Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Student Loans

jmar

Student Loans
« on: October 19, 2018, 03:32:04 PM »
https://www.kwch.com/content/news/Judge-orders-Betsy-DeVos-to-begin-student-loan-forgiveness-497943681.html

This is a prime subject that President Trump could champion which in the coming weeks could throw the contested congressional seats into further question. Might even become the deciding factor because it crosses into both sides and it represents debt in excess of over a trillion dollars. These are unforgivable government loans without bankruptcy protection and the interest grows to as much as 16%. Collectors would rather you default rather than pay. 

I have no stake in this owing nothing because my loan was paid. 

Our forefathers gave deference to this before many of the more recognized freedoms we enjoy.

Let them pay, but let them pay at a tenable rate rather than being doubled up on at an insane rate. 3% or even less is fair. Adults and their college aged children need to know that a 50 grand note won't grow to 115k.

Trump needn't follow through on this and he can just scratch the surface towards this debt but I think it could be a factor in the midterms.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
Re: Student Loans
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2018, 03:41:49 PM »
https://www.kwch.com/content/news/Judge-orders-Betsy-DeVos-to-begin-student-loan-forgiveness-497943681.html

This is a prime subject that President Trump could champion which in the coming weeks could throw the contested congressional seats into further question. Might even become the deciding factor because it crosses into both sides and it represents debt in excess of over a trillion dollars. These are unforgivable government loans without bankruptcy protection and the interest grows to as much as 16%. Collectors would rather you default rather than pay.

I have no stake in this owing nothing because my loan was paid.

Our forefathers gave deference to this before many of the more recognized freedoms we enjoy.

Let them pay, but let them pay at a tenable rate rather than being doubled up on at an insane rate. 3% or even less is fair. Adults and their college aged children need to know that a 50 grand note won't grow to 115k.

Trump needn't follow through on this and he can just scratch the surface towards this debt but I think it could be a factor in the midterms.
This is a problem, yes.  But I really wish they'd attack the source.  

It's going to cost my daughter nearly $60,000 minimum to get a basic degree from an average college.  That degree guarantees her nothing.  And she's being taught by the most liberal, air-headed foofs imaginable.  All their theories are so full of shit because so few of them have ever worked outside the academic field and know nothing about "killing what they eat."  Any "liberal arts" degree is going to be essentially worthless. She is likely to leave college in four years with no truly marketable skills whatsoever.  But you have to do it.   Because you can't get in the door without it.  Once through the door you have to start the learning process all over because NOTHING in the real world remotely resembles anything you experience in college. 

I've looked.  I could take the 60k we're going to spend on college, invest it and let her get a job in the field she is interested in.  Four years from now, she'll have a lot of money and most likely be at the same level or higher than her peers who are leaving college broke and jobless. 

Student loans are part of the problem, but they're not the real problem.  The real issue is the ridiculously high cost of getting a worthless education.  The whole system needs to be scrapped.  

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2018, 04:24:24 PM »
AS long as kids think they "deserve" the college experience, we will have loans to the tune of tens of thousands.

It can be done reasonably. There are plenty of community colleges and JUCOs that you can get the basics at. And then transfer to a major college. And many of these places are close to home so a student can live at home while attending.
My daughter lives at home while attending KSU 10-15 miles away. Is it ideal? No. But the cost to live on campus is outrageous. So we compromise. She will still get the same degree, just not the same loans.
The college experience is not a right.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

jmar

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2018, 04:37:51 PM »

It's going to cost my daughter nearly $60,000 minimum to get a basic degree from an average college.  That degree guarantees her nothing.  And she's being taught by the most liberal, air-headed foofs imaginable.  All their theories are so full of shit because so few of them have ever worked outside the academic field and know nothing about "killing what they eat."  Any "liberal arts" degree is going to be essentially worthless. She is likely to leave college in four years with no truly marketable skills whatsoever.  But you have to do it.  Because you can't get in the door without it.  Once through the door you have to start the learning process all over because NOTHING in the real world remotely resembles anything you experience in college.

I've looked.  I could take the 60k we're going to spend on college, invest it and let her get a job in the field she is interested in.  Four years from now, she'll have a lot of money and most likely be at the same level or higher than her peers who are leaving college broke and jobless.

Student loans are part of the problem, but they're not the real problem.  The real issue is the ridiculously high cost of getting a worthless education.  The whole system needs to be scrapped. 
Expert advice says take a private loan out not under the heading of education because the federal government  (4 titled entities including Fannie Mae) are just waiting for default which is truly unconstitutional at its core. It's a congressional matter and spans over decades of abuse...abuse that crooked politicians are collecting on under various headings of the banking system. We don't need free education, we need fair education as was always intended.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Token

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2018, 04:55:51 PM »

It's going to cost my daughter nearly $60,000 minimum to get a basic degree from an average college.  That degree guarantees her nothing.  And she's being taught by the most liberal, air-headed foofs imaginable.  All their theories are so full of shit because so few of them have ever worked outside the academic field and know nothing about "killing what they eat."  Any "liberal arts" degree is going to be essentially worthless. She is likely to leave college in four years with no truly marketable skills whatsoever.  But you have to do it.  Because you can't get in the door without it.  Once through the door you have to start the learning process all over because NOTHING in the real world remotely resembles anything you experience in college.

The entire system should be scrapped.  We should start identifying with students in late middle school. We tell Tommy he can’t have a good job or career unless he has a college education. So Tommy dreams of going to college so he can have a career that he wants that he likely will never attain.  But maybe Tommy could be a hell of a mechanic. Dealership mechanics make damn good money.  We need to identify what kids can do at a young age and put him/her in the position to be the most successful person the can be and stop filling their head with shit.

Before you mention trade school, it’s a joke.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 04:59:21 PM by Token »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2018, 04:58:38 PM »
The politicians are a part of this unconstitutional scheme. They are on the boards of these banking and lending institutions. Bankruptsy laws SHOULD apply. Nobody wants to go there but there is absolutely NO RELIEF. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2018, 05:08:17 PM »
The entire system should be scrapped.  We should start identifying with students in late middle school. We tell Tommy he can’t have a good job or career unless he has a college education. So Tommy dreams of going to college so he can have a career that he wants that he likely will never attain.  But maybe Tommy could be a hell of a mechanic. Dealership mechanics make damn good money.  We need to identify what kids can do at a young age and put him/her in the position to be the most successful person the can be and stop filling their head with shit.

Before you mention trade school, it’s a joke.
And I agree Token that everybody isn't meant for college but my point is that it is UNCONSTITUTIONAL to not have bankruptsy apply to educational debt, like it is to everything else under the fucking sun. 
Do you feel me Token.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2018, 05:18:28 PM »
And as such, this unconstitutional flaw just might teeter the mid term voters  over to the Republican side given that the law THROUGH THE HOUSE is responsible for said enormity of the debt which is indeed UNCONSTITUTIONAL!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2018, 08:27:02 PM »

Insurance. Medical care. Tuition. All the same root cause. Cost. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

AUTailgatingRules

• Home of the Tailgate
  • By the Pink Dumpster since 2004
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2018, 03:08:03 PM »
If you take out the loan, You should pay it back.

Simple as that
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2018, 03:15:56 PM »
If you take out the loan, You should pay it back.

Simple as that
I don’t disagree.  BUT...

A system where the “education” costs $60k and those who make much over minimum wage are forced to take out loans or forgo the college “experience” while colleges build infrastructure at an alarming rate is badly flawed.  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2018, 03:31:51 PM »
I don’t disagree.  BUT...

A system where the “education” costs $60k and those who make much over minimum wage are forced to take out loans or forgo the college “experience” while colleges build infrastructure at an alarming rate is badly flawed. 
The world needs ditch diggers too son.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

AUTailgatingRules

• Home of the Tailgate
  • By the Pink Dumpster since 2004
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2018, 03:32:37 PM »
I don’t disagree.  BUT...

They are only able to do build at an alarming rate  because government artificially made it too easy for EVERYONE to get a loan.

If you are dumb enough to take out these loans, you should be held responsible for paying them back.

The world needs ditch diggers too
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2018, 09:43:34 PM »
They are only able to do build at an alarming rate  because government artificially made it too easy for EVERYONE to get a loan.

If you are dumb enough to take out these loans, you should be held responsible for paying them back.

The world needs ditch diggers too
The world may need ditch diggers.  It doesn’t need 95 lb female ditch diggers.  

Not every parent is fortunate enough to be able to pay for it all out of pocket.  There was a time even when I was in that a student could work enough to cover it.  That’s not good realistic now. It costs too much.  

The entire proposition  â€” and this comes from someone whose entire family is in education and who has an education degree — it’s a scam.  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2018, 10:22:46 AM »
The world may need ditch diggers.  It doesn’t need 95 lb female ditch diggers. 

Sexist!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2018, 01:22:40 PM »
That’s not good realistic now. It costs too much. 
Once again, if you approach it in a practical manner, it is affordable. Maybe not affordable with all the bells and whistles at a major university. But a degree from elsewhere is just as valid.
We have taught our kids that they "DESERVE" certain things. The expectations are set a bit high for most in society today.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

jmar

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2018, 08:32:28 PM »
Once again, if you approach it in a practical manner, it is affordable. Maybe not affordable with all the bells and whistles at a major university. But a degree from elsewhere is just as valid.
We have taught our kids that they "DESERVE" certain things. The expectations are set a bit high for most in society today.
My point had everything to do with the abuses and not ability/inability defaulting or priviledge. In my day one could search out programs at an admittance office, encounter a person of color and leave there with only a token portion of benefits that were made available to "whitey"...at their discretion.
Bottom line is that this has snowballed into an abusive separation of powers and it's on swamp/ Congress to fix it and get out of the business. Has to be challenged by judges and peeled back in layers to the core. Both parties responsible.

Sigh. I was reaching for what I thought would be a noteworthy issue at midterms but some small timer was already organizing an army of refugees out of Central America in an attempt to upstage me. Unbelievable!
:wtf:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions