Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

2017 Installment of MLB Bitchin' & Moanin'.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Re: 2017 Installment of MLB Bitchin' & Moanin'.
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2017, 05:05:43 PM »
You really should put some memes in hashtags in there to show us how you really feel.

#waittilnextye....ohwait
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2017, 10:53:14 PM »
Checking out the probable Cubbies roster for 2017.  Could change.  Need some input from Buzz here to fill in the blanks.  My initial thoughts are that if they stay relatively injury free, they should be playing in October again. 

Pitching may be getting a little long in the tooth with John Lackey and John Lester, both 84 years old.  Seems like it anyway.  But they're both still dealing and with Kyle Kendrick and Jake Arrieta, the first 4 will be formidable.  BTW, have any of you checked out Major League rosters lately?  The dang pitchers are huge.  Across the board.  Take the Cubs for instance.  You've watched "crafty" left and right handers, Lester and Lackey, right?  Those two guys are 6'4" 240 and 6'6" 235 respectively.  Any of you play high school or above baseball?  Have you ever stepped in against a guy 6'4" 240 with nasty stuff?

I need Buzzer help here.  I recognized no one from the bullpen.  Input?

Catchers.  May be a problem.  Contrares and Montero don't have killer numbers but with most teams, if the catcher can call a good game, play good defense and handle the pitchers, an average hitter will do.  Buzz?

Infield.  Injury free and it's freakin' stacked.  Huge power on the corners with Bryant and Rizzo with Addison Russell picking everything up the middle.  I saw Ben Zobrist on the roster.  Solid!  Not sure who 2nd base is.

Outfield.  Another big question for me because I'm not that familiar with all the names.  Jason Heyward is Gold Glove every year but damn, he sucks at the plate.  I have no clue what kind of outfielder Kyle Schwarber is but he's a beast at the plate. Missed most of last year but killed it in the series. 

Calling all Buzzers for input.  That's just me checking the roster with my limited fanboy knowledge.  Need some expert, homer 411. 

I want to check Jarhead's Cardinals next. (Best franchise in professional sports IMO)  Then my American League Bandwagon team, the Red Sachs.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2017, 09:01:22 AM »
Cubbies' starting pitching should be solid, even though a couple of these guys are already getting their AARP benefits.  The bullpen was kind of the weak link last season and may be again this season, although they made about twentylevenhundred moves to try and shore it up.  Losing Chapman didn't help, but they traded for Wade Davis who seems to be a pretty solid closer.  They will still have the wildcards in the pen with Strop and Rondon.  Carl Edwards, Jr. has some really good stuff, but he was young and inconsistent in 2016.  Hopefully some of the new guys (Never heard of most these guys) will be able to plug in well.

The infield will be, well, solid.  Rizzo, Baez, Russell and Bryant are all young, athletic and can hit a ton.  Barring injuries, that's the best infield in the majors.

The outfield is a question mark.  Losing Dexter Fowler to the cheaters will really hurt offensively and defensively this year.  Heyward will be spectacular again defensively.  He's been working all offseason on changing his swing, so who knows if he hits this year or not.  He bring Jobu rum and cigars.  Jobu will come.  Schwarber will be shaky at best in left, but will catch a little too.  He may end up the leadoff hitter, which may prove to be interesting.  Almora Jr. is the first option in center.  He has a very solid glove, but an Olive Oyl bat. 

Contreras is going to be very good behind the plate and he can hit well already.  Montero is a great catcher, but he's never going to see north of Mendoza.  Throw in Schwarber to spell them both and you have a solid half of the battery imo.

I don't expect to see them run roughshod through the NL Central like last season, but if the pitching holds up, they should be in contention all season.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2017, 09:35:04 AM »
Good stuff. 

Interesting how good an athlete Carl Edwards is. Steps out of a race car and right into the Major Leagues.

:civic:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2017, 09:43:21 AM »
I expect the Cubs to win the Central, but I am not sure they will win running away like they did last year.

For the Redbirds, I really like what Fowler has brought to the dugout, they seem so much more happy this year.  It all comes down to pitching, though, and two guys from last year that either weren't playing (Lynn, 0-1, 2.00 ERA) or were having a shitty year (Wacha, 2-   0, 1.38 ERA) both seem to have figured something out in spring training.  I expect this to be the year that Waino (1-0, 3.00 ERA) passes the torch to Martinez (1-0, 0.00 era) as the staff ace.  Granted, these are all spring training stats, but something to build on.  As for the #5 starter, Reyes was poised to come in as a rookie, but he's having Tommy John surgery, so Mike Leake (2-1, 4.20 ERA).  Bullpen should be..  fine?  Maybe?..  Looks like Oh is moving to the closer role, Rosenthal is having a decent spring, and Siegrest and Broxton are just ok.

Molina still at C (and Cards now have his heir as his backup, Carson Kelly), and Wong at 2B, but Cards are moving a healthy Peralta to 3B, so Second year player Diaz can stay at SS, and moving Carpenter to 1B. Fat Matt Adams has slimmed down, losing 30 pounds, but will now come in off the bench.  Outfield, should be Grichuk, Fowler, and Piscotty. 

Questions I have..  How much longer can Molina play?  This is his last year under contract with both sides having an option for 2018 (and Buzz smiles). Granted, I'm biased, but in my mind, he's the best catcher in the game.  That throw to Biaz in the WBC was sick.  And he's 34 years old, an age when most all-star catchers are moved to First Base.  Granted, he's not on the roster for his bat, but last year was the first time in a 8 years he didn't win the Gold Glove (although he was the league leader in fielding percentage, passed balls, and putouts).  I'd hate for him to have a down year, and the Cards chose not to extend his contract.  Although I'm not sure what his market value would be.  After Pujols bolting, I'm not sure the fans could handle the other well established lifetime Cardinal bolting (they are dying to put up a new statue around the stadium, and had Pujols not left, it would have been him, and he could have run for mayor and governor).

Again, I like what Fowler has brought to the team.  Players seem happier, they seem like they are having more fun.

My expectations are that we will contend for one of the WC slots vs the loser of the Giants/Dodgers, along with the Mets (assuming the Nats will win the east).  From the central, thinking the Pirates may be good as well.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2017, 10:16:36 AM »
Buzz, Snags,

The weekend Auburn plays at Mizzou (9/23), the Cards are out of town.  However, on Monday, 9/25, they do host the Cubbies.  Might be fun to take a few days off work...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2017, 10:35:22 AM »
Buzz, Snags,

The weekend Auburn plays at Mizzou (9/23), the Cards are out of town.  However, on Monday, 9/25, they do host the Cubbies.  Might be fun to take a few days off work...

I like the way you think.  Also far enough out to clear the calendar and make the arrangements.

I'm taking this under advisement and will meet with the planning committee for possible approval.  (Translation: Begging Snagette for a kitchen pass and permission to take my nuttz with me)
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2017, 11:05:25 AM »
Buzz, Snags,

There's still time to make plans and tell the skirt I'm going beg for a kitchen pass.  That sounds very doable.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2017, 04:42:52 PM »
Jar, is Jose Oquendo still doing any coaching?  Didn't he have some health problems or something last year?  Seems I recall an article about some of the players being psyched about getting to work with him again.  Or maybe that was just those 5 bowls of weed and the hit of acid I just dropped.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2017, 11:06:04 AM »
Anyone catch the US win over the Dominicans? Great ballgame. You should watch a replay if you can.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2017, 12:32:00 PM »
Jar, is Jose Oquendo still doing any coaching?  Didn't he have some health problems or something last year?  Seems I recall an article about some of the players being psyched about getting to work with him again.  Or maybe that was just those 5 bowls of weed and the hit of acid I just dropped.

He had knee problems and is now "special assistant to the gm"

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2017, 08:45:43 AM »
Hey Snaggs,

What's the current story with Brandon Philips?  Is he going to be the opening day starter at 2nd?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2017, 09:40:06 AM »
Hey Snaggs,

What's the current story with Brandon Philips?  Is he going to be the opening day starter at 2nd?

I don't think there's any doubt.  Jace Peterson has been there for the most part the last two years but he just hasn't done anything at the plate.  I was stoked to get Phillips, even at his "advanced" age.  I should be so advanced.  Stoked because I hated that guy.  I think he hit a double every time he batted against the Braves the last 10 years.

He had a Sports Center highlight the other night, starting a double play by flipping it behind his back.  Dude can ball and will be a definite upgrade.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2017, 10:05:39 AM »
Here's a good Brandon Phillips highlight...

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2017, 10:29:31 AM »
Phillips was just tired of those cheatin' Cards.   :poke:

Ironic you posted that because I watched a little of the Bravos and Detroit last night.  Verlander was dealing for the Tigers and the Braves had Jaime Garcia on the mound.  I assume that was the same Garcia that came sprinting in from the bump.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2017, 10:45:48 AM »
Was reading a little on AUTiger1's Baltimore GloryHoles.  The piece I read said they'll be picked at or near last like they are every year.  And then they'll be right at the top again, like they are every year.  They made the playoffs in 2012, 2014 and 2016. 

Starting pitching may be the only problem but the bullpen is off the charts good with closer, Zach Britton (0.54 ERA) closing 47-47 games.  That's sick!

Manny Machado (37 HR) and Chris Davis on the corners gives them serious pop.  JJ Hardy will again be one of the best short stops in the game.  Outfield has Adam Jones playing in a white man's league.  Matt Wieters won't be behind the dish for the first time since 2009. 

Buck "I Shoulda' Used Britton" Showalter is a helluva manager.  BTW, the criticism for not using Britton is overblown, IMO.  Yeah, you don't leave him in the pen during the playoffs, but the game went 11 innings.  They would have used him in the 9th and taken him out after a scoreless inning.

AU1, you got any 411 on your Birds?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2017, 10:55:34 AM »
Phillips was just tired of those cheatin' Cards.   :poke:

Ironic you posted that because I watched a little of the Bravos and Detroit last night.  Verlander was dealing for the Tigers and the Braves had Jaime Garcia on the mound.  I assume that was the same Garcia that came sprinting in from the bump.

If you go back and watch the video, he taps Yadi on his shin, and Yadi didn't like.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2017, 11:14:16 AM »
If you go back and watch the video, he taps Yadi on his shin, and Yadi didn't like.

I saw that.  I don't think that was Phillips' first rodeo starting some sh*t.  But this below was funny to me.  Watch Uribe's reaction.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2017, 02:31:49 PM »
I had to ask because I actually got him somewhat early in a fantasy draft for $3.  This league is full of bravos fans too, so it really surprised me.  I thought maybe he had been hurt or sucked so far this year.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2017, 03:24:32 PM »
I had to ask because I actually got him somewhat early in a fantasy draft for $3.  This league is full of bravos fans too, so it really surprised me.  I thought maybe he had been hurt or sucked so far this year.

Well, I'm going to admit that's an assumption on my part.  He's definitely a better, more seasoned player than Jace Peterson in every phase of the game.  Plus, they signed him for $14 Large so I feel like he'll be starting regardless.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions