Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Mowr Starz and Corchin'

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Mowr Starz and Corchin'
« on: August 01, 2017, 09:55:15 PM »
Just something to chew on, mull over, consider, discuss...or not, while we wait on kick off a month from now.  I posted some on this last year.  I love the preseason mags. Always have.  More than anything else, they give me a whole summer of entertainment whilst perched upon the shitter.  Street & Smith has become my favorite because they cover every team in all conferences and divisions.  Quick heights and weights chart for each.  (Chub-worthy)  But one thing they do that's really telling to me, is they start each conference preview with a breakdown of the 3, 4 and 5 star players signed by each team.

Now, spare me the argument that stars don't always guarantee how a player will do.  I got it.  And I agree when it comes to looking at an individual.  But, if your team signs two 5-star kids and fifteen 4-stars, a few may not pan out but the reality is, you've loaded the wagon with talent. It's now up to the coaches to make it happen.  So check this out.  Street & Smith uses the 247 composite to post the stars.  Here's the first telling stat:

The Non-Power 5 Conferences:

American Athletic Conference
Conference USA
MAC
Mountain West Conference
Sunbelt

Across these 5 conferences, which includes 62 D1 teams, they signed a total of FOUR 4-star players.  Between 62 teams.  I think you might notice just a hint of disparity in talent when you look at the Power 5's.

So here's the breakdown of Power 5 Conferences.  Now keep in mind that even though the ACC, Big 10 and SEC have 14 teams as opposed to the Big 12 and PAC 12 having 10 and 12 respectively, the bottom 2-3 teams don't really factor into it anyway because very few are signing 4 or 5 star kids.  It goes like this:

ACC:  6 total 5-star and 46 4-star

Big 10:  8 total 5-star and 68 4-star

Big 12:  Zero 5-star and 32 4-star

PAC 12:  7 total 5-star and 49 4-star

SEC:  11 total 5-star and 115 4-star

In looking at years past, the 5-star signings for other conferences not named the SEC have picked up a good bit this past year.  The Big 12, with OU and Texas really surprised me with a lack of top rated talent; however, that didn't seem to bother the Sooners when they kicked our asses earlier this year. 

So in looking at this and seeing a marked difference in overall talent between the SEC and the rest of the country, does that suggest anything to you about the overall coaching talent in this league?  Right now, I'd put the ACC well above every conference and certainly the SEC.  Saban wins because he's got a 5-star at every position.  They can overwhelm 90% of the teams they play with sheer talent. But go down the list from there and tell me a Coach in this league that you wish we had more than ours.  Co Yaw Yaw?  McElwain the Shark Fucker?  Smart?  Butch Jones?  Stoops...Muschamp?  Bulemia or Sumlin? 

Think about this.  Outside of Saban, there's only one head coach in this league that's proven he can take a team to the Promised Land to at least fight for it.  Who could that be?  Hmmm?  Yep, Gus Malzahn.  How's that been working out lately?  I would submit that this league is LO-O-O-O-O-ADED with talent.  The numbers don't lie.  But we're sucking hind tit in the coaching department.

Thoughts?   

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Re: Mowr Starz and Corchin'
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 10:13:25 PM »
Let me follow up by saying I think one thing that has hurt this conference is the fact that we simply have not been talent rich with regard to QB's.  Yes, we get the occasional phenom, great talent.  Who is playing a significant role in the NFL?  Cam.  Stafford. Manning.  Wait, now Dak.  I'm probably missing several.  But the QB play in this league has been underwhelming compared to the amount of overall talent.  But I have a sneaky suspicion that's about to all change. 

When you look around the league as a whole, it looks like the QB position is about to explode. Maybe not this year, but certainly by next year.  Hurts at Bama, Stidham at AU (Assuming), Fitzgerald at MSU (Sick numbers last year), Patterson at OM, 6'5" 235 Eason at Georgia, Bentley at USCe, Johnson at UK etc.

I think this league is about to be known for it's QB's as much as anything else.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 11:51:32 PM »
This is a dumb thread.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

jmar

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 06:50:06 AM »
This is a dumb thread.
Oh yeah. Blame the thread.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

ssgaufan

• WDE!!!
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2017, 08:48:04 AM »
I think the B10 has the best coaches of any of the conferences right now.  Urban, Harbaugh, Franklin, Ferentz, Dantonio.  If their talent level catches up with the SEC, they will quickly become the best conference in football.

Also, the unbridled cheating that has been going on in west vance is hurting the conference overall.  Why the hell would a good coach want to come to the SEC and be graded against satan?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2017, 08:52:38 AM »
I think the B10 has the best coaches of any of the conferences right now.  Urban, Harbaugh, Franklin, Ferentz, Dantonio.  If their talent level catches up with the SEC, they will quickly become the best conference in football.

Also, the unbridled cheating that has been going on in west vance is hurting the conference overall.  Why the hell would a good coach want to come to the SEC and be graded against satan?

The part of this overall topic with which I agree is that Saban isn't much of a coach.  He's one hell of a cheater and excels at bringing in top talent, though. 

As the original post noted, that talent level allows his teams to simply club most over the head with the disparity and outlast the rest.  You get some parity in there?  Saban's average at best. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2017, 08:59:47 AM »
The part of this overall topic with which I agree is that Saban isn't much of a coach.  He's one hell of a cheater and excels at bringing in top talent, though. 

As the original post noted, that talent level allows his teams to simply club most over the head with the disparity and outlast the rest.  You get some parity in there?  Saban's average at best.

That's the problem though. There will never be parity while Saban is there. He gets too many good players in. He doesn't have to out scheme you. He beats you into submission and can do it was a bazillion 5 stars.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2017, 02:03:32 PM »

ANNND, he's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

The media refuses to stop sucking his dick as the greatest coach to ever coach. They also refuse to acknowledge or look further into flailing red flags indicating he's cheating (assistant coaches getting caught "loaning" money to players, Sticks N Stuff, etc.).

It's a deadly one-two punch combination that results on him actually being a "great" coach, because A) they constantly say he's a God-tier coach, even before he really deserved it, and recruits buy into that, and B) He "does things the right way" because they refuse to believe he doesn't.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2017, 02:13:00 PM »
It's a deadly one-two punch combination that results on him actually being a "great" coach, because A) they constantly say he's a God-tier coach, even before he really deserved it, and recruits buy into that, and B) He "does things the right way" because they refuse to believe he doesn't.

^^^This^^^Right here^^^
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2017, 02:45:41 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2017, 02:57:31 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2017, 03:11:24 PM »
Right up there^^^>>>^^^

<<<<there over looking was I
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2017, 03:26:46 PM »
So corching-wise, ssg listed Urban, Hardball, Franklin, Ferentz and Dantonio for the Big 10.  Would you give the Big 10 the nod or would a line up of Dabo, Jimbo, Petrino, Richt and Cutcliffe be better?  The ACC also has Larry Fedora and Justin Fuente, who looks like he has VT on the rise.  Tough call.

Who would you put top 5 in the SEC?  I'll be honest, I can't really go down the list and find reason to put one over the other.  Coach Shark Fucker has to be up there for winning 2 East titles.  After that?  I'm fully prepared to get hammered for this statement, but I actually think Dan Mullen is one of the better HC's in this conference.  Now again, that's not saying much because I don't think much of the coaching in the SEC anyway. But he's done as well at MSU as I think anyone could do.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2017, 04:17:31 PM »
So corching-wise, ssg listed Urban, Hardball, Franklin, Ferentz and Dantonio for the Big 10.  Would you give the Big 10 the nod or would a line up of Dabo, Jimbo, Petrino, Richt and Cutcliffe be better?  The ACC also has Larry Fedora and Justin Fuente, who looks like he has VT on the rise.  Tough call.

Who would you put top 5 in the SEC?  I'll be honest, I can't really go down the list and find reason to put one over the other.  Coach Shark Fucker has to be up there for winning 2 East titles.  After that?  I'm fully prepared to get hammered for this statement, but I actually think Dan Mullen is one of the better HC's in this conference.  Now again, that's not saying much because I don't think much of the coaching in the SEC anyway. But he's done as well at MSU as I think anyone could do.
Dan Mullen can go fuck a goat.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2017, 05:06:02 PM »
Dan Mullen can go fuck a goat.

Greatest of All Time at what?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2017, 05:30:09 PM »

Dabo can eat a dick.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.