Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Mutable Topics

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
Mutable Topics
« on: April 20, 2020, 11:32:41 AM »
Sometimes the world (or the slice of it devoted to sports, anyway) gets so obsessed with a topic that it dominates all internet discussion.

My twitter-topic (sports-related) peevs:

1) The fucking Jordan/Bulls doc.  Absolutely do not care.  Was exciting as a kid, but non-Auburn sports-nostalgia is not my jam.
2) The a.m. soccer crowd.  My morning feed is littered with "news" about the West Blothington Toppy Bottoms' new manager and the worries that the German Jelly Doughnuts ($1 to JFK) might get relegated to some other of the 9000 pro leagues.
3) Wailing and gnashing of teeth if there isn't....GASP...a full 2020-21 season of a pro league's season.  The horror...the horror.  Ditto the college fans crying about it.  So what if Eastern Washington doesn't get to cause optical nerve damage to opposing teams this year.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
Re: Mutable Topics
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2020, 12:13:03 PM »
Toppy Bottoms RULE!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2020, 12:32:21 PM »
Sometimes the world (or the slice of it devoted to sports, anyway) gets so obsessed with a topic that it dominates all internet discussion.

1) The fucking Jordan/Bulls doc.  Absolutely do not care.  Was exciting as a kid, but non-Auburn sports-nostalgia is not my jam.
2) The a.m. soccer crowd.  My morning feed is littered with "news" about the West Blothington Toppy Bottoms' new manager and the worries that the German Jelly Doughnuts ($1 to JFK) might get relegated to some other of the 9000 pro leagues.
3) Wailing and gnashing of teeth if there isn't....GASP...a full 2020-21 season of a pro league's season.  The horror...the horror.  Ditto the college fans crying about it.  So what if Eastern Washington doesn't get to cause optical nerve damage to opposing teams this year.
1) Mildly disagree.  Being reminded that no matter what anyone may say Kobe, LeBron or any of the people since are not in Jordan's world isn't terrible.  I do tend to like documentary-style things.  I thought the one about Shaq and Dale Brown was pretty good.  But they do have to humanize it and give me a reason to care.  While proving (again) that Jordan was just on a completely different level it didn't have enough human hook.  What might have been good, honestly, was to do something that talked about the fact that the two greatest athletes in human history were born about 90 days apart. Bo Jackson was born at the end of November, 1962 and Jordan was born Feb. 1963.  That's insane to me and a better documentary subject than just Jordan.  I did like him killing the stupid ass thug Pistons, though.  

2) 100% on board.  Do not give a fuck.  

3) Had already been trending this way, I guess, before the virus.  But I don't care, really.  If you told me there would never be another MLB season, another CFB season, another NBA season, another NFL season?  It wouldn't devastate me.  I think I'd be fine.  I could go the rest of my life and never watch another game and just don't think I would miss it at all.  Used to spend part of every day checking scores, watching highlights worrying about what the Braves, Red Sox, Auburn (football, basketball, baseball) or whatever were doing. I thought there would be a huge gap in my life without it.  There's just NOT.  It's not important.  I don't need it.  

I do wonder what all the illiterate twits who can barely keep it together WITH the (ridiculous) millions they earn from the game (I'm looking at your bitch ass Reuben Foster) would be doing if they didn't have that to keep them off the streets, but hey.  Prisons aren't THAT full.  

So let me move on to mine: 

A)  I don't care about the fucking draft.  I don't care that Tinka Turdybologna scored less than a plant stand would on the intelligence test.  Or that Jalen Hurts was the second worst score.  It's funny.  But I don't care.  I don't care that al.com is making excuses for him by claiming that Saban's offense hurt his draft stock (when his coaches actually say he was too fucking dumb to do anything else).  Well, I do care actually, I guess, but the fact is that I don't WANT to care any more.  I don't want to hear about it, see it, or have it occupy any portion of my mind.  

B) I'm honestly sort of glad all the organized sports leagues are shut down.  I've been sitting on my porch watching kids actually play with each other for weeks now.  Play like we used to.  Making shit out of nothing.   Some kids got the scraps from a housing site and built them a little fort in the common area of the neighborhood.  All day every day there are kids out riding bikes, playing with their dogs, chasing each other around... being kids.  Without this "oh-so-horrible!1! virus" you'd never see these kids out.  Their parents would be shuttling them to dance practice, baseball practice, softball practice, soccer practice, lacrosse, etc. etc. etc.   I think this way is actually better for the kids.  They damn sure seem happier.  I honestly had no idea there were this many kids even in the neighborhood.  

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2020, 12:42:59 PM »
1. Vehemently disagree. Anything that reminds the world that Lebron is nowhere in Michael's solar system is ok by me. Sorry but the dude was pure greatness. And that team in the 90s was a perfect storm that may not be seen again. The absolute dominance for a decade ala UCLA and the Celtics in the 70s. If not for MJ retiring twice (unnecessarily) , and Kraus wanting to break up the band for no other apparent reason than his own little man complex/ego - it would have been even more dominating.

I still stand by the opinion that these detailed documentary films are what espn does best now. And last night was just 2 of 10 hours of it. I get what K is saying in relation to the human aspect, but there are also 8 parts left. I have read from some media personalities that have screened all 10 parts already that some of the parts are really going to paint MJ in a bad personal light - meaning, if you didn't know then how he really was on the court, in practice and behind the scenes - you may be surprised at how ruthless and cold blooded he was. Much of that was instilled in him young with sibling rivalries. And some came purely out of the Pistons/Bulls rivalry in the late 80's which forced him to beef up and get ruthless.

2. TOTES Agree Counselor. 

3. 50/50....some things I miss. some I don't. I do miss opening day in baseball. Sat afternoons at Plainsman Park. I really missed March Madness. It was like when you were about to get some ass, all night. Got yourself worked up. Balls full on blue. Then she just goes home. Night over. CBB this year gave the symbolic blue balls. All that work and the end was taken away.....I missed the masters. I don't give a shit about NASCAR. Or tennis. Or golf not called the Masters. Or soccer. I miss a lot of the ones I do because I structured life around them. Whether it was grilling on the deck with the TV cranked up. Or hitting up buffalo wild wings or plainsman park. 
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 12:56:25 PM by GH2001 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2020, 01:48:07 PM »
On the topic of sports.  New England unveiled all new uniforms for 2020.  

Ole Miss pointed and laughed. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2020, 01:51:14 PM »
Re: #1

You're always quick to get misty-eyed and nostalgic, so this is pretty on brand for you.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2020, 01:54:24 PM »
1. Vehemently disagree. Anything that reminds the world that Lebron is nowhere in Michael's solar system is ok by me. Sorry but the dude was pure greatness. And that team in the 90s was a perfect storm that may not be seen again. The absolute dominance for a decade ala UCLA and the Celtics in the 70s. If not for MJ retiring twice (unnecessarily) , and Kraus wanting to break up the band for no other apparent reason than his own little man complex/ego - it would have been even more dominating.
Dude is the GOAT, no doubt.

I don't need 10 hours of broadcast and 10MM dipshits in my feed verifying that MJ did, indeed, excel at basketball.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2020, 01:59:39 PM »

I don't need 10 hours of broadcast and 10MM dipshits in my feed verifying that MJ did, indeed, excel at basketball.
You might not, but what about all the sniveling little dipshits who weren't lucky enough to see him play? 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2020, 02:44:22 PM »
You might not, but what about all the sniveling little dipshits who weren't lucky enough to see him play?
Fuck 'em.

F'real.  They're not going to change their minds.  This is a total nostalgia play for those that lived through it.

If anything, the kids are going to watch this series and the takeaway will be: wow...pretty good basketball player (for that time, old guys), but WHAT A FUCKING ASSHOLE.  I can't believe you old people idolize him.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 02:46:14 PM by wesfau2 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2020, 03:53:56 PM »

I think there is going to be a lot of info and footage revealed throughout it that was mostly unknown to the public. That’s the coolest part to me. The private footage of mj mocking kraus. Or him ridiculing longley. Or Armstrong in practice. As much as I followed mj I never saw that stuff. Only heard about it. It would also appear he is being interviewed from his house in Jupiter Fla. Must be a cool place to live.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2020, 05:29:35 PM »
Must be a cool place to live.
Most of us will never know
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2020, 03:38:24 PM »
Agree with GH in that the documentary films are easily ESPN's best work these days.  But 10 parts?  Nothing needs or deserves that much attention.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2020, 04:45:51 PM »
Agree with GH in that the documentary films are easily ESPN's best work these days.  But 10 parts?  Nothing needs or deserves that much attention.
I'd watch a 10 part documentary about Jumbo.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2020, 05:02:19 PM »
Well, that kind of goes without saying.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2020, 05:14:37 PM »

2) The a.m. soccer crowd.  My morning feed is littered with "news" about the West Blothington Toppy Bottoms' new manager and the worries that the German Jelly Doughnuts ($1 to JFK) might get relegated to some other of the 9000 pro leagues.
Your whole point is mute.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

GH2001

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2020, 05:40:51 PM »
Your whole point is mute.
It’s like a cows opinion. It’s moo
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2020, 11:15:45 AM »
That would be an injustice though.  How could you stop at just 10 episodes?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2020, 11:59:32 AM »
The anticipation of season 2 would be through the roof.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2020, 02:07:30 PM »
The spinoff series, Dumbass Escapades in Pasadena, would be must watch too.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2020, 02:13:45 PM »
The spinoff series, Dumbass Escapades in Pasadena, would be must watch too.
Most definitely
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions