Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

The official 2016 MLB bitch and moan thread!

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Re: The official 2016 MLB bitch and moan thread!
« Reply #260 on: October 24, 2016, 01:45:05 PM »
bartman
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #261 on: October 24, 2016, 02:05:04 PM »
bartman

What do the Simpsons have to do with beisbol?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

jmar

« Reply #262 on: October 24, 2016, 06:50:31 PM »
Cubs in 6 games.
Francona can only do so much and scratching out two wins with relievers is about all I expect.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #263 on: October 24, 2016, 07:18:58 PM »
Cubs in 6 games.
Francona can only do so much and scratching out two wins with relievers is about all I expect.

Cubs in 5.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #264 on: October 24, 2016, 09:00:56 PM »
Cubs in 3.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

« Reply #265 on: October 24, 2016, 09:59:09 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #266 on: October 24, 2016, 11:25:57 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #267 on: October 25, 2016, 08:30:42 AM »
So while we've been giving Theo a slobknob fest, can we talk about what happens if the Indians win?  Is Francona an all-time great if that happens?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #268 on: October 25, 2016, 08:51:29 AM »
So while we've been giving Theo a slobknob fest, can we talk about what happens if the Indians win?  Is Francona an all-time great if that happens?
I think so.  I truly believe the Cubs have a large edge in talent on the mound, in the field and at the plate with the one lone exception of middle relief.  However, I also think the Indians have the managerial advantage, which makes up a lot of ground.  I really like Maddon, but I believe Francona is a better manager.  He was great back in the day when he managed the Barons here in the Ham.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

« Reply #269 on: October 25, 2016, 09:05:51 AM »
I think so.  I truly believe the Cubs have a large edge in talent on the mound, in the field and at the plate with the one lone exception of middle relief.  However, I also think the Indians have the managerial advantage, which makes up a lot of ground.  I really like Maddon, but I believe Francona is a better manager.  He was great back in the day when he managed the Barons here in the Ham.

It really pisses me off that the two guys I wanted the Cards to hire when LaRussa resigned are now in the World Series.  Maddon, the life long Cards fan, and Francona, who is one of the best in the game.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #270 on: October 25, 2016, 09:10:54 AM »
@jaysonst

I find this amazing. If Jon Lester wins tonight, he'll be just the 2nd starter to win Gm 1 of a WS for 2 teams. The other: Jack Morris
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #271 on: October 25, 2016, 11:02:13 AM »
Kyle Schwarber is officially added to the Cubs WS roster.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #272 on: October 25, 2016, 11:09:01 AM »
Kyle Schwarber is officially added to the Cubs WS roster.
Haven't read anything about him having any minor league stints.  I have to wonder if this will turn out to be a good or bad move, all things considered.  I hope he can contribute as a DH, but I wonder if his timing is there.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #273 on: October 25, 2016, 11:23:37 AM »
Haven't read anything about him having any minor league stints.  I have to wonder if this will turn out to be a good or bad move, all things considered.  I hope he can contribute as a DH, but I wonder if his timing is there.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/scouting-kyle-schwarbers-arizona-fall-league-appearance/

Scouting Kyle Schwarber’s Arizona Fall League Appearance

by Eric Longenhagen - October 24, 2016

Hours before hell froze over in Chicago in Saturday, Kyle Schwarber was added to the Mesa Solar Sox taxi squad and immediately cast into action as the team’s designated hitter that night at Sloan Park in Mesa.

His presence in the lineup was significant in a way that’s unusual for the Fall League. Most of the participants here are prospects benefiting from extra developmental time against reasonably advanced minor-league competition. Schwarber, on the other hand, is more or less auditioning for a a place on the Cubs’ World Series roster. When he stepped to the plate on Saturday, it represented his first place appearance in a professional game since suffering a knee injury on April 7. That injury was originally characterized as a “season-ending” one. But the Cubs’ season hasn’t ended yet, and Schwarber remains a candidate to contribute to it.

Below are my thoughts on his performance.

Schwarber went 0-for-3 with a walk, the 0 consisting of two weak ground outs to the right side and a well struck ball to the right-center-field gap that seemed destined for extra bases off the bat but was robbed by Rockies prospect Noel Cuevas. The least flattering aspect of Schwarber’s evening was his timing. He was out on his front foot against offspeed stuff a few times, which led to some of the evening’s weak contact and he missed a few other hittable pitches.

Physically, Schwarber’s bat speed looked fine. His swing lacked explosion during the game, but he was putting a charge into the baseball during batting practice, and I think his in-game issues were probably more a result of ill timing than physical discomfort. If you have a tinfoil hat nearby, you can put it on and wonder if Schwarber was apt to get his weight forward onto his front foot so to avoid putting weight on the rear knee (which is the one in which he tore ligaments), but even when healthy Schwarber is often caught out on his front foot. One of the things that makes him special is his ability to adjust and use his strength and hand-eye coordination to make solid contact anyway.

Schwarber didn’t run hard on either of his ground outs, nor on the ball he hit to the outfield (which you can see in the video above), but it doesn’t make sense for him to push his knee in exhibition and if he’s added to the Cubs roster it will be because he’s capable of hitting. After the game, he stood on the field and chatted with the media before walking to a golf cart beyond the outfield with a trainer. He then rode the cart to the Cubs offices, where this ensued. Nobody seems too concerned about that guy’s knee in that video.

Based on what I’ve seen so far, I don’t think Schwarber is physically or technically back to 100%. That said, he took quality at-bats — despite some mediocre swings — and has quickly regained feel for the strike zone. I think most of the power is already back, he’ll just have to regain his feel for hitting to tap into it. Whether or not he will is difficult to say; I’ll be looking for progress on Monday afternoon when Schwarber is expected to be in Mesa’s lineup once again. I think he’d already probably give the Cubs better at-bats than either Jorge Soler or Chris Coghlan have so far this postseason, to say nothing of the potential impact he could have if he finds his timing quickly.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #274 on: October 25, 2016, 01:17:42 PM »
http://www.cleveland.com/tribe/index.ssf/2016/06/post_451.html

This is shaping up to be a really fun world series.

Mike Napoli, Jason Kipnis bring Jobu back to Cleveland Indians' clubhouse

CLEVELAND, Ohio – Jobu is back in the Indians' locker room.

In the movie Major League, Indians fictional slugger Pedro Cerrano prayed to Jobu, his voodoo statue, so his bats could hit the curveball. It's unclear what real Indians Jason Kipnis and Mike Napoli do in front of their Jobu shrine, but one has been built in the empty locker between them in the far corner of the Tribe's clubhouse.

A sweater with a picture of Jobu and the inscription, "It is very bad to drink Jobu's rum. Very bad," hangs in the locker. The also contains two Jobu statues with small bottles of rum placed between them.

Not sure if there's a connection, but the Indians were wearing "Party at Napoli's' T-shirts for batting practice Tuesday.

Napoli said his agent gave him one of the Jobu statues and the sweater in spring training. Kipnis recently added another Jobu statue to the shrine, that was recently constructed in the Progressive Field locker room.

"We've had Jobu there for a little bit," said Kipnis, after Tuesday's 6-0 victory over the Rays. "He's been working. He didn't like the first airport vodka we left him. So we tried Bacardi (rum) and that seems to be working.

"Right now it's working so we're not going to mess with what works."

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #275 on: October 25, 2016, 02:17:23 PM »
That is awesome.  Hey bartender!  Jobu needs a refill!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #277 on: October 25, 2016, 10:54:35 PM »
I have no dog in this fight.  None at all.  If I had to say who I hope will win, I'd say the Cubs.  Why?  Because I stepped off the L-Train and saw Wrigley.  That's the extent of it. 

That being said, those picking the Cubs to win this better pump yo brakes.  Cleveland is damn good.  Solid in every single phase. I see this going 7.  And a dog fight in every game. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #278 on: October 25, 2016, 10:55:35 PM »
To quote Rossy, "That guy's slider is nasty."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #279 on: October 25, 2016, 11:01:31 PM »
Why is Miller in so early?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions