I was told there would be no math.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
Re: Oh Gus...
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2019, 11:25:59 AM »
Is it though? I was actually thinking more like 200/1 (is that higher or lower? when it comes to odds) I was thinking that those are lower odds no? ...so therefore 50/1 would be high?  Right?
200/1 is higher odds...with a lower probability of winning.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2019, 11:47:36 AM »
200/1 is higher odds...with a lower probability of winning.
Ok then

am I the only one that thinks 50/1 sounds low?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2019, 11:49:41 AM »
Ok then

You misspelled...oh wait.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

wesfau2

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2019, 12:02:28 PM »
Ok then

Things get convoluted in a probability discussion...especially in a football discussion with so many non-empirical factors (ie - the Committee)...but no, I don't think that sounds low.

We were 65-1 in 2010, with plenty of uncertainty around the QB position and a statistically much worse defense.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2019, 12:14:58 PM »
Things get convoluted in a probability discussion...especially in a football discussion with so many non-empirical factors (ie - the Committee)...but no, I don't think that sounds low.

We were 65-1 in 2010, with plenty of uncertainty around the QB position and a statistically much worse defense.
I remember thinking before the season that we should be a little better than 2009 because this Newton fella' can probably run better than Chris Todd could.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

wesfau2

« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2019, 12:18:21 PM »
I remember thinking before the season that we should be a little better than 2009 because this Newton fella' can probably run better than Chris Todd could.
So, with your logic, this Gatewood fella should make us a little better than 2018, no?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2019, 12:23:00 PM »
So, with your logic, this Gatewood fella should make us a little better than 2018, no?
I don't have nearly the faith in this guy as I did Newton.

Image result for Kid and play images
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2019, 12:42:55 PM »
I don't have nearly the faith in this guy as I did Newton.

Image result for Kid and play images
He throws a hella house party, yo.

Seriously, what gave you more faith in Cammy Cam?  His illustrious career at UF?  JUCO stats get you moist?

I'm not suggesting that JG is the second coming, but he (and Nix) have potential to be great.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2019, 03:02:17 PM »
He throws a hella house party, yo.

Seriously, what gave you more faith in Cammy Cam?  His illustrious career at UF?  JUCO stats get you moist?

I'm not suggesting that JG is the second coming, but he (and Nix) have potential to be great.
I recall coming into the 2010 season hoping that Cam could throw it on Chris Todd's level.  I think everyone knew he'd be a serious upgrade in the run department compared to the sloth footed Todd, and my thoughts were that if he could spin it anywhere near the way CT could, we had a chance to be pretty good.  Checking back on the 2009 stats, Todd threw for 2,600 yards, 22 TD's and 6 Int's.  Very comparable to Jason Campbell in 04'.  If Cam could come near that and add his athleticism to the run game, we had a little sumpn'.  I never even remotely envisioned what he turned out to be.

I can agree with potential for Gatewood in the area of athleticism.  I haven't seen him do anything that makes me moist about anything else.  Don't get me wrong, if he wins the job, I'll be pulling as hard for him as anybody.  But he couldn't beat out Malik Willis as the back up for a reason.

The only sample size for me on Gatewood and Nix is the Spring game. *** Warning***....Totally uneducated, armchair QB analysis coming.  I certainly don't glean very much from Spring games as far as how a player will or won't do.  In this case though, what I saw was that Gatewood threw the long ball the same way he threw a 10 yard cross....on a rope.  I saw receivers bail him out several times.  I thought Nix had a lot more touch.  He knew when to let it rip and when to lay it in there.  Nix was also pretty impressive with his burst when he took off.  They both had their moments but Nix looked a little more polished or complete to me.   

I have no clue who will get the call.  Maybe both along with Boobs in the Gun and a few H-Back twirly birds thrown in for good measure.  At the end of the day, we have Gus developing these guys, so we'll see how it turns out.      
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2019, 03:36:20 PM »
As long as we still use the twirly bird all will be well
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2019, 04:17:51 PM »
The only sample size for me on Gatewood and Nix is the Spring game. *** Warning***....Totally uneducated, armchair QB analysis coming.  I certainly don't glean very much from Spring games as far as how a player will or won't do.  In this case though, what I saw was that Gatewood threw the long ball the same way he threw a 10 yard cross....on a rope.  I saw receivers bail him out several times.  I thought Nix had a lot more touch.  He knew when to let it rip and when to lay it in there.  Nix was also pretty impressive with his burst when he took off.  They both had their moments but Nix looked a little more polished or complete to me.   

I have no clue who will get the call.  Maybe both along with Boobs in the Gun and a few H-Back twirly birds thrown in for good measure.  At the end of the day, we have Gus developing these guys, so we'll see how it turns out.     
My gut/guess based on Gus,  Gatewood gets the call, makes it through the Oregon game we lose. By the Gator game we will all be screaming for Nix who won't see the field until the Ole Miss game.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

bgreene

« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2019, 04:26:18 PM »
My gut/guess based on Gus,  Gatewood gets the call, makes it through the Oregon game we lose. By the Gator game we will all be screaming for Nix who won't see the field until the Ole Miss game.
At some point in the season, Nix will take over if he isn't starting already.  Just from the video I've seen of practice so far, Gatewwod appears to be taking all the 1st snaps.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Men are made stronger on the realization that the helping hand they need is at the end of their own arm."

-Sidney Phillips

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2019, 04:27:12 PM »
My gut/guess based on Gus,  Gatewood gets the call, makes it through the Oregon game we lose. By the Gator game we will all be screaming for Nix who won't see the field until the Ole Miss game.
But this is the new Gus.  Expect a three-headed QB (Gatewood, Nix and John Samuel Shanker) against the Ducks.  Twirly bird FTW!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2019, 04:37:05 PM »
But this is the new Gus.  Expect a three-headed QB (Gatewood, Nix and John Samuel Shanker) against the Ducks.  Twirly bird FTW!
The way you people dismiss Wil Appleton as if he's not even in the mix, shows me you know nothing about football.  I can't even have rational football discussion with any of you.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2019, 04:58:08 PM »
At some point in the season, Nix will take over if he isn't starting already.  Just from the video I've seen of practice so far, Gatewwod appears to be taking all the 1st snaps.
Agree. Gatewood can't possibly be anywhere the type of precision thrower that Nix was groomed to be from knee high.

That said,  I prefer the more physical Gatewood start until I see what type of protection we can provide
Nix,  who is NOT a "runner." (Cue the goofy dual threat convo) 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2019, 05:35:10 PM »
Cam exceeded all expectations and became a very good passer even though I regarded him as a run first QB.
He was given the option to improvise but I also think he flat-out overruled what was called from the sidelines.

Todd's lack of mobility limited him to following instructions. But he was crafty, had a quick release, avoided violent contact and drive killing sacks.

Kind of night and day which is what these two kids seem to be.

I don't doubt Nix can run some but the line on him from high school is that he doesn't take sacks. How that translates to college is anyone's guess.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2019, 05:53:15 PM »
Agree. Gatewood can't possibly be anywhere the type of precision thrower that Nix was groomed to be from knee high.

That said,  I prefer the more physical Gatewood start until I see what type of protection we can provide
Nix,  who is NOT a "runner." (Cue the goofy dual threat convo)
The key question for me is exactly what type of offense is Malzahn going to run? It seems like it evolves every year into something different, probably based on the strengths and weaknesses of his QB.  2103 and 2104 were years that he had the perfect talent under center and at RB for the read option.  To his credit, Gus saw exactly what he had and rode that to some amazing offensive numbers.  Obviously, we haven't had that type of QB since then in Johnson, White, Stidham etc.  If he runs anything similar to what he did the last 2 years, then Nix is my pick.  He obviously has the arm to make all the throws, but after 2,000 rushing yards in HS and showing some serious quickness in the Spring game, I think he gives that extra dimension Stidham didn't have.  JS would take off every now and then and actually made some crucial plays (See Bama 17').  But, he wasn't a threat by any means.  I believe defenses would have to respect Nix's ability to take off. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2019, 07:03:36 PM »
The key question for me is exactly what type of offense is Malzahn going to run? It seems like it evolves every year into something different, probably based on the strengths and weaknesses of his QB.  2103 and 2104 were years that he had the perfect talent under center and at RB for the read option.  To his credit, Gus saw exactly what he had and rode that to some amazing offensive numbers.  Obviously, we haven't had that type of QB since then in Johnson, White, Stidham etc.  If he runs anything similar to what he did the last 2 years, then Nix is my pick.  He obviously has the arm to make all the throws, but after 2,000 rushing yards in HS and showing some serious quickness in the Spring game, I think he gives that extra dimension Stidham didn't have.  JS would take off every now and then and actually made some crucial plays (See Bama 17').  But, he wasn't a threat by any means.  I believe defenses would have to respect Nix's ability to take off.
I just worry for Nix thinking back to Trotter and what can happen before you even get to show what you can do.

Think Aaron Murray...as a freshman that kid was shifty and super quick but by his 3rd year he was wearing leg braces and had to gut out runs which made him susceptible to even more injury.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2019, 08:59:54 AM »
The key question for me is exactly what type of offense is Malzahn going to run? It seems like it evolves every year into something different, probably based on the strengths and weaknesses of his QB.  2103 and 2104 were years that he had the perfect talent under center and at RB for the read option.  To his credit, Gus saw exactly what he had and rode that to some amazing offensive numbers.  Obviously, we haven't had that type of QB since then in Johnson, White, Stidham etc.  If he runs anything similar to what he did the last 2 years, then Nix is my pick.  He obviously has the arm to make all the throws, but after 2,000 rushing yards in HS and showing some serious quickness in the Spring game, I think he gives that extra dimension Stidham didn't have.  JS would take off every now and then and actually made some crucial plays (See Bama 17').  But, he wasn't a threat by any means.  I believe defenses would have to respect Nix's ability to take off.
My god we have extended Gus's contract out that far.  Lord help us the 2056 - 2088 years should have given us all we needed to know about him.  Fuckin Auburn BoT
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum