Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Silicon Valley

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
Silicon Valley
« on: May 08, 2017, 09:24:02 AM »
Surprised there's no thread on this amazing show.

On the recent episode:

Gavin B. going to make a hero-turn for his triumphant comeback?  Or will he use Richard to develop the distributed internet and then hijack all the glory for himself.

Obviously, it'll be more the latter than the former.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
Re: Silicon Valley
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 11:19:08 AM »
Surprised there's no thread on this amazing show.

On the recent episode:

Gavin B. going to make a hero-turn for his triumphant comeback?  Or will he use Richard to develop the distributed internet and then hijack all the glory for himself.

Obviously, it'll be more the latter than the former.

Mentioned twice. Figured I was probably the only one who got it. 

http://www.tigersx.com/forum/index.php?topic=24353.msg367173;topicseen#msg367173

http://www.tigersx.com/forum/index.php?topic=19307.msg413338;topicseen#msg413338

It was better at the beginning than it is now.  It's getting bogged down in unrealistic, unlikely circumstances. 

The first couple of seasons are fantastic.  If you don't go back for anything else, go back to watch the AT&T girl as a snake-handling, lingerie wearing, big-ol-tittied distraction to Dinesh.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

wesfau2

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 02:22:26 PM »
I've been watching since the beginning.  Just surprised there wasn't a thread for it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 03:57:14 PM »
I've been watching since the beginning.  Just surprised there wasn't a thread for it.

I have a Gilfoyle who works for me.  I had a Dinesh.  I've worked with a Richard. And a Big Head.  I used to be partners with a Bachman.  I've known a Monica.  I've dealt with Laurie Breams.  And Gavin Belsons. And Action Jacks.  Never really had a Jared around, though. 

That's what hooked me in the beginning.  Just like The Office, I was able to assign people I knew to the people in the story.   Plus, the story of a small company knocking heads with the giant really resonated (as with The Office).  I know that what we do is better, faster, less expensive than the megaglomerate.  But it's so hard to get that message past the blizzard of paper and the constant intimidation.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2017, 09:33:40 AM »
So...no Erlich Bachman in Season 5.  Boooooooooooo.

Belsen rides off to find himself and Hanneman pisses in the 'Vette.  Who will fund the new internet?

Also, the SeeFood/Not Hot Dog storyline was fucking gold.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2017, 10:28:44 AM »
So...no Erlich Bachman in Season 5.  Boooooooooooo.

Belsen rides off to find himself and Hanneman pisses in the 'Vette.  Who will fund the new internet?

Also, the SeeFood/Not Hot Dog storyline was fucking gold.

Agreed. 

The show needs Bachman.  Even though he's a side character it needs that side.  I hope they don't try to replace him with a lightweight version of the same character. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2017, 11:05:38 AM »
Agreed. 

The show needs Bachman.  Even though he's a side character it needs that side.  I hope they don't try to replace him with a lightweight version of the same character.
I think/hope Mike Judge is smarter than to fall into that trap. It does, however, indicate a likelihood that the show is putting on skis and releasing sharks.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2017, 02:01:16 AM »

I really thought they'd cliff-hanger us with the Jared resignation and the Belcher data-drop.  But...

1) Of course Action Jack got imprisoned in China
2) Guilfoyle wore cat lenses
3) Anton died a Nationa Lampoon-worthy death
4) Bighead nearly saved the day; and
5) Richard somehow recovers from stepping all over his dick.  Like an intentional dance.  A two-step.  But he steps much more.  More like a Riverdance upon his penis.

Yet he recovers.  And the solidarity at the end (just  pre-Melcher beatdown) was pretty heartwarming.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2017, 07:48:33 AM »
I really thought they'd cliff-hanger us with the Jared resignation and the Belcher data-drop.  But...

1) Of course Action Jack got imprisoned in China
2) Guilfoyle wore cat lenses
3) Anton died a Nationa Lampoon-worthy death
4) Bighead nearly saved the day; and
5) Richard somehow recovers from stepping all over his dick.  Like an intentional dance.  A two-step.  But he steps much more.  More like a Riverdance upon his penis.

Yet he recovers.  And the solidarity at the end (just  pre-Melcher beatdown) was pretty heartwarming.

It may have been heartwarming, but it reeked of insincerity. 

Richard has turned into a wheedling asshole over the course of the show.  His failures, both personal, petty and professional were never more evident than in the final few episodes.  There was no valid reason for Gilfoyle or Dinesh to come to his support given the way he lied to them and has continually cost them money they deserve.  There's no logical reason for or rationale behind that loyalty. 

I used to like Richard. Felt like he was a good guy struggling to beat a rigged game.  Wanted him to succeed.  He was winning because he had a good idea and created a good product. The only thing holding him back was inexperience at navigating the shark infested waters.  But now?  He's winning in spite of his own pettiness and fraud.  I don't like that turn at all. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2018, 02:51:58 PM »
Season 5 started  Sunday.

Not particularly thrilling.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2018, 10:04:09 AM »
It's not moving me.  

I really feel like the show has lost its way.  The constant fluctuation between gross excess and abject poverty lacks validity.  I've grown tired of watching them gain millions and then piss it away with idiotic decisions only to gain it again -- and then piss it away.  I've grown tired of watching Gavin lose, then win, then lose, then win, then lose again.  

The dynamic between Dinesh and Gilfoyle has grown strained.  They've become one-note caricatures rather than complex characters.  Richard has turned into an asshole jerk that really has no redeeming qualities.  Jin-Yang was always a weak link and relying on him as much as the show does is a misstep.  

There was one brief moment Sunday when I thought it could regain some footing -- the point where Gilfoyle was tearing apart the refrigerator and reviewing every line of his code -- but it quickly stumbled again.  Then it picked up some flow when Jared/Gabe negotiated the settlement with faux-Samsung.  But it seems to be decent only in brief gasps while wheezing and choking far too much of the remainder of the time. 

It's still an interesting show and it still has the potential to find a groove again.  I'm not completely ready to give up, but it needs to find different stories to tell.  It's reached the point to where it's a little like Gilligan's island.  They're going to get off the island!!  Oh no, Gilligan screwed up, they're stuck.  But Gilligan's lovable and even though they're still stranded, his bumbling did have a good ending after all.  

Also?  Please, please , PLEASE where is Monica?  There's something predatory yet vulnerable about her that makes her silky sexy.  The show needs Monica.    
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions