Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Rocky Mountain, bye bye

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
Rocky Mountain, bye bye
« on: February 12, 2020, 09:20:28 AM »
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2020/02/11/michigan-state-hiring-mel-tucker/4734753002/?utm_source=feedblitz&utm_medium=FeedBlitzRss&utm_campaign=usatodaycomsports-topstories

Michigan State has hired Colorado football coach Mel Tucker, ending a wild seven-day search to replace Mark Dantonio, who abruptly and surprisingly retired on Feb. 4 after 13 seasons.

Tucker, 48, reached a deal early Wednesday to become the Spartans’ 25th head coach, according to a source with knowledge of the situation, barely three days after Tucker interviewed with MSU's search party and announced he was staying with the Buffaloes for a second season.

A different source says Tucker will make $5.3 mil a year and will have $6.4 mil for assistants. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Re: Rocky Mountain, bye bye
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 10:01:45 AM »
Look for the Spartans to become a player in the Big 10 again, sooner than later.  Not that Tucker is a great coach.  He just has the blueprint for how you "play the game".
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2020, 10:15:51 AM »
Look for the Spartans to become a player in the Big 10 again, sooner than later.  Not that Tucker is a great coach.  He just has the blueprint for how you "play the game".
He found Mr. Coarch Saban's green notebook?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2020, 10:51:33 AM »
He found Mr. Coarch Saban's green notebook?
He been saving those stamps long enough to get him a coffee pot. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

The Six

• My Linktree
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2020, 10:56:38 AM »
What's the ceiling for a team like Michigan State? Yes, they made the playoff for which they barely put up a fight. Can they win while Ohio State is on a roll? The administration there clearly wants to turn the page on past indiscretions and get back to winning, but that's a hard slog. I would think it's easier to convince a kid to come to Colorado than East Lansing, MI. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2020, 11:49:33 AM »
What's the ceiling for a team like Michigan State? Yes, they made the playoff for which they barely put up a fight. Can they win while Ohio State is on a roll? The administration there clearly wants to turn the page on past indiscretions and get back to winning, but that's a hard slog. I would think it's easier to convince a kid to come to Colorado than East Lansing, MI.
I can honestly say that I don't care. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2020, 12:15:53 PM »
To me, the Big 10 is obviously tOSU and everybody else.  No one has come close to consistently being a player at a top 5 or 6 in the country level.  Wisconsin is probably the closest as they seem to always come up with 10+ win seasons and more often than not, make the Rose Bowl.  Penn State looks like they might break through, but so far....nada. 

After that, it's a whole lot of nothing.  Harbaugh has been a colossal fail when you consider the hype and expectations.  He got steamrolled again by the Buckeyes again and I can't see Meatchicken fans putting up with that too much longer. The ceiling for Michigan State?  10 wins and a decent bowl most years.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2020, 02:34:06 PM »
Mich, Wisc, now Minn, and PSU - are all decent right now. Even good. Not great mind you. 

tSOU is very good....and loaded. 

I don't see MSU breaking through that circle. 

Mel is not a better coach than: day, harrrbawll, franklin, fleck. And all of those places other than Minn are better destinations for players than MSU, but Fleck more than makes up for that.  Dantonio was a good coach...I just don't see Tucker doing any better.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

GH2001

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2020, 02:41:05 PM »
To me, the Big 10 is obviously tOSU and everybody else.  No one has come close to consistently being a player at a top 5 or 6 in the country level.  Wisconsin is probably the closest as they seem to always come up with 10+ win seasons and more often than not, make the Rose Bowl.  Penn State looks like they might break through, but so far....nada.

After that, it's a whole lot of nothing.  Harbaugh has been a colossal fail when you consider the hype and expectations.  He got steamrolled again by the Buckeyes again and I can't see Meatchicken fans putting up with that too much longer. The ceiling for Michigan State?  10 wins and a decent bowl most years. 
like Auburn, isn't what MEEEECHEEGAN is doing under him about what they've historically done the last 50 years on avg? Since they hired Bo in 1969.

Harrrbawwwl isn't all that but the expectations are what make it look like a bigger failure than it probably is.

10-10-8-10-9 wins.

Schembeckler averaged around 9 a year.

Lloyd Carr - 8.5

Hoke, Rich Rod? Abyssmal. losing seasons.

the big difference I see is that Harbawlll loses more BIG games. And is awful in bowls. Meaning less bowls though, so does it matter really?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 02:43:21 PM by GH2001 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2020, 02:52:44 PM »
like Auburn, isn't what MEEEECHEEGAN is doing under him about what they've historically done the last 50 years on avg? Since they hired Bo in 1969.

Harrrbawwwl isn't all that but the expectations are what make it look like a bigger failure than it probably is.

10-10-8-10-9 wins.

Lloyd Carr - 8.5

the big difference I see is that Harbawlll loses more BIG games. And is awful in bowls. Meaning less bowls though, so does it matter really?
So he's Gus.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2020, 02:54:44 PM »

10-10-8-10-9 wins.

Lloyd Carr - 8.5

Both Schembechler and Carr both averaged over 9 wins a season.  Carr was 122-40 in 13 seasons coaching one of the X-Men.  The thing to keep in mind with Bo is they only played a 10 game schedule for the first part of his tenure, then went to 11 after that.  Carr always had an 11 game regular season schedule.  9+ win average is pretty skippy playing that number of games.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2020, 08:00:57 PM »
Both Schembechler and Carr both averaged over 9 wins a season.  Carr was 122-40 in 13 seasons coaching one of the X-Men.  The thing to keep in mind with Bo is they only played a 10 game schedule for the first part of his tenure, then went to 11 after that.  Carr always had an 11 game regular season schedule.  9+ win average is pretty skippy playing that number of games. 
Typo on my part - 9.5 not 8.5.

So they’re all roughly 9ish per season coaches. If Jim is averaging that or more, why is he considered a failure? Even on winning % he’s up there on par with Michigan all time. He just loses a lot of big games. GF kind of nailed it. He’s gus. No seriously. Except gus has beaten bammer 3 times. Harbawll ain’t close to tosu. If Jim wins two of those bowls he’s averaging 10 a year. Other than desmonds era and Charles woodsons heisman year when has Michigan ever scared anyone or been a juggernaut ala Clemson, LSU, bama. He’s really about on par for Michigan football the last 50-60 years. Lot of wins. Not a lot of anything else. 
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 08:05:12 PM by GH2001 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2020, 11:39:21 PM »
I went to a TU gathering when Tuberville was coach.  He said, make no mistake, beating Bama is priority one.  If you want to stay at Auburn, you have to beat them.  Harbaugh has failed...miserably.  MISERABLY!!!  9...10...11 win seasons mean nothing if your rival is punking your ass.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Six

• My Linktree
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2020, 08:00:17 AM »
Michigan loves Harbaugh for three reasons:
1) He's one of theirs
b) He wins a good number of games and rarely gets embarrassed (except against Ohio State which they all know is cheating like hell)
iii) He runs a "clean" program and upholds what it means to be a "Michigan man"

Would they like to beat Ohio State? Yes, very much. Would they like to make a run at the playoff? Sure. Are they willing to take all the steps necessary to do those? Nope. Same as Notre Dame and the Irish are coached by a real asshole. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2020, 10:03:09 AM »
1) He's one of theirs
b) He wins a good number of games and rarely gets embarrassed (except against Ohio State which they all know is cheating like hell)

Would they like to beat Ohio State? Yes, very much. Would they like to make a run at the playoff? Sure. Are they willing to take all the steps necessary to do those? Nope. Same as Notre Dame and the Irish are coached by a real asshole.
Harbaugh is 47-18 overall.  He's 32-12 in conference and 1-4 in Bowl games.  Of those 12 conference losses, 5 are to tOSU where they are giving up an average of 45 points a game.

I don't know if anyone can say he's on the proverbial hot seat, but I think it's safe to say the shine done wore off.  And I doubt seriously they're going to continue giving him a pass based on the "Well, we all know the Buckeyes are cheating" card.  I think we all have a pretty good idea what's going on at the Crapstoned, but you still have to beat em' every now and then. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2020, 08:54:40 PM »
Harbaugh is 47-18 overall.  He's 32-12 in conference and 1-4 in Bowl games.  Of those 12 conference losses, 5 are to tOSU where they are giving up an average of 45 points a game.

I don't know if anyone can say he's on the proverbial hot seat, but I think it's safe to say the shine done wore off.  And I doubt seriously they're going to continue giving him a pass based on the "Well, we all know the Buckeyes are cheating" card.  I think we all have a pretty good idea what's going on at the Crapstoned, but you still have to beat em' every now and then.
I don’t disagree. Just saying I don’t think he’s the colossal failure of a coach there that the media and their fans like to portray. I think the expectations were asssstronomical when he was hired.

Michigan should learn from Awbren that to compete with a juggernaut that’s cheating, you have to as well - but much quieter and less obvious. “Clean” program wink wink. 
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 08:57:09 PM by GH2001 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2020, 08:34:13 AM »
Of those 12 conference losses, 5 are to tOSU where they are giving up an average of 45 points a game.
This right here is how I know the Michigan/Ohio State rivalry doesn't come close to the Iron Bowl.  0-5 vs Auburn will cost a Bama coach their job, no matter what their record.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2020, 08:50:58 AM »
This right here is how I know the Michigan/Ohio State rivalry doesn't come close to the Iron Bowl.  0-5 vs Auburn will cost a Bama coach their job, no matter what their record.
Three sir!

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2020, 11:06:44 AM »
Image result for Tootsie Pop Owl images
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2020, 04:07:59 PM »
1) He's one of theirs

You out of your mind. 

Michigan does NOT love Harbaugh by any stretch of the imagination.  They're just swirling in a mass of "if he can't get it done here, who can?" despair.  They don't want to admit that he's not getting them the results they want.  They don't give a drop of piss in an ocean of acetone about beating Northwestern or Idaho or Tulsa or any of that shit.  His job is to beat OSU, Penn State and Michigan State.  Period. 

He's 0-fer against Ohio State.  He's 50/50 against Penn State. He's barely above .500 against Michigan State during a period when they haven't been all that good.  State punked his ass when the hype train had Michigan riding at fifth in the country in his first or second year.

Don't fool yourself. There is zero love for Harbaugh.  Other than a few chuckleheads in the administration (sound familiar?) the vast majority of Wolverines are done with him.  He gets no love. 

Edited: 
The googles just coughed up this nugget for me: 
https://www.si.com/college/michigan/football/michigan-wolverines-football-what-does-jim-harbaugh-have-to-do-to-win-back-frustrated-friends

« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 04:11:19 PM by Kaos »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions