Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

2019-2020 Official Auburn Hoops Thread (with no official aspirations)

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
Re: 2019-2020 Official Auburn Hoops Thread (with no official aspirations)
« Reply #120 on: January 04, 2020, 06:45:05 PM »
Against MSU, can’t buy a freaking three!
Who needs one? 

Another one down. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #121 on: January 06, 2020, 11:34:58 AM »
Against MSU, can’t buy a freaking three!

a 3?  Shit we couldn't buy a basket. Shot 14% in the first half.  14 god damn percent!!

9 minute stretch without a point and we were only down by 6.  Amazing defense and pressure!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #122 on: January 06, 2020, 11:50:19 AM »
If this guy can continue the way he played Saturday, we'll be tough to beat for anyone. 

Image result for J'Von McCormick images
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #123 on: January 06, 2020, 11:56:05 AM »
I think that solid guard play from Harper is the biggest difference from last season to this one.  Funny how we're 13-0 and you still get the sense that we're not as good as last year.  I know that's just perception and it's based more off the incredible run they had starting with the SEC tourney.  I have to remind myself that until that run, they still weren't a lock to make the dance.  I do believe this team has more athletes overall, especially with this Freshman class.  I also believe they'll get better as McCormick gets more consistent. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #124 on: January 06, 2020, 12:24:52 PM »
I think that solid guard play from Harper is the biggest difference from last season to this one.  Funny how we're 13-0 and you still get the sense that we're not as good as last year.  I know that's just perception and it's based more off the incredible run they had starting with the SEC tourney.  I have to remind myself that until that run, they still weren't a lock to make the dance.  I do believe this team has more athletes overall, especially with this Freshman class.  I also believe they'll get better as McCormick gets more consistent.
I don't get that sense at all.  

I actually think we're a better TEAM than we were.  Can we do better than we did last year tournament wise?  I think that's not a reasonable expectation, but I'm really encouraged.  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #125 on: January 06, 2020, 12:26:52 PM »

I actually think we're a better TEAM than we were.  Can we do better than we did last year tournament wise?  I think that's not a reasonable expectation, but I'm really encouraged. 
They don't "look" as cohesive yet, but they are performing at a higher level earlier in the season.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #126 on: January 06, 2020, 12:46:57 PM »

It's just my perception based on the last memories I have of last year's squad, which was them running rough shod over the blue bloods of college basketball.  When we struggle for a half against Bumfuck U, I naturally think, well clearly we're not as good.  I know that's not realistic but they spoiled me with that run. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #127 on: January 06, 2020, 02:08:21 PM »
  Amazing defense and pressure!
I think this s the difference between last season and this one.
And the bench seems to have some REALLY talented young players on it.

As we all stared early on, the key here will be Wiley and Purifoy. As odd as it seems, because neither one was really key last season.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #128 on: January 06, 2020, 02:09:48 PM »
They don't "look" as cohesive yet, but they are performing at a higher level earlier in the season.
I think we are a more athletic, more well-rounded team than we were last year.  I think some of our downfalls this year are the seniors remembering how we played last year when we lived and died by the 3, that we don't need to do that this year.  The tourney, however, is a whole nother beast, it's all about getting hot at the right time. 

So while I do think this team is better than last years, we may also not make it as far as last year, we shall see.  I'm just enjoying the ride.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #129 on: January 06, 2020, 02:10:21 PM »
I think this s the difference between last season and this one.
And the bench seems to have some REALLY talented young players on it.

As we all stared early on, the key here will be Wiley and Purifoy. As odd as it seems, because neither one was really key last season.
Samir too. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #130 on: January 06, 2020, 02:14:51 PM »
McCormick isn't going to need to go for 28 a game the rest of the SEC season, but he WILL be the key to how far this team can go IMNSHO.  He is the jet fuel for this G6.  The super premium unleaded for this Corvette ZR1.  The roux for this gumbo.  The Buzz for the X.  Kinda important even.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #132 on: January 06, 2020, 02:27:28 PM »
Samir too.
This is true, but Samir was a clear backup/new guy last season.
Wiley and Purify were the stars from a couple of seasons before that were expected to come back and heavily contribute. Wiley came back serviceable But Purifloy never did get into any kind of groove. With Samir and Javon, we saw flashes of what they needed to be this season as starters. And both have grown into the role very well.
I wasn't sure Purifoy would ever make it back.
I still don't see McLemore from before his injury. Maybe the team makeup is just different. But he is still a very talented senior.

Just think if Chupacabra Okeefee would have returned!

The Okoro kid is super impressive. Throw in Cambridge, Flanagan, and Johnson, that is a good looking future.

I'm just waiting for the Real Will Macoy to get hot!

Are we redshirting Babatunde?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 02:37:08 PM by CCTAU »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #133 on: January 06, 2020, 02:37:59 PM »
McCormick isn't going to need to go for 28 a game the rest of the SEC season, but he WILL be the key to how far this team can go IMNSHO.  He is the jet fuel for this G6.  The super premium unleaded for this Corvette ZR1.  The roux for this gumbo.  The Buzz for the X.  Kinda important even.
You had me, you had me again, then once again...then you lost me.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #134 on: January 06, 2020, 03:16:34 PM »
Defense and free throws can offset poor shooting and turnovers.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #135 on: January 06, 2020, 03:37:03 PM »
It's just my perception based on the last memories I have of last year's squad, which was them running rough shod over the blue bloods of college basketball.  When we struggle for a half against Bumfuck U, I naturally think, well clearly we're not as good.  I know that's not realistic but they spoiled me with that run.
Last year at this time we were 11-3.  Got blown out by Ole Miss in the SEC opener on the road.  Probably played a few better teams (Duke, Xavier, NC State) than we did this pre-league season, but the overall competition was similar or maybe better.  There were fewer St. Peter's School for Underage Nuns and Wayward Waifs on the slate. 

The knock on this team is that it only has one win over a Top 50 Kenny Pomegranate (who is this clown?) team.  What I see every single time I watch them play?  A team that has the capacity to turn it on when it wants/needs/has to. 

Watching the State game Saturday.  State was up eight or nine points.  We missed like eleventy nine shots in a row.  Went into the kitchen to make a drink and by the time I got back into the room? Auburn was up three.  I feel like they hit the court every single time knowing they can win.  Confidence that somebody is going to be that guy for that day.  And every one of them thinks 'why not me.'  Every game. Every time. That's exhilarating.

Is this team going to lose a game?  Sure.  Could happen when UGA comes to town.  Might happen in Tuscaloosa (shoot me, shoot me now).  Probably in Gainesville. Then we'll see what this group is made of in how it responds.  But I like a whole lot of what I see so far. 

Rankings don't mean anything, but...

In the early part of the season a year ago, AU had gotten as high as eighth in the polls, but after the SEC-opening loss, dropped to 14 on this same week of the year.  There were two other SEC teams (UT and KY) ranked above us.

AU is currently fifth.  Twenty years since an Auburn team was ranked that high in the regular season. The next highest SEC team is 14th.  There is no other SEC team in the Top 25. 

Know who was 13-0 and ranked fourth at this stage last season?  Correct: Eventual national champion Virginia.  

So...

« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 03:39:56 PM by Kaos »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #136 on: January 06, 2020, 03:49:29 PM »
Last year at this time we were 11-3.  Got blown out by Ole Miss in the SEC opener on the road.  Probably played a few better teams (Duke, Xavier, NC State) than we did this pre-league season, but the overall competition was similar or maybe better.  There were fewer St. Peter's School for Underage Nuns and Wayward Waifs on the slate. 

The knock on this team is that it only has one win over a Top 50 Kenny Pomegranate (who is this clown?) team.  What I see every single time I watch them play?  A team that has the capacity to turn it on when it wants/needs/has to. 

Watching the State game Saturday.  State was up eight or nine points.  We missed like eleventy nine shots in a row.  Went into the kitchen to make a drink and by the time I got back into the room? Auburn was up three.  I feel like they hit the court every single time knowing they can win.  Confidence that somebody is going to be that guy for that day.  And every one of them thinks 'why not me.'  Every game. Every time. That's exhilarating.

Is this team going to lose a game?  Sure.  Could happen when UGA comes to town.  Might happen in Tuscaloosa (shoot me, shoot me now).  Probably in Gainesville. Then we'll see what this group is made of in how it responds.  But I like a whole lot of what I see so far. 

Rankings don't mean anything, but...

In the early part of the season a year ago, AU had gotten as high as eighth in the polls, but after the SEC-opening loss, dropped to 14 on this same week of the year.  There were two other SEC teams (UT and KY) ranked above us.

AU is currently fifth.  Twenty years since an Auburn team was ranked that high in the regular season. The next highest SEC team is 14th.  There is no other SEC team in the Top 25. 

Know who was 13-0 and ranked fourth at this stage last season?  Correct: Eventual national champion Virginia. 

So...

You mean double dribble Virginia
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #137 on: January 06, 2020, 04:01:36 PM »
This is true, but Samir was a clear backup/new guy last season.
Wiley and Purify were the stars from a couple of seasons before that were expected to come back and heavily contribute. Wiley came back serviceable But Purifloy never did get into any kind of groove. With Samir and Javon, we saw flashes of what they needed to be this season as starters. And both have grown into the role very well.
I wasn't sure Purifoy would ever make it back.
I still don't see McLemore from before his injury. Maybe the team makeup is just different. But he is still a very talented senior.

Just think if Chupacabra Okeefee would have returned!

The Okoro kid is super impressive. Throw in Cambridge, Flanagan, and Johnson, that is a good looking future.

I'm just waiting for the Real Will Macoy to get hot!

Are we redshirting Babatunde?
I’ve heard that “stretch” had some visa issues in the offseason and got stuck in Nigeria. Thus got behind in conditioning and practice. This actually came from a source that would know first hand. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #138 on: January 06, 2020, 04:06:57 PM »
I’ve heard that “stretch” had some visa issues in the offseason and got stuck in Nigeria. Thus got behind in conditioning and practice. This actually came from a source that would know first hand.
You've been on the Drill Phone with DKW?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #139 on: January 06, 2020, 04:29:30 PM »
You've been on the Drill Phone with DKW?
They meet at every EOTTC Barbecue don't they?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.