Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Wild, Wild Country

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
Wild, Wild Country
« on: April 02, 2018, 09:06:14 AM »
Some of our...ahem...more senior members might remember this all playing out in real-time, but this was all news to me.

Feel-good cult guy, Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh, skips out of India just ahead of some heavy criminal charges and lands in nowheresville, Oregon.  Out in the north-central part of the state, the closest town is Antelope, Oregon, population 40.  Forty.  Four-Zero.

Rural white folk are predictably skeeved out by their new neighbors and put up procedural roadblocks to the establishment of their new town, Rajneeshpuram.  In retaliation, the cult takes over Antelope, buys up all the available property (there's a lot of it for sale) and makes themselves a thorn in the side of the Antelopians.  Then things escalate.

Six one-hour episodes tell the story and it's a pretty wild ride.  I was left wondering two things: 1) Why didn't we get any backstory on Bhagwan?  When we meet him his cult is already established in India; and 2) What happened to all those people that just went back to their old lives?  Did they ever tell their kids about the 4 years they spent on a commune?  I guess the Duplass brothers left some material on the table for a potential sequel/spinoff.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
Re: Wild, Wild Country
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 10:56:41 AM »
Loosely related. We bought an entertainment center off of a guy in Alpharetta this weekend. Big beautiful house in a beautiful neighborhood. He moved 3 miles down the road...to get away from his neighbors. Said over half the neighborhood is now Indians. Can't go outside without smelling curry all of the time. They stick to themselves and don't socialize much. Said the best neighbors were the Koreans across the street.   

You see this a good bit. They move in and take over areas. People think that India is only a poor country. They have a LOT of rich folks there.

My last night in India (a couple if years ago) after two weeks of work, a couple of guys took us out. We got to talking about arranged marriages and such. We asked about divorce and one says yeah, but its expensive(we all know that). Said his "cousin brother" got a divorce and it cost 3 million. I said rupees? He said no, dollars! Like it was nothing! He looked like anyone else(except he bathed). Drove a Hyundai, dressed normally, but lived in a gated community. There are a lot of rich people in India.
When they move here, they have money to buy up nice places.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.