Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

CYCLING.

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
CYCLING.
« on: August 30, 2018, 11:49:31 AM »
So. After my last 50 and over basketball session, I thought my left knee was a goner.

Turns out, I am just old and fat.

I was up to running a 5K about 3 to 5 times a week and/or riding my bike a bit. I play basketball one day a week.

Doc says I am killing my knee too many high impact exercises. Because I am fat. Need to lose 30 lbs.

So he suggests only cycling and then I still get my one day of BB.

So, I have a cheap bike I bought at a thrift store in excellent condition for less than $20. It is a 26 in. cheap NEXT with front and back shocks. All the gears work fine. The seat crawls up my fat ass, but I make do.

I have only had like 2 bikes my whole adult life, so I have no idea what is out there that can be better, or worse.

I thought I would like the rear shock, but it seems to bounce too much when you stand up to pedal. And the whole bike just feels small. I am 6' 2" so I think I would like a longer pedal stroke.

Keep in mind, I ain't wearing no little faggie shorts or no locking shoe to pedal shit. I am just a redneck on a bike.

So my questions to any of you cycling addicts out there are:

Rear shock, yes of no?
Do they make longer stroke pedals?
Do I really need 4000 gears?

And I am thinking a 29 in. bike.

I will be on the road/sidewalk in a fairly hilly neighborhood.
Any experienced suggestions appreciated. Any gay WT responses will be dealt with severely!

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
Re: CYCLING.
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2018, 11:57:42 AM »
The resident keen cyclist left

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2018, 12:15:24 PM »
Cue GH in 3...2...1...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2018, 12:16:50 PM »
Cue GH in 3...2...1...
CCTAU can't ride a bike like GH, he will crush the tires.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2018, 12:17:42 PM »
CCTAU can't ride a bike like GH, he will crush the tires.
Been eating too much sausage.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2018, 12:29:54 PM »
So far all I got is a pic of some dude on a girls ten speed and nothing...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2018, 12:39:25 PM »
NEXT 26 inch doesn’t sound like a road bike to me. Hybrid/mountain most likely.

Get a road bike. Faster. Easier on your parts. If you ride that one on regular roads it’s gonna labor and tax your body more. Road bikes are made to ride smoother and faster. They are usually 700c size or 27 inches.

For reference road bike is what Dallas is riding in the pic. 
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 12:41:35 PM by GH2001 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

ssgaufan

• WDE!!!
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2018, 12:44:10 PM »
NEXT 26 inch doesn’t sound like a road bike to me. Hybrid/mountain most likely.

Get a road bike. Faster. Easier on your parts. If you ride that one on regular roads it’s gonna labor and tax your body more. Road bikes are made to ride smoother and faster. They are usually 700c size or 27 inches.

For reference road bike is what Dallas is riding in the pic.
So what about the gear question?  Is it really necessary to have a lot of gears?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2018, 12:58:38 PM »
So what about the gear question?  Is it really necessary to have a lot of gears?
For him yes. 

Sounds like he’s wanting to burn calories without taxing his joints. He needs good cardio without as much joint strain. A good 20-22 speed road bike would do that. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2018, 01:04:48 PM »
For him yes.

Sounds like he’s wanting to burn calories without taxing his joints. He needs good cardio without as much joint strain. A good 20-22 speed road bike would do that.
OK. So I will be taking this bike camping with me also. I probably will go off-road a bit. Not much, but a possibility. 

And I am not sure how well those little skinny ass tires will hold me up.

Do they make a mountain bike looking hybrid that would allow me to ride smoothly on the road, but go on a trail also?

And by what you have aid so far, having a bouncy back shock is no good on the road?

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2018, 01:10:07 PM »
OK. So I will be taking this bike camping with me also. I probably will go off-road a bit. Not much, but a possibility.

And I am not sure how well those little skinny ass tires will hold me up.

Do they make a mountain bike looking hybrid that would allow me to ride smoothly on the road, but go on a trail also?

And by what you have aid so far, having a bouncy back shock is no good on the road?
Im not real versed on mTbing but....it’s all in the tires if you’re hitting trails. And the shock system. I’ve seen some hybrids that work well on both. But you won’t be optimal on either. 

I would go with where you will be using it most. If road, get a road bike with thinner tires. If off-road get a mtb with knobbies. Or get both.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2018, 01:14:05 PM »
I don't care what anybody says, there's no better bike seat than this: 

https://www.amazon.com/Schwinn-No-Pressure-Bicycle-Seat/dp/B000DZGLVY/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1535648743&sr=8-9&keywords=wide+comfortable+bike+seat

It doesn't crunch the jewels.  

I would not ride a bike without it.  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

GH2001

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2018, 01:21:36 PM »
And the skinny road tires will hold up fine. Unless you’re like 450 lbs. 

They go up to 120 psi. Hard as a rock. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2018, 01:28:25 PM »
Im not real versed on mTbing but....it’s all in the tires if you’re hitting trails. And the shock system. I’ve seen some hybrids that work well on both. But you won’t be optimal on either.

I would go with where you will be using it most. If road, get a road bike with thinner tires. If off-road get a mtb with knobbies. Or get both.
As I am just looking to get exercise(take the place of running), I think I will look for something with a hardtail, but looks like a mtn bike with thinner road tires. That way it is still strong enough to hit a trail but performs on the street better.

The pedal stroke seems way too small for my legs. Do those vary with the size of the bike?

And if I get one of those super duper wide seats, will it affect my posture or is it just preference?

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2018, 01:31:29 PM »
As I am just looking to get exercise(take the place of running), I think I will look for something with a hardtail, but looks like a mtn bike with thinner road tires. That way it is still strong enough to hit a trail but performs on the street better.

The pedal stroke seems way too small for my legs. Do those vary with the size of the bike?

And if I get one of those super duper wide seats, will it affect my posture or is it just preference?

That all derived from the sprocket size and how low the seat is. And the gearing. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Token

« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2018, 01:49:01 PM »
Why did Dallas leave? He get tired of wiregrass’ shit spam posts too?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2018, 02:01:34 PM »
The keen wore off. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2018, 02:10:42 PM »
I think he got busy with golf also Buzz intimidated him.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2018, 02:31:17 PM »
Here's a good all-around ride.

Image result for Broken down bicycle images
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2018, 02:39:40 PM »
If you don't buy the shorty spandex shorts then you are not a cyclist.  Or a grape smuggler.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.