The Evolution of Gus

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
The Evolution of Gus
« on: October 19, 2016, 09:42:04 AM »
Interesting stuff from a poster over on ITAT:

You can pretty much break down the Malzahn era thus far into 3 phases:

PHASE 1-  THE GOOD TIMES (22 games)

This phase started with his very first game at Auburn (a win over Washington State) through the Ole Miss game in 2014.  In total, it covered his first 22 games on the Plains.  As a whole, Auburn went 19-3 with zero bad losses.  The only losses were to 2013 LSU (who finished #14) on the road, 2013 Florida State (who finished #1) in the National Title Game, and 2014 Mississippi State (who finished #11) also on the road.  During this phase, Auburn averaged an impressive 500 yards of offense per game at a whopping 6.94 yards/play.  On defense, we held opponents to 405 yards per game and 5.72 yards per play.  This phase ended following the thrilling 35-31 win over Ole Miss in Oxford back in 2014.  That night, #3 Auburn defeated #7 Ole Miss.  At the time it seemed Auburn was destined to possibly make another run at the National Title Game.  I'm not sure what happened, but the good times ended after that win.

PHASE 2-  THE HORRIBLE TIMES (13 games)

This phase lasted 13 games spread over portions of two seasons.  It began with the inexplicable loss to an average Texas A&M team in Jordan Hare in 2014.  During this phase, Auburn would compile a horrific 5-8 overall record.  The defense worsened a bit from the previous phase.  During phase 2 of the Gus era, the defense gave up 441 yards per game and 6.0 yards per play.  The offensive production plummeted though.  On offense, Auburn averaged just 407 yards per game and 5.72 yards per play.  This was a drop of 92 yards per game and 1.2 yards per play compared to Phase 1 of the Gus era.

PHASE 3-  THE IMPROVEMENT (11 games and counting)

While some might disagree with when this phase begun, I actually think it began last season when Auburn traveled to College Station.  Sure, there have been some frustrating moments since this game, but to me this is when we could begin to see improvement.  Let's just saw we began rising up from rock bottom.  During phase 3 of the Malzahn era, Auburn has just a 7-4 overall record.  However, none of the losses have been particularly embarrassing.  The four losses came against 2015 Alabama (finished #1), 2015 Georgia by just 7 points (finished #26... just outside the final Top 25), 2016 Clemson (currently #4), and 2016 Texas A&M (currently #6).  During this improvement phase, Auburn has lost most all of the "big" games, but we've actually been fairly competitive in each of them.  None were blowouts.  The offensive production is up slightly... up 21 yards per game to 429 yards on average.  But its been the defense that has played the best of any phase during the Gus era.  During phase 3, the defense is giving up just 343 yards per game and 4.87 yards/play.

If Auburn has very impressive wins these next two weeks, I think its possible that a new phase begun with the win in September over LSU.  It's too early to tell.  If so, then we are actually three games into Phase 4 and we've got a second "Good Times" phase on our hand.  We'll know soon enough.  But this "Improvement Phase" is remarkably better than the bad phase we came out of.  That is evidenced in the statistical margins against our opponents:

PHASE 1-  Auburn outgained opponents by by 95 yards per game and 1.22 yards per play

PHASE 2-  Auburn was outgained by our opponents by 34 yards per game and 0.25 yards per play

PHASE 3-  Auburn has outained our opponents by 86 yards per game and 0.94 yards per play

Lastly, it seems the Texas A&M game has become a pivotal game for Auburn each season.  More than just a game, it seems to be a momentum shifter for the program.

2012-  This was the season Johhny Manziel put up 63 points on Auburn.  This was the nail in the coffin for the Chizik era, as the fans and the players both seemed to quit during this game.

2013-  This was 7 games into the "Good" phase of the Malzahn era, but winning against Manziel in College Station is what kicked the good phase into overdrive.  It's when Auburn went from good to great.

2014-  This was Game 1 of the "Horrible" phase of the Malzahn era.  The loss to Texas A&M at home sent Auburn down a terrible 13-game path

2015-  This was Game 1 of the "Improvement" phase.  This is when it was evident we had hit rock bottom.  This win signaled we were on our way back towards improvement.

2016-  If Auburn goes on to finish the year strong... say win out except for the Iron Bowl (realistically speaking), I think the A&M game will mark the close of the "improvement" stage, and all games after will be another "good" phase.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
Re: The Evolution of Gus
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 09:45:55 AM »
TL;DR
Is this guy supporting Trump or Hillary?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 09:51:32 AM »
TL;DR
Is this guy supporting Trump or Hillary?
precisely
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 09:52:32 AM »
So, based on this...buckle up.  We are in for a roller coaster ride with Malzahn at the helm.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 09:55:51 AM »
seriously though, I hope this is the case.  I still want Gus to succeed.  If we hadn't lost the Clemson and aTm in the fashion we did (ie offensive mind fuckery) IMO his job wouldn't even be on the line.

Here's the funny thing we get through Arkansas and downtrodden Ole Miss and we could be looking at 9-2 rolling into bama with a shot....a small shot....minuscule even of making an SEC Championship game.  It's crazy to think that especially after what we witnessed in the opener.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

bgreene

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2016, 11:17:22 AM »
seriously though, I hope this is the case.  I still want Gus to succeed.  If we hadn't lost the Clemson and aTm in the fashion we did (ie offensive mind fuckery) IMO his job wouldn't even be on the line.

Here's the funny thing we get through Arkansas and downtrodden Ole Miss and we could be looking at 9-2 rolling into bama with a shot....a small shot....minuscule even of making an SEC Championship game.  It's crazy to think that especially after what we witnessed in the opener.

If Gus had just went with White during the Clemson game then we are undefeated right now and are looking at going into the iron bowl undefeated.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Men are made stronger on the realization that the helping hand they need is at the end of their own arm."

-Sidney Phillips

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2016, 11:27:20 AM »
If Gus had just went with White during the Clemson game then we are undefeated right now and are looking at going into the iron bowl undefeated.

Could be, but I'm not convinced that would be the case.  Ear-regardless of who was in there, the play calling was absolutely horrible.  Plus, I don't think Pettway even saw the field that night.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2016, 11:45:46 AM »
Could be, but I'm not convinced that would be the case.  Ear-regardless of who was in there, the play calling was absolutely horrible.  Plus, I don't think Pettway even saw the field that night.
^^I agree with this post, despite the poster's tendency to post idiotic things.

I think the offense as a whole was bad at the start. So was Clemson's but ours was worse. We've made a lot of progress on the O line and in QB play. In other words, the White boy is playing much better now, imo, and the people around him. Including the play calling.

If we keep making baby steps in areas and sustain in others, we can compete with anyone.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2016, 12:07:08 PM »
Speaking of the O-line, if Dampeer is healthy, do they go back to the original line?  Have no clue how he's graded out, but the line seems more Back Street Boys or In Sync with Darius James in there and Golson back at center.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

jmar

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2016, 12:18:57 PM »
^^I agree with this post, despite the poster's tendency to post idiotic things.

I think the offense as a whole was bad at the start. So was Clemson's but ours was worse. We've made a lot of progress on the O line and in QB play. In other words, the White boy is playing much better now, imo, and the people around him. Including the play calling.

If we keep making baby steps in areas and sustain in others, we can compete with anyone.
Anyone?

You do realize what you are saying don't you?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2016, 12:24:19 PM »
Anyone?

That together we can wipe out the child hunger problem?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2016, 12:29:32 PM »
Give us James at tackle. He's far more aggressive.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2016, 12:43:00 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2016, 12:49:11 PM »
The Gus bus the first two weeks of the season:

What he was drinking:

What he was eating:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2016, 01:46:13 PM »
Anyone?

Bueller?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2016, 01:53:13 PM »
Bueller?

Um, he's sick. My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2016, 02:23:01 PM »

He helped Gilligan get off the island!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2016, 04:56:02 PM »
He helped Gilligan get off the island!
If lovin' the Gus is wrong, I don't wanna be right.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2016, 05:00:11 PM »
If lovin' the Gus is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

Putchu on a plate and sop you up with a biscuit.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions