Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

American Gods

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
American Gods
« on: May 08, 2017, 09:19:07 AM »
I know next to zilch about the book(s?), but watched the premiere based on the buzz.  If you like a dose of weird with your art, you'll love it.

The story, as I understand it, is that the old gods (primarily Norse) are gathering demi-gods amongst the men in preparation for some celestial battle.

Ian McShane (Al Swearengen, cocksucker!) leads the cast as Odin.  We've met some minor gods (including an interesting sex scene with the Queen of Sheba) and not much is happening but there's enough going on to keep my interest.

It's a bit like Twin Peaks in its trippy visuals (flame-eyed buffalo anyone?) and the supernatural elements aren't going to be everyone's cup o tea, but give it a shot.  I think it's on Starz.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

wesfau2

Re: American Gods
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 09:29:18 AM »
Solid episode 2, with the plot becoming a little clearer.

This show requires, unless you've read the book, a little side reading to make everything clearer.  I read a bit after Ep 1 to get my bearings, but I won't cheat further.  I now have a better understanding of the temporal leaps and the surrealistic elements.

Questions from ep 2:

Which god/demigod is the crab on the slave ship? 

Related: will we get more of Orlando Jones?  Cuz he was awesome.

Also related: why burn the ship?  Why not just mutiny and turn the motherfucker around?

Will we meet the oldest Russian sister?  I assume she'll intervene so that Shadow doesn't get the hammer bash.

Will Shadow be tempted by Bilquis and tangle with that otherworldly, cannibalistic kitty of hers?

Who was the guy in the diner with whom Wednesday met?

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 09:18:50 AM »
So...lots of dong in this show generally (relative to the rest of the shows I watch anyway), but the Jinn was really swinging one. 

I'm guessing that he gave up his essence and was relieved of his "imprisonment" in the new world?  The Jinn seemed really miserable, but the failed salesman was ecstatic to assume the mantle...not really sure if that was because he hated sales THAT much after 1 week or if he was still riding the supernatural post-coital wave.

Breaking my promise, I read up on this scene.  We've seen the Jinn before.  He was:

Who was the guy in the diner with whom Wednesday met?

This guy.  So we know he's still in play.

Will we meet the oldest Russian sister?  I assume she'll intervene so that Shadow doesn't get the hammer bash.

Yes and yes.

I didn't really get the point of the Anubis scene, unless it was just to introduce another god to the playing field.  The woman observed her Islamic faith her entire life, but because she heard some Egyptian fables back in the day she gets judged by Anubis rather than Allah?  At first I thought the point was that our modern-ish religions were meaningless and that the old gods are the real forces of power in the celestial world.

Wednesday's comments about Jesus (well, about ALL the Jesuses) later in the episode, however, make it clear that those deities are still around and a part of the discussion.  In fact, if enough people believe in one, apparently the god is born/survives.  Wednesday says that his only fear is being forgotten...and he's not being glib.  If no one remembers him (or any of the gods) he will cease to exist. 
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 09:46:39 AM by wesfau2 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 09:32:06 AM »
A couple of Laura-centric episodes later and we're starting to get a fuller picture of her, rather than the cuckolding, road-head giver.

Sweeney will try to wait her out, but surely she can find some little magic to stop the flesh from sloughing off her bones.

Mr. World has finally appeared.  Glover walks a nice line between mania and reserved dignity, but I tend to side with the digital fucker: if you've got him, you don't let him go.  World's claim that Wednesday is to be respected and admired rang just a bit hollow, so I'm curious to see what that ploy was about.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2017, 04:24:16 PM »
So...lots of dong in this show generally (relative to the rest of the shows I watch anyway)

You know you love the cock
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 11:15:10 PM »
With the old gods you have...
Odin - Norse
Leprechaun - Irish
Funeral Home Gods (Thoth & Annubis) - Egyptian
Czernobog (and the 3 sisters) - Slavic
Anansi (Orlando Jones) - West African
Ostara - Norse
Vulcan - Roman
Queen Sheba - Abrahamic

New gods...
Technical God - Computers & Cellphones
Media God - TV
Black hat God - Black helicopters, men in black, conspiracy theorists
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs