Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Fannin getting more looks in new formation

JohnDeere

• Pledge
« on: October 01, 2008, 09:46:26 AM »
http://www.timesdaily.com/article/20081001/ARTICLES/810010333/1164/SPORTS?Title=Fannin_getting_more_looks_in_new_formation

By Luke Brietzke,
For the TimesDaily

Published: Wednesday, October 1, 2008 at 3:30 a.m.
Last Modified: Tuesday, September 30, 2008 at 11:23 p.m.
AUBURN - For weeks, Auburn coaches have said they want to get the ball in Mario Fannin's hands more often.

Yet, Fannin got the ball just nine times through the first four games.

After Fannin failed to get an offensive touch in the LSU game, Auburn offensive coordinator Tony Franklin approached the sophomore with an idea.

Franklin wanted to design an entire package - dubbed the War Eagle formation - for Fannin.

The set is very comparable to The Wildhog formation Arkansas employed last year with running back Darren McFadden taking direct snaps.

Auburn unveiled it during the Tennessee game. The set puts Fannin in the shotgun with four receivers. He takes signals from the sideline, just like a quarterback, then takes a direct snap with quarterback Chris Todd lined up as a receiver.

Auburn used the formation three times Saturday all on one drive. Fannin gained 12 yards on what proved to be Auburn's lone offensive scoring drive.

"It worked out pretty good," Fannin said. "We picked up 4 or 5 yards every time we ran it. We've basically just got to hit the hole better and just get better at it."

Fannin moved from tailback to receiver during the spring and became a permanent receiver when he separated his left shoulder during a spring scrimmage game. That shoulder is healed now, and Fannin is getting more carries.

Auburn exclusively ran from the War Eagle package Saturday, but there are other options. Fannin was a high school quarterback, and he makes sure he leaves his receivers gloves on the sideline when running the package.

Fannin injured his non-throwing shoulder and seems excited for the opportunity to throw a pass.

"Mario will give you an extra dimension in the backfield," Auburn head coach Tommy Tuberville said. "He can throw the ball, and he played this position in high school when they played this formation. It's new to him, especially on this level, but he understands it more than somebody who you threw out there into the mix and had them run it. I liked it. I think it gives you a couple of options, so we'll see how it works out."
For now, Fannin is mostly a runner in the system, which he said gives him some natural advantages.

"It actually gives you more blockers," Fannin said. "You can see where the blocks are going to take place better. It's just like high school to me.

"It's kind of like you just pick where you want to go. It's a set hole, but at the same time, that hole might not be there. So you just got to make a play happen. Just got to basically pick and choose where to go."

Tuberville said the War Eagle formation is something the team will consider running with three or four variations during each game.

If Auburn adds something to Fannin's set, it will likely also take something out of the playbook.

Fannin said he's excited that the coaches are making good on their goal to get him the ball more often.

"It makes me feel great," he said. "Coaches trust me in that aspect of the game, and that's big to me. I'm just going to work hard at it and try to get better each time."

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
Re: Fannin getting more looks in new formation
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 10:47:14 AM »
Fannin was a high school quarterback, and he makes sure he leaves his receivers gloves on the sideline when running the package.

Note to opposing D-Coordinators:  If Fannin is gloveless, watch for Todd to line up at WR.

I'm sure someone would have noticed it eventually anyway, but I'd rather not have the media giving them a heads-up.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 01:11:00 PM »
Note to opposing D-Coordinators:  If Fannin is gloveless, watch for Todd to line up at WR.

I'm sure someone would have noticed it eventually anyway, but I'd rather not have the media giving them a heads-up.

I think that the fact that he will be standing five yards behind the center might be a tip off also.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

wesfau2

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 01:58:55 PM »
I think that the fact that he will be standing five yards behind the center might be a tip off also.

Ya think, sparky?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 02:55:38 PM »
He's just sayin'
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 03:20:58 PM »
Ya think, sparky?

Pretty sure, and I'm betting that even untrained eyes in the stands will find that easier to see than the lack of gloves.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

wesfau2

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 03:24:45 PM »
Pretty sure, and I'm betting that even untrained eyes in the stands will find that easier to see than the lack of gloves.

Do you think that the Defense would appreciate knowing that the probability of Auburn utilizing this formation jumps up significantly if Fannin leaves the sideline without his gloves?  Do you think that might affect their personnel/formation?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2008, 03:26:52 PM »
Do you think that the Defense would appreciate knowing that the probability of Auburn utilizing this formation jumps up significantly if Fannin leaves the sideline without his gloves?  Do you think that might affect their personnel/formation?

Considering we can't throw the ball with Todd in there, probably no.  All we're doing when we put Fannin in there and running from a direct snap is cutting out the middle man.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2008, 03:27:39 PM »
Considering we can't throw the ball with Todd in there, probably no.  All we're doing when we put Fannin in there and running from a direct snap is cutting out the middle man.

Holy hell, you've got this football thing figgered out.  Want a job?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2008, 03:39:13 PM »
Holy hell, you've got this football thing figgered out.  Want a job?

Got one, thanks.  Really think some team is going to be sitting there having some poor GA with binoculars focus on Mario's gloved/less hands?

:popcorn:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

DnATL

• Xcrement talker
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2008, 03:43:38 PM »
Got one, thanks.  Really think some team is going to be sitting there having some poor GA with binoculars focus on Mario's gloved/less hands?

Why does he even need the gloves in the first place?  Are they actually going to throw him the ball?  (If so, he better stay close, within that five-yard range)
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2008, 03:48:26 PM »

If something so trivial can give your defense an advantage, then, yes, I do think someone would be charged with checking the glove status.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2008, 04:27:22 PM »
Why does he even need the gloves in the first place?  Are they actually going to throw him the ball?  (If so, he better stay close, within that five-yard range)

I wondered that too.  If he's most likely going to be running the ball why take the gloves off?  If he is going to pass he can do it David Carr style.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2008, 05:44:46 PM »
I wondered that too.  If he's most likely going to be running the ball why take the gloves off?  If he is going to pass he can do it David Carr style.

Too bad the David Carr style most closely resembles road kill - flat on one's back with feet in the air and struggling to breathe with a massive defender on top of you...

Signed,
Texans fan
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2008, 05:45:09 PM »
Maybe Fannin should be our new QB...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2008, 09:24:05 AM »
Too bad the David Carr style most closely resembles road kill - flat on one's back with feet in the air and struggling to breathe with a massive defender on top of you...

Signed,
Texans fan

Could be an improvement.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2008, 11:28:44 PM »
Mario he takes off his gloves, just in case if the coaches call a pass play.  Just imagine Chris Todd on a fly route....lol.  No One Will EVER Know ($1 to Step Brothers).
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 11:29:40 PM by The Prowler »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2008, 03:41:12 AM »
Mario he takes off his gloves, just in case if the coaches call a pass play.  Just imagine Chris Todd on a fly route....lol.  No One Will EVER Know ($1 to Step Brothers).
My dad will miss me.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

ssgaufan

• WDE!!!
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2008, 12:11:01 PM »
Boy, the wild Mario formation worked great against Vandy didn't it?  Wait...what?  Why the fuck did we not use that wrinkle at least once?  I'm sick of the shitty playcalling this year.   :puke:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Thrilla

• I have a touch of the consumption
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2008, 06:46:09 PM »
Boy, the wild Mario formation worked great against Vandy didn't it?  Wait...what?  Why the fuck did we not use that wrinkle at least once?  I'm sick of the shitty playcalling this year.   :puke:

Exactly.  THE PLAYCALLING FUCKING SUCKS DONKEY DICK.

The immediate solution is to run the fucking ball straight down our opponents fucking throat.  Do it in the War Eagle Formation, Do it in the spread, fuck, Do it in the Wishbone for all I fucking care...but run the ball.  It's what we do.  We don't have the talent at QB or receiver this year to pass it.  The overhaul will come, but this is what to do in the interm.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions