• My Fighting Pearls
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
Re: Auburn Beisbols 2020
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2020, 04:08:42 PM »
Dammit people this is 2020 can we not create a new thread.  Good lord it's like living among the cave people.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2020, 04:30:17 PM »
Dammit people this is 2020 can we not create a new thread.  Good lord it's like living among the cave people.
Image result for Caveman on a computer images
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2020, 04:38:02 PM »
Image result for Caveman on a computer images
Your technology frightens and scares me.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2020, 04:46:17 PM »
Your technology frightens and scares me.
Sometimes the honking horns of your traffic make me want to get out of my BMW.. and runoff into the hills, or wherever.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2020, 06:20:58 PM »
https://d1baseball.com/season-preview/top-25-breakdown-no-8-auburn/

D1Baseball Season Preview

Top 25 Breakdown: No. 8 Auburn
SEASON PREVIEW Aaron Fitt - January 14, 2020

2019 Record: 38-28. RPI: 19.
Coach (Record at school): Butch Thompson (141-104 in 4 seasons)
Ballpark: Plainsman Park (4,100)
Postseason History: 22 regionals (active streak: 3), 5 CWS trips (active streak: 1).
More: Fall Report on Auburn
Schedule, Stats, Team News: Follow the Tigers all season long at our Auburn Team Page.

Auburn's Projected Lineup
Pos. Name, Yr. AVG/OBP/SLG HR RBI SB
C Matt Scheffler, Sr. .260/.331/.342 2 28 5
1B Rankin Woley, Sr. .277/.336/.387 3 45 2
2B Garrett Farquhar, Jr. Tr. — Shelton State (Ala.) JC
3B Brody Moore, So. .333/.379/.444 0 4 0
SS Ryan Bliss, So. .281/.367/.369 3 37 11
LF Judd Ward, Jr. .272/.377/.393 5 34 5
CF Kason Howell, So. .262/.340/.307 0 28 14
RF Steven Williams, Jr. .247/.355/.413 9 36 3
DH Conor Davis, Sr. .290/.351/.448 8 36 2
Pos. Name, Yr. W-L ERA IP SO BB SV
SP #1 Tanner Burns, Jr. 4-4 2.82 79.2 101 23 0
SP #2 Jack Owen, Jr. 4-2 2.75 68.2 59 14 0
SP #3 Bailey Horn, Jr. 4-2 5.97 37.2 31 20 0
Closer Cody Greenhill, Jr. 2-3 3.45 57.1 44 18 12

Grading The Tigers
Just as scouts grade prospects using the 20-80 scouting scale, we use a 20-80 scale to evaluate teams in our top 25. A score of 50 in each category is average, relative to a typical NCAA tournament team; 55 is slightly above-average; 60 is above-average (plus); 70 is well above-average (plus-plus); 80 is top of the scale, historically strong. Accordingly, 45 is fringe-average or slightly below-average; 40 is below-average; 30 is well below-average; and 20 is the extreme in that direction.

Hitting: 55
Auburn’s offense under-performed for much of last season, finishing ninth in the SEC in batting and 10th in scoring. But seven everyday regulars are back in the fold, and there’s reason to believe many of them will take steps forward with another year of experience under their belts. It might not be a flashy offense, but Auburn figures to get plenty of competitive at-bats up and down the lineup. The Tigers have a trio of gritty, athletic fire-starters with good bat-handling skills in Ward, Bliss and Howell, who could all compete for time in the top two spots in the batting order, but Auburn hopes all three can reduce their strikeout rates in 2020. Ward, a compact lefthanded hitter with a nice line-drive, gap-to-gap approach, is a warrior in the batter’s box and could be the favorite for the leadoff spot. Bliss and Howell are contact-oriented hitters from the right side, but Howell in particular stood out this fall for his strength gains, making him an obvious breakout candidate.

Hitting coach Gabe Gross identified Woley as one of Auburn’s most improved hitters this fall, so look for a jump from last year’s decent production. Williams and Davis figure to be the centerpieces of the offense; Williams also put on good weight in the offseason and showed a much-improved ability to drive the ball middle-away. Scheffler’s calling card is his defense, but he also made noticeable strength gains after spending the summer working out with Williams and Howell. Juco transfer Farquhar turned in one quality at-bat after another in the fall, and his line-drive stroke should play well in his first season at the Division I level. And Moore looks poised to take a step forward as a sophomore after showing glimpses of offensive potential as a freshman.

Power: 45
Auburn ranked next-to-last in the SEC in home runs and slugging a year ago, and it lost its top two home run hitters in Edouard Julien and Will Holland. But Williams has light-tower power from the left side and could realistically double his eight-homer output from a year ago now that he’s added strength and made strides with his offensive approach. The physically mature Davis offers double-digit homer ability from the right side and has a knack for delivering the timely hit. It’s reasonable to expect Woley and Ward to hit for a little more power this year as well, though neither profiles as a true slugger. Freshman two-way talent Nate LaRue, the likely backup catcher, brings exciting bat speed and power potential from the right side, but it’s unclear how many at-bats he’ll log as a freshman, particularly since he could wind up as a key bullpen arm. Expect this to be more of a doubles team than a long ball squad.

Speed: 50
The Tigers were an efficient basestealing team a year ago, swiping 63 bags in 76 attempts (an 83 percent success rate). Howell (14-for-16) and Bliss (11-for-13) are the top two threats on the basepaths — both are above-average runners who pick their spots well. Ward is a solid-average to slightly above-average runner, while Moore and Farquhar move around fine, though neither is a burner. Scheffler also runs well for a catcher, showing fringe-average run times from home to first. But the speed game doesn’t figure to be a big part of Auburn’s attack, overall.

Defense: 55
The Tigers were an average defensive team last spring, ranking 78th in the nation with a .973 fielding percentage, but their returning experience should translate to more defensive consistency in 2020. Scheffler is the general, a mature defensive catcher who blocks and receives well and owns off a strong, accurate arm and quick release, though LaRue offers even more arm strength. Howell and Ward are outstanding in the outfield, and Williams owns a cannon in right field. Farquhar is a fundamentally sound, reliable second baseman, and Moore is a fluid athlete who looks the part at the hot corner, though he could also slide to shortstop if needed. The biggest question is whether Auburn will move Bliss from second (where he was very good last year) to short; his arm is a little light for the position, but he can make up for it by aggressively charging the ball and getting rid of it quickly and accurately.

Starting Pitching: 65

Pitching looks like Auburn’s greatest strength in 2020, and it starts with the loaded weekend rotation. Burns should be one of the nation’s premier aces, with a 91-95 mph fastball, a putaway slider, solid changeup and good command. The key for him is maintaining his strength all season long, and coach Butch Thompson suggested that something as simple as an added emphasis on hydration could help him do that. Owen is a finesse lefty with advanced feel for an 86-90 fastball, a plus changeup in the low 80s and a decent curveball, and he proved himself as a reliable SEC starter last spring after transferring in from the juco ranks.

Horn, a fourth-year junior lefty, is the big pick to click after working his way back from injury and coming on strong down the stretch last spring. Physical and athletic with a nice three-pitch mix, Horn was overpowering in our look this fall, pitching at 92-93 with a good slider at 81-82, and he owns a quality changeup as well. A third lefty, sophomore Brooks Fuller, also has starting experience (eight starts among his 20 appearances last year). Like Owen, Fuller has a long, loose arm action and good deception that makes his 86-89 mph fastball play up, and his calling card is a very nice big-breaking curveball at 75-78. Fuller looks like the favorite to serve as the midweek starter.

Bullpen: 65

Auburn’s pitching staff is deeper than it has been in years, giving Thompson an exciting collection of weapons to complement one of the SEC’s premier closers in Greenhill. A proven warrior who competes as hard as any pitcher in college baseball, Greenhill’s bread and butter are his lively fastball and his aggressiveness. The Tigers are still trying to figure out how best to deploy him to get the most out of him, because he has tended to show premium velocity (think 95-97) in his first appearance of a weekend, then lesser stuff (maybe 89-90) in his second outing. Perhaps the answer is to use him once per weekend for multiple innings as a stopper/long reliever hybrid. Auburn will certainly have enough arms in the bullpen that it shouldn’t need to rely on Greenhill to close out multiple games per week. Senior righty Ryan Watson has loads of experience and decent enough stuff — a nice downer breaking ball at 73-77 with good bite to go along with his 89-90 fastball. Another intriguing returning arm is sophomore lefthander Garrett Wade, the highest-profile member of last year’s recruiting class. Wade made seven starts and eight relief appearances as a freshman but logged just 33.1 innings, as spotty command held him back. He has a quick arm and a promising slider and changeup, making him something of an X-factor on this staff, a potential difference maker if he can refine his command and continue to “get comfortable,” as Thompson put it.

Sophomores Carson Skipper and Richard Fitts each got a taste of starting in SEC play last spring, and Thompson said both of them made jumps this fall. Skipper, a 6-foot-3 lefty with an over-the-top Iron Mike-style delivery, worked downhill at 88-90 and showed excellent tumble and arm speed on his 80-83 changeup in our fall look. Fitts really stands out for his advanced command of a low-90s fastball, but he also mixes in a decent low-80s slider effectively.

Auburn’s strong recruiting class brought a bushel of reinforcements for the bullpen. Freshman Hayden Mullins is one of the biggest names in the class, a 6-foot lefty who has been up to 94 mph with feel for a breaking ball and good pitchability. Trace Bright, a 6-4 righty, has looked even better than the Tigers expected this fall, working at 90-92 with a promising breaking ball and the ability to land his changeup for strikes. Freshman righty Mason Barnett missed time in the fall with a stress fracture in his back but was up to 95 mph last year. LaRue owns a clean high three-quarters arm action and worked at 89-91 with a wicked hammer curveball at 78-79 in the fall. Expect low three-quarters righty Blake Burkhalter to serve as another big bullpen weapon. He sat 89-92 with funk and life this fall and has good two-plane action on his 78-81 slider. Lefty Peyton Glavine, the son of Hall of Famer Tom Glavine, is a 5-foot-11 bulldog with a longer three-quarters arm action and some front-side funk that makes his 87-89 fastball play up, and the pitch has good arm-side run when it’s down in the zone. He also showed feel for a nice fading changeup at 82. Two more juco transfers to watch are Jackson Reynolds and Drew Baker, the latter of whom showed big-time arm strength in the fall along with command that remained a work in progress. A three-quarters righty with a short, quick arm action, Baker sat 91-94 and touched 95 in our fall look.

Experience/Intangibles: 65

The regular season was a grind for Auburn last spring, but the Tigers showed admirable toughness and resilience, and their high character really carried them through the postseason to Omaha for the first time since 1997. Those attributes figure to remain major strengths once again, because this team is loaded with experienced veterans who now know the way to Omaha. Expectations will be higher entering this season than they have been in a long time on the Plains, but this group has the makeup and leadership to thrive under the spotlight.

So if we add all of those numbers up, (Fuck y'all!  I was told there would be no math on the X) carry the 3, subtract 1, add by 40/20ths or 12.65% and divide by zero we get an overall average of 50?  So we are an average team ranked 8th.  Something seems off with that. 

If that is how it works.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2020, 08:57:33 PM »
The first one was a mistake, the second was on purpose.  :poke:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2020, 08:29:53 AM »

So if we add all of those numbers up, (Fuck y'all!  I was told there would be no math on the X) carry the 3, subtract 1, add by 40/20ths or 12.65% and divide by zero we get an overall average of 50?  So we are an average team ranked 8th.  Something seems off with that. 

If that is how it works.
yeah your math. 57 bitch!  We are fringe good!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2020, 11:54:46 AM »
Not a fan of our early schedule.  While I have no idea if Illinois-Chicago and Chicago State and Alabama A&M etc. are solid programs, there's really nobody on the pre-conference slate that you would consider big time biesbols names.  We do play Georgia Tech just before we open conference play with Texas A&M.  The other problem is they play the first 24 games at home.

Obviously, that doesn't sound like a "problem".  It's just that I'd much rather them be a little battle-tested before they get into SEC play.  Take a trip to Miami or Texas for a series.  Do a left coast swing to face Pepperdine and UCLA. Squaring off against DeVry Institute in a 3-game tilt does nothing to prepare you for LSU. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2020, 02:37:23 PM »
Don't sleep on those teams from Chicago.  They will steal every chance they get.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2020, 02:57:22 PM »
Don't sleep on those teams from Chicago.  They will steal every chance they get.
They like to gang up on you.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2020, 03:29:15 PM »
They like to gang up on you.
Their defense is good too.  It's like they impose their will on you.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2020, 03:12:59 PM »
The baseball Tigers open up Friday against the UIC (Univ. Illinois-Chicago) Flames.  UIC was 29-23 last year and won their Horizon League tourney to make the Regionals where they were put out in 2 games against Louisville and Indiana.  In games against Power 5 schools, they were 0-1 vs. Georgia Tech and took one out of 3 from Texas A&M.  They also beat Northwestern.

They will play 1 game Friday, a double-dipper on Saturday and finish up with one on Sunday.  I have no clue what last year's results mean for this year's squad.  I just wanted to post as if I actually knew something.

Here's to a good start.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2020, 03:33:06 PM »
The baseball Tigers open up Friday against the UIC (Univ. Illinois-Chicago) Flames.  UIC was 29-23 last year and won their Horizon League tourney to make the Regionals where they were put out in 2 games against Louisville and Indiana.  In games against Power 5 schools, they were 0-1 vs. Georgia Tech and took one out of 3 from Texas A&M.  They also beat Northwestern.

They will play 1 game Friday, a double-dipper on Saturday and finish up with one on Sunday.  I have no clue what last year's results mean for this year's squad.  I just wanted to post as if I actually knew something.

Here's to a good start.
Sad, so sad that you need to feel good about yourself.  You need to look in the mirror and say "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and dog gone it, people like me.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2020, 03:37:24 PM »
Sad, so sad that you need to feel good about yourself.  You need to look in the mirror and say "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and dog gone it, people like me.

Image result for Stuart Smalley images
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2020, 08:35:49 PM »
Image result for Stuart Smalley images
Live picture of snags at Panera bread 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2020, 10:50:18 PM »
Live picture of snags at Panera bread
IPanera???  Nurra please.  I go to Atlanta Bread.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2020, 10:52:16 PM »
Have we lost yet? Are we still shitty?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2020, 12:41:47 PM »
Good piece from Jeff Shearer at auburntigersdot I am a gay twerker that has no balls!!!!  I also have no idea how to use the quote function to post stories, so I annoy the piss out of others.  I like male genatalia in and around my mouth.  Didn't realize they had this much experience returning.  I'm not getting lathered up about them just yet because honestly, they weren't that good in the regular season last season.  I believe 29-23.  They just got hot at the right time.  But this is definitely encouraging.

AUBURN, Ala. – Conor Davis has witnessed firsthand the progression of Auburn's baseball program.
When he was a freshman, the Tigers played in a regional. His sophomore season, Auburn made it to a super regional. As a junior last year, Davis helped the Tigers reach the College World Series for the first time in 22 years.
"It just shows that Coach Thompson is leading this program the right way," said Davis, who hit a home run and two doubles in Auburn's final game in Omaha, the first Tiger with three extra-base hits in a CWS game. "Everyone is falling behind what he has to say and everyone believes everything he says, which is huge. You have a bunch of guys who want to go out there and compete for their head coach and play for the program that's on the front of our jersey."
Auburn baseball fans will see familiar names throughout the lineup, with seven of nine position starters returning. Fifth-year head coach Butch Thompson has multiple options to replace departed stars Edouard Julien at third base and Will Holland at shortstop.
Ryan Bliss, an SEC All-Freshman team member in 2019 at second base, moves to shortstop. Senior Rankin Woley and sophomores Tyler Miller and Brody Moore, whom Thompson says can play six positions, are candidates at third base, while junior college transfer Garrett Farquhar has impressed teammates in his bid for the second base spot.
"We already call him a seasoned vet," Bliss said of his potential double-play partner. "He's only been here a couple months. That guy, he can play. A gritty guy, Hoover quarterback star, comes out to work every single day. A really solid ballplayer. The Auburn fans are really going to hear his name this season."
Auburn returns almost all of its pitching, including standouts Tanner Burns, Jack Owen, Bailey Horn, Richard Fitts and preseason All-America closer Cody Greenhill.
"We've got some guys who have a ton of experience that we hang our hat on," Thompson said. "They've all performed great and are doing things to get ready."
Auburn will use part of a season-opening 23-game homestand to give 18 newcomers opportunities to earn roles. It will also give new pitching coach Tim Hudson, one of Auburn's all-time greats, a chance to adjust to his role.
"I was thrilled that Butch thought enough of me to offer me that position," said Hudson, a 17-year Major League Baseball veteran who starred on Auburn's 1997 College World Series team. "I'm very happy for the chance." 
"I think adding somebody with 222 major league wins, somebody who's thrown Game Seven of the World Series, and won a World Series, somebody with his experience, adds the last piece of the prong that makes our Auburn pitching development plan about as good as anybody's in America," Thompson said.
 "Tim Hudson is a huge, defining piece to make the prongs of this pitching development second to none."
Last season's trip to Omaha earned respect from the college baseball community, with several preseason polls ranking Auburn in the top 10.
Not only has Conor Davis witnessed Auburn's ascension, he's played a pivotal role in it. The next step in his senior season would be returning to Omaha and advancing in the College World Series.
"Coach Thompson has definitely carried us the right way," Davis said. "As long as we follow what he's been teaching us, the sky is the limit for Auburn baseball."
Jeff Shearer is a Senior Writer at AuburnTigers.com. Follow him on Twitter: @jeff_shearer
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions