Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

2017-18 College Basketball Bitchin' and Moanin' Thread

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
2017-18 College Basketball Bitchin' and Moanin' Thread
« on: November 14, 2017, 10:05:31 PM »
So Auburn opens up hanging 100+ on Norfolk State.  Has to mean they improved after getting beat by one guy, Barry.  But, who knows where this program will be in a week?  FBI investigation.  Internal investigation.  Two assistants suspended yesterday.  Will Pearl last another week?  Not looking real skippy right now.  Let's let it play out.

Let me just say, I am absolutely not a fan of the state of college basketball.  The one and done is just choking the life out of it for me.  You guys know I'm the biggest bandwagon Duke fan out there.  They're #1 right now.  They just finished playing, and beating, the #2 team Michigan State.  Classic match up.  UK and Kansas playing now.  Another classic.  I recognized ONE player for either team, Grayson Allen, who stayed for his senior year.  (BTW, he hit 37 tonight)  Well over the half the team are freshmen.  4 of the starters are true freshmen.  I almost don't give a shit because they won't be there next year.

And it's that way with virtually every elite program across the board.  Rent-a-player.  One year.  Bring in a new crop next year.  Who gives a damn?  Yes, I admit that's an incredible array of talent on the floor, but how do you identify with teams and players anymore.  And after watching a roundtable discussion the other day with Coach Kzcyxzvjdxyki, Jim Bay Hime, Roy Williams and others, it's not going to change.  They want even more freedom for these kids to come and go as they please.  College football has a rule.  College baseball has a rule.  What the hell is wrong with college basketball? 

Oh well!  College basketball is back, folks.   
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 01:47:43 PM by Godfather »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

jmar

Re: 2017-18 College Basketball Bitchin' and Moanin' Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 03:01:54 AM »
Give me UNI's Ben Jacobsen and let Pearl go back to Milwaukee selling snowballs and conducting pep rallys.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 11:08:30 PM »
Auburn goes to 2-0 with an 83-64 win over Indiana State.  Copy/pasta on the particulars.  BTW, true freshman, Chuma Okeke, was a HS phenom.  Despite the ongoing suspensions of Wiley and Purifoy, we may have a few kids that can ball.  However, if those two would get cleared to play....wow!  No excuse for anything taking this long to decide whether or not they play this year. 

-- Bryce Brown with 15 points, Desean Murray with 14 points and 12 rebounds, Mustapha Heron and Chuma Okeke each with 11 points and 6 rebounds, Anfernee McLemore with 9 points, Jared Harper with 9 points and 7 assists, Malik Dunbar with 7 points, Horace Spencer with 4 points and 9 rebounds, Davion Mitchell with 3 points
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

jmar

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 08:25:50 AM »
Auburn goes to 2-0 with an 83-64 win over Indiana State.  Copy/pasta on the particulars.  BTW, true freshman, Chuma Okeke, was a HS phenom.  Despite the ongoing suspensions of Wiley and Purifoy, we may have a few kids that can ball.  However, if those two would get cleared to play....wow!  No excuse for anything taking this long to decide whether or not they play this year. 

-- Bryce Brown with 15 points, Desean Murray with 14 points and 12 rebounds, Mustapha Heron and Chuma Okeke each with 11 points and 6 rebounds, Anfernee McLemore with 9 points, Jared Harper with 9 points and 7 assists, Malik Dunbar with 7 points, Horace Spencer with 4 points and 9 rebounds, Davion Mitchell with 3 points
Snaggle is there some sort of struggle happening between Pearl and Leath or it an invention of the media intended to stoke a controversy that simply isn't there?
Is there some bizarre ultimatum in the works as in- either Pearl resigns OR Wiley and Purifoy must go?

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 09:35:08 AM »
Snaggle is there some sort of struggle happening between Pearl and Leath or it an invention of the media intended to stoke a controversy that simply isn't there?
Is there some bizarre ultimatum in the works as in- either Pearl resigns OR Wiley and Purifoy must go?

I think Pearl is not wanting to meet with the Auburn compliance officers or lawyers, because he knows (or actually his lawyers know) that anything said in those meetings can get subpoenaed by federal authorities. So Auburn is making things very difficult for him. They are the ones leaking things to the media, suspending players, and putting coaches on leave. I think they are trying to force Pearl's hand in this whole matter.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2017, 12:43:23 PM »
AU takes the first official loss falls to Temple in Charleston Classic 88-74
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2017, 02:30:38 PM »
AU takes the first official loss falls to Temple in Charleston Classic 88-74

Damn. Barry was right!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2017, 10:17:24 PM »
Good guys go to 3-1 with an 89-78 win over Hofstra.  Winthrop, traditionally solid program, come to teh Planes Friday night.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2017, 08:07:26 AM »
Who is Barry?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2017, 02:45:25 PM »
Winthorpe did not look so good, Billy Ray.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2017, 09:53:50 AM »
Winthorpe did not look so good, Billy Ray.

It was all because of this terrible, awful negro...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2017, 10:13:30 AM »
From JGT:

Two things:

1. The impasse between Pearl (plus his staff by extension) and university administrators has been at least somewhat alleviated. Pearl and Leath have spoken. I feel like the university is not quite satisfied, but it's (reasonably) good for now. I no longer see this as a day-to-day problem. More like week-to-week.

2. Neither Austin Wiley nor Danjel Purifoy made the trip to Dayton. It's not impossible that Wiley could be cleared ahead of this game, but I consider it highly unlikely. I feel like Purifoy's situation is more complicated and prickly, so to speak. I'll be surprised if he plays another game for Auburn. Conversely, I'll be surprised if Wiley isn't back soon.

Have a nice night.

I was surprised at Wiley, wasn't the least surprised at Purifoy. So hopefully, like Auburn does, they are being overly cautious when it comes to Wiley and that he will be on the court soon. I think we can have a good team with Wiley and will only marginally miss Purifoy.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2017, 04:24:21 PM »
From JGT:

I was surprised at Wiley, wasn't the least surprised at Purifoy. So hopefully, like Auburn does, they are being overly cautious when it comes to Wiley and that he will be on the court soon. I think we can have a good team with Wiley and will only marginally miss Purifoy.
Really liked Purifoy's blue collar work inside. Could contribute minutes and defend.
Hope we are able to get Wiley back. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2017, 09:21:04 AM »
If you aren't paying attention AU is now 5-1 and got a big quality win last night over Dayton.

73-60, it may not be a tournament Dayton team of the past but they had a 16 game home win streak that Auburn broke last night.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2017, 09:27:46 AM »
If you aren't paying attention AU is now 5-1 and got a big quality win last night over Dayton.

73-60, it may not be a tournament Dayton team of the past but they had a 16 game home win streak that Auburn broke last night.

Shit...I gotta get back into the mindset of remembering to check for bball games.

A little distracted lately.  You know, with the SECCG GAME ON SATURDAY!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2017, 09:35:11 AM »

I just kind of stumbled upon it last night trying to get a project completed. AU looked pretty good and was getting the calls on Daytons court. They looked good, just saying. It seemed the commentators were somewhat impressed as well. They did bring up the FBI thingy a couple times.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2017, 09:48:14 AM »
I just kind of stumbled upon it last night trying to get a project completed. AU looked pretty good and was getting the calls on Daytons court. They looked good, just saying. It seemed the commentators were somewhat impressed as well. They did bring up the FBI thingy a couple times.

:hammer:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2017, 10:31:04 AM »
McLemore is coming on strong off the bench as is Okeke scoring 12 and 15 points respectively.  McLemore also had 5 blocks and 13 rebounds.  We get that kind of consistent level of play from our bench and this team will be a spoiler.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

chinook

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2017, 10:32:58 AM »
McLemore is coming on strong off the bench as is Okeke scoring 12 and 15 points respectively.  McLemore also had 5 blocks and 13 rebounds.  We get that kind of consistent level of play from our bench and this team will be a spoiler.

You're setting yourself up for disappointment. 

Enjoy the ride though...party on Garth.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2017, 11:20:36 AM »
You're setting yourself up for disappointment. 

Enjoy the ride though...party on Garth.
I have no aspirations so I thus will not be disappointed.  I just said will be a spoiler, I didn't say tourney bound.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum