Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

This is 40

Token

This is 40
« on: November 11, 2016, 01:33:53 PM »
Sign R.A. Dickey and Bartolo Colon this week.  Nice to see we're sticking with millions on 40 year old players.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Re: This is 40
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2016, 02:03:17 PM »
Sign R.A. Dickey and Bartolo Colon this week.  Nice to see we're sticking with millions on 40 year old players.

I could understand one of the two guys, maybe Dickey.  Not because I like to say "Dickey", but because as a knuckleballer, he's going to be just as good an durable at 40 as he is at 30.  I think with him, you can be assured of consistent, quality innings in the rotation. 

However, I didn't realize until I just looked, that Colon was 15-8 with a 3.43 ERA last year.  Even at 43. That's pretty dang skippy.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Token

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2016, 02:15:12 PM »
I could understand one of the two guys, maybe Dickey.  Not because I like to say "Dickey", but because as a knuckleballer, he's going to be just as good an durable at 40 as he is at 30.  I think with him, you can be assured of consistent, quality innings in the rotation. 

However, I didn't realize until I just looked, that Colon was 15-8 with a 3.43 ERA last year.  Even at 43. That's pretty dang skippy.

Colon would be solid if the Braves were looking for a hired gun to make a WS run.  They aren't.  They are in the process of building a franchise.  You do that with young players like Kimbril, Freeman, Simmons, and Hayward. 

You don't do that with Markakis, Dickey, Kemp, Colon and Pierzynski.  Might as well hire Bobby Cox for 1 year and pay him 15.8 million.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2016, 03:05:52 PM »
Colon would be solid if the Braves were looking for a hired gun to make a WS run.  They aren't.  They are in the process of building a franchise.  You do that with young players like Kimbril, Freeman, Simmons, and Hayward. 

You don't do that with Markakis, Dickey, Kemp, Colon and Pierzynski.  Might as well hire Bobby Cox for 1 year and pay him 15.8 million.

I agree in part.  Maybe one too many elder statesmen.  But having watched this team the entire season and how they morphed from a laughing stock to a team no one wanted to see coming by years' end, I finally saw a method to the madness.  This team is loaded with young talent, most of whom are making the minimum. ($508K)  They have their leadoff hitter of the future and one of the better center fielders in the game win Ender Inciarte. (26) You wouldn't even list Simmons above if you watched the development of Dansby Swanson at short.  This kid (22) isn't far behind Simmons in the field and he'll damn sure wind up a better hitter. 

They're set at 3rd with Adonis Garcia and the pitching staff has more live arms than I've ever seen on a Braves staff.  Not better pitchers.  Just better arms.  And that's where you need a couple of veterans like Dickey and Colon while the others develop.  Do you realize the senior member of the starting staff (The permanent starters) is Julio Tehran at 26 years old?  Everyone marveled at Chapman bringing it up there at 102 in the W.S.  23 year old, Mauricio Cabrera, for the Braves rarely threw a pitch under 100 m.p.h.  Like so many others, he's making the league minimum. 

I have no problem with Markakis.  Outside of Freeman, he was the most steady guy on the field.  His average fell off at the very end to .270 but he had 13 HR's and 89 RBI's and played a solid right for 158 games.  The thing about Kimbrel, Hayward and Simmons (They were never letting go of Freddie) is the Braves knew they were going to have to tear it down and rebuild.  These guys were looking at long term astronomical contracts and let's face it, Hayward was the picture of inconsistency and Simmons just wasn't very good overall at the plate.  Kimbrel was just going to command too much money long term.

Not sure why Pryznimnskzi is still on payroll because they found their every day catcher in Tyler Flowers, who is also 10X the hitter AJ is right now.  And their back up, Anthony Recker, played well too. My take is that you need this experience while developing a young nucleus of players.  They may be paying them too much but that's easily offset by all the minimum contract guys on the roster.  They'll move each older guy out as the younger guys take over.

Needless to say, I started getting excited again about the future of this franchise.   
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 03:07:52 PM by Snaggletiger »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Token

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2016, 03:16:05 PM »
I agree in part.  Maybe one too many elder statesmen.  But having watched this team the entire season and how they morphed from a laughing stock to a team no one wanted to see coming by years' end, I finally saw a method to the madness.  This team is loaded with young talent, most of whom are making the minimum. ($508K)  They have their leadoff hitter of the future and one of the better center fielders in the game win Ender Inciarte. (26) You wouldn't even list Simmons above if you watched the development of Dansby Swanson at short.  This kid (22) isn't far behind Simmons in the field and he'll damn sure wind up a better hitter. 

They're set at 3rd with Adonis Garcia and the pitching staff has more live arms than I've ever seen on a Braves staff.  Not better pitchers.  Just better arms.  And that's where you need a couple of veterans like Dickey and Colon while the others develop.  Do you realize the senior member of the starting staff (The permanent starters) is Julio Tehran at 26 years old?  Everyone marveled at Chapman bringing it up there at 102 in the W.S.  23 year old, Mauricio Cabrera, for the Braves rarely threw a pitch under 100 m.p.h.  Like so many others, he's making the league minimum. 

I have no problem with Markakis.  Outside of Freeman, he was the most steady guy on the field.  His average fell off at the very end to .270 but he had 13 HR's and 89 RBI's and played a solid right for 158 games.  The thing about Kimbrel, Hayward and Simmons (They were never letting go of Freddie) is the Braves knew they were going to have to tear it down and rebuild.  These guys were looking at long term astronomical contracts and let's face it, Hayward was the picture of inconsistency and Simmons just wasn't very good overall at the plate.  Kimbrel was just going to command too much money long term.

Not sure why Pryznimnskzi is still on payroll because they found their every day catcher in Tyler Flowers, who is also 10X the hitter AJ is right now.  And their back up, Anthony Recker, played well too. My take is that you need this experience while developing a young nucleus of players.  They may be paying them too much but that's easily offset by all the minimum contract guys on the roster.  They'll move each older guy out as the younger guys take over.

Needless to say, I started getting excited again about the future of this franchise.

Consider me schooled.  I stayed true to my boycott of the Braves last season so I have no idea who any of the new guys are.  I only knew they picked up Kemp because his name go across ticker on ESPN one night.  I hope you are right and there is a method to the madness.  I'm just still stuck on the millions they've thrown away on unproductive players in the past and I'm assuming they are still doing the same thing.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2016, 03:37:07 PM »
Consider me schooled.  I stayed true to my boycott of the Braves last season so I have no idea who any of the new guys are.  I only knew they picked up Kemp because his name go across ticker on ESPN one night.  I hope you are right and there is a method to the madness.  I'm just still stuck on the millions they've thrown away on unproductive players in the past and I'm assuming they are still doing the same thing.

Certainly nowhere near contending.  They need some more bats in the line up.  The top 4-5 are solid and once Kemp got in the line up to protect Freddie, he started crushing it. I just saw where Pwzrzznsknzki is making $2 mil/yr.  Drop in the bucket for a veteran like that but I'm still surprised he's still with them at 39 as a catcher.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2016, 04:58:53 PM »
I will tell you this, Colon is old and he is not of the normal MLB physic, but, the mfer can pitch. He is not gonna be a starter but when he is pitching, he will deliver some damn good pitches.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2016, 07:09:21 PM »
Who is richardey?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

oldautiger

• Resident Old Fart
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2016, 07:42:25 PM »
so I have no idea who any of the new guys are.

"Who are these goddamned guys"     Major League
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard, grow big, wear glasses of you need 'em." - Webb Wilder

"Auburn is no Harvard, M.I.T. or Alabama - Thank GOD for small favors" - Anonymous

I can't recommend sex, drugs and rock 'n roll to everybody, but they've worked for me. - Me

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2016, 09:38:46 PM »
This guy's dead.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2016, 01:44:31 PM »
This guy's dead.
Well cross him off the list
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions