Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Nirvana

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
Re: Nirvana
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2016, 02:17:34 PM »

I agree.  I like Nirvana, but PJ to me was a much better group.  Nirvana came on scene at the right time and opened the doors for a lot better groups.  That decade did have the best music IMO, but that was my coming of age time.  I'm sure some of you old bastards would say the same about your own era of music.

Don't necessarily disagree that Pearl Jam was the better band, but that's like saying Stryper had better musicians than KISS.  Maybe they did, but the impact of the two was vastly different.

Jeremy was a good song, a little different and so mumbly I don't think anybody knows the words. 

Teen Spirit was transformative.  That song almost singlehandedly turned the direction of music away from the Poison, Twisted Sister, White Lion, Slaughter, Hanoi Rocks, Bon Jovi, Winger -- and yes, even KISS and Motley Crue -- pop rock that had taken hold in the 80s.  It helped change American tastes when it came out in 1991.  It helped boost the career of Guns and Roses and it opened the door to Alice in Chains, Seether, Bush, Green Day (bleh), Blink 182 and a whole new musical direction.  The day that song hit the airwaves? 

This?

It was dead.  Dead, dead, dead, dead, dead. 

This? 

Almost overnight became this:

KISS even released an album that matched up well with the sound of the times (and is one of my favorite KISS CDs) but it was overshadowed and overwhelmed by the Reunion Tour and most people have forgotten it. 

Note the very grunge look and feel. Released in 1997.

This reflects what KISS could have been had it not been trying to be KISS.  No silly songs about Gene's dick or Paul's lady maneuvers or any of that.  No pop, just strong grunge rock.  Very undervalued album and one I hate that most fans missed.  I love it.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2016, 02:23:52 PM »
It helped boost the career of Guns and Roses

Agree with everything you say, except this one.  Didn't Use Your Illusion I and II come out prior to Nevermind?  GnR didn't put shit out that was any good after those two albums.

This is about the time I went into boot camp.  Went in, and everyone was jacked about the new GNR albums coming out.  Get out of Boot, and even the radio station I listed to in New Orleans had changed from glam metal to grunge.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2016, 02:48:59 PM »
Agree with everything you say, except this one.  Didn't Use Your Illusion I and II come out prior to Nevermind?  GnR didn't put shit out that was any good after those two albums.

This is about the time I went into boot camp.  Went in, and everyone was jacked about the new GNR albums coming out.  Get out of Boot, and even the radio station I listed to in New Orleans had changed from glam metal to grunge.

Nevermind was 1991.  Sweet Child didn't really make the heavy rotation until 1989.  Not saying GNR wouldn't have been something and I don't remember when illusion came out. Probably wrong but just felt like GNR benefitted from the change in musical climate.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2016, 03:08:47 PM »
Nevermind was 1991.  Sweet Child didn't really make the heavy rotation until 1989.  Not saying GNR wouldn't have been something and I don't remember when illusion came out. Probably wrong but just felt like GNR benefitted from the change in musical climate.

Def wrong.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2016, 03:47:10 PM »
Yep I was screaming the lyrics to "Paradise City" in Subic Bay bars in late '88.   

Fuck I'm old.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2016, 03:52:53 PM »
Yep I was screaming the lyrics to "Paradise City" in Subic Bay bars in late '88.   

Fuck I'm old.

Def correct.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2016, 04:01:53 PM »

Fuck I'm old.

Seoul South Korea, bar downtown, 4 ladies singing free ride (foghat.) 1980 something.

Flea ride, take it eajey.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

dallaswareagle

« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2016, 11:11:33 AM »
So, they sung in English better than you spell in it.

No, that is how they pronounced it. Here, let me help you out, I was in Korea, the band was Korean, so they had an accent.

Understand?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2016, 12:59:05 PM »
No, that is how they pronounced it. Here, let me help you out, I was in Korea, the band was Korean, so they had an accent.

Understand?

That's some bullshit right there.  You weren't on MASH.  I would have seen it. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2016, 01:23:50 PM »
That's some bullshit right there.  You weren't on MASH.  I would have seen it.

Dude: I am old, but even I ain't that old. :getoff:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions