Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Patriotism on life support.

Token

Patriotism on life support.
« on: March 16, 2017, 08:57:47 PM »
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.yahoo.com/amphtml/style/high-school-basketball-players-apologize-to-opponents-for-wearing-red-white-and-blue-202222669.html

A group of students from Iowa are now apologizing after wearing red, white, and blue outfits to a high school basketball game. For U.S.A. theme night at Valley High School, in West Des Moines, Iowa, many teenagers in the stands wore patriotic outfits. However, because some members of the opposing team, Des Moines North State, come from refugee families, the color scheme was found to be offensive.

“Everything just blows up after the game, and I’m still hearing about it this morning,” said Morgan Wheat, an assistant coach at Des Moines North, of the hubbub, according to WhoTV.com.

The Valley High students, who decided to ditch their school colors of black and orange in favor of the patriotic hues, insisted they weren’t making a political statement of any kind with their surprise attire. But offended parties took to social media to air their grievances. “Kids are kids, I get it, but I do have questions. I want to know why,” wrote one person. “Any normal person, any educated person can look at that and think what the hell are these kids thinking,” Wheat added, presumably because of President Trump’s recent closing of the nation’s borders to refugees and citizens of seven Muslim countries.

In a display of good sportsmanship and an offering of peace, Valley High students were quick to issue a heartfelt statement to their rivals, in hopes of clearing up any misunderstandings and defusing negativity and anger.

On Thursday, Valley High School’s student leaders hand-delivered the following letter to Des Moines North, according to Fox News Insider.

To the Students and Staff of North High School:

It has been brought to our attention that the decision by the Valley High School student section to wear U.S.A. apparel at our game last night was offensive to members of your community and fan base. We are deeply sorry if we have offended anyone in any way. We have traditionally dressed in such a fashion for great games such as the one last night. Everyone here at Valley has immense respect not only for your team and players but for your community as a whole. Please know that our intent was in no way to offend or demean—just to support our own team in a way we have done before.

Congratulations on a wonderful season and we wish you nothing but the best of luck in the future.

Sincerely,

Valley High School Student Council Leadership

The note was well received, especially by the coach of the Des Moines North State team, who conceded that it should not be assumed that the students intended any ill will. In response, he said, “I don’t want to judge those young people, not knowing their motives,” Ryan said. “What I will say is we’re proud of our diversity at North High School — not only on our basketball team, but our population,” the Des Moines Register reports.

Ryan added that he’s proud of his school’s diversity. “It’s been good for us, as a school,” Ryan said to the publication. “They learn from each other about people with different cultures and backgrounds — and we try to use it as an educational piece.”

That said, he was so into the game that he claims he didn’t even notice the change in uniform colors, never mind feel bothered by it. “They played hard,” added Wheat, who graciously extended a “hats off” to Valley High, the winning team.

Similar incidents have happened at other schools this year. Students at a high school in Tulsa, Okla., were banned from bringing American flags and banners to a football game on “U.S.A Night,” and a high school in South Carolina prohibited American flags at a football game to minimize the taunting of Hispanic students.

Despite the apology, there is reason to believe that the Valley High/North High game was racially charged. The Des Moines Register reported last fall that Iowa State University released an audit describing a culture of “deep racial disparities” at Valley High School. These disparities created “an inequitable, toxic environment for students of color,” said the Register‘s account.

Furthermore, some social media users claimed that Valley students uttered racial slurs to North students. Valley High’s principal refused to comment on those accusations.

We have lost our fucking minds.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 09:01:26 PM by Token »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Re: Patriotism on life support.
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 09:22:49 PM »
Good fucking lord. This country is fucked. So, so fucked. Can we just go ahead and start the Second Civil War now and get it over with?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 09:55:21 PM »
Good fucking lord. This country is fucked. So, so fucked. Can we just go ahead and start the Second Civil War now and get it over with?

Yes please. 

I just saw a video where some thing declared it was neither a girl nor a boy.  It was just whatever it woke up that morning and decided to be.  It said "gender is a choice."

When the war starts I want to shoot that first.  Then I want to pull off its drawers and see what it is. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 10:23:32 PM »
What the flaming fuck does diversity have to do with any of this?  This is America.  Those are our colors.  That should NEVER, EVER be deemed offensive to anyone in any way.  If you are here, it's because you want to be a part of this nation and the opportunities it provides.  You wanted to come here so why the hell should red, white and blue be offensive to you? 

How dare those snowflake fucks!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Token

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 10:38:18 PM »
What the flaming fuck does diversity have to do with any of this?  This is America.  Those are our colors.  That should NEVER, EVER be deemed offensive to anyone in any way.  If you are here, it's because you want to be a part of this nation and the opportunities it provides.  You wanted to come here so why the hell should red, white and blue be offensive to you? 

I fully expect to hear that we'll no longer be allowed to chant USA at the Olympics games either.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2017, 08:31:12 AM »
Yes please. 

I just saw a video where some thing declared it was neither a girl nor a boy.  It was just whatever it woke up that morning and decided to be.  It said "gender is a choice."

When the war starts I want to shoot that first.  Then I want to pull off its drawers and see what it is.

Fucking hell.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2017, 09:15:23 AM »
I don't blame these kids. I blame their parents...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2017, 09:35:51 AM »
Fucking hell.

If you don't know what it is, fucking it would be hell. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2017, 01:06:27 PM »

Again ASSIMILATION PROBLEM certain fuzzy foreigners (not all) want to come here and make this like their home.  If you want home go back and fight for it, don't come here and try to change things.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2017, 01:07:19 PM »

I also agree that an old old wooden ship makes no sense in this argument.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2017, 01:12:09 PM »
I do get part of this at least.  I find the color red offensive.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2017, 01:13:01 PM »
I do get part of this at least.  I find the color red offensive.

Glad you don't have your diploma hanging in your office.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2017, 01:16:14 PM »
Glad you don't have your diploma hanging in your office.
Green and Gold, baby!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2017, 02:32:14 PM »
Green and Gold, baby!

I think he meant from all the blood your vagina spilled onto it over the years.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2017, 02:56:43 PM »
I don't blame these kids. I blame their parents...
Did you even know Wes' parents? What about Chizzy's?

Didn't think so.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com