Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Health Care

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
Re: Health Care
« Reply #300 on: March 17, 2017, 09:30:54 AM »

But it is still a choice. Which doctor, or which drug.

I'm not suggesting that today's system is terrible, per se.  Only that it can be improved.  And that "choice" under this system is limited in most cases, illusory in the rest.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #301 on: March 17, 2017, 09:32:33 AM »
Or de-regulation.

Bing-FUCKING-o. 

You're not going to get better and more affordable care by inviting more government involvement. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #302 on: March 17, 2017, 09:39:59 AM »
Did he, though?

Or did he steer me toward a drug whose manufacturer will send him to Hawaii in December?

I don't know.

Slow that roll boss, for a change I actually have something somewhat informed to add here.

The skirt is a medical liaison in the oncology division for one of the largest pharms in the world and I cannot begin to explain to you how little the greasing of palms happens on that end.  There are MASSIVE amounts of regulations that preclude it from happening that dole out not only harsh consequences for the company but also to the medical provider any type of shenanigans like that.

I certainly am not saying that it doesn't happen cause there are always ways to slip a dinner in here and there but by and large it does not because the consequences are way too steep on both sides. 

What I do see happen is that different doctors subscribe to different treatment profiles.  Some subscribe to the drugs, some subscribe to the chemo and radiation, some subscribe to cell therapy, some subscribe to a combination.  It is no different than how people in your own profession will handle a lawsuit.  Some are settle a suit cuase your sleepless nights are their sleepless nights, some are gonna go all in till the end, and some are gonna be somewhere in the middle.  None of them are necessarily more right or wrong than the other as long as it is what your client is trying to accomplish and what your advice because of experience tell you. 

One of the big problems with cancer treatments as you are well aware of is that there is no magic bullet for it at this point.  Depending on where it is, when it is caught, and who has it are all variables that make treatment educated guesses at best.  Add to this that most of the cancers mutate over time and you have a disease that is infinitely harder to treat much less cure. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #303 on: March 17, 2017, 09:41:27 AM »
There are MASSIVE amounts of regulations that preclude it from happening that dole out not only harsh consequences for the company but also to the medical provider any type of shenanigans like that.

Excellent.

What I do see happen is that different doctors subscribe to different treatment profiles.  Some subscribe to the drugs, some subscribe to the chemo and radiation, some subscribe to cell therapy, some subscribe to a combination.  It is no different than how people in your own profession will handle a lawsuit.  Some are settle a suit cuase your sleepless nights are their sleepless nights, some are gonna go all in till the end, and some are gonna be somewhere in the middle.  None of them are necessarily more right or wrong than the other as long as it is what your client is trying to accomplish and what your advice because of experience tell you. 

One of the big problems with cancer treatments as you are well aware of is that there is no magic bullet for it at this point.  Depending on where it is, when it is caught, and who has it are all variables that make treatment educated guesses at best.  Add to this that most of the cancers mutate over time and you have a disease that is infinitely harder to treat much less cure.

Agree with all of this.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #304 on: March 17, 2017, 09:42:26 AM »
REGULATIONS!!!
You mistake me. I said earlier that while I tend to favor the "free market" side of the spectrum to the "regulation" side of the spectrum, first of all I'm the one saying we do and should operate in shades of gray, and more specifically I said that these types of issues with the pharmaceutical companies is where I'd start.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #305 on: March 17, 2017, 10:21:33 AM »
You mistake me. I said earlier that while I tend to favor the "free market" side of the spectrum to the "regulation" side of the spectrum, first of all I'm the one saying we do and should operate in shades of gray, and more specifically I said that these types of issues with the pharmaceutical companies is where I'd start.

Which is fine to a point.   

Note also that this is an entirely different discussion than the whole "free health car for all" dead carcass.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #306 on: March 17, 2017, 12:15:21 PM »
Or de-regulation.

And this is no "Trump Worship" point by any means, but isn't one of his staple issues to get drug prices DOWN? Via negotiation? Meaning all drugs and treatment used on people.

We apparently have some horrible deals in place and the way they are bidded on, and just LEFT to remain in place. Right now in that climate everyone BUT the consumer is benefitting so nothing has changed.

He's right in that these kinds of drugs whether it be a head drug or a heart drug or a cancer drug - are much cheaper in other places. The same drugs from the same companies. Sorry but thats gotta stop. That would be a HUGE first step in the right direction.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

GH2001

« Reply #307 on: March 17, 2017, 12:17:13 PM »
No...I "shopped" for the one the doc told me would work.

Information asymmetry.

And thats a "Big Pharma - Doctor - FDA" triangle that needs to be unwoven as well. Too much cahoots.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

GH2001

« Reply #308 on: March 17, 2017, 12:20:08 PM »
Which is fine to a point.   

Note also that this is an entirely different discussion than the whole "free health car for all" dead carcass.

Thats the macro solution to a LOT of micro problems....the one chad pointed out being one of them. You fix a lot of these things, and a solution of single payer may not be talked about as much. Right now, people are desperate. Single Payer just throws more money at a system that has flaws and needs an organic fix at the root level. We fix those things, there isn't as much incentive to demand that free care via single payer.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #309 on: March 17, 2017, 01:55:04 PM »
Federally terminate.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/17/us/meals-on-wheels-donations-compassionate/
Meals on Wheels' donations, volunteer sign-ups soar after Trump eyes cuts

I can't think of a much better argument for privatisation and the power of the free market than Meals on Wheels making exponentially more in private donations and overhead than the 3% they MIGHT lose from the government.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #310 on: March 17, 2017, 02:03:19 PM »
I can't think of a much better argument for privatisation and the power of the free market than Meals on Wheels making exponentially more in private donations and overhead than the 3% they MIGHT lose from the government.

So the federal govt involvement in it is now gone. But the program will somehow live on. And not only survive but apparently grow and thrive. A Win for the taxpayers and limited govt everywhere on this one. I don't see one loser in that end game.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #311 on: March 17, 2017, 02:27:00 PM »

Drop a mic.  Or serve an ass platter.  Cmon.  You deserve it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #312 on: March 17, 2017, 02:49:53 PM »
So the federal govt involvement in it is now gone. But the program will somehow live on. And not only survive but apparently grow and thrive. A Win for the taxpayers and limited govt everywhere on this one. I don't see one loser in that end game.
But. But. But, how can I feel good about my tax money if it's not helping po people!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.