No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
Re: Can't say that down here...
« Reply #61 on: January 23, 2018, 08:41:00 AM »
Totally unrelated subject, but I read that piece and saw #1. Students were playing music, presumably on their phones, and #B. Someone filmed the incident with the booksnaps.  Question.  Why do these kids have their phones while school is in session?  I know, I know.  What a crusty ole curmudgeon you are.  At my son's school, kids can take their cell phones, but they check em' at the door.  You can have them back when school is out.  In all seriousness, what could kids possibly need their phones for during school hours?
Using your phone beats writing the test answers on the palm of your hand.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #62 on: January 24, 2018, 09:51:34 AM »
When it comes to existing racism, neither version of the word helps to quell the problem.

I agree with this, mostly.

The problem is that stuff like this:

Doesn't matter how it's used.  You can either call somebody that or you can't.

completely ignores nuance and history in favor of simple-minded absolutes.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #63 on: January 24, 2018, 10:09:21 AM »
I agree with this, mostly.

The problem is that stuff like this:

completely ignores nuance and history in favor of simple-minded absolutes.

Nuance and history are fine except in the case where the word is so ostensibly egregious that if one person says it they must be drummed out of society, lose their livelihood and suffer public scorn -- but if another does, hey, it's all cool my brotha! 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

wesfau2

« Reply #64 on: January 24, 2018, 10:16:36 AM »
Nuance and history are fine

Shoulda just stopped there, champ.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #65 on: January 24, 2018, 11:30:17 AM »
Shoulda just stopped there, champ.

No, I'm right whether you want to admit it or not.  Let's look at as related to firearms. 

Firearms are words.  We all agree that it's a constitutionally protected right for American citizens to possess, carry and use firearms.  It's okay for Jay-Z, Eminem, white sorority girls and hippies from Sacremento to have guns. 

Some firearms are more destructive than others, however.  Those are limited. 

The a rocket launcher is equivalent to that word that triggers you so badly. If the sorority girl can't shoot one of those off?  Neither can Jay-Z or Eminem.

You're advocating a double standard which is laughable.  Once again you're advocating for some societal constraint where a nebulous panel of somebodies decides which class or group is allowed and which is not.  That's the worst form of anything.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #66 on: January 24, 2018, 12:43:14 PM »
No, I'm right whether you want to admit it or not.  Let's look at as related to firearms. 

Firearms are words.  We all agree that it's a constitutionally protected right for American citizens to possess, carry and use firearms.  It's okay for Jay-Z, Eminem, white sorority girls and hippies from Sacremento to have guns. 

Some firearms are more destructive than others, however.  Those are limited. 

The a rocket launcher is equivalent to that word that triggers you so badly. If the sorority girl can't shoot one of those off?  Neither can Jay-Z or Eminem.

You're advocating a double standard which is laughable.  Once again you're advocating for some societal constraint where a nebulous panel of somebodies decides which class or group is allowed and which is not.  That's the worst form of anything.
They're not the same word and they're not used the same.

You're allowed to have a firearm for self defense, but you're not allowed to use them to rob liquor stores.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #67 on: January 24, 2018, 12:51:58 PM »

You're allowed to have a firearm for self defense, but you're not allowed to use them to rob liquor stores.

True.  But I'm white and I still can't use either one, regardless of context.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #68 on: January 24, 2018, 12:59:42 PM »

You can't use a rocket launcher for defense or robbery.   

That 'oh so awful' word that our grandparents used as a general form of address (no malice intended) is currently the verbal equivalent of a rocket launcher. 

Pretending otherwise is absurd. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #69 on: January 24, 2018, 12:59:49 PM »

Not even remotely comparable.

The issue is too complex to draw some A-B comparison and any attempt to do so is laughable.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #70 on: January 24, 2018, 01:00:21 PM »
That's an entirely different conversation and one you'd probably get me to agree on a lot more.

When it comes to that though, ultimately I come to this:
While I do believe there is a difference between Jay-Z calling a fellow rapper a nigga and the college girl saying black 10 times both versions of the word only prolong racism.  When it comes to existing racism, neither version of the word helps to quell the problem.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #71 on: January 24, 2018, 01:03:35 PM »

Sure you can.  It's about context and intent.

Factual reporting of this story must (absent some compelling reason to censor it) include the word.  If you recount the story just to gloat in the "freedom" to say it, though, you're a fucking dolt and a racist.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #72 on: January 24, 2018, 01:05:09 PM »
Not even remotely comparable.

The issue is too complex to draw some A-B comparison and any attempt to do so is laughable.

It's only complex because YOU (the ubiquitous you) try to apply some nebulous standards to determine who can say it, in what context and when. 

If the utterance of the word by a white person is a valid rationale for their expulsion, loss of income, public shaming, and societal shunning then that very word itself must be so toxic that no one should be able to speak it in any form. 

It's actually quite simple until you (again ubiquitous) apply your own white guilt and media manipulated white self-loathing. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #73 on: January 24, 2018, 01:20:46 PM »
It's only complex because YOU (the ubiquitous you) try to apply some nebulous standards to determine who can say it, in what context and when. 

If the utterance of the word by a white person is a valid rationale for their expulsion, loss of income, public shaming, and societal shunning then that very word itself must be so toxic that no one should be able to speak it in any form. 

It's actually quite simple until you (again ubiquitous) apply your own white guilt and media manipulated white self-loathing.

I'm sorry that you (non-ubiquitous) think everything can be black and white (ha!), it simply cannot.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #74 on: January 24, 2018, 01:23:36 PM »

AGAIN, the white person wouldn't be expelled for using it in rap lyrics, or at least if they were I'd agree with you that expulsion would be ridiculous given the context. The context is not who the individual is using the word so much as HOW they are using it. And again, they're not even the same word, and they're not even spelled the same, and they don't even have the same meaning.

The context in THIS example was "I FUCKING HATE N*GGERS". You're not this thick.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #75 on: January 24, 2018, 01:26:30 PM »

Also,do you think his hat looks gay too?

Am I the only one that feels this way?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #76 on: January 24, 2018, 01:29:48 PM »
AGAIN, the white person wouldn't be expelled for using it in rap lyrics, or at least if they were I'd agree with you that expulsion would be ridiculous given the context. The context is not who the individual is using the word so much as HOW they are using it. And again, they're not even the same word, and they're not even spelled the same, and they don't even have the same meaning.

The context in THIS example was "I FUCKING HATE N*GGERS". You're not this thick.

Don't care about the context.  Was expelled for using a "racial slur."   Maybe she does hate black people. Maybe she does resent the double standards.  The thought police refuse to allow her to hold that opinion?

If she'd said she hates damn white people -- nobody would have batted an eye.  We hear it every day in the bashing of "privilege" and other white values.

Anything else is superfluous.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #77 on: January 24, 2018, 01:31:11 PM »
I'm sorry that you (non-ubiquitous) think everything can be black and white (ha!), it simply cannot.

Not everything can. 

But if this particular word is that offensive, all should suffer the same consequence regardless of context.  You shouldn't get to decide whether it's okay for me to say it but not WT.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #78 on: January 24, 2018, 01:54:27 PM »

I hate people who nag and am not ashamed to admit it.

I don’t get why you dance around the word nagger so much. Pussy.

But saying Kaos isn’t that thick, just curious. Have you seen him lately?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #79 on: January 24, 2018, 09:29:35 PM »
Go ahead Kaos...you can continue saying it. I'm sure that's what you wanted to hear. Btw, whenever I'm Karaoking rap songs, I still don't say it, but hey that's just me.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs