Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

The Methodist Church and The LGBT's

AUTailgatingRules

• Home of the Tailgate
  • By the Pink Dumpster since 2004
The Methodist Church and The LGBT's
« on: May 19, 2016, 04:19:26 PM »
This is a good example of what bothers me most about the LGBT's.  The Methodist Conference has been going on for the last week and one of the "big" issues is gays in the church.  We keep hearing that the Methodist Church needs to join the other denominations that recognize the gays and openly accept all things gay in the Methodist Doctrine.

My question is as follows.

If there are Christian denominations that already accept gays, why do they have to force the Methodist Church into doing the same?  Why can't they simply join one of the others that accept their behavior?

http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2016/05/18/3779705/united-methodist-church-has-a-new-method/
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
Re: The Methodist Church and The LGBT's
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 04:22:32 PM »
This is a good example of what bothers me most about the LGBT's.  The Methodist Conference has been going on for the last week and one of the "big" issues is gays in the church.  We keep hearing that the Methodist Church needs to join the other denominations that recognize the gays and openly accept all things gay in the Methodist Doctrine.

My question is as follows.

If there are Christian denominations that already accept gays, why do they have to force the Methodist Church into doing the same?  Why can't they simply join one of the others that accept their behavior?

http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2016/05/18/3779705/united-methodist-church-has-a-new-method/

Cause most folks who are in the minority are not happy till they get the majority to bend to their will.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 04:41:10 PM »
I'm a member of the umc. I'm not happy about this for the very reason you stated.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

AUTailgatingRules

• Home of the Tailgate
  • By the Pink Dumpster since 2004
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 04:45:13 PM »
I'm a member of the umc. I'm not happy about this for the very reason you stated.

I really don't want to become Baptist, but I may have no choice
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2016, 04:49:54 PM »

Entire point of any religion is that they have a set of spiritual based convictions. To ask them to change them based off your social convictions, well then - what's the whole point of the church even existing? There are plenty of other groups or religions or denominations that are fine with it. The umc has historically not been in favor of it. So like you said, what in the hell sense does it make to ask them to change their lifelong beliefs for you? Especially when you have other options. I mean, we know why. But not gonna get into that shitstorm. But this goes higher than simply someone wanting equal rights or a church being accepting. There is a bigger agenda.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 07:40:16 AM »
Agenda?  Bite your tongue.  I have never heard of such heresy.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2016, 10:16:01 AM »
I identify with Lynard Skynard Baptist. It's not as strict at typical Southern Baptist.

Come on in boys. The water is fine.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Ogre

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2016, 02:26:14 PM »
Say what you will about Southern Baptists but in my opinion they are one of the handful of denominations that is staying true to the Bible during our current cultural shift.  Presbyterian (PCA, not PCUSA) is another.  Other than that, they're mostly shifting left. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2016, 11:11:25 AM »

We have cookies
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2016, 12:08:11 PM »
Say what you will about Southern Baptists but in my opinion they are one of the handful of denominations that is staying true to the Bible during our current cultural shift.  Presbyterian (PCA, not PCUSA) is another.  Other than that, they're mostly shifting left.

Us Csquareds are staying away from all that stuff too.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

GH2001

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2016, 01:38:12 PM »

I think they stay true to the uber conservative right. Not necessarily the bible. Lot of things they believe or espouse that I don't think are exactly biblical truth. But that's another argument for another day.

Presbyterians just had this same LGBT argument a year or two ago which fractured many of their churches. I like them overall but not the stance they took. PCA is good.

If the umc ends up caving to these freaks, I'll prob remain a member but consider myself non denominational at that point.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 01:40:07 PM by GH2001 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2016, 02:50:18 PM »
I think they stay true to the uber conservative right. Not necessarily the bible. Lot of things they believe or espouse that I don't think are exactly biblical truth. But that's another argument for another day.

WHUT?

Read it. Interpret it. No changing it to fit agenda.

You beef, it's tofu!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2016, 04:13:52 PM »
I identify with Lynard Skynard Baptist. It's not as strict at typical Southern Baptist.

Come on in boys. The water is fine.
There are 3 religious truths in this world: 1. Jews do not recognize Jesus as the Messiah, 2. Protestants do not recognize the Pope as the leader of the Christian faith, and 3. Baptists do not recognize each other in the liquor store.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I stood up, unzipped my pants, lowered my shorts and placed my bare ass on the window. That's the last thing I wanted those people to see of me."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2016, 04:17:11 PM »
Baptists don't screw standing up cause' they don't want anyone to think they're dancing.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2016, 07:58:45 PM »
Baptists Church of Christ members don't screw standing up cause' they don't want anyone to think they're dancing.

Fixt. Imma an ex-baptist, and I dance.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2016, 09:41:35 PM »
Know how to keep a Baptist from drinking all your beer?  Invite two Baptists. 

I grew up varying between the Episcopal and Methodist church. Settled on being a Methodist when I was about 16.  Not because of doctrine necessarily, but because of a girl. 

Stayed Methodist until recently when I sort of found myself adrift.  None of the churches here meet my needs.  One is too stodgy and dusty.  One is too country. One is too grandiose.  One is too money focused.  I went there for six straight weeks and every sermon was about giving more and how you could manage your finances better to give even more.  They were bringing Dave Ramsey in and then asking all of us to get on his plan as a church.  I think Ramsey's core idea -- don't buy more than you can afford -- is a good one.  I also believe in having money set back for emergencies.  I'd like to have about a year's worth in reserve.  But the majority of his advice is stupid. It's shortsighted and reckless in my opinion. Once heard him tell a 23 year old single mother that she should not take out school loans. Keep working her job as a waitress until she'd saved enough to pay for college herself.  That's moronic.  But I digress. 

I've tried some of the non-denominational places here. They're big and are all cults of personality.  I don't get anything out of a congregation of hundreds, giant TVs, dual drum kits and all that jazz.

I still consider myself a Methodist but I've struggled with it.  The church I used to belong to hired a single woman as pastor and she started trying to have a child.  Without a husband.  Donor and turkey baster I guess.  I wasn't down with that and probably would have balked had I not moved.   Right before I moved we had a lesbian in the choir who was bringing her girlfriend to sit in the congregation.  That didn't sit well with most of the people and when the pastor told her that sinners were welcome, but they should be actively trying to repent and change their lives.  She blew up and quit the church.  So it was in trouble. Last I saw that church (which usually had about 100 on Sundays) was down to 14.  I don't know what that has to do with anything.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Ogre

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2016, 08:42:59 AM »

I disagree.  In my experience they hold true to Biblical doctrine, which happens to coincide with conservatism in a lot of areas.  There is a new crop of pastors (like Matt Chandler, David Platt and JD Greear to name a few) who are setting the tone for the future of the denomination.  They are focused on what truly matters - reaching the lost by preaching a clear Gospel - instead of trying to be heavily involved in politics and trying to change the country through the legislative process.

I've heard it put that older Southern Baptists are more likely to see the U.S. as Israel. Younger Southern Baptists are more likely to see the U.S. as Babylon.  I think that's accurate.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions