Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

The Gus Meter

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
The Gus Meter
« on: January 10, 2018, 03:30:40 PM »
Just wondering what the general feeling is. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
Re: The Gus Meter
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 04:06:45 PM »
I picked should have moved on, but things could be worse.  Things could always be worse.

But we gave the man a huge salary based on two wins (that most on here have agreed should be part of his regular job).  I feel as if we are in the same spot as when we hired him, we really don't know what kind of coach he is. Is he the bama & UGA world beater now? or are we the same team that played against LSU? Maybe we jelled at the right time and caught an unbeaten UGA off guard at home and a beat up bama squad again at home? 

I think he is a hell of a recruiter given the climate at bama and now at UGlAy to have top 10 classes is something he definitely deserves kudos for.

I'm going to talk out of both sides of my mouth on this because while I don't totally blame him for the losses to UGA or UCF, I think there were other factors that came into play. Such as we came limping into the SEC championship and I don't think we gave a shit about UCF.  However, I still partially blame him at the same time for those games, because I feel Kerryon should not have played (he was more of a liability) and I feel he should have had the boys more ready to play against UCF we looked sloppy. 

He has turned our defense around and most don't give him credit for that, however, our offense is still very sporadic at times and that is supposed to be his genius. 

I'm not sure that I really wanted to part ways with him this year, probably would have given him another year based on the whole season results, however I think the contract was a yuuuuge mistake. 

I would have said coach we have an agreement here are your bonus payments for going to the SEC, we are going to give you a 500k raise, we will give you a 1 year extension (so contract goes through 2021 I think).  We want you to stay but, if the grass is greener in Arky so be it.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 04:09:29 PM by Godfather »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 04:07:08 PM »
Should've moved on, but things could be worse.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

AUTailgatingRules

• Home of the Tailgate
  • By the Pink Dumpster since 2004
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 04:10:22 PM »
Glad we kept him
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 04:17:37 PM »
I picked number D.  I said numerous times, write the man a fat check for beating UGA and Bama, something he hadn't done the 3 previous years.  Then tell him he's got a nice contract already.  Stay if you want.  Go if you want. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2018, 04:18:53 PM »
I picked the middle one.

Everything GF said is true, but consider that what Saban is doing across the state is abnormal and no one else is coming close to doing what he's doing. Clemson's about the closest thing to it, and it's not really close. Gus is one of the very few active coaches that have beaten Saban and he's done it on multiple occasions.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018, 04:25:37 PM »
I picked the middle one.

Everything GF said is true, but consider that what Saban is doing across the state is abnormal and no one else is coming close to doing what he's doing. Clemson's about the closest thing to it, and it's not really close. Gus is one of the very few active coaches that have beaten Saban and he's done it on multiple occasions.
Gus, Dabo, and Urban. That's it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2018, 04:26:19 PM »
I was torn between 3 and D.  I finally chose 4.
I think it's obvious that the extension was a mistake for every reason under the sun other than recruiting.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2018, 04:27:42 PM »
I picked the middle one.

Honestly, I think this will be the year we truly see what coach he is.  Why...

- All returning assistant coaches:  No excuses about Stidham and Lindsey not gelling. 
- Returning QB: As much shit as I gave Stidham, and I think he has room for improvement.  The kid is a good player and can win big games.  Another year in the system with pretty much all of our WR's back.  Again should have no excuses with the passing game.
- Reload: Needs to rebuild the offensive line, the biggest glaring issue for next year besides the schedule.
- Navigate the schedule: We have a tough schedule next season, if we can pull out 9-10 wins with no blow-outs, I will consider it a win.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2018, 04:37:26 PM »
Honestly, I think this will be the year we truly see what coach he is.  Why...

- All returning assistant coaches:  No excuses about Stidham and Lindsey not gelling. 
- Returning QB: As much shit as I gave Stidham, and I think he has room for improvement.  The kid is a good player and can win big games.  Another year in the system with pretty much all of our WR's back.  Again should have no excuses with the passing game.
- Reload: Needs to rebuild the offensive line, the biggest glaring issue for next year besides the schedule.
- Navigate the schedule: We have a tough schedule next season, if we can pull out 9-10 wins with no blow-outs, I will consider it a win.

I agree with this 93.648%   :thumsup:  I can deal with 9-10 wins against the schedule we have.  What this dude can't abide would be the losses coming as a result of going Full Gus. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2018, 04:43:00 PM »
On the schedule note, it's actually a pretty interesting set up.  If we can break the ATL curse and take care of the Huskies, all of our big games are at home until Amen Corner.  And in a year when you normally look at our home schedule and try to find a game worth going to, this year looks pretty damn good. LSU, Tennessee and Texas A&M coming to JHS.  Oh yeah, along with Alabama State.  And if PCT stands me up for that one, like he did Alabama A&M, I will take the bus home and he will not see me at the pancake social on Tuesday.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2018, 04:46:30 PM »
I agree with this 93.648%   :thumsup:  I can deal with 9-10 wins against the schedule we have.  What this dude can't abide would be the losses coming as a result of going Full Gus.

If we have a game like LSU or Clemson next season, I would support firing him on the sideline.  There should be no reason for that next year.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2018, 04:51:14 PM »
If we have a game like LSU or Clemson next season, I would support firing him on the sideline.  There should be no reason for that next year.

7M/year, we damn well better be in every game.  We get our shit pushed in, someone needs to be out on their ass.

And for the record, I voted for E.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2018, 04:54:15 PM »
7M/year, we damn well better be in every game.  We get our shit pushed in, someone needs to be out on their ass.

Line stepper
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2018, 04:56:37 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2018, 05:03:26 PM »

Here's the thing, the poll was a little finite.  I  am actually a mixture of C, D and E. 

E. Ultimately, I don't think he is going to work out either, I think in 4 years we are going to be coach shopping.

D. he is a good recruiter we have no AD, no leadership it seems in the Athletic Department. I really didn't want to bungle another HC search.  I think it would have been a UT epic level fuck-up. So could have been worse.

C. I would have given him one more year based on the way this year turned out.  The contract though was a colossal fuck up.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2018, 05:04:54 PM »
Here's the thing, the poll was a little finite.  I  am actually a mixture of C, D and E. 

E. Ultimately, I don't think he is going to work out either, I think in 4 years we are going to be coach shopping.

D. he is a good recruiter we have no AD, no leadership it seems in the Athletic Department. I really didn't want to bungle another HC search.  I think it would have been a UT epic level fuck-up. So could have been worse.

C. I would have given him one more year based on the way this year turned out.  The contract though was a colossal fuck up.

Line stepper.  Oh wait...I mean, those are great points.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2018, 05:09:39 PM »
Really mostly about this for me.

I'm glad he didn't go to Arkansas or whatever. I'm glad we held on to him. The probability of actually upgrading was infinitesimally small. Considering all of the variables in this year's coaching carousel I'd say we were 99% likely to downgrade. Let alone all the instability factors that come from a coaching change, no matter how good or bad they are.

But we didn't need to break the bank to keep him, IMO. Could have probably suffered through some interim asshole for a year or so if push came to shove.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2018, 05:16:22 PM »

D. he is a good recruiter we have no AD, no leadership it seems in the Athletic Department. I really didn't want to bungle another HC search.  I think it would have been a UT epic level fudge-up. So could have been worse.

C. I would have given him one more year based on the way this year turned out.  The contract though was a colossal fudge up.

Yep, that's about how I feel, you just say it better.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2018, 06:40:22 PM »
Sorry to get all religious on you boys, but, Amen, brother Ben.

Shot a rooster, killed a hen.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com