Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Small (temporary?) victories

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
Small (temporary?) victories
« on: August 29, 2019, 06:37:42 PM »
For those of you who do not live in South Alabama, do not cross the Mobile Bay with any frequency or simply don't care, there was a recent move by the state and ALDOT to build a massive, glittering monument to excess across the bay.  The efforts of an organized group of citizens forced the state's hand and derailed the project.

The new bridge was to have bicycle paths (for the three cyclists a year that want to ride across on an Interstate), a walking path (for the one person who could survive the walk without suffering heat stroke), observation decks, elevators and assorted other puffery.  The bridge was going to be the second highest in the country, only slightly behind the Golden Gate Bridge. To finance this multi-billion dollar spectacle, the state announced a plan to charge drivers a $6 toll (+40% convenience fee) each way.  Or regular travelers could purchase a $90 per month (+40% convenience fee) transponder per car.  Larger vehicles such as semis, RVs, boats, etc would incur higher rates.  The tolls would be in place for the next 55 years.

On top of this, the state (ALDOT and Kay Ivy primarily) were set to hand over control of the bridge (and the toll rates) to foreign (mostly Arabian) investors. 

Citizens balked.  ALDOT director John Cooper and Guvhah Ivy at first declared that the bridge was a done deal and we should just eat the shit sandwich we were being served with grace. 

More citizens joined the balking. 

Both ALDOT and Ivy started crawfishing.  They claimed federal regulations required the bridge to meet the specifications they provided (not true).  They then claimed that climate change forced them to build this bridge so high and to tear down the current bridge (also not true).  They gave several other debunked rationales for the obscene cost. 

Ivy then bleated that she was tired of the noise, noise, noise (grinch?) and didn't care about the concerns.  She was building that bridge and if we didn't like tolls we needed to find some other way to pay for it.  This pissed a lot of people off. 

The angry citizens discovered that the state had rejected some federal funding that could have paid for portions of the bridge.  They found that the state had failed to apply for other funding.  They found that ALDOT had to return tens of millions of dollars allocated to the project because it wasn't used. 

The citizens wondered what was up and began digging.  There are indications the Mobile Port was on the verge of being turned over to an Arabian conglomerate (from the UAE) and would be under its control.  There were rumors that both tunnels would be destroyed and the bay dredged in order to get larger ships into the ports to satisfy the UAE investors.  In digging through the trail of documentation, this appears to be more than rumor. 

Ivy set an October meeting to discuss possible alternatives to tolling, but defiantly declared the bridge was going forward, constituent wishes be damned. 

The citizen's group (now being led by the wacky Jim Ziegler) learned that the project could be delayed by either (or both) Mobile County and Baldwin County removing the bridge from their respective Transportation Improvement Plans.  Mobile had the first shot and chickened out under pressure from Cooper and from Ivy.  Cooper begged Mobile to keep the bridge on the TIP and he would provide a plan at some later date that might alleviate the tolls ... or something. 

Baldwin County?  Went to war with the Guvnah.  Even after she sent them a letter full of thinly veiled threats about removing future ALDOT projects from the county, the Baldwin County delegation rejected the toll plan and removed the bridge from its Transportation Improvement Plan. 

Ivy? The old battle axe who said all along she was open to finding other ways to pay for it, but it was going to be built no matter what we wanted and we could just suck on tolls until she was long, long dead?  Within five minutes of the Baldwin County vote, she pronounced the project dead and canceled the scheduled October meeting to allegedly research other options to finance the bridge.  So apparently she's a lying ass liar or she and ALDOT have some nefarious backdoor plan to screw us over royally.

Even if they do come back with something wretched, watching this unfold gave me the same sense of satisfaction I got way back when during the Never To Yield campaign against the people lying about Cam.  Watching people who'd simply had enough rise up and enact change was a beautiful thing.  Forcing the government to back down from a disastrous plan was the kind of thing this country was built on. 

Is there a need for a bridge?  I personally don't think so.  But even if there is, there's no need for sky towers, zip lines, walking trails, motorcycle ramps, skateboard parks and all that other crap.  There's no rationale for turning part of I10 over to foreign control or for selling the port to that group either. 

I'm disgusted with Kay Ivey.  She's a complete buffoon.  This debacle could have her go down in history ass the worst governor ever.  Worse than Loverboy Bentley. Worse than Dealing Don (who got a bad rap).  Worse than Guy Hunt.  And she deserves it.  Between this and that crap gas tax she forced on us (lied there, too) she's done more negative than positive by far.  I'm ashamed she calls herself an Auburn fan.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
Re: Small (temporary?) victories
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2019, 07:49:36 PM »
For those of you who do not live in South Alabama, do not cross the Mobile Bay with any frequency or simply don't care, there was a recent move by the state and ALDOT to build a massive, glittering monument to excess across the bay.  The efforts of an organized group of citizens forced the state's hand and derailed the project.

The new bridge was to have bicycle paths (for the three cyclists a year that want to ride across on an Interstate), a walking path (for the one person who could survive the walk without suffering heat stroke), observation decks, elevators and assorted other puffery.  The bridge was going to be the second highest in the country, only slightly behind the Golden Gate Bridge. To finance this multi-billion dollar spectacle, the state announced a plan to charge drivers a $6 toll (+40% convenience fee) each way.  Or regular travelers could purchase a $90 per month (+40% convenience fee) transponder per car.  Larger vehicles such as semis, RVs, boats, etc would incur higher rates.  The tolls would be in place for the next 55 years.

On top of this, the state (ALDOT and Kay Ivy primarily) were set to hand over control of the bridge (and the toll rates) to foreign (mostly Arabian) investors. 

Citizens balked.  ALDOT director John Cooper and Guvhah Ivy at first declared that the bridge was a done deal and we should just eat the shit sandwich we were being served with grace. 

More citizens joined the balking. 

Both ALDOT and Ivy started crawfishing.  They claimed federal regulations required the bridge to meet the specifications they provided (not true).  They then claimed that climate change forced them to build this bridge so high and to tear down the current bridge (also not true).  They gave several other debunked rationales for the obscene cost. 

Ivy then bleated that she was tired of the noise, noise, noise (grinch?) and didn't care about the concerns.  She was building that bridge and if we didn't like tolls we needed to find some other way to pay for it.  This pissed a lot of people off. 

The angry citizens discovered that the state had rejected some federal funding that could have paid for portions of the bridge.  They found that the state had failed to apply for other funding.  They found that ALDOT had to return tens of millions of dollars allocated to the project because it wasn't used. 

The citizens wondered what was up and began digging.  There are indications the Mobile Port was on the verge of being turned over to an Arabian conglomerate (from the UAE) and would be under its control.  There were rumors that both tunnels would be destroyed and the bay dredged in order to get larger ships into the ports to satisfy the UAE investors.  In digging through the trail of documentation, this appears to be more than rumor. 

Ivy set an October meeting to discuss possible alternatives to tolling, but defiantly declared the bridge was going forward, constituent wishes be damned. 

The citizen's group (now being led by the wacky Jim Ziegler) learned that the project could be delayed by either (or both) Mobile County and Baldwin County removing the bridge from their respective Transportation Improvement Plans.  Mobile had the first shot and chickened out under pressure from Cooper and from Ivy.  Cooper begged Mobile to keep the bridge on the TIP and he would provide a plan at some later date that might alleviate the tolls ... or something. 

Baldwin County?  Went to war with the Guvnah.  Even after she sent them a letter full of thinly veiled threats about removing future ALDOT projects from the county, the Baldwin County delegation rejected the toll plan and removed the bridge from its Transportation Improvement Plan. 

Ivy? The old battle axe who said all along she was open to finding other ways to pay for it, but it was going to be built no matter what we wanted and we could just suck on tolls until she was long, long dead?  Within five minutes of the Baldwin County vote, she pronounced the project dead and canceled the scheduled October meeting to allegedly research other options to finance the bridge.  So apparently she's a lying ass liar or she and ALDOT have some nefarious backdoor plan to screw us over royally.

Even if they do come back with something wretched, watching this unfold gave me the same sense of satisfaction I got way back when during the Never To Yield campaign against the people lying about Cam.  Watching people who'd simply had enough rise up and enact change was a beautiful thing.  Forcing the government to back down from a disastrous plan was the kind of thing this country was built on. 

Is there a need for a bridge?  I personally don't think so.  But even if there is, there's no need for sky towers, zip lines, walking trails, motorcycle ramps, skateboard parks and all that other crap.  There's no rationale for turning part of I10 over to foreign control or for selling the port to that group either. 

I'm disgusted with Kay Ivey.  She's a complete buffoon.  This debacle could have her go down in history ass the worst governor ever.  Worse than Loverboy Bentley. Worse than Dealing Don (who got a bad rap).  Worse than Guy Hunt.  And she deserves it.  Between this and that crap gas tax she forced on us (lied there, too) she's done more negative than positive by far.  I'm ashamed she calls herself an Auburn fan.
All of this plus Dean Young was instrumental in the fight. I hope his legislation passes. I have my No Toll sticker on my rear bumper. Bourgeoise? Maybe. But, it felt good to be a part of the fight.

https://www.al.com/politics/2019/08/dean-young-pitches-constitutional-amendment-prohibiting-interstate-tolls.html

Oh, how I would love to see Jo Boner in the unemployment line. Screw him, Cooper and the battle-ax. And screw the UN Agenda 2030.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 07:54:26 PM by bottomfeeder »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2019, 08:47:14 PM »
All of this plus Dean Young was instrumental in the fight. I hope his legislation passes. I have my No Toll sticker on my rear bumper. Bourgeoise? Maybe. But, it felt good to be a part of the fight.

https://www.al.com/politics/2019/08/dean-young-pitches-constitutional-amendment-prohibiting-interstate-tolls.html

Oh, how I would love to see Jo Boner in the unemployment line. Screw him, Cooper and the battle-ax. And screw the UN Agenda 2030.
I got the no toll sticker too.  

Did you make any of the meetings?  I was at the Delta one, but couldn't get in the room.  I was honestly concerned about the direction of the effort because that was so poorly prepared and organized. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2019, 10:58:08 PM »
I got the no toll sticker too. 

Did you make any of the meetings?  I was at the Delta one, but couldn't get in the room.  I was honestly concerned about the direction of the effort because that was so poorly prepared and organized.
I did the same with the Delta meeting, just went home after talking to a few people. Had to be in McIntosh at 6:00 the next morning anyway. We made enough noise to get their attention and I believe that mattered the most.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2019, 04:50:32 PM »
I did the same with the Delta meeting, just went home after talking to a few people. Had to be in McIntosh at 6:00 the next morning anyway. We made enough noise to get their attention and I believe that mattered the most.
Here's the thing I've been thinking about.  

It wasn't that the opposition group had such a huge number it couldn't be ignored.  Yeah, 55,000 isn't bad for a protest, but it's less that 1/10 the population of this area.  

What brought this to the ground was the constant digging into the background by several members of that group and the fear on the part of people in power that whatever nefarious crap they've got going on in relation to this project would be brought to light.  

This was never about a bridge.  The bridge isn't even necessary.  It's simply the shiny object they hoped we'd fixate on to distract us from what's really going on down there -- turning that whole area over to UAE control in exchange for billions.  

The sad thing is that if they'd kept the toll at about $3 or so?  Us sheep would have been led straight to happy slaughter.  We wouldn't have balked.  But when they came up with that $6 one way crap people recoiled.  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2019, 06:29:26 PM »
I agree with your statement concerning nefarious actions of those in power. The whole system need to be cleansed.

I think Jim Zig and Dean Young are going to continue to dig. Jim has started something called the "Lazarus Project" in an attempt to prevent this kind of thing from happening again. I don't know much about it, but I will find out.

There's another boondoggle in the B'ham area that is underfunded which caused construction to come to a halt.

The feds have lent the states/p3 the right to toll new construction projects. I posted links to the CFR changes on the No Toll Facebook page. Trump was for it, then he was against it. Go figure. I fully expect Mobile to cut down another old cedar tree and mount it atop Ladd Stadium around the same time Trump announces this year.

The fight has only begun.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 06:32:05 PM by bottomfeeder »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2019, 12:19:25 AM »
I agree with your statement concerning nefarious actions of those in power. The whole system need to be cleansed.

I think Jim Zig and Dean Young are going to continue to dig. Jim has started something called the "Lazarus Project" in an attempt to prevent this kind of thing from happening again. I don't know much about it, but I will find out.

There's another boondoggle in the B'ham area that is underfunded which caused construction to come to a halt.

The feds have lent the states/p3 the right to toll new construction projects. I posted links to the CFR changes on the No Toll Facebook page. Trump was for it, then he was against it. Go figure. I fully expect Mobile to cut down another old cedar tree and mount it atop Ladd Stadium around the same time Trump announces this year.

The fight has only begun.
You're right that the fight has only begun.  

The info that came to light today regarding the feds, federal register and the nebulous deadline for filing litigation to prevent this asinine bridge should the need arise?  That's pretty unsettling.  

Also unsettling is some of what was in the supposed guarantees made to the UAE partners including a 55-year non-compete clause that would essentially prevent anyone from providing alternate non-tolled routes AND there was a condition inserted where no improvements could be made to the Causeway for 55 years.  The plan was to force everyone to eventually take the tolled road even if they avoided it at first by slowly removing any other options.  

You can also bet your ass that the tunnels would be closed.  Stupid.  Those tunnels, regardless of their functionality, are an iconic part of Mobile.  

This was a complete scam.  I hope we've killed the thing and it's not just stunned and about to wake up pissed off and ready for vengeance. 

I no longer have any trust in or respect for Kay Ivey.  She's a Granny Clampett disgrace.  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTailgatingRules

• Home of the Tailgate
  • By the Pink Dumpster since 2004
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2019, 11:51:38 AM »
Am I the only one trying to picture Kaos and Bottomfeeder at the same city council meeting?   I would pay to see that. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2019, 07:48:34 PM »
Am I the only one trying to picture Kaos and Bottomfeeder at the same city council meeting?  I would pay to see that.
LIKE LIKE LIKE 
LIKE Button still not working!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2019, 07:32:54 AM »
This is what happens when a houseplant is elected Governor. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg