Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Sen. Mike Hubbard Trial Thread

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
Sen. Mike Hubbard Trial Thread
« on: May 25, 2016, 09:13:22 AM »
House Speaker Mike Hubbard made nearly $2.3 million off state position, prosecutors say

Prosecutors claimed Tuesday during opening statements in the ethics trial of Alabama House Speaker Mike Hubbard of Auburn that he illegally made nearly $2.3 million off his state position.

The defense denied any wrongdoing and called the felony indictment "a bunch of mumbo-jumbo."

A Lee County special grand jury indicted Hubbard in October 2014 on 23 felony ethics charges.

Four of the charges against Hubbard allege that he steered Republican Party money to his businesses, Craftmaster and Auburn Network, during the time he was state Republican Party chairman.

Hart explained that Hubbard bought part ownership in Craftmaster Printers in 2000. Some of the charges against Hubbard are that he directed Republican Party money to Craftmaster during the time when Hubbard was GOP state chairman.

In 2003, Hart said, Hubbard sold the broadcasting rights for Auburn athletics to IMG, and IMG retained him as a paid executive.

Seven years later, IMG sold the rights to a larger company, ISP.

Hart said Hubbard would soon learn that ISP would not retain him as a paid executive, and that Hubbard began looking for ways to replace the lost income.

Hart later described what he said were "four schemes" under which Hubbard made money in violation of the ethics law. He used the four categories to break down the 23 charges.

Prosecutors allege Hubbard used the "schemes" to direct about $1 million in Republican Party money to his businesses, to generate about $734,000 from consulting contracts, and to raise about $600,000 in investments for Craftmaster Printers.

The first "scheme," charged in the first four counts of the indictment, was that Hubbard directed Republican Party money to his businesses, Craftmaster and Auburn Network, after he became GOP state chairman in 2007.

Hart said testimony would show that Hubbard used third-party companies to direct some GOP money to his businesses, and that Hubbard also sent some party money directly to his businesses.

The second "scheme," charged in counts 5-14, Hart said, was that Hubbard used the power of his office to benefit four companies that were paying him under consulting contracts.
, and Edgenuity, an education software company.

Hart said the third "scheme," charged in counts 15-19, was that Hubbard solicited and received $150,000 each in investments for the financially troubled Craftmaster Printers from four people defined as "principals" under the ethics law.

Hubbard's lawyers have claimed the assistance from Riley, Campbell and Canary did not violate the ethics law, partly because they are all longtime Hubbard friends.

Four of the charges against Hubbard are that he used his position as chairman to direct party money to his company, Auburn Network, and Craftmaster Printers, which he partly owned.

Thoughts?  :popcorn:
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 09:24:31 AM by The Six »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
Re: Sen. Mike Hubbard Trial Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 09:40:22 AM »
It's like the mafia accusing someone of fraud. The accused is def guilty. But the accusers are much worse. He pissed off the wrong person as speaker. And that's that.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 10:03:29 AM »
Political witch hunt. 

Don't much care.  Who's behind it is more interesting to me. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

GH2001

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 10:28:58 AM »
Political witch hunt. 

Don't much care.  Who's behind it is more interesting to me.

Pretty much. Not saying he's innocent. But he's doing something they are all doing 10 x more than he is. It's like pointing to Nixon and watergate as the ultimate Presidential crime while Clinton smiles at his body count list.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 11:44:48 AM »
Pretty much. Not saying he's innocent. But he's doing something they are all doing 10 x more than he is. It's like pointing to Nixon and watergate as the ultimate Presidential crime while Clinton smiles at his body count list.

Al.com and the liberal freaks John Archibald and Kyle whitmire are pushing the media side of it. 

Take today's story.  Whitmire.

Fat cat can't live on $61,000 a year!!!!

Guess what.  I don't know that I could either. 

http://www.al.com/opinion/index.ssf/2016/05/could_you_live_off_a_part-time.html#incart_river_mobile_home

And he mentions the biggest issue of all:
When Hubbard tried to take control of the Alabama legislature from democrats...
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 11:56:17 AM by Kaos »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2016, 10:20:41 AM »
We can't let a filthy Barner join in on our schemes.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

GH2001

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2016, 10:37:38 AM »
We can't let a filthy Barner join in on our schemes.

Yes.

They are many in the state doing much much worse. And most of them pointing the finger at Hubbard are amongst them.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2016, 12:00:31 AM »
Guilty on 12 of 23 counts
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2016, 01:46:05 AM »
Guilty on 12 of 23 counts

Roe Tahd
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2016, 08:58:29 AM »
Roe Tahd

Bentley agrees.

So do several others in high places.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2016, 09:51:51 AM »

Fat cat can't live on $61,000 a year!!!!

Guess what.  I don't know that I could either. 

Well, if it cost $61,000 per year to house him in prison, then he'll have no choice. If he's bonded out until sentencing, then I hope he wears an ankle bracelet. Lotta ifs. I personally wish to see the luv guv tied to this shit.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions