Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Five things

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
Five things
« on: July 29, 2017, 05:10:43 PM »
I'm having trouble again. My motivation for this season just isn't there. I feel like I'm in one of those relationship lulls where I still love her but it would be okay if I didn't see her as much. 

Maybe I just need some hope that tomorrow will be different than yesterday.  With that in mind here are five things I want to see this year. 

1) No quarterback shuffle.  Pick one and ride it.  Pick one early. Don't waffle around. 
2) Less second and 11.  Everybody in the stadium knows play #1. Read option to the right side.  One yard loss.  Mix it up when it's not working.
3) Adjustments. Terry Bowden, for all his faults, was a master at coming up with a better plan for the second half if the first didn't go well. We currently seem to have only one plan.  If it isn't hitting we either keep hitting our head against the same wall or we panic and go full retard.
4) Better passing design.  I've seen plays where we needed eight yards and only had one receiver in a route. I want crossing routes, posts, curls, digs, slants, screens.  Give me the whole tree.
5) Short yardage answers. Third and two or less should be nearly automatic. First and goal cannot be a cavalcade of field goals. Quit freezing up.

That would satisfy me.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
Re: Five things
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2017, 07:01:01 PM »
I'm having trouble again. My motivation for this season just isn't there. I feel like I'm in one of those relationship lulls where I still love her but it would be okay if I didn't see her as much. 

Maybe I just need some hope that tomorrow will be different than yesterday.  With that in mind here are five things I want to see this year. 

1) No quarterback shuffle.  Pick one and ride it.  Pick one early. Don't waffle around. 
2) Less second and 11.  Everybody in the stadium knows play #1. Read option to the right side.  One yard loss.  Mix it up when it's not working.
3) Adjustments. Terry Bowden, for all his faults, was a master at coming up with a better plan for the second half if the first didn't go well. We currently seem to have only one plan.  If it isn't hitting we either keep hitting our head against the same wall or we panic and go full retard.
4) Better passing design.  I've seen plays where we needed eight yards and only had one receiver in a route. I want crossing routes, posts, curls, digs, slants, screens.  Give me the whole tree.
5) Short yardage answers. Third and two or less should be nearly automatic. First and goal cannot be a cavalcade of field goals. Quit freezing up.
6) Get a hummer from Chizzy.

That would satisfy me.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2017, 10:36:13 PM »

That would satisfy me.

Agree with almost all of this and would add the glaringly obvious point that we need to avoid having Hawkeye, Hot Lips and Radar setting up shop on the sidelines.  The injury situation was a significant contributor to last season's outcome. 

Do not agree with the apathy, however.  I'm expecting this to be a fun year and there's enough uncertainty in the West to open the door for a shot at Bama for the divisional title.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 10:40:57 PM by wesfau2 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2017, 07:04:07 AM »
Number D is where I'm really hoping Lindsey really brings some changes to the table.  Last year, I had 2 HS coaches tell me if AU got down a few scores and had to start flinging it around, they'd be lucky to get a couple of first downs because Malzahn's passing schemes were Junior High at best.  Works fine if the run game is on and defenses have to respect that first.  If not, then Pfffffffffttt....

To echo Wes' comment, stay relatively injury free and I think we're pretty darn skippy. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 09:48:37 PM »

D) Hoping Lindsey really brings some changes to the table and we stay relatively injury free
7) Put more points on the board than the opposition in every game.

That would satisfy me.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 09:50:27 PM by The Prowler »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017, 12:10:21 AM »
Well.... we're fucked already. 

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/20213624/auburn-tigers-coach-gus-malzahn-says-qb-competition-good-thing

AUBURN, Ala. -- Auburn coach Gus Malzahn boils his latest quarterback battle down to one determining factor: Who gives the Tigers the best chance to win?

While former Baylor starter Jarrett Stidham seems like the front-runner, Malzahn hasn't counted out incumbent Sean White. Either way, the Tigers are banking on improved quarterback play after dropping 16 games over the last three seasons.

"It's a good competition and there's nothing better than competition," Malzahn said after Monday's first practice of fall camp. "It just brings out the best in everybody. That's a really good thing right now, I think."

:facepalm:

Does he have to say this same shit every year? 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

jmar

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2017, 04:09:59 AM »
As long as there is no competition for play calling we should be able to win.
You heard it here first.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2017, 08:33:29 AM »
Well.... we're fudgeed already. 

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/20213624/auburn-tigers-coach-gus-malzahn-says-qb-competition-good-thing

AUBURN, Ala. -- Auburn coach Gus Malzahn boils his latest quarterback battle down to one determining factor: Who gives the Tigers the best chance to win?

While former Baylor starter Jarrett Stidham seems like the front-runner, Malzahn hasn't counted out incumbent Sean White. Either way, the Tigers are banking on improved quarterback play after dropping 16 games over the last three seasons.

"It's a good competition and there's nothing better than competition," Malzahn said after Monday's first practice of fall camp. "It just brings out the best in everybody. That's a really good thing right now, I think."

Does he have to say this same shoot every year?
He said it when Cam was here, so I'd say the answer is yes.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2017, 08:35:53 AM »

D) Hoping Lindsey really brings some changes to the table and we stay relatively injury free
7) Put more points on the board than the opposition in every game.
a.3.1) Go back to that play where the 5'2" Slot Receiver hides behind the line and takes a quick snap.

That would satisfy me.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

bgreene

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2017, 08:57:22 AM »
There is no way in this world that SW is better than JS.  I like SW, good kid tough and has a lot of heart but let's be serious here.  You don't land a player lie JS and make as big a deal as the coaching staff has made about landing him just to let him send in plays or hold a clip board.  I hope Gus has sense enough to let this "battle" ride out for no longer than two or three weeks before he names JS starter so he can get as many reps with the 1st team as possible.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Men are made stronger on the realization that the helping hand they need is at the end of their own arm."

-Sidney Phillips

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2017, 09:50:29 AM »
There is no way in this world that SW is better than JS.  I like SW, good kid tough and has a lot of heart but let's be serious here.  You don't land a player lie JS and make as big a deal as the coaching staff has made about landing him just to let him send in plays or hold a clip board.  I hope Gus has sense enough to let this "battle" ride out for no longer than two or three weeks before he names JS starter so he can get as many reps with the 1st team as possible.
That Coker kid gonna destroy Blake Sims, we going to the Ship.  #heisman
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2017, 09:54:53 AM »
It's really too close to call between Cam and Neil Caudle.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2017, 10:04:20 AM »
It's really too close to call between Cam and Neil Caudle.

I liked Neil. He wasn't bad.

He just wasn't CAM. And to his credit, he saw it. It's hard to accept when someone is better than you when you think its your turn up. Didn't he hold the winning FG?

Ans lets not get ahead of yosef on Stidham. He may be the shit. But until he gets his ass handed to him by an SEC defense and bounces back up, I will be cautiously optimistic. I was at the A-Day game and he looked good. But he also had a LOT of time to throw the ball. I think in this offense, SW might have looked good also.
Either way, we got two damn fine QBs. I'm hoping either one does great and stays healthy all season long.
But don't count that White boy out just yet.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2017, 10:07:16 AM »
Ans lets not get ahead of yosef on Stidham. He may be the shit. But until he gets his ass handed to him by an SEC defense and bounces back up, I will be cautiously optimistic. I was at the A-Day game and he looked good. But he also had a LOT of time to throw the ball. I think in this offense, SW might have looked good also.

Either way, we got two damn fine QBs. I'm hoping either one does great and stays healthy all season long.

Dis roght hare
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2017, 10:11:06 AM »
Well.... we're fucked already. 

Does he have to say this same shit every year?
Coachspeak.

Trying to keep JS hungry and working.

Feeding media and fans some useless info.

All of the above.

Don't read too much into it dude.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2017, 10:13:56 AM »

Look Stidham may be the second coming of Jesus, but I don't trust Gus, I have been lead down that rabbit hole before.  Only to find out the rabbit done butt fucked me and stole all my lunch money.  (I was more upset he never called). 

I know that Sean White can win ballgames in the SEC.  I am pretty positive that Stidham will as well, but until I see a couple of games under his belt.  Like CCTAU said I will refrain from calling him a Heisman Trophy winner, sufficed to WE!!! splooging all over him.

I will also happily eat a bunch of crow if he ends up in New York the second weekend of December.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2017, 10:14:12 AM »
I bet its fun to watch. The WRs are probably running around like they are in the shower with a couple of you guys.

We know they can hand off to Pettway. So I am sure practice right now is nothing but an air show.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2017, 10:34:15 AM »
I liked Neil. He wasn't bad.

He just wasn't CAM. And to his credit, he saw it. It's hard to accept when someone is better than you when you think its your turn up. Didn't he hold the winning FG?

Ans lets not get ahead of yosef on Stidham. He may be the shoot. But until he gets his ass handed to him by an SEC defense and bounces back up, I will be cautiously optimistic. I was at the A-Day game and he looked good. But he also had a LOT of time to throw the ball. I think in this offense, SW might have looked good also.
Why is it always about race with you?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2017, 10:49:43 AM »
I've said several times that if you could assure me that White would be healthy for the entire season, I'd be pretty pumped about this season.  I quit reading anything into Spring games a long time ago, especially when it comes to the QB.  If you're half way competent, you can stand there and make most of the throws without any pressure on you.  The one thing I took from watching Stidham is that he absolutely throws the purdiest passes I've ever seen at AU.  Quick release, accurate, and great touch on every throw.  But who knows what that will look like when Arden Key is bringing his 6'6" ass off the corner with bad intentions in Baton Rude?

The good thing is we at least have a body of work to look at with both these guys.  When Sean is healthy, we good. When Stidham got his shot at Baylor, he good.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2017, 11:15:09 AM »
The reason I have a lot of hope for a good season is...

No matter who is in at QB, they will be able to hand it off a lot to the Mack Truck we all know as Kamryn Pettway.  The key will be throwing enough PA passes and deep shots to keep the defenses honest.  Passing yards will be gravy.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions