What do YOU mean, you people?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
Re: 2020 Installment of MLB Bitchin' & Moanin'
« Reply #61 on: January 24, 2020, 12:09:36 PM »
What do YOU mean, you people?
Tuggernuts?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

« Reply #62 on: January 24, 2020, 03:02:26 PM »
Yeah I hate baseball
Please write a Yelp review. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #63 on: February 11, 2020, 04:43:37 PM »
Alright, let's talk some biesbols.  I'll throw out a quick rundown of my Bravos and I expect some analysis from you ladies on your favorite club.

Let me say first off, I think this is as solid a club as we've had in quite a long time from top to bottom.  Which means they'll fall flat on their collective faces and win 73 games.  Honestly, the last two division titles were totally unexpected and may have been won by default as much as anything else.  The division just hasn't been very good overall, despite Washington catching fire at exactly the right time.  But still, the Braves were solid because of A.) Donaldson having a good year and hitting behind Freeman, which finally gave him some real protection, and B.) The emergence of several very young guys on the bump, like Soroka and Fried.  Plus, Acuna, Jr. put in an unbelievable all-around season. 

The Ups for 2020:  Everyone is back with the exception of JD.  The young pitchers are more experienced and other young guys in the field like Acuna and Albies should....should only be better with another year under their belts.  Kind of an unknown because of his age, but you have to think the rotation got better with the addition of Cole Hamels.  Also, they added Will Smith, from San Fran, as the closer.  He had an ERA of around 2.50 and 34 saves.  Big guy who gets a ton of strikeouts.  It's been a while since we didn't have closer by committee and hopefully, he'll take over that spot and we have someone we can trust out of the pen. 

Brian Sign Stealing Cheater McCann retired so the Braves signed well traveled, Travis d'Arnaud.  He played with 3 different teams last year; however, still managed a nice stat line of .251 16/69.  Honestly, if he can up those numbers even a little as the every day catcher, it's already a huge upgrade at that position.  Hell, I would be an upgrade over Tyler Flowers.   

The Downs: The glaring loss is obviously Josh Donaldson.  Marcel Ozuna was picked up, possibly on a one year rent-a-stick contract.  If he reclaims some of his magic from his last year in a Marlins uni, life will be pretty damn good as a Braves fan.  If he plays like he did as a Red Bird, we'll definitely feel the sting of losing JD. 

If Hamels stays healthy and gives us 14-15 wins, he'll be worth the price.  But as much as I like this staff for the Braves future, Hamels is not what I was looking for in the off-season.  I think they're solid.  But there's no #1.  There's no Kershaw or Verlander or Strasburg or Scherzer.  How long ago was it now that we had 3 guys we could hand the ball to and think "W"?  I wanted them to find just one.  Didn't happen.

As nit-picky as this sounds, the one thing that makes me question the sanity of management is allowing Luke Jackson anywhere within 35 miles of the stadium.  Why is this guy on this, or any other Major League roster?  I truly believe Kaos could sit on the slider he throws weakly 90% of the time and bat .300. 

The Bottom Line: I think the Braves are a little better and certainly more experienced than last year.  Not huge, but certainly improved on paper.  I didn't see the division get any stronger overall, so I look for the ATL to be right there for a division title at the end and a wildcard spot at worst.

Get to it!!!  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #64 on: February 11, 2020, 04:56:55 PM »
Pitchers and catchers reported for the Cubs today and I have no idea what their bullpen will look like this season.  They have lost a lot and haven't made very many moves in the offseason. Not sure who the 5th starter will be either.
Hell, I'm not even sure they will have uniforms and everything.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #65 on: February 11, 2020, 06:05:57 PM »
Pitchers and catchers reported for the Cubs today and I have no idea what their bullpen will look like this season.  They have lost a lot and haven't made very many moves in the offseason. Not sure who the 5th starter will be either.
Pretty sure most of them have uniforms.  There's plenty of time to get em' for the rest.

The thing that would concern me is there's probably a fairly short window to get back to the Series, at least pitching-wise.  Not that there's anyone "old" per se, but a lot of guys are on the back side of that prime in the starting rotation. The line up looks solid and should light up the scoreboard.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #66 on: February 11, 2020, 08:28:44 PM »
Here is my thing with Donaldson and to a lesser degree freeman. Sure they had nice seasons. But when it mattered. In the playoffs. They didn’t do jack fuckin shit. Freddie had the broken finger thing going on so I get it. He toughed it out. But Donaldson hit 250 for the season and 150 when it counted in the playoffs.

The biggest loss from Donaldson? Defense. He had one of the best defensive stat lines in the league. But a 35 year old who JUST plays good defense and goes all or nothing on the long ball is not worth 100 million. Not when he only hits 250. And not when he’s MIA when you need him most.

You know who did show up in the playoffs once his team got there? Ozuna

The Braves May have a drop off. Who knows. But it won’t have anything to do with Donaldson. More than likely luke jackson. Always blame Luke Jackson.

I do like the addition of Hamels. Yeah he’s past his prime but still a quality starter with a ton of invaluable experience. 
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 08:33:12 PM by GH2001 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

« Reply #67 on: February 12, 2020, 08:34:21 AM »
I'm curious how Rossy will do, honestly. 

You know what Central team is going to be much improved this year?  The Reds.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #68 on: February 12, 2020, 09:19:55 AM »
I'm curious how Rossy will do, honestly.

You know what Central team is going to be much improved this year?  The Reds.
Yep.  Guy I work with is a huge Reds fan and that's all I have been hearing over the winter...that this is finally their year.  I asked him if he was really a Cubs fan.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #69 on: February 12, 2020, 10:09:57 AM »
Yep.  Guy I work with is a huge Reds fan and that's all I have been hearing over the winter...that this is finally their year.  I asked him if he was really a Cubs fan.
Well, they do have this guy playing every position on the field.  He's a goofy looking S.O.B., but I think I have a mild case of man love going here.

Image result for Michael Lorenzen images
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #70 on: February 12, 2020, 10:13:39 AM »
Huge too.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #71 on: February 12, 2020, 10:14:46 AM »
Just saw that the final piece to the 2020 WS run just fell into place for the Cubs.  Signed Jason Kipnis to a Minor League deal!  
/thread
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #72 on: February 12, 2020, 10:19:36 AM »
Just saw that the final piece to the 2020 WS run just fell into place for the Cubs.  Signed Jason Kipnis to a Minor League deal! 
/thread
#winning
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #73 on: February 12, 2020, 10:37:18 AM »
Speaking of minor league contracts, I believe I saw where the Braves signed Charlie Culberson to one.  Not that he's an all star or anything.  He's one of those invaluable guys that can play just about every position on the field and seems to come up with clutch pinch hits all the time.  He's not on the active roster so I wonder if he's not ready mentally after getting his face bashed in by a 95+ fastball late last year. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #74 on: February 12, 2020, 10:52:55 AM »
Jar, fill me in on your Cards.  Who is in the rotation?  I see Mikolas and Flaherty but other than Waino, I really don't recognize a lot of names.  Maybe if I paid attention???

Looks like they stayed pretty much in tact with the entire infield, but outside of Dexter Fowler in the outfield, I'm not familiar with a lot of those guys. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #75 on: February 12, 2020, 11:06:18 AM »
Jar, fill me in on your Cards.  Who is in the rotation?  I see Mikolas and Flaherty but other than Waino, I really don't recognize a lot of names.  Maybe if I paid attention???

Looks like they stayed pretty much in tact with the entire infield, but outside of Dexter Fowler in the outfield, I'm not familiar with a lot of those guys.
They didn't do much this off season.  Just about everyone is back, except for one OF spot, and I'd expect rookie Austin Dean to be there by the time it's all said and done.  Dex, Bader, and then Dean in the OF.  Around the infield, Goldy, Wong, DeJong, and Carp.  You know the catcher, who is in the last year of his contract.

Starting rotation - Flaherty will be the ace, Hudson, Mikolas, and Waino (also in the last year of his contract).  Guessing the last spot will be Martinez or DeLeon.

Bullpen - Signed some guy from Korea, Kwang-Hyun Kim (could also be a starter).

Biggest question, honestly, is if Yadi and Waino decide to hang it up after this year, and what the last weekend of the season will be if they let Waino make a start?  Won't be a dry eye in the stadium.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #76 on: February 12, 2020, 02:27:30 PM »
They didn't do much this off season.  Just about everyone is back, except for one OF spot, and I'd expect rookie Austin Dean to be there by the time it's all said and done.  Dex, Bader, and then Dean in the OF.  Around the infield, Goldy, Wong, DeJong, and Carp.  You know the catcher, who is in the last year of his contract.

Starting rotation - Flaherty will be the ace, Hudson, Mikolas, and Waino (also in the last year of his contract).  Guessing the last spot will be Martinez or DeLeon.

Bullpen - Signed some guy from Korea, Kwang-Hyun Kim (could also be a starter).

Biggest question, honestly, is if Yadi and Waino decide to hang it up after this year, and what the last weekend of the season will be if they let Waino make a start?  Won't be a dry eye in the stadium.

ws champs 2020 - prob a sweep...over the Yankees. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

GH2001

« Reply #77 on: February 12, 2020, 02:28:07 PM »
/thread
kind of like a long snapper in the sec - imagine if there Cubs signed Dax. Whooo boy. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #78 on: February 12, 2020, 02:34:04 PM »
kind of like a long snapper in the sec - imagine if there Cubs signed Dax. Whooo boy.
The Cubs can't afford Dax.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #79 on: February 12, 2020, 02:38:36 PM »
We would be talking Dynasty
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions