Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

2018 Installment of MLB Bitchin' & Moanin'

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Re: 2018 Installment of MLB Bitchin' & Moanin'
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2018, 04:31:34 PM »
The Braves are most likely going to take their Spring Training suckage straight through the regular season.  I'm resigned to that.  But, I am anxious to see if this kid, Ronald Acuna, who is the Braves' top prospect, makes some noise this year.  He's started picking it up the last few games and went 3-3 today against the Yank Me's.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2018, 04:45:40 PM »
Jar, I think the Cards look pretty stout with the line up.  With the addition of Ozuna, they look like they can have some pop, especially at the top of the line up.  If you can put Dexter Fowler, Paul DeJong (Is it Paul?), Matt Carpenter and Marcell Ozuna up there, along with Molina, that's pretty stout.  My question is where the pitching is coming from? Wainright is getting long in the tooth.  Wacha has plenty of experience but honestly, I don't recognize another pitcher on the roster.  Maybe I just didn't pay attention more real gooder last year. Who should be on the bump? 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2018, 11:29:28 AM »
Snags, you sound like every Cards fan here in town.

I love Waino, but yeah, he's old.  Had a good run here in STL, but I think he needs to retire.

Martinez is going to be the ace, and I'm not sure I trust him.

Wacha is maybe a 3 or a 4.  Mikolas...  so far he's a bust. 

I think the promising young guy is Luke Weaver.  But... rookie.  So you don't know what you're going to get.

I mean, they were in a bidding war for Price a few years ago, and so I can't blame them for trying.  Lots of teams lose bidding wars to the Red Sox.  But aside from that, who do you go get?  What FA would you sign?  Arietta?  I love the guy, but he's not worth the multi-year deal you'll have to fork over.  Lynn, same thing.

Now, I'm impressed with the pitching coach the Cards managed to hire away from the Nats, so lets see what he can do.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2018, 11:47:38 AM »
Ozuna, Acuna, Hakuna, Matatta! Holy cripes. Do any muricans play baseball any more?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2018, 11:53:57 AM »
Ozuna, Acuna, Hakuna, Matatta! Holy cripes. Do any muricans play baseball any more?
That's biesbol!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2018, 12:07:34 PM »
Snags, you sound like every Cards fan here in town.

I love Waino, but yeah, he's old.  Had a good run here in STL, but I think he needs to retire.

Martinez is going to be the ace, and I'm not sure I trust him.

Wacha is maybe a 3 or a 4.  Mikolas...  so far he's a bust.  

I think the promising young guy is Luke Weaver.  But... rookie.  So you don't know what you're going to get.

I mean, they were in a bidding war for Price a few years ago, and so I can't blame them for trying.  Lots of teams lose bidding wars to the Red Sox.  But aside from that, who do you go get?  What FA would you sign?  Arietta?  I love the guy, but he's not worth the multi-year deal you'll have to fork over.  Lynn, same thing.

Now, I'm impressed with the pitching coach the Cards managed to hire away from the Nats, so lets see what he can do.
Not a lot of arms left in the free agency pool.  And I agree on Areola.  He's 32 already, which is not that old.  But, any long term deal would probably wind up wasting a ship load of cash on the back side.  I'd love to have him on the Bravos staff right now, though.  We've just got a whole lot of yeeeesh!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2018, 05:37:57 PM »
Speaking of free agents, you've got Mike Moustakas and Carlos Gonzales just hanging out there.  Gonzales kind of dropped off in production last year but in 2016, he hit .300 with 25 HR and 100 RBI.  Moustakas is a 3rd baseman and is the Royals all time HR leader.  I know a certain team that could use either or both these guys.  Problem is, that team's name is nowhere to be found in possible suitors.  The damn tearing down process is long since over. Time to start adding some serious pieces to the rebuild.  Unless you're trying to be shitty again.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2018, 05:54:24 PM »
But same thing with the batters that we said about the pitchers.  Are those guys worth the 20m+ they are asking?  Maybe for a year or two.  But you're going to be paying 20+ when these guys are hitting .240 and struggling to hit 15 HR when they get to year 4 or 5 of a deal.  See Pujols, Albert.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2018, 08:18:35 PM »
A little payroll bitchin' and moanin'.  I'm referencing the Cubs, Cards and Braves because those are about the only teams discussed in this forum.  War Eagle needs to get his Walker Texas Ranger ass in gear.  May throw in some Red Sachs because that's my adopted anti-Yankee AL club.

The Cubbies are making it rain to the tune of about $160 million.  The least bang for the buck goes to the Cubs for paying Jason Wayward $21.5 per.  With incentives, he could earn over $28m.  But it's pretty clear he won't do that. John Lester and Yu are pulling down about $22m apiece.  Fair return on today's market. They picked up Ben Zobrist for a cool $16m, while Kris Bryant is raking in just under $11m.

For the Cards, the two snaggletoothed vets are leading the way with Yadi makig $20m and A. Wainwright a close 2nd at $19.5.  Dexter, Matt & Marcell come in at $14.5m..$13.5m and $9m respectively. Again, probably solid payouts in today's market.  The Cards are a thunderstorm behind how much the Cubs are making it rain with a total payroll of $141m.  Which brings me to a point or question.  $17m of that is "Retained Salary" for a guy named Mike Leake.  I sort of remember the name.  But here's what's weirder...

The Braves are paying a retained salary of $16.5m to Adrian Gonzales.  Okay, unless the Braves signed him during that year and a half I was in rehab for meth and sex addiction, I don't recall the man ever playing for Atlanta.  Was that some crazy trade shit when they got Matt Kemp from the Dodgers?  Hell, I think AG is out of baseball.  But ATL is sending him a $16.5m check?  WTF???

Anywho, the "rebuilding" Braves are paying 4 guys $10m plus.  Freddie is making bank at $21m.  Legit.  But two of the guys are pitchers they got from the Dodgers in Scott Kazmir ($16m) and Brandon McCarthy ($13m).  Nick Markakis is just above the $10m level.  BTW, McCarthy is a pitcher who is 9 games under .500 for his career.  Kazmir is a few games over .500.  Not solid in today's market.  Total payroll is $87m.  So, you're not paying for talent and spending too much on questionable at best talent.  Enjoy your 75 wins.  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2018, 10:13:49 AM »
J-Hey tweaked his swing again this offseason and I know it's going to work.  This time.
His defense makes the contract bearable, but damn.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2018, 10:20:44 AM »
Snags, where you getting that Leake 17M number from?

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/STL/st-louis-cardinals-salaries-and-contracts.shtml

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/ATL/atlanta-braves-salaries-and-contracts.shtml

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHC/chicago-cubs-salaries-and-contracts.shtml

Show's its 6 for Leake, but over 20 for Adrian Gonzalez for you guys. Also has the cubs spending over 180M.

This number warms my black, cold heart, although I think he can opt out if he wants after next season (but with his offensive numbers, why the hell would you?)
8 yrs/$184M (16-23)$28.17M$20M$21M$21M$22M$22M
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 10:22:37 AM by AUJarhead »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2018, 10:22:27 AM »
J-Hey tweaked his swing again this offseason and I know it's going to work.  This time.
His defense makes the contract bearable, but damn.
His defense is Pop Tarts.  Crazy good.  (Just made that up myself)  Never seen a guy with more potential, at the plate, be a bigger bust.  When the Braves let him go, I was all like, "Noooo.....oh whatever."  Maybe this is his year to bust loose.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #52 on: March 07, 2018, 10:24:15 AM »
Snags, where you getting that Leake 17M number from?

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/STL/st-louis-cardinals-salaries-and-contracts.shtml

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/ATL/atlanta-braves-salaries-and-contracts.shtml

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHC/chicago-cubs-salaries-and-contracts.shtml

Show's its 6 for Leake, but over 20 for Adrian Gonzalez for you guys. Also has the cubs spending over 180M.

This number warms my black, cold heart, although I think he can opt out if he wants after next season (but with his offensive numbers, why the hell would you?)
8 yrs/$184M (16-23)$28.17M$20M$21M$21M$22M$22M
http://www.spotrac.com/mlb/st.-louis-cardinals/payroll/
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2018, 10:40:22 AM »
http://www.spotrac.com/mlb/st.-louis-cardinals/payroll/
Crazy how it's so different.
Yadier Molina has said when his contract expires in 2020, he will retire.  He'll have a number retired for sure at Busch, but honestly, you guys think he's a HOF?  Granted, I have cardinal colored glasses on, and I think he was the catcher of the decade for the last 10 years, but his offense is no where near people like Bench or Pudge (Bench .267/389hr/2048 hits/1376rbi, Pudge .296/311hr/2844 hits/1332, Yadi .284/126hr/1730 hits/785rbi)  Should get to 2000 hits, but I don't see him getting to 200 HR or 1000rbi.  If he gets in, it will be because of how he calls a game and his defense, although he doesn't have the golden gloves that Bench or Pudge have (Bench with 10, Pudge with 13, Yadi with 8).
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #54 on: March 07, 2018, 10:49:31 AM »
From what I have seen, he may not have the overall offensive numbers but he's been Mr. Clutch at the plate over his career.  When they have needed a big knock, he's delivered.  That combined with his defense should put him in the hall imo.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

« Reply #55 on: March 07, 2018, 10:58:06 AM »
You can always tell how good a guy is by what your rivals think when he is batting.

Like when Bryant or Rizzo come to the plate, I secretly wish that they get hit in the back, and when sprinting down to first base, they blow out their Achilles.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2018, 11:30:46 AM »
From what I have seen, he may not have the overall offensive numbers but he's been Mr. Clutch at the plate over his career.  When they have needed a big knock, he's delivered.  That combined with his defense should put him in the hall imo.
This^^  I'd rather have anyone else in the line up at the plate in a crucial situation.  Many a time have I cussed that man.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #57 on: March 28, 2018, 11:28:56 AM »
Today, we're all 0-0, and all have the potential to go 162-0.

Best of luck tomorrow, boys.

Buzz, here's the Bobblehead promotions for this year.  Which one you coming up for?
Mystery Hall of Fame Opening Day Car Parade Bobblehead (April 7)
Dexter Fowler Bobblehead (April 21)
Chris Carpenter Bobblehead (June 3)
Carlos Martínez Mystery Hair Bobblehead (June 30)
Adam Wainwright Bobblehead (July 14)
Mark McGwire Bobblehead (September 16)
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #58 on: March 28, 2018, 12:11:14 PM »
Or 0-162 if you're a Braves fan.  I just looked at their 40 man roster.  Out of the 15 pitchers, I honestly couldn't name more than 2 projected starters.  Have no idea who half of them are. The one hot prospect that's supposed to be the #1 prospect in all of baseball, Ronald Acuna, got sent down to Gwinnett. 

Oh, and it doesn't give you much cause for encouragement when 2018 preview show has the GM acknowledging that they're just using this year to see who is MLB material.  Who is going to stick with the club.  Unfortunately, the Braves are in their 3rd year of doing just that.  They did exactly ZERO in trades or the Free Agent market to help this team.  Frick!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #59 on: March 28, 2018, 09:08:38 PM »
Today, we're all 0-0, and all have the potential to go 162-0.

Best of luck tomorrow, boys.

Buzz, here's the Bobblehead promotions for this year.  Which one you coming up for?
Mystery Hall of Fame Opening Day Car Parade Bobblehead (April 7)
Dexter Fowler Bobblehead (April 21)
Chris Carpenter Bobblehead (June 3)
Carlos Martínez Mystery Hair Bobblehead (June 30)
Adam Wainwright Bobblehead (July 14)
Mark McGwire Bobblehead (September 16)
Dex or bust!
On another note, I will be in Fulton County Turner North Atlanta field tomorrow watching the Bravos square off against the Phillies.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions