Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

'I seek justice for this hate crime' in Mississippi drive thru

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree

An employee working the drive-thru window at a Mississippi restaurant was fired on Monday and is no longer allowed on the business’s property after printing a derogatory name on an African American customer’s receipt.
Alexia Washington said she and a friend visited Who Dat’s on Friday and placed a meal order, but what they were served disgusted them. “Something told me to look at my receipt,” Washington said, according to WMC Action News. Printed on the receipt were the words “Black b*tches in silver car.”
Washington said she immediately reported the inappropriate receipt to Who Dat’s manager, who made the employee apologize. But she was still disturbed by the restaurant worker’s hateful message, so she decided to post an image of it on Facebook.
“My car isn’t silver, for one,” Washington wrote in the now-deleted post. “For two, I wasn’t rude. I didn’t have any type of hostility. He didn’t have any hostility with me.”
Washington went on to explain her decision to share the message on social media, saying she "wasn’t going to say anything and [was going to] give them the opportunity to do right but nothing has been done,” according to the Clarion Ledger.
She claims she had requested that the employee who printed the slur on the receipt be fired, as she felt “racially ridiculed and demeaned as a African American Female.” But when her messages to the restaurant’s higher-ups seemed to be ignored, she decided to go public.

"I seek justice for this hate crime and I will no longer remain silent," she wrote. "I’ve lived in Oxford for 5 years and I’m still having to deal with this type of ignorance. I’m not a rude or hateful person. I was not rude when I was at this establishment and was greeted with this kind of service. I will not stand for it."
Washington’s decision paid off, as Who Dat’s posted a reply to the customer’s post, assuring her that the employee had been fired, according to the Clarion Ledger. But the restaurant’s owner, Wylie Coleman, then took justice one step further by meeting with Washington face to face.
In a lengthy note posted to the restaurant’s Facebook, Coleman wrote that he sat down with Washington for an hour and a half on Tuesday “in shock and remorse” to discuss “a broad range of issues and goals in our lives as we work through the summer.” He said he and Washington “have so much common ground.”
Coleman called the racist receipt “no joke” and “a vivid insult describing oppression which stabs four-five immediate generations.” He said he couldn’t explain the employee’s action and that it “did not represent us as a business or [personally].”
He also declared that the decision to terminate and ban the employee was a joint one made with Washington, as it would be “the only way to move forward.” He added, “From the bottom of my heart I would like to apologize to the young ladies that were attacked by this injustice. We have a lot of work to do as humans and representative of the community.”
Coleman called Washington “nothing but sweet and communicative during the entire events that transpired,” and added, “I am not only apologizing to her but to everyone and anyone that could subject to a label in life.”
He said he is now hoping that he and his employees will “grow from” the unfortunate experience. Washington told WMC5 that she too would like to move on.
Who Dat’s Facebook followers commended Coleman for being “an awesome person” with “true genuine character” and “great integrity.”
One commenter summed up the feelings of the community by writing, “This sounds not only like a sincere apology for what actually happened but a commitment to make sure it never happens again. Good job. This is all that was required and should be accepted and respected by everyone in your community. Thank you.”

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/mississippi-drivethru-employee-fired-after-printing-racial-slur-on-customers-receipt-193309977.html
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
Re: 'I seek justice for this hate crime' in Mississippi drive thru
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2019, 11:14:40 PM »
Somebody has to stand up for a car that was called the wrong color!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
Re: 'I seek justice for this hate crime' in Mississippi drive thru
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2019, 10:03:45 AM »
I am getting so tired of people stereotyping silver vehicles.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.