Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

The official 2016 MLB bitch and moan thread!

Re: The official 2016 MLB bitch and moan thread!
« Reply #80 on: May 05, 2016, 03:02:04 PM »
The inevitable World Series Champion Cubs, have a pitcher doing some fairly remarkable things.  Maybe you've heard of him...Jake Areola.  Right now, the best pitcher on CLEARLY the best team in baseball (You know, the team that's going to win the WS)is 6-0 with an ERA of 0.84.  The one stat that I heard today on Mike & Mike is in his last 26 starts, he has more no-hitters (2) than losses (1).  And that loss happened because Cole Hamels threw his own no-hitter against the Cubs that day.

I think you can already pencil him in as the World Series Day 1 starter.  It will be good to see him pitch that ONE game in the World Series since the Cubbies are going to take the series 4-0.

The rest of St Louis would kill me to say this, but he's entering in Gibby 1968 territory.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #81 on: May 05, 2016, 03:10:38 PM »
It's gotta be the PEDs that Stephen A. Smith has been providing.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #82 on: May 05, 2016, 03:23:25 PM »
The rest of St Louis would kill me to say this, but he's entering in Gibby 1968 territory.

That was mentioned too on Mike & Mike.  The difference in Gibson and Arrietta is if you got a hit off BG, you could be pretty sure on your next at bat, you were getting one about 95 in the ear hole.  Mean sumbitch on the bump.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 03:29:33 PM by Snaggletiger »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #83 on: May 05, 2016, 03:34:40 PM »
Speaking of "Hoot", here's a quote from Dusty Baker.  (wiki's so he said it for real)

"(Hank Aaron told me) 'Don't dig in against Bob Gibson, he'll knock you down. He'd knock down his own grandmother if she dared to challenge him. Don't stare at him, don't smile at him, don't talk to him. He doesn't like it. If you happen to hit a home run, don't run too slow, don't run too fast. If you happen to want to celebrate, get in the tunnel first. And if he hits you, don't charge the mound, because he's a Gold Glove boxer.' I'm like, 'Damn, what about my 17-game hitting streak?' That was the night it ended."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #84 on: May 06, 2016, 08:26:03 AM »

Or in the juiced ball era, Maddux

No not because he was a brave but what he did on the mound at a time when people were blasting the ball is amazing.

Agree that Gibson year could be best all time.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

« Reply #85 on: May 06, 2016, 10:21:27 AM »
Speaking of "Hoot", here's a quote from Dusty Baker.  (wiki's so he said it for real)

"(Hank Aaron told me) 'Don't dig in against Bob Gibson, he'll knock you down. He'd knock down his own grandmother if she dared to challenge him. Don't stare at him, don't smile at him, don't talk to him. He doesn't like it. If you happen to hit a home run, don't run too slow, don't run too fast. If you happen to want to celebrate, get in the tunnel first. And if he hits you, don't charge the mound, because he's a Gold Glove boxer.' I'm like, 'Damn, what about my 17-game hitting streak?' That was the night it ended."

That's one of my favorite Gibson stories.

Also, when McCarver would come out to the mound, Gibson would turn to him and say "What are you doing out here, the only thing you know about my pitching is that you can't hit it."  And then McCarver would go back to the plate.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #86 on: May 06, 2016, 10:22:36 AM »
Or in the juiced ball era, Maddux

Not a Braves fan, but anytime he was pitching, I would watch.  Proved that you don't have to be a 95 mph fastball thrower to have success.  It's location, location, location, and he could locate with the greatest.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #87 on: May 06, 2016, 10:26:38 AM »
That's one of my favorite Gibson stories.

Also, when McCarver would come out to the mound, Gibson would turn to him and say "What are you doing out here, the only thing you know about my pitching is that you can't hit it."  And then McCarver would go back to the plate.

:classic:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #88 on: May 06, 2016, 10:40:57 AM »
Agree that Gibson year could be best all time.

In 1968, Gibson threw over 304 innings! Not only that, but in those 304 innings pitched, he allowed 38 Earned Runs. his translates into a 1.12 ERA. He pitched 13 shut outs as well as tallying 28 complete games.  He led the league with 268K’s and an unheard of 0.85 WHIP. It may have been lower save the Intentional Base on Balls (6) and the hit batsmen… which were most likely intentional as well.

Not only did he lead his team to a World Series berth in 1968, he was the MVP, Cy Young award winner and topped it off with a gold glove. A true dominant performance in every sense of the word. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #89 on: May 06, 2016, 10:51:17 AM »
In 1968, Gibson threw over 304 innings! Not only that, but in those 304 innings pitched, he allowed 38 Earned Runs. his translates into a 1.12 ERA. He pitched 13 shut outs as well as tallying 28 complete games.  He led the league with 268K’s and an unheard of 0.85 WHIP. It may have been lower save the Intentional Base on Balls (6) and the hit batsmen… which were most likely intentional as well.

Not only did he lead his team to a World Series berth in 1968, he was the MVP, Cy Young award winner and topped it off with a gold glove. A true dominant performance in every sense of the word.

Pretty good, but he was no Rick Camp.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #90 on: May 07, 2016, 02:55:41 AM »
So the Cubs keep pounding away to go 22-6 against the Nationals who have the 2nd best record thus far. Who has the 3rd best record? Well, it's the club across by the name of the White Sox. Seriously, did hell freeze over?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #91 on: May 07, 2016, 03:05:20 AM »
Well, it's the club across by the name of the White Sox. Seriously, did hell freeze over?

Nah, they have a world series in all of our lifetimes.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #92 on: May 07, 2016, 10:40:07 AM »
Nah, they have a world series in all of our lifetimes.

Incomiiiiinnnng!!!!!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #93 on: May 17, 2016, 11:28:45 AM »
Multiple outlets are reporting that Atlanta Braves have fired manager Fredi Gonzalez. The team has an MLB-worst record at 9-28.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #94 on: May 17, 2016, 11:38:12 AM »
Multiple outlets are reporting that Atlanta Braves have fired manager Fredi Gonzalez. The team has an MLB-worst record at 9-28.

Sad part is I think this was by design. Although he isn't a great mgr, no mgr would have done much better with the hand he's been dealt. But again, I think that was the plan. Tank the team, rebuild it and as a side, they'll be bad enough to warrant firing Freddie who I think they regretted hiring after a year or two in.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #95 on: May 17, 2016, 12:05:34 PM »
Sad part is I think this was by design. Although he isn't a great mgr, no mgr would have done much better with the hand he's been dealt. But again, I think that was the plan. Tank the team, rebuild it and as a side, they'll be bad enough to warrant firing Freddie who I think they regretted hiring after a year or two in.

Agree with this.  You can't gut the entire team and start over with basically a AAA squad and hold the manager accountable.  Also agree I don't think much of him as a manager but at least let him ride this disaster out.  What good does replacing him do? 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #96 on: May 17, 2016, 02:59:48 PM »
On the lighter side, Mr. Bautista got beyotch slapped the other day.  I did not see the whole thing that led up to this, but from what I've heard from the talking heads, Bautista got plunked...began running his mouth when he got to first...and as you'll see on the "slide" into second base, tried to take out Odor.

Now, I'm old school when it comes to the biesbols.  The hard slide into second to upend the fielder is just part of the game.  But, the rules have been changed to the point that it's a no-no.  And to be fair, Bautista didn't really even start his slide until he got to the base.  And from listening to Buster Olney this morning, Bautista is not a very well liked individual among MLB players anyway so he guessed Odor got many a congratulatory text from around the league.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chinook

« Reply #97 on: May 17, 2016, 03:04:29 PM »
On the lighter side, Mr. Bautista got beyotch slapped the other day.  I did not see the whole thing that led up to this, but from what I've heard from the talking heads, Bautista got plunked...began running his mouth when he got to first...and as you'll see on the "slide" into second base, tried to take out Odor.

Now, I'm old school when it comes to the biesbols.  The hard slide into second to upend the fielder is just part of the game.  But, the rules have been changed to the point that it's a no-no.  And to be fair, Bautista didn't really even start his slide until he got to the base.  And from listening to Buster Olney this morning, Bautista is not a very well liked individual among MLB players anyway so he guessed Odor got many a congratulatory text from around the league.

that is awesome.  my fantasy team has players like Odor...wait, what? 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #98 on: May 17, 2016, 03:28:06 PM »

Bautista got on first because he was hit by a pitch. The he slid into second and then he got bitched.

Seriously, it took them 10 minutes to get both teams back to the dugouts. Hell, even the managers were about to go at it. This has been brewing since last years post season.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #99 on: May 17, 2016, 04:32:59 PM »
At least one of the local teams knows how to hit someone hard.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'