Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Ozark

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
Ozark
« on: August 18, 2017, 01:36:37 PM »
The new Netflix original starring Jason Bateman is fantastic. The show goes from normal setup to bat shit crazy in the first 15 minutes. The show reminds of Breaking Bad a lot.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

jmar

Re: Ozark
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 01:40:01 PM »
The new Netflix original starring Jason Bateman is fantastic. The show goes from normal setup to bat shit crazy in the first 15 minutes. The show reminds of Breaking Bad a lot.
Thx, will check it out.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Ogre

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 01:53:32 PM »
I've already watched the whole series and it is awesome.  They haven't signed it on for Season 2 yet, but I expect that to happen in short order. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 01:55:06 PM »
We beat them my junior year but they pulled a close one out my senior year.

We could've won it if coach would've utilized my skills more. Or, at all.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2017, 02:03:45 PM »
I've already watched the whole series and it is awesome.  They haven't signed it on for Season 2 yet, but I expect that to happen in short order.

Come on over Woodstock and rent a boat and you can get on the pontoon and ride back and forth while they are filming!

Probably not till it gets colder. I rode by the other day and all is still boarded up.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

chinook

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2017, 04:56:09 PM »
Come on over Woodstock and rent a boat and you can get on the pontoon and ride back and forth while they are filming!

Probably not till it gets colder. I rode by the other day and all is still boarded up.

and?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2018, 11:02:09 AM »
3/4 of the way through season 2.

I want to choke-slam the fucking Snells.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2019, 10:31:14 AM »
It's reasonably good, but it's no Breaking Bad.  

Walter White was proactive, even as he was learning on the go.  Marty Byrde is constantly playing from behind, always reacting.  

I've watched most of the first season and I'm having trouble with all the hidden killing and whatnot.  Pretty clearly stole half its storyline from Breaking Bad, though.  

It's done well enough, but it has some major weak spots.  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2019, 10:43:30 AM »
Yet another show that starts with a fantastic premise and never lives up to it again. It never gets better than those first few episodes. Unlike Breaking Bad which got better and better. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

Token

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2019, 01:45:24 PM »
It's reasonably good, but it's no Breaking Bad. 

Walter White was proactive, even as he was learning on the go.  Marty Byrde is constantly playing from behind, always reacting. 

I've watched most of the first season and I'm having trouble with all the hidden killing and whatnot.  Pretty clearly stole half its storyline from Breaking Bad, though. 

It's done well enough, but it has some major weak spots. 
To be fair Walter and Martin are completely different characters on purpose.  I don't think it's fair to compare to BB because it isn't trying to be BB.  If anything I'd say it is a mix between BB and house of cards. But it replicates neither.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2019, 04:23:45 PM »
To be fair Walter and Martin are completely different characters on purpose.  I don't think it's fair to compare to BB because it isn't trying to be BB.  If anything I'd say it is a mix between BB and house of cards. But it replicates neither.
Well, yeah, because if they'd made Marty Byrde a high school chemistry teacher who gets cancer and decides to cook meth out of fear I think Vince Gilligan might have sued them.  

But the parallels cannot be denied.  

1) Normal suburban guy on the outside, running a criminal enterprise behind the facade.
2) Blonde wife who becomes complicit and cheats on him. Also inserts herself into the middle of the business but then wants the escape avenue.  Hated by all. 
3) Teenage kid who complicates the process
4) The Snells are essentially redneck Gus Frings. 
5) Del (I hated that guy in the Sean Penn Bad Boys movie) is a little Mike, a little more Tuco. Lot of similarities in how they attempt to handle Marty. 
6) Ruth?  She's Jesse. 
7) The stupid Langmore kids?  Skinny Pete and Badger
8) Store money in the house?  Walt put it under the floorboard and in vents.  Marty puts it behind a wall. 

There's no real duplicate for idiot Hank, but between the sheriff, the gayish fed and his chocolate lover you've got a decent composite.  

Rachel doesn't really have a duplicate on the Breaking Bad side, but she draws a little from Saul, Huell and Lydia.   

The overall concept is too similar for me not to compare the two.  I also think it's fair to say that without Breaking Bad, this show never exists.  

