Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

What Kaos Saw: AU 70 USA 69

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
What Kaos Saw: AU 70 USA 69
« on: November 13, 2019, 12:13:20 AM »
Things to get out of the way first:

1) The South Alabama team AU played tonight wasn't the same USA team AU annihilated by 50 last season. They added several portal transfers to beef up the bench. Their starting five, all juniors and seniors.  This team will win the Sunbelt Conference and will likely make the NCAA Tournament.  Despite what anybody thought going in, this was no cupcake.
2) This was South Alabama's Final Four.  Biggest crowd in the 21-year history of the arena. Probably 60% Auburn fans, but the South crowd was into the game (even though they didn't seem to know a lot about basketball in general). Really good atmosphere.
3) Students are dumb.  The "Bruce is fat" chant was really lame.
4) Our fans behaved well with a few exceptions.  They celebrated the 85th birthday of some guy who's given millions and millions of dollars to the university.  And one of our lone jackasses bellowed "War Eagle" at the end of the halftime ceremony.  Not necessary.  A few doofuses were doing loud Weegle cheers outside the arena. Also not necessary.  The South fans leaving that stadium deserved nothing but respect for the way their team played.

Now.  The game. 

1) Austin "How Do You Do Mrs." Wi-LEE either had a very off night or he just doesn't have it.  He was consistently getting beaten under the basket on defense, he wasn't effective with or without the ball on offense. The guy was a fouling machine. I hate it because I want him to succeed, but he just didn't have it.
2) Anfernee McLemore was more effective than Wiley when he was in the game.  But neither had the impact that Nigerian freshman Babatunde Ankingbola brought.  With the game in flux and both Wiley and McLemore saddled with four fouls, Baba came off the bench, immediately delivered a soul-crushing block, blocked another shot on a subsequent possession and held his own in the paint.  He did have a chance to make a momentum altering dunk but hesitated and mishandled the ball. Still, the potential for domination was clearly there.  Baba Ankin has a chance to be good.  It's my personal opinion that had he not been in for the few minutes he was on the court?  AU would probably have lost.
3) The team as a whole didn't move well without the ball. There were a lot of people standing around on offense.  Expected more.  Just not a lot of movement or help.
4) Once AU went up by double digits in the fourth, it looked like they got complacent. South had something to play for and something to prove.  With 8 minutes left, AU was up 14 and had South pinned. Only scored seven more points the rest of the way. 
5) There were two players who seemed to be playing at a different level than anybody else.  Samir Doughty hustled from start to finish.  His hustle on the last series of the game was the difference between winning and losing.  Isaac Okoro also worked hard most of the night.
6) Freshman Okoro is the real deal. He just needs time to grow and learn.  After South clawed all the way back and drained a three with 20 seconds left to take a one-point lead it was Okoro that made a falling-down jumper off a Doughty feed with 1.3 left to clinch the game. 
7) McCormick didn't have a great night, but he did hit a trio of treys, each of which came at critical times. He also missed all three free throws he attempted which is baffling.  Okoro was the only other Tiger to miss a FT all night.
8) One thing I noticed that concerned me was a big fat zero offensive rebounds in the first half.  That was cause for pause.

Does Auburn look like a Final Four team?  Does it look like a team that will win the SEC? Not tonight.  With McLemore, Doughty, Okoro and Ankingbola and McCormick?  It's got a chance to be a pretty decent team, though.  South Alabama -- unless I'm completely wrong -- was a sterner test than most folks realize.

I saw an AU team that, at times, checked out of the game.  I saw a team that got a little rattled when South went on that second-half run.  I saw a team that never really found a rhythm.  But I saw a team that took the ball with 20 seconds left, trailing by one and had no sense of panic.  In those last twenty seconds, AU missed at least three shots, out-hustled South for rebounds and somehow managed to pull out a win even as the USA crowd was poised to rush the court.

Pearl sweated completely through his suit and the Tigers celebrated at the end. I'm glad AU won, but had I been there to witness South Alabama's students storming the court I wouldn't have been completely devastated. 

Something else I saw.  Checking highlights and the Alabama women's basketball team has what I believe to be the fattest hog ever to wear a collegiate uniform on the basketball court.  Good lord that sow is huge.  I'll put that in its own thread. 
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 12:16:58 AM by Kaos »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
Re: What Kaos Saw: AU 70 USA 69
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2019, 12:39:43 AM »
Rack him!

The profile of the team you laid out (checks out, panics , then is cool in the crunch) sounds a lot like last year's team.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2019, 08:28:40 AM »
Things to get out of the way first:

1) The South Alabama team AU played tonight wasn't the same USA team AU annihilated by 50 last season. They added several portal transfers to beef up the bench. Their starting five, all juniors and seniors.  This team will win the Sunbelt Conference and will likely make the NCAA Tournament.  Despite what anybody thought going in, this was no cupcake.
2) This was South Alabama's Final Four.  Biggest crowd in the 21-year history of the arena. Probably 60% Auburn fans, but the South crowd was into the game (even though they didn't seem to know a lot about basketball in general). Really good atmosphere.
3) Students are dumb.  The "Bruce is fat" chant was really lame.
4) Our fans behaved well with a few exceptions.  They celebrated the 85th birthday of some guy who's given millions and millions of dollars to the university.  And one of our lone jackasses bellowed "War Eagle" at the end of the halftime ceremony.  Not necessary.  A few doofuses were doing loud Weegle cheers outside the arena. Also not necessary.  The South fans leaving that stadium deserved nothing but respect for the way their team played.

Now.  The game. 

1) Austin "How Do You Do Mrs." Wi-LEE either had a very off night or he just doesn't have it.  He was consistently getting beaten under the basket on defense, he wasn't effective with or without the ball on offense. The guy was a fouling machine. I hate it because I want him to succeed, but he just didn't have it.
2) Anfernee McLemore was more effective than Wiley when he was in the game.  But neither had the impact that Nigerian freshman Babatunde Ankingbola brought.  With the game in flux and both Wiley and McLemore saddled with four fouls, Baba came off the bench, immediately delivered a soul-crushing block, blocked another shot on a subsequent possession and held his own in the paint.  He did have a chance to make a momentum altering dunk but hesitated and mishandled the ball. Still, the potential for domination was clearly there.  Baba Ankin has a chance to be good.  It's my personal opinion that had he not been in for the few minutes he was on the court?  AU would probably have lost.
3) The team as a whole didn't move well without the ball. There were a lot of people standing around on offense.  Expected more.  Just not a lot of movement or help.
4) Once AU went up by double digits in the fourth, it looked like they got complacent. South had something to play for and something to prove.  With 8 minutes left, AU was up 14 and had South pinned. Only scored seven more points the rest of the way. 
5) There were two players who seemed to be playing at a different level than anybody else.  Samir Doughty hustled from start to finish.  His hustle on the last series of the game was the difference between winning and losing.  Isaac Okoro also worked hard most of the night.
6) Freshman Okoro is the real deal. He just needs time to grow and learn.  After South clawed all the way back and drained a three with 20 seconds left to take a one-point lead it was Okoro that made a falling-down jumper off a Doughty feed with 1.3 left to clinch the game. 
7) McCormick didn't have a great night, but he did hit a trio of treys, each of which came at critical times. He also missed all three free throws he attempted which is baffling.  Okoro was the only other Tiger to miss a FT all night.
8) One thing I noticed that concerned me was a big fat zero offensive rebounds in the first half.  That was cause for pause.

Does Auburn look like a Final Four team?  Does it look like a team that will win the SEC? Not tonight.  With McLemore, Doughty, Okoro and Ankingbola and McCormick?  It's got a chance to be a pretty decent team, though.  South Alabama -- unless I'm completely wrong -- was a sterner test than most folks realize.

I saw an AU team that, at times, checked out of the game.  I saw a team that got a little rattled when South went on that second-half run.  I saw a team that never really found a rhythm.  But I saw a team that took the ball with 20 seconds left, trailing by one and had no sense of panic.  In those last twenty seconds, AU missed at least three shots, out-hustled South for rebounds and somehow managed to pull out a win even as the USA crowd was poised to rush the court.

Pearl sweated completely through his suit and the Tigers celebrated at the end. I'm glad AU won, but had I been there to witness South Alabama's students storming the court I wouldn't have been completely devastated. 

Something else I saw.  Checking highlights and the Alabama women's basketball team has what I believe to be the fattest hog ever to wear a collegiate uniform on the basketball court.  Good lord that sow is huge.  I'll put that in its own thread.
I want to "like" your post but I do not have that option.  I shall read it again, later, in the confines of my own home while touching myself in naughty places.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2019, 01:05:15 PM »
Fun Fact: 
South Alabama's head coach is part of the Cliff Ellis coaching tree.  Cliff gave him his start at Coastal Carolina.  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2019, 10:39:33 PM »
Most of the negative things I saw against South Alabama were not in evidence tonight as Auburn absolutely demolished a Colgate team that had hung in with both Clemson and Syracuse.  

Austin Wiley brought more energy and cut back on the lazy fouls. 

Everybody on the floor moved without the ball and the entire team did a good job distributing and finding the open man.  

The team didn't check out until early in the second half after building a 40-point lead.   When your opposition goes on an 11-2 run and you're still up by 30+?  That's domination.  

Okoro still looks like he could turn out to be one of the best to play at AU.  Doughty rained threes and hustled from start to finish.  

I don't know how good Colgate is, but it's a whole lot of fun to watch an Auburn basketball team having fun and running on cruise control while it absolutely throttles the opposition. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2019, 12:42:12 AM »
The young guys are incredibly talented. We may have a better team than last season. 
Okoro will break records if he stays long enough.
Hell, Purifoy finally looks like a player again.

If Wiley knew how to dominate under the basket, he'd be dangerous.  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

jmar

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2019, 06:44:15 AM »
The young guys are incredibly talented. We may have a better team than last season.
Okoro will break records if he stays long enough.
Hell, Purifoy finally looks like a player again.

If Wiley knew how to dominate under the basket, he'd be dangerous. 
Went back and looked at Wiley's statline last season v. Duke...maybe the fourth or fifth game. And you know their lineup.
In 19 minutes Wiley had 17 and 9.
How much of that was from lack of attention remains to be seen but one might conclude from those numbers that he wasn't overly intimidated by Zion Williamson. Just saying.

Purifoy didn't do much in that game but you're right he seems to almost be more involved with this lineup around him. 

And to think we almost lost them both to the ncaa evildoers. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2019, 10:46:25 AM »
Most of the negative things I saw against South Alabama were not in evidence tonight as Auburn absolutely demolished a Colgate team that had hung in with both Clemson and Syracuse. 

Austin Wiley brought more energy and cut back on the lazy fouls.

Everybody on the floor moved without the ball and the entire team did a good job distributing and finding the open man. 

The team didn't check out until early in the second half after building a 40-point lead.  When your opposition goes on an 11-2 run and you're still up by 30+?  That's domination. 

Okoro still looks like he could turn out to be one of the best to play at AU.  Doughty rained threes and hustled from start to finish. 

I don't know how good Colgate is, but it's a whole lot of fun to watch an Auburn basketball team having fun and running on cruise control while it absolutely throttles the opposition.

The announcers said Colgate was picked as pre season conference champions and expected to make the tourney.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2019, 11:31:41 AM »
The announcers said Colgate was picked as pre season conference champions and expected to make the tourney.
I knew we couldn't brush off Colgate.  I'm sure Coach Pearl bristled when he thought anyone was taking them lightly. 

I know Pearl emptied the bench after going up 40 so the D wasn't what it was earlier.  But, you could see why Colgate is probably a damn sight better than what they played to that point.  Once they got in a rhythm, it was clear those guys can flat out shoot the rock. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2019, 12:41:47 PM »
I knew we couldn't brush off Colgate.  I'm sure Coach Pearl bristled when he thought anyone was taking them lightly. 

I know Pearl emptied the bench after going up 40 so the D wasn't what it was earlier.  But, you could see why Colgate is probably a damn sight better than what they played to that point.  Once they got in a rhythm, it was clear those guys can flat out shoot the rock.
The one thing I did notice early is that we were getting beat off the dribble a lot. Colgate missed a lot of those shots, but better teams won't. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2019, 01:46:04 PM »
What is all this doing in this thread...this is not official.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2019, 02:18:54 PM »
What is all this doing in this thread...this is not official.
This one has aspirations though
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2019, 02:34:28 PM »
The one thing I did notice early is that we were getting beat off the dribble a lot. Colgate missed a lot of those shots, but better teams won't.
Image result for Over your head gif
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."