Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Wishful landing spots for Malzahn.

jmar

Re: Wishful landing spots for Malzahn.
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2019, 07:48:03 PM »
My vibe feels harshed.
In the real world we could just pluck Stacy Searels from old Mac Brown at UNC and bring in Patrick Nix as OC, QB coach.
And if you are going to keep Burns send the sonofabitch to some NFL camps to learn a real passing tree and how to manage a receiving corp.
He has our best receiver decoying.
Modern day offenses don't waste a route.
Just thankful Hastings popped up out of nowhere when Nix was in desperation. There were many more of those instances. They aren't supposed to be within 10 yards of one another between the 20's. Arrrrgh!

« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 10:24:40 PM by jmar »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2019, 09:15:14 PM »
Morris's OC rep is an illusion.  He left before Deshaun Watson lifted Clemson to new heights.  His time at smu was underwhelming and his tenure at Arky was a disorganized, grabastic mess.

No thank you.
Everywhere he’s left has gotten better after he was gone. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2019, 11:09:47 PM »
Nothing but respect for Pat Nix.  

NO to him being OC. NO no no no no. 

I’ve seen baseball, softball, basketball teams all with Deddy coaches. Do not want.  Never. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2019, 11:32:09 PM »
Everywhere he’s left has gotten better after he was gone.
Yup.

I’ve seen baseball, softball, basketball teams all with Deddy coaches. Do not want.  Never.
Doubly so here.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

jmar

« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2019, 12:42:43 AM »
I don't know that Pat Nix is the answer either. I just want someone that Bo trusts to help him navigate the lack of options that Malzahn's inept offense creates. 
And Kodi Burns is at the center of it.
Flash should be our Waddle.
Nix should be averaging 3 TD passes per game. We are wasting receiver talent that an average OC would die for.

Malzahn isn't going to allow even his closest pal near this offense.
Too paranoid!

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2019, 06:57:14 AM »
I don't know that Pat Nix is the answer either. I just want someone that Bo trusts to help him navigate the lack of options that Malzahn's inept offense creates.

He has that at Christmas and it will not cost us as much.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

jmar

« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2019, 07:46:45 AM »
He has that at Christmas and it will not cost us as much.
Yeah why muck up a good thing?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2019, 10:17:58 AM »

I’ve seen baseball, softball, basketball teams all with Deddy coaches. Do not want.  Never.
Agreed on the daddy coach part. The reasons for asking are more directed towards just coaching and also being an "Auburn man". I will say this, Pat Nix would not be just a puppet or a "yes man". Perhaps knowing this would motivate Gus to change some of his methods in a positive way. Perhaps also knowing Pat Nix is beloved by most Auburn folks, especially those with big money, would put Gus in a position to have to listen and actually be willing to let others help him do his job. Yes, Gus knowing all this would keep such a hire from happening but ........perhaps Gus isn't given then option. In fact, someone may make that decision for Gus, and Gus becomes the yes man in hopes to keep his job. All fun thoughts.

I for one, so its said, think Pat Nix is a great offensive mind and will be seen as a highly successful coaching in the college ranks before too long. Also, he would be a strong force to recruit talent from the state of Alabama down to Auburn.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2019, 10:39:03 AM »
Again, gang, that's just stuff Jay G. Tate is talking about. None of it is confirmed. Just stuff he's heard here and there. He also was convinced two weeks ago that no matter what happened in the Iron Bowl that Gus was done at Auburn. 

Grain of salt. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

djsimp

« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2019, 10:47:59 AM »
Again, gang, that's just stuff Jay G. Tate is talking about. None of it is confirmed. Just stuff he's heard here and there. He also was convinced two weeks ago that no matter what happened in the Iron Bowl that Gus was done at Auburn.

Grain of salt.
I'm certain that these kinds of things have been discussed among Auburn folks for sometime now especially on this site. So yeah, grain of salt or wishful thinking and all that. I do believe that there will be some sort of move in the coaching staff. It may not be Gus moving on but something will be changed in efforts to move Auburn forward rather than stay in this weird funk of a cycle. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2019, 10:54:57 AM »
Agreed on the daddy coach part. The reasons for asking are more directed towards just coaching and also being an "Auburn man". I will say this, Pat Nix would not be just a puppet or a "yes man". Perhaps knowing this would motivate Gus to change some of his methods in a positive way. Perhaps also knowing Pat Nix is beloved by most Auburn folks, especially those with big money, would put Gus in a position to have to listen and actually be willing to let others help him do his job. Yes, Gus knowing all this would keep such a hire from happening but ........perhaps Gus isn't given then option. In fact, someone may make that decision for Gus, and Gus becomes the yes man in hopes to keep his job. All fun thoughts.

I for one, so its said, think Pat Nix is a great offensive mind and will be seen as a highly successful coaching in the college ranks before too long. Also, he would be a strong force to recruit talent from the state of Alabama down to Auburn.
Any other time I might be inclined to hear out the "Nix for OC" argument.  

But no.  Daddy coaching just never works.  It creates dissension and mistrust.  

Beyond that? If you're being 100% straight with yourself, he doesn't have a stellar track record.  In his first year as Miami's OC, the Canes broke 30 points only three times.  His team was held to under 20 six times.  Five of those were 14 points or less.   Miami went 5-7. 

His second season was slightly improved. Still, five games were 20 points or less.  Oddly enough, Miami won three of those, the real difference between 5-7 and the 7-5 finish they had. 

Nix was fired after that season and replaced with some dude named Mark Whipple.  Miami broke 20 in every game but two the season following Nix's firing. They topped 30 points in seven games and finished with nine wins.  

He hasn't been truly anything close to successful anywhere but as a high school coach.  Show me why I'd want him to leap from high school to the OC booth?  I don't see it. 

Do I like Nix and respect what he did for and means to Auburn?  You're damn right I do.  Do I want him anywhere near the offensive coordinator's chair?  No. Hell no. 

You ask me what I want?  I want Gus to raid the NFL and find a receiver's coach or a QB coach. I don't care if they're only there for a year or two in order to build a resume to be a HC.  We have (had) a decent group of receivers but we rarely put them or their QBs in a position to be successful.  Kodi Burns, bless him, has no clue whatsoever how to attack the defenses AU faces with routes that are designed to find the gaps in coverage.  I love Kodi Burns, but as a quarterback he could not read defenses.  What the hell makes you think he can do it as a "coordinator?"  

We also need a QB coach.  I've been watching Joe Burrow.  Watching Tom Brady for years.  Almost every quarterback in an Auburn uniform over the last decade or so has more physical ability than either of those two.  So why is Brady the greatest of all time and Burrow the presumptive Heisman winner?  It's pretty simple.  They are coached well.  When Joe/Tom drops back to pass they know where they're going with the ball 90% of the time.  The receivers run precise routes. They come to the line read the immediate weakness (because there's almost always one) and attack it.  Those guys also know that in the event the play breaks down, there's a safety valve.  With even moderate coaching at either WR or QB, I honestly believe we add two wins a year or more to our past totals.  

That's Gus' biggest failing.  Our entire offensive staff -- and maybe nobody wants to work under his meddling, blundering ass so he can't fix it -- is bush league.  

Kodi Burns, bless him, simply isn't ready.  He would be a graduate assistant on any other staff in the country.  Kerry Dillerbam or whatever his name is, just isn't ready for this level.  He needs time at smaller programs to earn his stripes.  Grimes just sucks.  It's not that we don't have talent on the OL, it's that they've gotten softer and softer over the years.  They're damned marshmallows most of the time now.  And Carnell.  I wish he could suit up and play again, but like Dillysham and Kodi, he just doesn't have the resume to be anything other than a GA at this point in his career.  

I also think we could benefit from bringing in some former head coaches as "consultants" like Bama does.  They've got 28 former head coaches wandering around over there skirting the rules about what they are and aren't allowed to do.  

If Gus truly wants to take it to the next level, he's going to have to rein in his ego, forget that he wrote a damned book 20 years ago and be open to finding an offensive coaching staff that isn't beholden to him in some way.  He's surrounded himself with kiss asses and that destroys his ability to be objective.  He can't see the forest or the trees sometimes.  When you've got guys bowing and scraping in front of you, unable to tell the difference between a painted turd and a lump of gold?  Well, sometimes you end up like that stupid naked emperor strutting around with your balls hanging out. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2019, 11:12:59 AM »
If Gus truly wants to take it to the next level, he's going to have to rein in his ego, forget that he wrote a damned book 20 years ago and be open to finding an offensive coaching staff that isn't beholden to him in some way.  He's surrounded himself with kiss asses and that destroys his ability to be objective.  He can't see the forest or the trees sometimes.  When you've got guys bowing and scraping in front of you, unable to tell the difference between a painted turd and a lump of gold?  Well, sometimes you end up like that stupid naked emperor strutting around with your balls hanging out.

This, especially the bold, is the whole reason for my question about Nix. Its going to come to a point where Gus is forced out or forced to hire some actual assistants that can coach and not be the "yes man". His ego gets his way and anyone who knows anything about football can see it plain as day. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2019, 11:34:47 AM »
This, especially the bold, is the whole reason for my question about Nix. Its going to come to a point where Gus is forced out or forced to hire some actual assistants that can coach and not be the "yes man". His ego gets his way and anyone who knows anything about football can see it plain as day.
And I still say, Daddy or no, Pat Nix isn't that guy. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2019, 11:42:15 AM »
I think Gus fits us.  He is as up and down as Auburn Football.

Honestly, I have had this discussion in my head so many times.  Guy has done good and bad for Auburn.  Recruiting Good, Defense Good, Offense Bad, Development Bad...on and on.

At the end of the day reflecting back, all told I think he did pretty good this year and yes I wanted him gone after LSU then even more so against FUGA.  To go 9-3 against the schedule we had with a true freshman QB, I mean the losses were maddening (UF being the most maddening, FUGA just sucking the most ass).  We have all said on here that we don't want to be bama we just want to be competitive every game and we were competitive in every game (albeit FUGA was a shit show, and we didn't deserve to be in it, but we still had a shot at winning.)

I know we could get a coach better than Malzahn, but there is such a gamble.  Guys I thought would be sure-fire hires "Charlie Strong" have been flops.  At least we know what we have with Malzahn.  I said after losing the LSU game that I just didn't know anymore, and I still think that, as maddening as he is it could be so...so much worse. 

I guess for now win or lose in the bowl, I'm happy. Next year will bring what it brings, I'm getting too old for this shit.

I really do think that we are all our own worst enemies.  If our leadership and fans all just got behind him like bama does with satan, maybe things would get better.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 11:46:16 AM by Godfather »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2019, 11:45:15 AM »
and the side argument no to Nix at OC...no no a thousand times no.  For all the other reasons stated on here, plus what QB recruit wants to come in when your current OC is QB1's daddy.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

djsimp

« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2019, 11:50:04 AM »
Next year will bring what it brings, I'm getting too old for this shit.
Ain't that the truth. You old. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2019, 01:28:44 PM »

Honestly, I have had this discussion in my head so many times.  Guy has done good and bad for Auburn.  Recruiting Good, Defense Good, Offense Bad, Development Bad...on and on.

At the end of the day reflecting back, all told I think he did pretty good this year and yes I wanted him gone after LSU then even more so against FUGA.  To go 9-3 against the schedule we had with a true freshman QB, I mean the losses were maddening (UF being the most maddening, FUGA just sucking the most ass).  We have all said on here that we don't want to be bama we just want to be competitive every game and we were competitive in every game (albeit FUGA was a shit show, and we didn't deserve to be in it, but we still had a shot at winning.)

I know we could get a coach better than Malzahn, but there is such a gamble.  Guys I thought would be sure-fire hires "Charlie Strong" have been flops.  At least we know what we have with Malzahn.  I said after losing the LSU game that I just didn't know anymore, and I still think that, as maddening as he is it could be so...so much worse. 

I guess for now win or lose in the bowl, I'm happy. Next year will bring what it brings, I'm getting too old for this shit.

I really do think that we are all our own worst enemies.  If our leadership and fans all just got behind him like bama does with satan, maybe things would get better.
On a board full of fucking idiots, this makes the most sense of all.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2019, 02:13:54 PM »

Serious question.  How?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2019, 02:34:07 PM »
Serious question.  How?
We are gonna need you at media days in an outfit....Do you have anything that makes you look like Shug?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2019, 02:48:37 PM »
Serious question.  How?
A raise and a contract extension would be a nice start. It’s not rocket science. You dumbass.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com