BTW?  I'm writing a new show.  It's going to be about a guy who owns a carpet store.  He's married, but his wife is having an affair with her golf coach.  Lesbian affair!  The carpet store guy (his name is Steven) wears polos to work every day with his little name badge, but when he sends out carpets he's running the distribution network for a major heroin trafficking organization with ties to the Canadian cartels.  The heroin is rolled up in the carpets.  So he sells the carpets, they get the packages out and then the carpet returns to the store where he then can resell it at a lower price to regular peoples.  He's storing bundles of cash at his house inside of a fake water heater in the basement and behind a faux block wall that is three feet in from the real wall.  Affair-having wife is lonely (thus the affair) and bored so she steals some of the cash and "invests" it in a nail salon.  Little does she know, but the new girls she hired are Canadian hit women on the trail of her husband because they suspect him of skimming.  Not only that, but her new best friend is an undercover CIA agent.  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2019, 04:26:55 PM »
Slow day, huh?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2019, 04:31:35 PM »
Slow day, huh?
Not really.  But I was sick for a couple of days over the holidays and decided to binge on that.  

Thought's been in my head for a while and thoughts are real easy to come out for me.  I can type like a big-boobed secretary from the 50s.  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Token

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2019, 05:32:42 PM »
Well, yeah, because if they'd made Marty Byrde a high school chemistry teacher who gets cancer and decides to cook meth out of fear I think Vince Gilligan might have sued them. 

But the parallels cannot be denied. 

1) Normal suburban guy on the outside, running a criminal enterprise behind the facade.
2) Blonde wife who becomes complicit and cheats on him. Also inserts herself into the middle of the business but then wants the escape avenue.  Hated by all.
3) Teenage kid who complicates the process
4) The Snells are essentially redneck Gus Frings.
5) Del (I hated that guy in the Sean Penn Bad Boys movie) is a little Mike, a little more Tuco. Lot of similarities in how they attempt to handle Marty.
6) Ruth?  She's Jesse.
7) The stupid Langmore kids?  Skinny Pete and Badger
8) Store money in the house?  Walt put it under the floorboard and in vents.  Marty puts it behind a wall.

There's no real duplicate for idiot Hank, but between the sheriff, the gayish fed and his chocolate lover you've got a decent composite. 

Rachel doesn't really have a duplicate on the Breaking Bad side, but she draws a little from Saul, Huell and Lydia. 

The overall concept is too similar for me not to compare the two.  I also think it's fair to say that without Breaking Bad, this show never exists. 

BTW?  I'm writing a new show.  It's going to be about a guy who owns a carpet store.  He's married, but his wife is having an affair with her golf coach.  Lesbian affair!  The carpet store guy (his name is Steven) wears polos to work every day with his little name badge, but when he sends out carpets he's running the distribution network for a major heroin trafficking organization with ties to the Canadian cartels.  The heroin is rolled up in the carpets.  So he sells the carpets, they get the packages out and then the carpet returns to the store where he then can resell it at a lower price to regular peoples.  He's storing bundles of cash at his house inside of a fake water heater in the basement and behind a faux block wall that is three feet in from the real wall.  Affair-having wife is lonely (thus the affair) and bored so she steals some of the cash and "invests" it in a nail salon.  Little does she know, but the new girls she hired are Canadian hit women on the trail of her husband because they suspect him of skimming.  Not only that, but her new best friend is an undercover CIA agent. 
Well fuck. You just ruined the Ozarks for me.  But let me know when you get that pilot.  Maybe an asshole won’t make parallels reminding me of other shows that I had forgotten all of the details to. 

Also I just realized how much I hate ending sentences with the word to and it’s a little annoying how lazy I am to figure out the correct way to get my point across. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2019, 05:44:37 PM »
Well fuck. You just ruined the Ozarks for me.  But let me know when you get that pilot.  Maybe an asshole won’t make parallels reminding me of other shows that I had forgotten all of the details to.

Also I just realized how much I hate ending sentences with the word to and it’s a little annoying how lazy I am to figure out the correct way to get my point across.
I can help you with that if you want me to.  

Sorry I ruined the Ozarks.  I don't mind that they cribbed from Breaking Bad.  If I was going to borrow, that would be a good place where I could go to.  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2019, 08:42:46 AM »

"...to which I had forgotten all the details."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2019, 10:29:10 AM »
The show went downhill after they quit filming here in Woodstock!

Screw'em!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2019, 11:10:10 AM »
I'm a little further in.  It's okay, but I'm getting tired.  The show makes me tired because every little thing comes with a condition. It's exhausting watching him take a phone call and "gotta go" to fix some leak or the other that needs plugging.  I'm tired of the "you have 24 hours, 48 hours, two days" or whatever arbitrary limit is set on this thing that has to be done or else everybody dies.  

I'm starting to like the son and I really like Ruth (even though she's unreliable) but I'm tired of Marty, Wendy, Rachel, Charlotte, Jacob, Darlene.  I can't muster any interest in Wyatt or Tree.  

I think it's trying too hard and it's losing me.  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions