Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Dilly Dilly...leaving for FSU

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
Re: Dilly Dilly...leaving for FSU
« Reply #100 on: December 16, 2019, 11:05:50 AM »
The mega-salary world of P5 football isn't analogous to the "real world."

If he's winning at a Saban/Dabo clip...or, hell, even a Jimbo level...this probably isn't an issue.  But the optics are horrible when you lose as spectacularly (and to schools who have no business beating an SEC team) as he did.  The appearance should have been that he was camped out in the athletic complex working on a plan to right the ship.  Instead he dicked off to Dallas every Friday.
Wes, I by no means am excited about the Morris hire. I will say that the time Morris had as OC and also HC at SMU, he was successful. Maybe the big lights of the SEC was too big for him as a HC. Perhaps there too many other issues at Ark to overcome on top of trying to rebuild. Maybe his failures were a combo of both. All this has already been mentioned. Also mentioned, is that Gus will run HIS offense regardless of who is the OC. Yes Gus hired an old buddy that sucked at his previous employment. It is what it is now. I just hope Morris can help in QB development and the WR route tree. If he does, well we are better off than we were.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #101 on: December 16, 2019, 12:05:29 PM »
Wes, I by no means am excited about the Morris hire. I will say that the time Morris had as OC and also HC at SMU, he was successful. Maybe the big lights of the SEC was too big for him as a HC. Perhaps there too many other issues at Ark to overcome on top of trying to rebuild. Maybe his failures were a combo of both. All this has already been mentioned. Also mentioned, is that Gus will run HIS offense regardless of who is the OC. Yes Gus hired an old buddy that sucked at his previous employment. It is what it is now. I just hope Morris can help in QB development and the WR route tree. If he does, well we are better off than we were.
Kevin Steele was 9-36 at Baylor (1-31 in conference)

all I'm saying is everyone could be right about Morris, however, good coordinators do not always make good head coaches.  I would like to see him, coach before I make a determination.  I lean more towards Arkansas is a shitty place to coach (sorry Hog Fans) 
« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 12:07:28 PM by Godfather »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

djsimp

« Reply #102 on: December 16, 2019, 01:56:55 PM »
Kevin Steele was 9-36 at Baylor (1-31 in conference)

all I'm saying is everyone could be right about Morris, however, good coordinators do not always make good head coaches.  I would like to see him, coach before I make a determination.  I lean more towards Arkansas is a shitty place to coach (sorry Hog Fans)
Well that's pretty much where I'm at, or at least where my hopes are.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #103 on: December 16, 2019, 02:16:28 PM »
I get it, his resume wasn't horrible when he was hired.  He may be the real deal as an OC.

I'm not talking strictly about his coaching abilities (though there were monumental failures in this regard at Arky), but his entire approach to being in that role. 

I don't think much of the guy having watched him up close (yes, I spend an inordinate amount of time around/with Hog fans) and I can't fathom a single positive thing he adds to justify his price tag.  I don't really want him in our locker room after watching the shittastic handling of his personnel.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #104 on: December 16, 2019, 03:12:45 PM »
I'm ambiguvalent about the hire.  On one hand, you can look at the successes Morris has had as an OC.  Obviously, that's what we should be focused on and should give us hope.  I don't read much of anything into his time as a head corch because I've said a hundred times that there are little to no similarities between handling one aspect of a program and taking over something the size of an SEC program and all the moving parts that go with it.  It's kind of like Malzahn in that I think most people have long believed he's best suited as an OC and overmatched with the main headset on.

Now having said that, there's nothing that would make me believe that Morris will have any real input into running the offensive show.  Gus can say it all he wants and even put it in writing, but at the end of the day, he's still calling the shots.  Also, I've seen many say they hope Morris can help with the QB position.  The thing that gives me pause is that there were 2 guys that took the majority of the snaps at Arky, Ben Hicks and Nick Starkel. Hicks spent 3 years at SMU and put up some decent numbers.  He absolutely sucked ass for the Hawgs, throwing for well under 50%.  Starkel, a transfer with experience from Texas A&M, also sucked rectum in a bad way. Is it a good thing for him to take Nix under his wing?  I don't know.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

wesfau2

« Reply #105 on: December 16, 2019, 04:40:42 PM »
I'm ambiguvalent about the hire.  On one hand, you can look at the successes Morris has had as an OC.  Obviously, that's what we should be focused on and should give us hope.  I don't read much of anything into his time as a head corch because I've said a hundred times that there are little to no similarities between handling one aspect of a program and taking over something the size of an SEC program and all the moving parts that go with it.  It's kind of like Malzahn in that I think most people have long believed he's best suited as an OC and overmatched with the main headset on.

Now having said that, there's nothing that would make me believe that Morris will have any real input into running the offensive show.  Gus can say it all he wants and even put it in writing, but at the end of the day, he's still calling the shots.  Also, I've seen many say they hope Morris can help with the QB position.  The thing that gives me pause is that there were 2 guys that took the majority of the snaps at Arky, Ben Hicks and Nick Starkel. Hicks spent 3 years at SMU and put up some decent numbers.  He absolutely sucked ass for the Hawgs, throwing for well under 50%.  Starkel, a transfer with experience from Texas A&M, also sucked rectum in a bad way. Is it a good thing for him to take Nix under his wing?  I don't know. 

No.  It is a decidedly NOT good thing.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #106 on: December 16, 2019, 09:42:04 PM »
Speed read thru this article to see what the addition of Longo as O.C. meant for the true freshman at North Carolina.

Yes I realize it is the ACC but this kid is no more advanced at reading defenses or far more talented than our freshman Bo Nix.

So if Morris is in the box which is where we expect him to be, a trained set of eyes should allow Nix to stretch the field vertically, add to his yards per attempt and open up the field in various ways that Malzahn simply can't see. 

At the very least I think we see Gus get in a better rythym with more deep strikes and far fewer calls that are DOA.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #107 on: December 16, 2019, 10:42:59 PM »

At the very least I think we see Gus get in a better rythym with more deep strikes and far fewer calls that are DOA.

Why, exactly?  What, specifically, makes you think that Gus will be more successful from a play-calling perspective with the addition of Morris?

I'm not trying to be the NOTMORRIS guy, but I'm taking up that space for sure.  I want someone to be able to convince me that he's a net positive to this staff.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #108 on: December 17, 2019, 12:46:01 AM »
Why, exactly?  What, specifically, makes you think that Gus will be more successful from a play-calling perspective with the addition of Morris?

I'm not trying to be the NOTMORRIS guy, but I'm taking up that space for sure.  I want someone to be able to convince me that he's a net positive to this staff.
I can't convince you nor do I know of any way to offer definitive proof if he makes a positive impact on our offense.
I said "wait and see mode" which in my mind depends more on Malzahn.
How close we were to a couple more wins this season is anybody's guess.

Against our main rivals; if Morris is responsible for keeping our defense off the field for one less set of downs, if he helps Nix get three more completions to keep a drive alive, if he calls but one strike for a victory against any of those teams, to me he is worth it.
That's where I am with Malzahn.
Don't care about his Arkansas failure.
I just want Morris to be the catalyst that makes Malzahn better.
That's it. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #109 on: December 17, 2019, 08:56:15 AM »

I'm not sure any addition to the offensive staff would be a net positive with Gustav in charge.  He could hire the best OC since Joe Montana Mantegna and the offense would still look the same overall, because he can't let go of it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #110 on: December 17, 2019, 09:21:42 AM »
But then there's this...
Hopefully a comfortable Gus makes a more relaxed, better play caller Gus too.

https://www.al.com/auburnfootball/2019/12/after-six-days-chad-morris-has-already-gained-the-class-of-2020s-trust.html
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #111 on: December 17, 2019, 10:07:46 AM »

I contest that you are letting the Hog fans get inside your head and like Snags said HC and OC are vastly different things.  Let's not forget Bielema was a god at Wisconsin and then set foot on Arkansas soil.

So specifically to answer your question...

Morris mentored and improved Tajh Boyd through his tenure at Clemson.  Under Morris Clemson had the Offenses ranked (2011- 23rd:440avg / 2012- 6th:512avg / 2013- 8th:508avg / 2014- 54th:408avg)  2014 was a drop of for Morris because Boyd had left and they brought in a new QB a true Freshman by the name of Deshaun Watson who was lighting things up before he got hurt and Senior Cole Stoudt took over they still went 10-3 that year.

BTW guess who was lead recruiter for Deshaun

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #112 on: December 17, 2019, 10:30:30 AM »
I contest that you are letting the Hog fans get inside your head and like Snags said HC and OC are vastly different things.  Let's not forget Bielema was a god at Wisconsin and then set foot on Arkansas soil.

So specifically to answer your question...

Morris mentored and improved Tajh Boyd through his tenure at Clemson.  Under Morris Clemson had the Offenses ranked (2011- 23rd:440avg / 2012- 6th:512avg / 2013- 8th:508avg / 2014- 54th:408avg)  2014 was a drop of for Morris because Boyd had left and they brought in a new QB a true Freshman by the name of Deshaun Watson who was lighting things up before he got hurt and Senior Cole Stoudt took over they still went 10-3 that year.

BTW guess who was lead recruiter for Deshaun

Looking at clemsons record before him. And after he arrived. It’s obvious at the time the dude was a top notch Oc. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

djsimp

« Reply #113 on: December 17, 2019, 11:40:50 AM »
Now that Morris is in as OC and has been hitting the recruiting trail, I'm thinking he could (I hope) make everyone feel better by getting some OL to sign. Don't matter who calls the offense if we don't have guys to block for them.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #114 on: December 17, 2019, 12:56:51 PM »
Looking at clemsons record before him. And after he arrived. It’s obvious at the time the dude was a top notch Oc.
Pshaw. He didn't uproot his family for Arky. He's a bum!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.