Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Thoughts - Week 2

Thoughts - Week 2
« on: September 11, 2016, 08:35:53 AM »
Auburn

- So just how good was it last night? Really good. Despite the level of competition - unless Arkansas State truly is legendary bad as an FBS school - Auburn's offense had an impressive performance last night especially when considering the absolute clusterfuck that occurred against Clemson.

- Here's what the stats say about a Malzahn-led offense against lesser opponents. Note that I'm only going to look at the shitty years for a comparison to this year.

2011:

Utah State - 78 yards rushing. 286 yards passing. 54 plays for 364 total yards. 6.74 yards per play.
Florida Atlantic - 137 yards rushing. 178 yards passing. 62 plays for 315 total yards. 5.08 yards per play.
Samford - 248 yards rushing. 167 yards passing. 69 plays for 415 total yards. 6.01 yards per play.

2015:

Jacksonville State - 165 yards rushing. 236 yards passing. 70 plays for 401 total yards. 5.73 yards per play.
San Jose State - 234 yards rushing. 108 yards passing. 58 plays for 343 total yards. 5.90 yards per play.
Idaho - 297 yards rushing. 163 yards passing. 70 plays for 460 total yards. 6.57 yards per play.

And what we did last night:

Arkansas State - 462 yards rushing. 244 yards passing. 85 plays for 706 total yards. 8.31 yards per play.

In terms of overall total offensive numbers, this was Gus Malzahn's 2nd best game as an Auburn Tiger (712 total yards against Western Carolina in 2013).

And even more impressive was the fact that Auburn only gained around 100 yards in the 4th quarter. This was a 600 yard performance through 3 quarters.

I am fully aware that it looks like Arkansas State is an awful football team. But the point is that Auburn has never come close to this kind of performance in years that it has a bad offense, which is something I think we all assumed we had after last week.

- This leads to the bigger and still frightening question - just what the hell was Gus Malzahn thinking last week? We obviously have all of the tools to make this a potent offense. The old Gus Malzahn plays that worked in 2009, 2010, 2013, and even 2014 still work. We can run up the middle. Use tempo. Hit some down the field passes and wear down the opposing defense until we're scoring at will.

We have TWO running backs that can ball. We have a quarterback that can connect with his receivers. We have receivers that can catch. We have young guys that can make big plays. So just what was Gus thinking last week?

It's a terrifying issue because this seems to be a good football team, and I still believe the head coach and offensive coordinator are major hindrances to what this team can actually accomplish. Again, I know it was Arkansas State, but I saw a team that looked very similar to teams I saw in 2013 and 2010. We don't have the legs at QB, but I think White is good enough in the passing game to make our offense dynamic enough to keep the defense on their toes.

Did last night wake Gus up? Will he continue to call a normal football game going forward? It got us 700+ yards and a dominating victory. Bad offenses and bad football teams don't do that. Ever. Against anybody no matter how bad they are.

- The defense had some issues, but they still look much improved. They're physical. They tackle well. They're aggressive. I was really impressed by true freshman Marlon Davidson. He was terrorizing their offensive line all evening. I also liked Stephen Roberts. He was like a bullet shooting into the gaps on run plays.

- I'm actually excited about next week. I think we can win. But isn't that part of having Gus as a head coach? One week you feel like the season is done and we won't win another meaningful game. The next week you think we could run the table.

Alabama

- I actually watched some of this game yesterday. I'm not impressed by their true freshman QB. At all. Alabama as usual has a defense that smothers opponents and forces them to take risks just to have a chance at not being freaking injured let only stay competitive. Going into the half, Alabama's offense had ten points and got an extra seven from a pick 6.

- Hurts will probably be a good player in the long run, but right now he's inaccurate throwing down field and relies on quick passes to the perimeter. He's good at long handoffs. He's extremely fortunate to play at Alabama where their receivers are NFL-quality. Just like Blake Sims was fortunate to play at Alabama.

LSU

- Les Miles has to see the lights up ahead, right? My father is a big LSU fan, and he couldn't believe that Miles switched to a new QB, got a lot of success from him, then basically ran out the clock instead of giving the guy more meaningful reps. And Miles wonders why he's never had a good quarterback despite having just as much talent as Alabama on the roster.

Final Thought

- As always: War Eagle. I'm not a fan of Gus any more. We could win 12 games this season, and I don't have the confidence that we'll not look stupid awful in game one of next season. But I want Auburn to win, and I want those players to feel successful. Let's kick Aggie ass this weekend and go into LSU week with a head of steam.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 08:39:09 AM by Townhallsavoy »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
Re: Thoughts - Week 2
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2016, 09:03:49 AM »
Arkansas St is a decent mid level team. They have a lot of talent that for whatever reason didn't pan out at major schools (ie dee liner). They win 8-9 a year. They go to bowls. They do well in their conference. Not a great team. But certainly worlds above prarie view or nicholls. Just sayin. 700 yards is hard to do in your back yard. The mix of plays and the run being primary was perfect. It was vintage 2013. Hopefully Gus learned from last week and some of last year and stays this course. I want the guy to do well. I like the guy. I hope hope hope he has found some of his mojo again.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 09:06:04 AM by GH2001 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2016, 09:12:31 AM »
Some other notes:
The kid at LSU looked like a quarterback.  Acted like a quarterback. Played with a confidence and command I haven't seen under center at LSU in .... well... maybe a decade or longer.  They are a different and much more dangerous team with him at the helm. If the coaching staff there lets him be they could be who people thought they were.  Can't help but feel badly for Harris, though.  Much like I feel badly for Jeremy Johnson.  I think they're good people, they love their school and are capable of more than they've shown. But it's over for both.

Fuck Arkansas and that cocky pig of a coach. They've been luckier than any team has a right to be lately. 

Clemson and Georgia
Both lost yesterday. If not for some ridiculously favorable calls Troy beats Clemson and Nicholls State takes down Georgia.  Sad to see those two teams get fucked over by home cooking.  Georgia, in particular, was a big loser.  I played golf that morning with a Georgia fan who watched the game on his phone while we finished the round. His take? "Kirby Smart is just like Saban.  Remember Louisiana Monroe?  Same thing. Just gonna take him a game or two..."  I saw Smart's post game. He looks like a whiny assclown.

Mississippi State
Just how good is South Alabama?  Shitloads better than South Carolina, apparently. But wait, the Jaguars got skull drug by Georgia Southern at home this week.  Don't think either MSU or SC are much good. 

A&M
This is a much scarier team than I think anybody realizes.  Remember how you can't ignore 700 yards?  Aggies had 687 Saturday against somebody.  They also shut out that somebody who, if I remember correctly, led the nation in scoring last year.  Trevor Knight is a solid QB -- maybe the best in the league right now.  Will be a difficult task this week.

Ole Miss/UA
I hate them. End of story.  Saturday is a no win situation, but I think they beat Bama. Saban is a first class asshole and his cranky bitch schtick is wearing thin with everybody.

Florida
NOW they're back.  Took a week.

Tennessee
Still terrible.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2016, 09:58:04 AM »

I am fully aware that it looks like Arkansas State is an awful football team. But the point is that Auburn has never come close to this kind of performance in years that it has a bad offense, which is something I think we all assumed we had after last week.

Nice write up as usual. Above is the only thing I really disagree with. I don't think we assumed that Auburn had a bad offense. We all assumed that Gus had his head in the sand and completely fucked the team out of a win.

aTm has scored a lot of points the last 2 weeks. Should be a good test for the defense. On offense, I think Auburn needs to try and establish the inside run to keep those two d-ends from rushing up field, which is exactly what they did Saturday with Pettyway. I look forward to it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2016, 10:45:12 AM »

- This leads to the bigger and still frightening question - just what the hell was Gus Malzahn thinking last week? We obviously have all of the tools to make this a potent offense. The old Gus Malzahn plays that worked in 2009, 2010, 2013, and even 2014 still work. We can run up the middle. Use tempo. Hit some down the field passes and wear down the opposing defense until we're scoring at will.

I think Gus is a smart man.  Thus, when I see totally obvious failures like the offensive "plan" against Clemson I have to think that the decision making is deliberate and designed for some purpose.  We're all just shadowboxing at that purpose, only Gus knows, and here's my best guess:

He doesn't really want SW to be the QB.  For whatever reason, he prefers JJ.  He saw an opportunity against the #2 team, against whom no one was giving Auburn a chance, to push the issue one last time.  Come hell or high water, he was going to give Johnson one last shot under the lights to take the job.  No one really expected Auburn to beat Clemson, so take a week's worth of heat for your "experiment" and then hand the reins to the obviously superior SW if you fail.

We have TWO running backs that can ball. We have a quarterback that can connect with his receivers. We have receivers that can catch. We have young guys that can make big plays.

This is the best surprise from last night: the productivity (and surprising speed/cut ability) of Pettway.  He and KJ are a vicious combo of power and speed.  Pettway even made a nifty little side step to avoid a LB that I wouldn't have expected from a 240lb guy at full steam.

Again, I know it was Arkansas State, but I saw a team that looked very similar to teams I saw in 2013 and 2010. We don't have the legs at QB, but I think White is good enough in the passing game to make our offense dynamic enough to keep the defense on their toes.

He's certainly not #2 or #14, but White was more than capable running the ball last night.  He had a run (2 plays before his circus pitch to KJ with the crazy spin move) that was deceptively awesome for a guy who reputedly can't be relied upon to bring that dimension to the field.  He needs to learn to slide, but the ASU defense was spying him by the early 3rd quarter and that is exactly the desired effect.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2016, 12:12:20 PM »
He doesn't really want SW to be the QB.  For whatever reason, he prefers JJ.  He saw an opportunity against the #2 team, against whom no one was giving Auburn a chance, to push the issue one last time.  Come hell or high water, he was going to give Johnson one last shot under the lights to take the job.  No one really expected Auburn to beat Clemson, so take a week's worth of heat for your "experiment" and then hand the reins to the obviously superior SW if you fail.

Change SW to DE.  Change JJ to BH.  Change Gus to Les. 

Saw the same thing take place (other than the "not given a chance" scenario) in Baton Rouge. 

You could see in Les Miles' face when asked about having to make the switch from Harris to Etling just how much it sickened/pained him to do so. 

There's something admirable about that in a way.  Believes in the guy who's been there with him and wants so desperately for him to succeed that he ignores the obvious.  A little like a parent with their kids.  My daughter wants to be a singer. Deep down I know that's highly unlikely, but I've spent a lot of time and money to give her a chance to put something together. 

This is the best surprise from last night: the productivity (and surprising speed/cut ability) of Pettway.  He and KJ are a vicious combo of power and speed.  Pettway even made a nifty little side step to avoid a LB that I wouldn't have expected from a 240lb guy at full steam.

You know who wasn't surprised?  Godfather.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

jmar

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2016, 01:52:10 AM »
Change SW to DE.  Change JJ to BH.  Change Gus to Les. 

Saw the same thing take place (other than the "not given a chance" scenario) in Baton Rouge. 

You could see in Les Miles' face when asked about having to make the switch from Harris to Etling just how much it sickened/pained him to do so. 

There's something admirable about that in a way.  Believes in the guy who's been there with him and wants so desperately for him to succeed that he ignores the obvious.  A little like a parent with their kids.  My daughter wants to be a singer. Deep down I know that's highly unlikely, but I've spent a lot of time and money to give her a chance to put something together. 

You know who wasn't surprised?  Godfather.
Maybe the Mighty Mullen's bow-up in Baton Rouge. Fournette doesn't necessarily have to play for them to win but State could hang around long enough so we can witness  Mr.Etling under the gun.

It might take a few weeks for Etling to start throwing up dying quail as Jarrett Lee did after a few good outings as the answer to their problems.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 05:47:12 AM by jmar »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions