Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

'Auburn needs to shut down the prayer'

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
'Auburn needs to shut down the prayer'
« on: October 24, 2018, 09:33:42 AM »

A Wisconsin-based secular group announced Tuesday that it is fighting the religious culture in Auburn University’s football program.
The Freedom From Religion Foundation (FFRF) said in a press release that it sent Auburn an open records request in 2014, asking for information related to football chaplain Chette Williams.
The church-and-state watchdog decided to continue its efforts “to stop the unconstitutionally excessive piety in Auburn University’s football program” after a video surfaced of Williams leading the team in prayer before Auburn’s Homecoming game against Southern Mississippi on Sept. 29.

The AL.com video shows the team standing, arms linked in a circle on Pat Dye Field. Williams prays out loud before two of the football players take turns praying aloud as well.
“We pray for each family represented in this circle, Father,” Williams said in the video. “We pray for those who are traveling to the game, but most of all Father, we pray that your power and presence be with this team today.”
The FFRF shared a letter to Auburn University President Steven Leath, dated Monday, in which legal fellow Christopher Line stated that multiple people complained to the organization about the prayer when the video was published.
“We’d like to remind AU that employing a chaplain and giving him unfettered access to a captive audience of football players is unconstitutional,” the letter read. “While student athletes are free to pray, either individually or as (a) group, university staff members should not be leading, participating in, or encouraging students to engage in religious exercises, or hiring ‘chaplains’ to do so.”
According to a statement from the university to the Opelika-Auburn News on Tuesday night, “The football team chaplain isn’t an Auburn employee, and participation in activities he leads are voluntary.”

The letter from the FFRF references its 2014 open records request, saying the organization exchanged emails with a then-assistant athletic director, Cassie Arner, and submitted a $500 deposit, then never received the documents it requested from the university.
The letter also again requested documents including records of the chaplain’s travel with the football team and communication between the chaplain and football staff regarding Bible studies or other religious activities for the team.
“Auburn needs to shut down the prayer and chaplaincy that it has permitted for so long in its football program,” FFRF co-president Annie Laurie Gaylor said in a press release from the foundation. “By allowing it to continue, it is giving its official seal of approval to Christian proselytizing that is not only unconstitutional but also alienating to non-Christian and nonreligious athletes. No student should be expected to pray to play.”

https://www.oanow.com/news/auburnuniversity/group-says-faith-football-don-t-mix-auburn-needs-to/article_9e3ea19c-d73c-11e8-8f1c-eb26a20977a1.html
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
Re: 'Auburn needs to shut down the prayer'
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2018, 09:39:42 AM »
:facepalm:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2018, 09:49:46 AM »
I don’t believe anyone at Auburn is making any athlete partake in this. That’s the difference. At that point it’s just individuals coming together collectively to do their thing - aka free speech. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

The Six

• My Linktree
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2018, 09:57:43 AM »
I don’t believe anyone at Auburn is making any athlete partake in this. That’s the difference. At that point it’s just individuals coming together collectively to do their thing - aka free speech.
Free speech only exists for certain, acceptable types of speech. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2018, 09:58:56 AM »
Please inform Mz Gaylor and Mz Line that I’m removing them from the prayer list. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

GH2001

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2018, 10:01:22 AM »
Free speech only exists for certain, acceptable types of speech.
They are not threatening bodily harm. Nor is it hate speech. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

The Six

• My Linktree
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2018, 10:01:31 AM »
Please inform Mz Gaylor and Mz Line that I’m removing them from the prayer list.
Zhe and Zher appreciate it. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2018, 10:02:21 AM »
We went through this several years ago. I don't think Chette is employed by the state or the university.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2018, 10:03:11 AM »
They are not threatening bodily harm. Nor is it hate speech.
Hate speech isn't illegal either.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2018, 10:33:33 AM »
In fact, it's actually encouraged if it's Hate Trump speech.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

GH2001

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2018, 10:43:29 AM »
You’re correct but it’s controversial and gives groups like these ammo. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2018, 10:51:23 AM »
According to a statement from the university to the Opelika-Auburn News on Tuesday night, “The football team chaplain isn’t an Auburn employee, and participation in activities he leads are voluntary.”

That line says it all.  Plus, I don't see how a Wisconsin based group has any standing to bring a case against a State run University in Alabama.  That question is for a lot better legal minds than I have in my cranium. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2018, 01:05:39 PM »

That line says it all.  Plus, I don't see how a Wisconsin based group has any standing to bring a case against a State run University in Alabama.  That question is for a lot better legal minds than I have in my cranium.
Dude, it's Wisconsin.  They ain't got shit else to do 8 months of the year
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2018, 01:57:58 PM »
Dude, it's Wisconsin.  They ain't got shit else to do 8 months of the year
Well, they do drink an ass load of beer up there.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2018, 02:59:06 PM »
Well, they do drink an ass load of beer up there.
And they make and wear those cheese hats.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2018, 03:06:15 PM »
And they make and wear those cheese hats.
Drinking beer and wearing cheese hats? And Sani said there's nothing to do in Wisconsin.  Pffffft...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions