Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

The Curious Case of Kam

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
The Curious Case of Kam
« on: January 25, 2018, 03:17:19 PM »
Catchy title, eh?  tl/dciyri 

I was thinking about Kam Pettway's situation recently.  Not just because I have a thing for strong, athletic, black men, but more wondering what really goes on in our program and others with regard to discipline.  Obviously, this past season looked like a serious waste of talent and saw the young man's stock drop tremendously with regard to a potential NFL future. Let me say first off, I don't know the man.  Never met him and I don't pretend to know more than what we were spoon fed from Gus about the reasons for his lack of play and/or production.

We were told he was suspended the first game.  Then he was hampered by a foot injury.  Then a mysterious shoulder injury basically ended his season.  Then...he gone!  Now, I'm well aware that the prevailing thought, or better yet, rumor, is that he couldn't stay off the drugs and keep working at McDowell's.  Everyone furthering that storyline seems to feel pretty certain that this was the case.  I have no clue and unless I missed it, (Wouldn't be the first time) there was no official word about anything other than injuries.  Someone tell me if you have a different perspective, but I think most would agree that from the outside looking in and nothing else to go on, it would appear that Pettway went the same route as many before him.  Those that are sent to Malzahn's dog house, rarely come out of it.

Did I read right somewhere that KP is married or has a kid or both?  If so, all the speculation could be pure poo-poo and his reason for leaving is as simple as the man needs to start earning some dough ray me to support them, either through the NFL or getting a UPS route.  Either way, best of luck to him.  But if some of that rumor/speculation is true, that raises some questions for me. And the answers may never be known as long as we're not privy to what really goes on with players and coaches in the program.

First, what is Gus' philosophy with regard to discipline?  Yes, he's tight lipped, as he should be.  But again, from the outside looking in, he appears to lean far more towards a zero-tolerance approach.  It probably goes on with far more players than we think, but several "high-profile" players in recent years have been banished to his dog house, never to return.  Duke Williams, Kyle Davis, Jovon Robinson, Erique Florence(Dat boy just plain sorry) Pettway....

Is that a bad thing?  Let me say first, I'm not writing this to bash CGM.  I've said my peace/piece and won't beat that horse anymore.  Every coach has his own philosophy on handling his players.  I have it on good authority and have posted before that you'd better get caught red-handed robbing a bank at gun point while sexually molesting a 6 year old that you drugged with meth before Saban is going to take a starter off the field. I have no doubt Mark Ripped lost out on several titles by kicking 20% of his players off the team at the start of every season.  (Fuck Georgia)  Coaches do what they think best.  And Gus has run a scandal free program to date and I'm sure he'll continue to do that.

But the second question is, once a player crosses that line and screws up, what, if anything, does Gus and his staff do to try and get someone back on track?  Now, the old school method was always run em' til they puke, then make em' run some more.  And I hope that's still at least part of Gus' process.  But let's again assume that Pettway's real problem was just being a sorry ass.  (Not saying he was.  Just for argument's sake)  Here's a preseason All-SEC back.  Physical specimen.  In the preseason Heisman discussion.  Probably a fairly high draft pick if he has a decent season.  Does anyone stay in this guy's, or any of these guy's faces and constantly remind them of the opportunity they're flushing down the shitter?

If I had a guy with Pettway's potential, I'd have someone shadowing him every day and in his grill, making sure he's doing the right things.  Is that being done?  Should it?  Or is a strictly tough love, one strike and you're out approach the better way.  I'm just stunned too many times by the incredible futures that too often seem to be thrown away.  And for what?

Anyway, thoughts?     
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 03:20:03 PM by Snaggletiger »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
Re: The Curious Case of Kam
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 03:23:54 PM »
If I had a guy with Pettway's potential, I'd have someone shadowing him every day and in his grill, making sure he's doing the right things.
What's Tim Jackson doing these days?

I know from the instasnaps my skreets that Pettway had a girlfriend and a kid.  Not sure how much that played into him not coming back, but all the innerweb chat sites my sources say he had a problem being on time for his 4:20 classes.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 03:25:24 PM »
I think Gus is pretty strict.

I think he's willing to give second chances.  Davis and Duke are the first to come to mind.

I think he cuts the problem kids out of team activities without throwing them under the bus so they can try to transfer or get a decent pro-day workout.

I like his approach and now, if there's a suspension, I presume the kid is gone unless he comes back totally buttoned up.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 03:34:55 PM »
I think Gus is pretty strict.

I think he's willing to give second chances.  Davis and Duke are the first to come to mind.

I think he cuts the problem kids out of team activities without throwing them under the bus so they can try to transfer or get a decent pro-day workout.

I like his approach and now, if there's a suspension, I presume the kid is gone unless he comes back totally buttoned up.

That seems to be the case.  What comes to mind is a kid down here about 10 years ago who was playing for Dothan High.  Unbelievably talented, physical specimen.  In the first two games of his senior season, he sent two opposing players to the hospital with hits I honestly thought had killed them.  He was about 6'3" 225.  I knew one of the assistant coaches at the time and asked why no colleges were looking at him.  He just said the kid is sorry and can barely write his own name.  I was thinking, "Isn't there anybody in this guy's life that gives two fucks enough to try and get in his head and make him realize what he's throwing away?"  I realize that's not a discipline problem, but it goes more to the second part of my question.  If a kid goes off the track, yes there should be consequences, but there's also got to be something more than do right or get out.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2018, 04:30:16 PM »
I know from the instasnaps my skreets that Pettway had a girlfriend and a kid.  Not sure how much that played into him not coming back, but all the innerweb chat sites my sources say he had a problem being on time for his 4:20 classes.
This is true, except for the last part. He had no problem being on time for his 4:20 class with Professor Sean White.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 06:44:56 PM by The Prowler »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2018, 05:28:26 PM »
I’ve seen it.  Coached a guy who spent six years in the nfl and started four in the SEC.  He wasn’t the most talented kid on the roster.  We pushed.  We stayed after them. But there comes a point when they’ve got to own it themselves. We had a back that reminded me of Fullwood.  Big, rangy, smooth. Never looked like he was running, he was just gliding.  He’d get the ball and make you forget what you were supposed to be doing.

LSU came a bunch. Tennessee. Bama. Couple of Big 10. Oklahoma. The kid refused to show up to take the ACT.  Every time.  He’d rather sleep in or hang with his lowlife buddies. Got busted with them on some burglary I think.  Could have been something. Just hanging around now so far as I know.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2018, 06:47:21 PM »
I’ve seen it.  Coached a guy who spent six years in the nfl and started four in the SEC.  He wasn’t the most talented kid on the roster.  We pushed.  We stayed after them. But there comes a point when they’ve got to own it themselves. We had a back that reminded me of Fullwood.  Big, rangy, smooth. Never looked like he was running, he was just gliding.  He’d get the ball and make you forget what you were supposed to be doing.

LSU came a bunch. Tennessee. Bama. Couple of Big 10. Oklahoma. The kid refused to show up to take the ACT.  Every time.  He’d rather sleep in or hang with his lowlife buddies. Got busted with them on some burglary I think.  Could have been something. Just hanging around now so far as I know.
That has to be pretty tough, seeing the potential in someone that they don't see and regardless of what you say or do, they just waste it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2018, 09:17:14 PM »
That has to be pretty tough, seeing the potential in someone that they don't see and regardless of what you say or do, they just waste it.

That's what I'm talking about.  I'm not saying coddle all these kids and overlook the sorry ass by any means.  Like in the case of Erique Florence.  My buddy at Troy said the first day Florence set foot on campus, he knew the kid would never play a down.  Just a piece of shit from word go.  And that was sad.  One of the best 2-3 HS players I've ever seen.  Off the freakin' chain.  But some, like Pettway, are already in the college setting.  Have already proven the incredible things they're capable of.  Same with Duke.  You just hope that someone is taking the time to at least make the attempt to get in their ear and say "Focus for the next few years and have whatever you want the rest of your life."

You may not believe this, but I've never been an athlete at that level. I know, I know....hard to look at me and think I'm not pulling your leg.  But despite that, I get the sense that some of these guys have had the success and accolades and truly believe they can turn it on any time they want.  So what if I take year off and party?  Who cares?  I'll just turn it on at the combine, sign on with the Vikings for a couple million and focus then.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2018, 02:00:59 AM »
So White killed Pettway in the study with a candlestick?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

jmar

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2018, 02:51:45 AM »
That's what I'm talking about.  I'm not saying coddle all these kids and overlook the sorry ass by any means.  Like in the case of Erique Florence.  My buddy at Troy said the first day Florence set foot on campus, he knew the kid would never play a down.  Just a piece of shit from word go.  And that was sad.  One of the best 2-3 HS players I've ever seen.  Off the freakin' chain.  But some, like Pettway, are already in the college setting.  Have already proven the incredible things they're capable of.  Same with Duke.  You just hope that someone is taking the time to at least make the attempt to get in their ear and say "Focus for the next few years and have whatever you want the rest of your life."

You may not believe this, but I've never been an athlete at that level. I know, I know....hard to look at me and think I'm not pulling your leg.  But despite that, I get the sense that some of these guys have had the success and accolades and truly believe they can turn it on any time they want.  So what if I take year off and party?  Who cares?  I'll just turn it on at the combine, sign on with the Vikings for a couple million and focus then.   
Michael Dyer (Chizik-Malzahn) comes to mind and I don't necessarily think he was destined to have a long lucrative career had he finished at Auburn but the immediate payout and opportunity would have been there until it went off the rails. Al.com updated his situation on February 20, 2015 during the week of the NFL combine in Indianapolis. He says (up to that date at least) that he still speaks with Malzahn. Also mentioned that he has contact with Tre Mason and Onterio McCalleb.

"I came out of high school and I had good talent and a lot of people around me supported me, but never really the structure to understand what it takes to maintain. Going through everything I went through, I understand that now."

That seems like an honest admission.

The history with Dyer could be a prime example of why subsequent discipline problems have been handled swiftly with likely only one chance at redemption. And given their relationship it's almost a certainty that Chizik/Malzahn gave Dyer several chances.       

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2018, 03:12:18 AM »
So White killed Pettway in the study with a candlestick?
It would appear.
Then White turned the candlestick on himself.
Ugly business really...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2018, 08:12:47 AM »
It would appear.
Then White turned the candlestick on himself.
Ugly business really...

Just like that time when Hopalong Cassidy killed himself. Bow and arrow. Very weird.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg