Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Credit where due

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
Credit where due
« on: January 22, 2018, 10:39:18 AM »
I don't like what Doug Jones stands for.  I oppose his position on numerous social, economic and political issues.  His election was not a significant turning point in Alabama politics, it was merely an overreation to spurious allegations against his challenger.

That said?  I can't fault what he's done so far. 

Jones voted with the Republicans on the spending bill. He was one of five in his party that didn't bow to Schumer's shameful shenanigans. In doing so, he represented the will of the people. 

He now backs a motion to make sure the military gets paid despite the shutdown.  That goes against Mitch McConnell (who can kiss my entire ass anyway).  Again, that represents what the people of this state would (presumably) want. 

I'm sure he'll eventually get whipped into shape by that slimy piece of shit Schumer (I despise that man) and Jones will slink back into the demo pack. But for now, at least, I can't disagree with how he's handled this issue.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

chinook

Re: Credit where due
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 10:41:03 AM »
I don't like what Doug Jones stands for.  I oppose his position on numerous social, economic and political issues.  His election was not a significant turning point in Alabama politics, it was merely an overreation to spurious allegations against his challenger.

That said?  I can't fault what he's done so far. 

Jones voted with the Republicans on the spending bill. He was one of five in his party that didn't bow to Schumer's shameful shenanigans. In doing so, he represented the will of the people. 

He now backs a motion to make sure the military gets paid despite the shutdown.  That goes against Mitch McConnell (who can kiss my entire ass anyway).  Again, that represents what the people of this state would (presumably) want. 

I'm sure he'll eventually get whipped into shape by that slimy piece of shit Schumer (I despise that man) and Jones will slink back into the demo pack. But for now, at least, I can't disagree with how he's handled this issue.

The Trojans had a horse.   

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 10:41:47 AM »
Right now it costs him nothing to look reasonable. If he can fool the people for a little while, he can get re-elected and then he can be who he really is. A dim is a dim is a dim!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 10:41:50 AM »
Wait...what if we built this large wooden badger?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 10:44:18 AM »
Agree with K.

Not afraid to give credit where due.

He also said a probe into trumps possible personal "affairs" or harassment allegations is a complete waste of time. That we had bigger problems.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Token

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 10:57:15 AM »

Doesn't matter.  Doug Jones has only 2 years and he'll spend most of that time working to not appear so liberal to try to get elected again.  He's already came out and said he doesn't think President Trump should be asked to resign over previous sexual harassment claims.  He will get as close to the middle as possible in the next 2 years to try to win his election because he knows Alabama didn't just all of a sudden become blue. 

In reality, IF Doug moves toward the middle for the next two years it will probably be better than anything Roy could do.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2018, 12:37:18 PM »
Good call ^^^

Although I'm not sure it's all contrived for that reason. He did work under Heflin who was pretty centrist.

It's damn near impossible to be a dem senator in the Deep South without being centrist. The min jones steps to the left he will not be a senator. But I guess that's a good thing? He either has to play the moderate fiddle or he will be out of a job. That's a win win to me.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2018, 12:41:42 PM »
Good call ^^^

Although I'm not sure it's all contrived for that reason. He did work under Heflin who was pretty centrist.

It's damn near impossible to be a dem senator in the Deep South without being centrist. The min jones steps to the left he will not be a senator. But I guess that's a good thing? He either has to play the moderate fiddle or he will be out of a job. That's a win win to me.

Ahem...

Jones is a sack of shit who has crazy views in the other direction. He's been chummy with Hillary. He supports every far left position I hate.
He's as vanilla bean, run-of-the-mill Democrat as they come. I get that that's not your cup of tea, and that's fine.

Roy Moore is extremely, outrageously far right, outside of the norm. There is not an equivalence with Doug Jones being equally outside the norm to the left.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2018, 12:44:09 PM »
Ahem...
He's as vanilla bean, run-of-the-mill Democrat as they come. I get that that's not your cup of tea, and that's fine.

Roy Moore is extremely, outrageously far right, outside of the norm. There is not an equivalence with Doug Jones being equally outside the norm to the left.

What he believes and how he governs/votes can be two different things. He has espoused some left views in the past. But he doesn't appear to be voting that way. Awesome. Love being wrong here on this one. Fair enough.

Again - I'm giving him credit where it's due. He's proven me wrong so far. And hope he keeps doing so. This is more than the prowlers of the world can do with an opposing party member.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 12:46:32 PM by GH2001 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2018, 12:46:12 PM »
What he believes and how he governs/votes can be two different things. He has espoused some left views in the past.

Again - I'm giving him credit where it's due. He's proven me wrong so far. And hope he keeps doing so. This is more than the prowlers of the world can do with an opposing party member.

Confuse-us say, "When the scorpion stings the frog, both will die"!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

GH2001

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2018, 12:47:48 PM »
Confuse-us say, "When the scorpion stings the frog, both will die"!

As I said above - in jones' mind, either he votes this way (with trump so far) or he loses a job. I don't see how that's anything but a win.

Not sure if you were in ga in the 90s but Zell was a pretty decent dem. Problem is there are just very few of his kind left.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2018, 01:51:27 PM »
As I said above - in jones' mind, either he votes this way (with trump so far) or he loses a job. I don't see how that's anything but a win.

Not sure if you were in ga in the 90s but Zell was a pretty decent dem. Problem is there are just very few of his kind left.

Zell was still a dim.

I did like and respect him though. He was the last of the politicians who were STATE FIRST!

doug jones is no Zell Miller!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2018, 01:57:47 PM »
Zell was still a dim.

I did like and respect him though. He was the last of the politicians who were STATE FIRST!

doug jones is no Zell Miller!

He just voted to end the schumer filibuster. It may not last but right now he's on my good side. I like anyone who stands against that asshat.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE