Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

The Case For Gus

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
The Case For Gus
« on: September 18, 2016, 02:23:52 PM »
Why firing Gus Malzahn might not be the right answer for Auburn
http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/auburn-texas-a-m-result-gus-malzahn-hot-seat-status-fired-replacements-091716
Aaron Tores from Fox Sports writes:

Over the next few days, there won't be a more compelling conversation in college football than the future of Gus Malzahn at Auburn. With a 1-2 record, a game against LSU looming and an impossible SEC slate from there, it seems to be a matter of when Malzahn will be handed his walking papers, not if.

But while the move seems to be inevitable, it also could be the wrong decision. Firing Malzahn likely won't get Auburn any closer to its goal of winning a national championship.

Auburn fans reading this might think I'm crazy, and I understand why. Malzahn is now 1-2 this year and 11-13 since starting the 2014 season 5-0. Even worse is that the Tigers' offense -- which is supposed to be this team's bread and butter -- has scored a grand total of 29 points in losses to Clemson and Texas A&M to start the season. Considering they averaged 39 points a game during the Tigers' title game run in 2013, that is obviously a massive turn in the wrong direction.

But here is the counter argument: If you've watched the Tigers closely this year, they're actually not a bad team. The defense was dynamite against Clemson and Texas A&M, and if Auburn had a more manageable schedule to open the year (like that of Michigan, Washington or other relatively untested teams) maybe they would have time to iron out the kinks in their offense.

Instead they had a brutal schedule to start and play a brutal schedule going forward, leaving them no margin for error in the SEC West, the toughest division in college football. Let's just say Auburn played in the SEC East instead of the West, the much easier division. Wouldn't they be the second- or third-best team there and look much better than they have? It seems likely.

Unfortunately, the Tigers are in the West, and because of it Malzahn's clock is ticking. While firing Malzahn seems like the easy solution, here's the problem: Unless the Tigers went out and hired Art Briles (which, as things stand, seems unlikely), what guarantee is there that they get a better coach than Malzahn? There isn't one.

There isn't a Nick Saban, Jim Harbaugh or Urban Meyer out there, a guy who is a guaranteed home run hire. While a second-tier Power 5 coach seems attainable (let's use UNC's Larry Fedora as an example of the level of potential candidates for Auburn), I've got to ask: Why would any coach want to leave a good job, making good money, to come to Auburn where they're second-fiddle in their own state and in the toughest division in college football? It's career suicide, which is why a major assistant or non-Power 5 head coach seems more realistic.

Of course, Auburn fans don't want to hear that, but that's reality. Think of the other major college football powers who've had job openings over the last few years.

USC hired an interim in Clay Helton because there wasn't a better candidate out there. Georgia hired Kirby Smart, a guy with zero head coaching experience whose best qualifications were that he was an alum of the school and worked under Nick Saban. Florida fans weren't happy with the Jim McElwain hire and Charlie Strong was Texas' fifth or sixth choice, even if both those hires look good with hindsight.

Outside of Jim Harbaugh to Michigan, what coach who's been hired over the last few years was a can't-miss hire the entire fan-base agreed upon? There isn't one.

That is why Auburn needs to proceed cautiously.

Yes, I know fans are frustrated with the state of the program, and it's tough being disappointed week after week with the performance of your team.

But while firing Malzahn is the knee-jerk, obvious reaction, it might not be the right one.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

Re: The Case For Gus
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2016, 02:31:41 PM »
Won't matter if we fire him or not, if Jacobs makes the next hire, we are back here in 4 years.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2016, 03:01:35 PM »
Why would Alabama fire Shula?

They were delusional thinking they would ever get back to winning championships. No good coach would touch that program.

Auburn isn't even asking for championships at this point. I think we all just want competitive, consistent football.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2016, 03:07:29 PM »
I'm not in the, as he put it, knee jerk reaction mode and want to fire Malzahn.  I was last night in JHS.  But then, I was several whiskey drinks in.  The man's stubbornness, shitty play calling, refusal to mold his offense to his QB's strengths is mind boggling.  I say again, as I said in another thread...Sean White is NOT a read option QB.  So STOP running it and STOP handing off between the tackles on 90% of every first down plays. 

We were all encouraged by the performance against ASU.  Look, the Red Puppies are horrible and were grossly overmatched. Toledo torched them.  We hung 8,000 yards on them.  They lost to Utah State last night and were down 24-0 at the half.  We looked like world beaters.  But did you notice something?  We handed the ball off up the middle just about every...single...fucking...first down.  Okay when you can steamroll a Sun Belt team.  Will never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever work against any SEC team as long as Sean White is at QB.  He's not Cam.  He's not Nick.  So, on every single fucking first down, teams can treat it like it's 3rd and 1.  Respect the outside but stack the box. 

What is this man's stubbornness in running the offense this way when he doesn't have the QB to do it?  Where is the TE?  Where are the wheel routes?  Why has he completely abandoned the pump fake/fly pattern?  Question.  If you're LSU or Ole Miss or Georgia or Bama and you're defending Auburn on first down...what do you do?  I'll hang up and lissen'.  Nope, don't need to.  I already know the answer and so do you.  And so do every one of those teams. 

I'm not all about firing him, but has the man forgotten how to coach?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

oldautiger

• Resident Old Fart
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2016, 06:28:00 PM »
I'm not in the, as he put it, knee jerk reaction mode and want to fire Malzahn.  I was last night in JHS.  But then, I was several whiskey drinks in.  The man's stubbornness, shitty play calling, refusal to mold his offense to his QB's strengths is mind boggling.  I say again, as I said in another thread...Sean White is NOT a read option QB.  So STOP running it and STOP handing off between the tackles on 90% of every first down plays. 

We were all encouraged by the performance against ASU.  Look, the Red Puppies are horrible and were grossly overmatched. Toledo torched them.  We hung 8,000 yards on them.  They lost to Utah State last night and were down 24-0 at the half.  We looked like world beaters.  But did you notice something?  We handed the ball off up the middle just about every...single...fucking...first down.  Okay when you can steamroll a Sun Belt team.  Will never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever work against any SEC team as long as Sean White is at QB.  He's not Cam.  He's not Nick.  So, on every single fucking first down, teams can treat it like it's 3rd and 1.  Respect the outside but stack the box. 

What is this man's stubbornness in running the offense this way when he doesn't have the QB to do it?  Where is the TE?  Where are the wheel routes?  Why has he completely abandoned the pump fake/fly pattern?  Question.  If you're LSU or Ole Miss or Georgia or Bama and you're defending Auburn on first down...what do you do?  I'll hang up and lissen'.  Nope, don't need to.  I already know the answer and so do you.  And so do every one of those teams. 

I'm not about firing him either......Yet, but I'm fucking getting close
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard, grow big, wear glasses of you need 'em." - Webb Wilder

"Auburn is no Harvard, M.I.T. or Alabama - Thank GOD for small favors" - Anonymous

I can't recommend sex, drugs and rock 'n roll to everybody, but they've worked for me. - Me

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2016, 06:31:07 PM »

Yup, it's SSDD...with the exception of that one play that he tries to run (which fails 99.8% of the time). You know the play I'm talking about...

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2016, 06:38:34 PM »
Until JJ is gone, no need to fire or hire another football coach!

Why in the hell would you give CGM an extension after last season?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2016, 08:47:19 PM »

The whiskey had you talking shit about Carl Lawson. That was some good stuff.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2016, 08:51:31 PM »
Won't matter if we fire him or not, if Jacobs makes the next hire, we are back here in 4 years.

Which is really the bigger issue. Most of the fanbase doesnt view it this way. They just want the next coach galldammet. Sorry to say but Gus should not have gotten this gig in 12. Not even top 3. He had more experience than smart of the list we had but that was about his only redeeming quality. How Patterson has not seriously gotten even close to being pulled from Tcu just baffles me. I still like Briles but the scandal is gonna hurt him a while. If Tom Herman isnt in Every coaching vacancy's top 2 at the end of this year, then those schools are on crack.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2016, 10:15:30 PM »
The whiskey had you talking shit about Carl Lawson. That was some good stuff.

Yeah, it did.  Buy I'm not drinking whiskey right now.  Lawson...ain't...done...shit.  3 games in.  Here's his stats.  1 solo tackle.  4 assists.  There's more?  Nope.  Oh well, he's getting double teamed.  No...he's not.  I watched him exclusively, play after play last night.  He was either crashing inside, breaking containment, getting stoned at the line or just flat out getting pancaked.  One man whipped his ass to a soda water finish all night.

1 tackle in 3 games.  Yeah, I'm talking shit about him.  I'm a bad man!!!  Well, a bald man...but what's an L?  Srsly, our D has played lights out, for Auburn.  Lawson ain't done shit!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2016, 10:20:19 PM »
Yeah, it did.  Buy I'm not drinking whiskey right now.  Lawson...ain't...done...shit.  3 games in.  Here's his stats.  1 solo tackle.  4 assists.  There's more?  Nope.  Oh well, he's getting double teamed.  No...he's not.  I watched him exclusively, play after play last night.  He was either crashing inside, breaking containment, getting stoned at the line or just flat out getting pancaked.  One man whipped his ass to a soda water finish all night.

1 tackle in 3 games.  Yeah, I'm talking shit about him.  I'm a bad man!!!  Well, a bald man...but what's an L?  Srsly, our D has played lights out, for Auburn.  Lawson ain't done shit!

Gus must be helping him personally .
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2016, 12:57:51 AM »
Why in the hell would you give CGM an extension after last season?

If you were getting kickbacks, wouldn't you give an extention?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 01:00:26 AM by bottomfeeder »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2016, 02:48:40 AM »
Lawson looks great in the uniform and on the front of the media guide tho? Shit he has one more tackle than I do this season.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

jmar

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2016, 03:11:46 AM »
Lawson looks great in the uniform and on the front of the media guide tho? Shit he has one more tackle than I do this season.
Oh to have Coach Rock calling stunts for this front.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2016, 03:42:23 AM »
Oh to have Coach Rock calling stunts for this front.
Rock was the best defensive line coach I ever played for.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

jmar

« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2016, 10:23:53 AM »
Rock was the best defensive line coach I ever played for.
That's certainly better than playing under him. Big dude.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2016, 10:30:03 AM »
Mama says Coach Rock is da debil
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

jmar

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2016, 10:30:10 AM »
The best available HC I can think of that is Dana Holgerson. Very good play caller and with our talent...ah piss on it!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2016, 10:38:42 AM »
If Tom Herman isnt in Every coaching vacancy's top 2 at the end of this year, then those schools are on crack.
^^^

I want him.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2016, 10:44:56 AM »
^^^

I want him.
We can back a Brinks up to his home but I don't think we can get him.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions