Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

So...the statute of limitations must have just ended

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
So...the statute of limitations must have just ended
« on: November 06, 2017, 04:04:10 PM »
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/alabama-football/report-terrence-cody-2009-alabama-players-received-money-signing-memorabilia/

Well, we know taking cash for signatures is illegal.  What about taking suits, rims, laptops, etc.?
I'm also sure that the New York Times and ESPN will be all over this, right?  Right?

Report: Terrence Cody, other 2009 Alabama players received money for signing memorabilia
ADAM SPENCER | 2 HOURS AGO

Whether or not you think college football players should be able to make money or not, the current rules prevent athletes from making any money from their status as college athletes.

However, according to a new report from Sports Illustrated, several members of Bama’s 2009 national championship team were paid for their autographs on various pieces of memorabilia.

Star DL Terrence Cody was the biggest name mentioned by Luke Winn’s report, which involved memorabilia dealers Cliff Panezich and Adam Bollinger.

As you can see in the section of the story below (the full report can be found here), Panezich and Bollinger said former Crimson Tide CB Marquis Johnson helped them facilitate the signings:

Panezich and Bollinger arrived in Tuscaloosa during winter break, when the football team wasn’t practicing, so finding players required improvisation. The first member of the Crimson Tide they say they encountered—and asked to sign, outside of a dorm—was cornerback Marquis Johnson. The two collectors had 40-odd white-paneled footballs, each emblazoned with Alabama’s logo, laid out in the rear bed of their SUV, and “[Johnson] signed a few,” Panezich says. “[He] talked about getting paid to do the rest. . . . We paid him up front and . . . he recruited everybody else to come and sign. He’d go into the dorm, grab a couple guys—$20, $30, $40, depending on who the player was—and they’d all come sign 40 team items.”

The report goes on to say a lot of players signed the memorabilia, but not everyone — including QB Greg McElroy — took the money, citing eligibility concerns:

Panezich says Johnson was paid roughly $200, but “not everyone took money. [Defensive tackle] Terrence Cody was probably the biggest. He got paid to sign all the team stuff—and then we heard he was interested in making some more money. So he came out and signed a bunch of mini helmets that he inscribed, like 2X ALL-AMERICAN, or 2 BLOCKED FGS AGAINST TENNESSEE, very specific stuff.” Panezich recalls that they paid Cody around $400 total. (SI obtained cellphone video from Panezich that shows Johnson, fellow cornerback Rod Woodson and tight end Colin Peek autographing items; Panezich says that Peek, as well as running back Ali Sharrief and QB Greg McElroy, signed but declined compensation in order to comply with NCAA rules.

Obviously, as such a prominent figure in this story, Johnson had a response, which his agent issued below:

Cody, through his agent, declined to comment. Says Johnson: “I never got paid. I don’t know [Panezich].” Woodson could not be reached for comment. When asked if the school had knowledge of the signings, an Alabama spokesman said, in part, “As part of our comprehensive compliance and education program, we routinely review all situations of potential concern and address matters such as these with all of our student-athletes.”)

Obviously, this situation happened eight years ago, so it is unclear what, if anything, the NCAA will do about it. However, it’s certainly not a good look for the Crimson Tide, even if it’s silly that players can’t make money from their own autograph.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
Re: So...the statute of limitations must have just ended
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 04:10:41 PM »
Yawn.

SSDD.

Blank C&D issued.

Minor secondary violations reported and self-discipline imposed.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 04:11:28 PM »
 :yawn:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 04:37:43 PM »
Come on peoples!  This is the beginning of the end...I can smell it!  Or maybe that was just teh gordito I had for lunch.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 07:08:12 PM »
I don't think statute of limitations would matter in this situation, because Alabama was still under the NCAA probation stemming from Textbookgate.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 02:49:08 PM by The Prowler »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2017, 07:14:28 PM »
Long drive home today. Looking for something to listen to, I came across finebaum.

He had a guest on there.

“Why is this even a story. It’s a few bucks here and there. Everybody does it. No big deal.”

Move on. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 07:24:16 PM »
Long drive home today. Looking for something to listen to, I came across finebaum.

He had a guest on there.

“Why is this even a story. It’s a few bucks here and there. Everybody does it. No big deal.”

Move on.

That is exactly how this whole thing will be handled.  There's nothing to handle.  It's a non-story, like the dozens of non-stories before it and all that are to come. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2017, 09:50:27 PM »

He had a guest on there.

Move on.

AJ Green would like a word.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2017, 09:58:38 PM »
AJ Green would like a word.

Here's the problem.  It's Bama.  It's hands off.  You will not hear one single word from the NCAA.  Not a letter, phone call, text message, bookface post, instagram or tweety tweet.  I just saw a tumbleweed rolling from the direction of Indianapolis.  It's not a level playing field.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2017, 11:23:08 AM »
Aaaaaaaand...

:crickets:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2017, 12:14:05 PM »
Aaaaaaaand...

:crickets:

See them tumbling down
Pledging their love to the ground!
Lonely, but free, I'll be found
Drifting along with the tumbling tumbleweeds
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions