Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

The Shame

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
The Shame
« on: July 25, 2016, 12:39:54 AM »
Sometimes you do things because you love people.  I've endured Justin Bieber, The Backstreet Boys (three different times), One Direction, some K-Pop bands  and this weekend.... Five Seconds of Summer at Oak Mountain.

I started not to even go in.  Was going to sit in my truck and watch TV on my iPad until the girls came out. But I finally decided to wander in and just see what all the screaming was about. 

I got to say that this band gets a bad rap.  They are an actual band, not a bunch of boys harmonizing and dancing all over the place.  They play instruments and do it fairly well.  There's a drummer who's got some actual chops. Two lead guitarists who can sling a little string.  There's a bassist who isn't Gene Simmons, but can play a bit. 

They're not a boy band, but unfortunately due to their association with One Direction they've been cast as such.  So their songs are insipid and ignorant.  The few times they strayed away from that, though, there were hints that they could actually be something more.  Something with a little edge.  Almost a punkish vibe.

Problem is I don't see how it works for them.  The people who buy their records are fickle screeching teenage girls.   They're not going to sell mainstream rock because they've been labeled and pigeonholed.  If they try to create an album that would live in the same universe as say, a Disturbed or even a Fall Out Boy they're going to lose the people who make them money and maybe it doesn't work.  Or they can keep riding the teenage bandwagon for a year or two until the next big thing comes along and then we can read about them in 20 years and hear all their stories of descending into drugs and depression.  Either way. 

I didn't think they were all that bad and I expected them to be utter donkey shit.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.