Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Feeding the Sheriff

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
Feeding the Sheriff
« on: March 24, 2018, 02:37:30 PM »
I'm surprised nobody has touched on the practice of local Sheriffs pocketing "excess" jail food money, a process that helped the Etowah County Sheriff rake in an extra $250,000 a year, funds which helped him obtain millions of dollars in personal property.  

On the one hand, I have no sympathy for inmates.  Jail isn't supposed to be fun.  If your food sucks?  Too bad. Don't be in jail. Be outside where you can decide to get something different if you want.  If your bed is hard?  Sucks for you.  Be outside where you can buy a Serta.  If you're too cold or too hot?  Deal with it.  Be outside where you can adjust the thermostat.  I don't really care if you have to sleep on a thin cotton mattress with a single sheet and you get to eat corndogs and fried eggs every day.  Those are problems you created for yourself.  

On the other hand, though, I don't think dumb fuck country sheriffs should be given incentive to make conditions worse by giving them the opportunity to take home anything they "save" by skimping on the basics for prisoners.  

The Etowah County Sheriff -- who doesn't look like he's missed a meal in many years -- shouldn't be tempted to buy week-old bread and expired Hot Pockets in bulk because he knows that he's going to keep all the money he "saves" by doing so.  

It shows an incredible arrogance and massive ignorance when this rube says he didn't buy the $740k home in Orange Beach (something few of us can afford) from the money he got from the food funds, but that he got him a loan at the bank!  Does he really think we're stupid enough to think that the bank would loan him that kind of money on his regular salary (less than $100k a year) not to mention additional mortgages that total nearly a million dollars?  When he says "that don't have nothin to do with the food fund" is he being purposely obtuse or is he just that dumb? 

The practice is legal apparently.  But is it right?  This guy managed so scrounge up $250k annually from a fund that gets $1.75 a day to feed the prisoners.  It takes a lot of $1.75 to get to $250,000.00.  Think 142,000.  

I don't know that he's done anything "wrong."  If you started digging, you'd find that almost every sheriff in the state abuses this law in some major or minor way.  But this guy is being crucified nationwide.  That's partly because he took it to such public extremes.  You don't buy yourself a three-quarters of a million dollar condo on your $90k a year salary when you're the fat ass sheriff of a community where the average person makes about 40k a year.  It's a slap in their faces.  

I don't think it can be overlooked, however, that he's a Republican about to run for re-election in a county where Roy Moore resides.  I also think it's disingenuous when he bellows "fake news" about something that's clearly NOT fake news.  You should only use Trump's tactics when you're in the right.  This clown isn't.  The news isn't fake.  He recently twattered and bookfarced "facts are stubborn things."  Yes. Yes they are.  And to this point, the facts are exactly as they've been described.  

Whether or not what he's done is illegal (and I welcome anyone's opinion on this subject except Prowler) he's going to become the face for changing a system that his abuses prove needs a change. His largess is ruining things for everybody else. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
Re: Feeding the Sheriff
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2018, 12:32:23 AM »
"The degree of civilization in a society can be judged by entering its prisons."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2018, 01:13:44 AM »
"The degree of civilization in a society can be judged by entering its prisons."
Karl Marx? Saul Alinsky? 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2018, 07:21:09 PM »
Fyodor Dostoyevsky
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Token

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2018, 10:45:29 PM »
I work for the guy so obviously I'm a bit biased but this isn't as big of a deal as it's being made out and a lot of information is being purposely omitted.  Like the fact that his wife makes $110,000 a year which puts their household income around $200,000.  Is it unreasonable to believe a household making $200k a year can't afford a $580k mortgage?  It also hasn't been reported that he's a partner in a very successful river lot business that generates, I'm sure, a decent revenue.  So at best it's purposely omitted information to suggest that he's bought the home on just $93k a year.  

Now as for the law, it's dumb as fuck.  But there is a reason the law was never changed.  If the county commission takes the responsibility of feeding inmates (which they should) they aren't going to profit at all and will likely lose money.  Calhoun County reported going in the pocket for $56,000 just last month alone because it's impossible to feed inmates 3 times a day for $1.75.  For the county commission to take the food bill they would have to use a bid list for all items bought.  The sheriff can't legally enter into a contract with anyone which means he can buy from whoever he wants.  Which means he can buy produce from a local farmer at bottom dollar who likely isn't on a government bid list whereas the county commission can't.  So it saves the county commission (and tax payers) extra funds for the sheriff to just handle it himself.  But now you've placed the burden of (in Etowah County) feeding 950 inmates 3 times a day which is roughly 1 million meals a year.  So on top of having to deal with the responsibility of being the highest ranking law enforcement official in the county which I can assure you is an 18 hour day on most days, he also has to worry about feeding 1 million meals a year.  Purchasing enough food for 1 million meals a year.  Finding the best deals for 1 million meals a year.  Making sure a menu is prepared that meets federal standards (because Etowah County has an immigration contract) and passing routine inspections of said food.  You really think he shouldn't be compensated at all for that?  He should handle running the largest kitchen in the county, pay taxes on each $1.75 payment that comes to him and not keep ANY of it should he be business savvy enough to feed 950 people 3 times a day for less than $1.75 each?  When he took the job he asked the county commission to take the responsibility.  They went as far as seeking an opinion from the attorney general who stated it was the Sheriff's responsibility.  He then had to borrow $150,000 to buy enough food to get started.  Also, if he wasn't business savvy enough to feed 3 times a day for $1.75 it would be coming out of his pocket with 0 chance of being reimbursed.  

Lastly, the story behind the story is the federal contract to house about 350 immigration detainees held by Etowah County.  The author who purposely omitted a bunch of facts to make a good headline doesn't give a fuck about the food, the sheriff or the conditions of the jail.  He is tied directly to ShutdownEtowah and is working hard to cause enough problems to have the federal government pull the immigration detainees out of the facility.  But he made a good headline and in 2018 that's all it takes to get the pitchforks up.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 10:48:54 PM by Token »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2018, 11:56:04 PM »
I work for the guy so obviously I'm a bit biased but this isn't as big of a deal as it's being made out and a lot of information is being purposely omitted.  Like the fact that his wife makes $110,000 a year which puts their household income around $200,000.  Is it unreasonable to believe a household making $200k a year can't afford a $580k mortgage? 

It also hasn't been reported that he's a partner in a very successful river lot business that generates, I'm sure, a decent revenue.  So at best it's purposely omitted information to suggest that he's bought the home on just $93k a year.  

Now as for the law, it's dumb as fuck.  But there is a reason the law was never changed.  If the county commission takes the responsibility of feeding inmates (which they should) they aren't going to profit at all and will likely lose money.  Calhoun County reported going in the pocket for $56,000 just last month alone because it's impossible to feed inmates 3 times a day for $1.75.  For the county commission to take the food bill they would have to use a bid list for all items bought.  The sheriff can't legally enter into a contract with anyone which means he can buy from whoever he wants.  Which means he can buy produce from a local farmer at bottom dollar who likely isn't on a government bid list whereas the county commission can't.  So it saves the county commission (and tax payers) extra funds for the sheriff to just handle it himself.  But now you've placed the burden of (in Etowah County) feeding 950 inmates 3 times a day which is roughly 1 million meals a year.  So on top of having to deal with the responsibility of being the highest ranking law enforcement official in the county which I can assure you is an 18 hour day on most days, he also has to worry about feeding 1 million meals a year.  Purchasing enough food for 1 million meals a year.  Finding the best deals for 1 million meals a year.  Making sure a menu is prepared that meets federal standards (because Etowah County has an immigration contract) and passing routine inspections of said food.  You really think he shouldn't be compensated at all for that?  He should handle running the largest kitchen in the county, pay taxes on each $1.75 payment that comes to him and not keep ANY of it should he be business savvy enough to feed 950 people 3 times a day for less than $1.75 each?  When he took the job he asked the county commission to take the responsibility.  They went as far as seeking an opinion from the attorney general who stated it was the Sheriff's responsibility.  He then had to borrow $150,000 to buy enough food to get started.  Also, if he wasn't business savvy enough to feed 3 times a day for $1.75 it would be coming out of his pocket with 0 chance of being reimbursed.  

Lastly, the story behind the story is the federal contract to house about 350 immigration detainees held by Etowah County.  The author who purposely omitted a bunch of facts to make a good headline doesn't give a fuck about the food, the sheriff or the conditions of the jail.  He is tied directly to ShutdownEtowah and is working hard to cause enough problems to have the federal government pull the immigration detainees out of the facility.  But he made a good headline and in 2018 that's all it takes to get the pitchforks up.
1.   Can't speak for all bankers, but it's borderline at best.  If it were just the one house?  Probably not as big a deal.  But they've got mortgages on nearly $2 mil worth of property.   Sorry.  That's out of bounds.  You couldn't get that and neither could I.

2.  Where did he get the money to invest in the river lot venture?  If it came from this same pool then that doesn't help.  If anything it compounds the problem. 

3. I have no problem with him making money off the work if that's the law and he has to handle all that.  At the same time, $250k is fucking EXCESSIVE to do it.  I'd do it for less than half that.  

4. I hate pitchforks unless they are in my hand.  This guy is being dragged through the mud and I figured there were political motivations beyond what we see.  

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Token

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2018, 12:23:19 AM »
I can’t speak for all of his finances because I’m not privy to that much information. I do know over the years they’ve bought a lot of old homes and flipped them. The river lot was an on run down motorcycle shop that has been turned into a lucrative river restaurant. How much he put in? I’m not sure. 

As for the $250k, I’m not disagreeing with you. It does seem excessive to me, but I put 0 effort or time into running that business. Maybe it’s a gigantic headache and worth every penny. Or maybe it’s not hard and all and easy money. Either way, he isn’t a legislator. He can’t propose bills, vote on bills or have any say so. That lies directly at the feet of our lawmakers.  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2018, 12:43:56 PM »
Vegans claim that beans are a great source of protein. I would be serving beans by the truckload.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2018, 11:41:59 AM »
Vegans claim that beans are a great source of protein. I would be serving beans by the truckload.
Technically black beans have more than red meat per ounce. You don't have to be a vegan to know that. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

chinook

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2018, 03:21:31 PM »
Technically black beans have more than red meat per ounce. You don't have to be a vegan to know that.
and black beans don't kill animals.   and black beans use very little water.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

bgreene

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2018, 03:44:54 PM »
I'm honestly surprised it has taken this long for this topic to come up on the X.  I having worked there, and having a disagreement (with mainly the man in question) that led to me leaving after several years there, have my thoughts on the matter.  However, because of friendships that I have with people that still work there, I will not voice my opinions.  I will say (just like I've told everyone that's asked me) that what he is doing is legal.  If the people of Etowah county don't like what's going on, then there is a candidate they can cast a vote for when election time comes.  There have always been people who don't like the man for this reason or that.  There have always been people who say they are "tired of the good ol boy network" at the sheriff's office.  So all that is being said is nothing new, but the fact that someone has reported dollar amounts in the age of social media has made this grow legs outside of Etowah county.  I will say that while he is not able to purpose legislation to change this, the Sheriff's association in Montgomery has plenty of pull.  At the end of the day, until the law is changed, he is in his rights to do what he's been doing.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Men are made stronger on the realization that the helping hand they need is at the end of their own arm."

-Sidney Phillips

Token

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2018, 03:38:06 PM »
This story really just pisses me off because I know it is a money bought attempt to remove a federal contract from Etowah County from a liberal agenda.  BUT, I'm becoming more pissed this has been allowed to happen to begin with.  $365,000 is a stupid amount of money to keep from tax dollars for one's self.  Law or no law.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 03:40:42 PM by Token »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2018, 04:43:46 PM »
This story really just pisses me off because I know it is a money bought attempt to remove a federal contract from Etowah County from a liberal agenda.  BUT, I'm becoming more pissed this has been allowed to happen to begin with.  $365,000 is a stupid amount of money to keep from tax dollars for one's self.  Law or no law.
Typical Tuesday here at the office.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2018, 09:36:47 AM »
Typical Tuesday here at the office.
WE!!! laughs at you, since that's called "Before 9am on Monday."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2018, 10:10:18 AM »
Maybe it just brings up the fact that we are feeding the prisoners too much. Its not like they need the energy!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2018, 10:19:21 AM »
Speaking of prisoners, did you see where the Parkland High School shooter is getting multiple love letters and donations?  Girls and guys are wanting to sex him up and he's had $800.00 donated to his prison commissary account.  We've got some sick puppies in this country.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2018, 09:35:37 AM »
Maybe it just brings up the fact that we are feeding the prisoners too much. Its not like they need the energy!
Come on boys!  The way you're lollygaggin' around here with them picks and shovels, you'd think it was a hundert an' twenty degree.  Can't be no more than a hundert an' fourteen!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2018, 10:43:14 AM »
Come on boys!  The way you're lollygaggin' around here with them picks and shovels, you'd think it was a hundert an' twenty degree.  Can't be no more than a hundert an' fourteen!
If only we could bring back the chain gangs. The Alabama interstates would be trash free again!
And since we already integrated, nobody's gonna get it in the neck!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2018, 11:37:41 AM »
Come on boys!  The way you're lollygaggin' around here with them picks and shovels, you'd think it was a hundert an' twenty degree.  Can't be no more than a hundert an' fourteen!
The sheriff is near!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions