Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

2019 Installment of MLB Bitchin' & Moanin'

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Re: 2019 Installment of MLB Bitchin' & Moanin'
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2019, 05:49:40 PM »
What did you do with Wainright?  Same thing as we did with Markakis?  We got him back on a 1-year deal at $4m.  I see that AW is signed at $2m. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2019, 06:15:27 PM »
What did you do with Wainright?  Same thing as we did with Markakis?  We got him back on a 1-year deal at $4m.  I see that AW is signed at $2m.
I think he wants to retire a Cardinal.  The city loves him, but he's clearly past his prime.  I think he will retire this year.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2019, 02:13:29 AM »
Doing the quick Chizad math, the Braves sold just over 2.5 million tickets last year at an average of $32.00 a pop.  That comes to right at $80mil.  Take the concessions and ATL gear sold at the stadium and you more than cover their payroll with attendance alone.   
That stadium don’t pay for itself.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2019, 10:29:35 AM »
That stadium don’t pay for itself.
The Cobb County tax payers agree.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2019, 10:32:18 AM »
The Cobb County tax payers agree.
The braves ponied up $1.1b for that complex.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2019, 03:16:45 PM »
Okay, so what does Harper do?  All the "experts" are saying it's between a long term (10 years) deal with the Phillies at probably $35m/per, or a much shorter contract with the Dodgers, most likely closer to $40m/per.

The Phillies are the logical choice, but Harper is from Las Vegas (I believe) and he's all about show time. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2019, 05:25:21 PM »
Okay, so what does Harper do?  All the "experts" are saying it's between a long term (10 years) deal with the Phillies at probably $35m/per, or a much shorter contract with the Dodgers, most likely closer to $40m/per.

The Phillies are the logical choice, but Harper is from Las Vegas (I believe) and he's all about show time.
Live on Snags money or live on WE!!! money?  That's quite a predicament.  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2019, 05:30:01 PM »
Live on Snags money or live on WE!!! money?  That's quite a predicament. 
Don't joke about that stuff.  Times have been tight.  I had to let the Butler for the East Wing go the other day.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2019, 03:12:34 PM »
Harper to the Phillies for 13 Years/330M.

It's going to be glorious watching him hit .240 while dodging batteries.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2019, 03:19:03 PM »
Harper to the Phillies for 13 Years/330M.

It's going to be glorious watching him hit .240 while dodging batteries.
13 years????  Why in the unholy fuck would you sign anybody for that long? 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2019, 03:27:15 PM »
13 years????  Why in the unholy fudge would you sign anybody for that long?
Don't think that contract gets Harper to 40, which is nuts.

His numbers are strange.  Entered the league and hit .270 for three straight years, then jumped to .330, then down to .240, then back up to .319, then down to .240.

Gotta make you happy as a Braves fan knowing that when he's in his mid 30s, and batting .220, that Phils are paying him 25M for that.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2019, 03:41:55 PM »
Don't think that contract gets Harper to 40, which is nuts.

His numbers are strange.  Entered the league and hit .270 for three straight years, then jumped to .330, then down to .240, then back up to .319, then down to .240.

Gotta make you happy as a Braves fan knowing that when he's in his mid 30s, and batting .220, that Phils are paying him 25M for that.
The guy may hit his stride and start putting up HOF numbers every year.  Who knows?  But tell me when one of these monster, long-term contracts has ever worked out. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2019, 04:02:21 PM »
The guy may hit his stride and start putting up HOF numbers every year.  Who knows?  But tell me when one of these monster, long-term contracts has ever worked out.
After some googlez, the only 10 year contract I could find that I thought was good was when the Yanks signed Jeter to a 10 year deal in 2001.  But I think that's more based on him being the face of the team, and they did win a World Series in 2009.

But generally speaking, it's a terrible idea.

Here's what I'm not getting about the Harper deal, Philly has him for 25M/year.  Didn't the Nats offer him 10 years/300M+?  He must have hated DC.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2019, 04:21:25 PM »
After some googlez, the only 10 year contract I could find that I thought was good was when the Yanks signed Jeter to a 10 year deal in 2001.  But I think that's more based on him being the face of the team, and they did win a World Series in 2009.

But generally speaking, it's a terrible idea.

Here's what I'm not getting about the Harper deal, Philly has him for 25M/year.  Didn't the Nats offer him 10 years/300M+?  He must have hated DC.
Oh he gon love him some Philly.  As Skip Carey said years ago.  People in Philadelphia will show up to Veteran's Stadium for the annual Easter Egg hunt just to boo the kids that didn't find any eggs.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2019, 10:19:47 AM »
Oh he gon love him some Philly.  As Skip Carey said years ago.  People in Philadelphia will show up to Veteran's Stadium for the annual Easter Egg hunt just to boo the kids that didn't find any eggs.
Well, the way they "hide" eggs these days, you have to wonder if the ones who can't reach down and pick one up are a bit daft.

As a kid we would have our annual Easter egg hunt at my uncle's house. YOU DID NOT SEE AN EGG! Hell, we found eggs still hidden from the year before.

They would put a little money in those bigger eggs and hide those. I was pissed off I could not find one and kicked an ant bed. I kicked the top off of the prized egg. He had lifted up the old ant bed and put the egg under it. If eggs were the only food they got, kids today would starve at my old hunts.

So I guess the Philly fans got that one right...

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2019, 10:33:23 AM »
Well, the way they "hide" eggs these days, you have to wonder if the ones who can't reach down and pick one up are a bit daft.

As a kid we would have our annual Easter egg hunt at my uncle's house. YOU DID NOT SEE AN EGG! Hell, we found eggs still hidden from the year before.

They would put a little money in those bigger eggs and hide those. I was pissed off I could not find one and kicked an ant bed. I kicked the top off of the prized egg. He had lifted up the old ant bed and put the egg under it. If eggs were the only food they got, kids today would starve at my old hunts.

So I guess the Philly fans got that one right...
Image result for Old man images

I tell ya', kids these days are soft.  Back in the day, we used to have to reach down in ant beds to find our Easter Eggs.  Oh sure, we'd get a dozen or so ant bites on our hands, but we were tough.  And if we cried, Pappy would strap our hides.  We earned those eggs.  Nowadays, the eggs are right out in the open.  Kids don't have to work for them like we did. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2019, 01:59:39 PM »

I tell ya', kids these days are soft.  Back in the day, we used to have to reach down in ant beds to find our Easter Eggs.  Oh sure, we'd get a dozen or so ant bites on our hands, but we were tough.  And if we cried, Pappy would strap our hides.  We earned those eggs.  Nowadays, the eggs are right out in the open.  Kids don't have to work for them like we did.
AMIRIGHT?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2019, 08:33:50 AM »
I did not know that my Red Sox had let Bama-loving goat man Craig Kimbrell go.  

That's addition by subtraction.  He was a blown save (or almost blown save) waiting to happen.  Regular season he was decent.  Post-season?  Terrified me every time I saw him come out of the pen.  

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2019, 12:26:58 PM »
The regular season is about to crank up and I can't recall a season opening with less hoopla...fanfare...bwovado….dawing doo.

Image result for Life of Brian images

Lucky us, we get to open in Philadelphia, then face the Cubs. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2019, 08:39:59 AM »
The regular season is about to crank up and I can't recall a season opening with less hoopla...fanfare...bwovado….dawing doo.

Image result for Life of Brian images

Lucky us, we get to open in Philadelphia, then face the Cubs.
So, will you believe after y'all start out 6-0?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.