Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Hall & Oates

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
Hall & Oates
« on: June 29, 2018, 09:15:18 AM »
Went to see Hall and Oates in New Orleans last night.  

Have seen them many times as they used to hit college towns at least once a year back in their heyday.  Great catalog of songs.  Always a good concert.  

Until now.  

One of the worst concerts I've ever seen.  Watching people leave was like being at a Mississippi State football game when they're behind in the fourth quarter.  When the concert started, the row we were on was completely full.  By the midpoint of the concert we had the row entirely to ourselves.  It was bad. Sad to see people fleeing like that.  

What went wrong? Pretty much everything. 

1) The acoustics were terrible.  The mix was really bad.  Some things you couldn't hear very well at all, others blared out.  For instance the sax guy (who looked really old and creepy) was doing his solo stuff but it could barely be heard.  Then you'd get this ridiculously loud blast of a couple of random bass notes.  Darryl spent a good portion of the show complaining out loud about the sound. Ended up with a noisy muddle that obscured the sound that made the band Hall of Famers.  

2) Darryl.  He brought back memories of the stilted oddity that was David Lee Roth when I saw him with Van Halen a few years ago.  Odd hand motions, weird grimaces, fidding with his ridiculous hair.  He changed up the way he did almost every song.  One of the things people enjoy doing is singing along.  He made that near impossible by altering pitch, changing cadence. He'd extend every song with some god awful riffing.  I swear I could have done it as well or better. 

3) The frost.  Darryl and John claim to be having fun and that their friendship is solid.  But there was absolutely zero interaction between the two.  They almost pointedly ignored each other.  Hall introduced and lauded every member of the band (some of whom were pretty technically terrible) but never once mentioned Oates by name or really even looked his way.  

I love seeing the 80s bands.  Styx, Journey, Def Leppard, Toto, Boston, Elton John, Crue, Poison, Duran Duran, Foreigner all put on energetic, technically tight (for the most part) enjoyable shows.  This was just painful.  I'm going to try to block it out of my mind.  It's like seeing an old friend who's let himself go. I'd rather just remember them as they were. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
Re: Hall & Oates
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2018, 09:45:22 AM »
Are you sure you didn't see Daryl Hall and John Oates instead..

Also, apparently John never gets invited to Daryl's House...
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 09:48:18 AM by CCTAU »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2018, 10:02:34 AM »
Hate to hear that since they are one of my guilty pleasures and on the bucket list to see.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2018, 10:10:38 AM »
Definitely one of the sing-along bands where you know the words to every song.  And there's a ton of them.  Saw them once while I was at Auburn.  $4 at BEC. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2018, 11:42:48 AM »
Definitely one of the sing-along bands where you know the words to every song.  And there's a ton of them.  Saw them once while I was at Auburn.  $4 at BEC.
I know.  I saw them so many times from when I was like 16 until my mid-late 20s.  A fun show every single time I went.  Until last night.  And, well, if I'm honest they were pretty bad when I saw them in Atlanta at Midtown Music a couple of years ago.  I blamed that on the heat because it was like 1000 degrees. And also on the fact that they'd just gotten back to touring after a long (and some say contentious) period of inactivity.  I figured rust and heat.  Wrong.  

FWIW, NOLA.com disagrees with my review. 

https://www.nola.com/music/index.ssf/2018/06/hall_and_oates_hammered_out_th.html
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2018, 11:57:24 AM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

chinook

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2018, 12:23:32 PM »
confederate money?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2018, 12:25:50 PM »
confederate money?
Confederate money?  Of course it wasn't Confed.....heeeyyy, wait just a damn minute.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2018, 02:28:29 PM »
confederate money?
actually, the hardest part of him getting there was avoiding the dinosaur shit.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2018, 02:36:14 PM »
Hardee Har Har.  Yo' mama so old, the key on Ben Franklin's kite was to her apartment.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2018, 12:47:32 AM »
Went to see Hall and Oates in New Orleans last night. 

Have seen them many times as they used to hit college towns at least once a year back in their heyday.  Great catalog of songs.  Always a good concert. 

Until now. 

One of the worst concerts I've ever seen.  Watching people leave was like being at a Mississippi State football game when they're behind in the fourth quarter.  When the concert started, the row we were on was completely full.  By the midpoint of the concert we had the row entirely to ourselves.  It was bad. Sad to see people fleeing like that. 

What went wrong? Pretty much everything.

1) The acoustics were terrible.  The mix was really bad.  Some things you couldn't hear very well at all, others blared out.  For instance the sax guy (who looked really old and creepy) was doing his solo stuff but it could barely be heard.  Then you'd get this ridiculously loud blast of a couple of random bass notes.  Darryl spent a good portion of the show complaining out loud about the sound. Ended up with a noisy muddle that obscured the sound that made the band Hall of Famers. 

2) Darryl.  He brought back memories of the stilted oddity that was David Lee Roth when I saw him with Van Halen a few years ago.  Odd hand motions, weird grimaces, fidding with his ridiculous hair.  He changed up the way he did almost every song.  One of the things people enjoy doing is singing along.  He made that near impossible by altering pitch, changing cadence. He'd extend every song with some god awful riffing.  I swear I could have done it as well or better.

3) The frost.  Darryl and John claim to be having fun and that their friendship is solid.  But there was absolutely zero interaction between the two.  They almost pointedly ignored each other.  Hall introduced and lauded every member of the band (some of whom were pretty technically terrible) but never once mentioned Oates by name or really even looked his way. 

I love seeing the 80s bands.  Styx, Journey, Def Leppard, Toto, Boston, Elton John, Crue, Poison, Duran Duran, Foreigner all put on energetic, technically tight (for the most part) enjoyable shows.  This was just painful.  I'm going to try to block it out of my mind.  It's like seeing an old friend who's let himself go. I'd rather just remember them as they were.
Wes, I’ll bet it pisses you off to no end that Kaos can beat Tiger Woods in golf AND play guitar better than Daryl Hall. Doesn’t it?

All while you are just there being gay.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com