Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Official 2016 Signing Day Thread

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Re: Official 2016 Signing Day Thread
« Reply #140 on: February 04, 2016, 11:49:03 AM »
Here's a small bit from a piece by Matt Scalisi.  I think this says exactly where we're at with Malzahn and this program.  You did great.  But so did everybody else we play.  You gots the Jimmy's and Joe's.  Do you gots the X's and O's?

When we carry that over to the highly-competitive SEC, it means that finishing in the top 10 doesn't necessarily mean you got a leg up on your rivals.

Case in point: Auburn. The Tigers finished with an impressive fourth-straight top 10 recruiting class. The bad news? Auburn's class was ranked fifth in the SEC. All four of the teams that ranked higher than Auburn are on the Tigers' schedule every year. Can Auburn make up the difference with coaching when its players arrive on campus this August? The answer could determine the fate of the Gus Malzahn Era on the plains.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #141 on: February 04, 2016, 12:07:23 PM »
Here's where the SEC landed (To this point) in the 247 rankings.  I included Clemson just because we play them.  Want to come play in the SEC?  Come getchu' some.

1.  UA
3.  LSU
6.  OM
7.  UGA
9.  AU
10. Dabo's
13. UF
14. UT
18. TAMU
25. Arky
26. USCe
31. MSU
34. UK
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

jmar

« Reply #142 on: February 04, 2016, 12:24:02 PM »
Here's a small bit from a piece by Matt Scalisi.  I think this says exactly where we're at with Malzahn and this program.  You did great.  But so did everybody else we play.  You gots the Jimmy's and Joe's.  Do you gots the X's and O's?

When we carry that over to the highly-competitive SEC, it means that finishing in the top 10 doesn't necessarily mean you got a leg up on your rivals.

Case in point: Auburn. The Tigers finished with an impressive fourth-straight top 10 recruiting class. The bad news? Auburn's class was ranked fifth in the SEC. All four of the teams that ranked higher than Auburn are on the Tigers' schedule every year. Can Auburn make up the difference with coaching when its players arrive on campus this August? The answer could determine the fate of the Gus Malzahn Era on the plains.
He told the truth but he's an ardent Bamer schill.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #143 on: February 04, 2016, 12:37:45 PM »
He told the truth but he's an ardent Bamer schill.

Yeah, I didn't take that in any negative light.  That's just reality.  We recruit top 10, but so does everyone else.  Now, it's up to the staff to take them to the next level.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #144 on: February 04, 2016, 12:37:58 PM »
Here's where the SEC landed (To this point) in the 247 rankings.  I included Clemson just because we play them.  Want to come play in the SEC?  Come getchu' some.

1.  UA
3.  LSU
6.  OM
7.  UGA
9.  AU
10. Dabo's
13. UF
14. UT
18. TAMU
25. Arky
26. USCe
31. MSU
34. UK

MSU got beatdown worse than Buzz at a dumbass convention.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #145 on: February 04, 2016, 03:07:58 PM »
MSU got beatdown worse than Buzz at a dumbass convention.
I really wish that you would not talk this way about MSU.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #146 on: February 04, 2016, 03:56:04 PM »
The bolded parts from this dot  I am a gay twerker that has no balls!!!!  I also have no idea how to use the quote function to post stories, so I annoy the piss out of others.  I like male genatalia in and around my mouth. piece make me moist.  #1 class?  Yep.  And a 6'6" 269 pound wrestler?  Yep.  Coe's film shows his tall ass shooting through the line and crushing hapless ball carriers.   :thumsup: 

Gus Malzahn has a class filled with four-star signees.

He secured his fourth straight top 10 class Wednesday with a group filling needs at quarterback, the defensive line, receiver and in the secondary.

Five-star defensive tackle Derrick Brown and four-star receiver Nate Craig-Myers announced Wednesday their commitments -- and later signed -- with Auburn. They stole the show, and with nine signees already enrolled in classes, some others have been overshadowed as well.

But there are two players Malzahn believes could prove to be under-the-radar signees in his 21-man signing class.

"(Receiver) Eli Stove, off the top of my head," Malzahn said. "There's a lot of guys. (Defensive tackle) Nick Coe is a guy I think is going to be a phenomenal player, probably a little under the radar."

Stove was rated the nation's No. 20 receiver by 247Sports' composite rankings, but he ranks (on paper) as the No. 3 receiver in Auburn's four-receiver haul. The 6-foot, 175-pound Stove, however, might be the most elusive player on the football field next fall. He was also an Under Armour All-American.

"He's a phenomenal player," Malzahn said.

Coe is part of a six-man defensive line class Scout.com ranks No. 1 in the country. He was rated the 13th-best strongside defensive end in the country by 247Sports and accumulated seven sacks at Asheboro (North Carolina) High School last season.

You want quick moves? He won two wrestling events at national tournaments in 2015.

"A lot of that 1-on-1 competitiveness from wrestling drives him on the football field," Asheboro High coach Owen George told AL.com in December. "He wants to win every 1-on-1 rep from the guy across the field. He plays with great leverage, plays with his hands and he's very active."

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #147 on: February 04, 2016, 04:26:56 PM »
"A lot of that 1-on-1 competitiveness from wrestling drives him on the football field," Asheboro High coach Owen George told AL.com in December. "He wants to win every 1-on-1 rep from the guy across the field. He plays with great leverage, plays with his hands and he's very active."

Lets hope he never gets double teamed.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #148 on: February 04, 2016, 04:39:02 PM »
Lets hope he never gets double teamed.

If he can play football I don't care what he does in his off time.  :gig:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #149 on: February 04, 2016, 04:40:24 PM »

If he can play football I don't care what he does in his off time.  :gig:

You gotta pay double for that kind of action, Cotton.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #150 on: February 04, 2016, 04:56:03 PM »
You gotta pay double for that kind of action, Cotton.

For some of us it would take a million bucks for double the action.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #151 on: February 04, 2016, 06:14:02 PM »

For some of us it would take a million bucks for double the action.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #152 on: February 04, 2016, 07:51:29 PM »
I'm in love with this class.

Seems like we sold out for an RB or a single WR in the past.  All "athlete" shine.

This class went hard on the DL, went bonanza on the WRs and we still got some DB, OL and WR help.  Oh...and we got two strong contenders to compete with the QBs.

Eat dicks, haterzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #153 on: February 04, 2016, 08:04:30 PM »
I'm in love with this class.

Seems like we sold out for an RB or a single WR in the past.  All "athlete" shine.

This class went hard on the DL, went bonanza on the WRs and we still got some DB, OL and WR help.  Oh...and we got two strong contenders to compete with the QBs.

Eat dicks, haterzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Couldn't have said it any better. Work has had me quite the busy man to really reflect on yesterday but, what said...well, says it all. The coaches went after exactly who they wanted to fill what they wanted. Missed on a few but who cares. This class is loaded with the kind of talent where spots needed to be filled.

If there was a ranking on the best needs met with top talent, AU would be #1.

Also, last years class was filled with talent that hasn't seen much playing time, especially OL. Wasn't the Auburn OL class last year #1?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #154 on: February 04, 2016, 08:12:42 PM »

Also, last years class was filled with talent that hasn't seen much playing time, especially OL. Wasn't the Auburn OL class last year #1?

This is where we'll part ways.  The whole crowd screaming about depth isn't looking at the RS list from last year.  We red-shirted almost an entire roster last year.  And they are fucking GOOD players.  I think the public is going to be surprised by the talent that gets to come off the bench this season by simple virtue of their RS coming off their jersey.

My stance remains: The injury/dismissal bug was HUGE last year (can't think of any team in any other year that dealt with the losses we took); returning/injured players are amazing...RS hitting the field are crazy talented...Early Enrollees are looking like badasses.  If a couple of True Frosh (and I'm not counting on a single one) can contribute then we have icing on the motherfucking cake.

We play in the most difficult division in college football...but if we aren't in the top 3 (in conference...our schedule is BRUTAL) then I'll be very disappointed.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #155 on: February 04, 2016, 08:23:41 PM »
This is where we'll part ways.  The whole crowd screaming about depth isn't looking at the RS list from last year.  We red-shirted almost an entire roster last year.  And they are fucking GOOD players.  I think the public is going to be surprised by the talent that gets to come off the bench this season by simple virtue of their RS coming off their jersey.

My stance remains: The injury/dismissal bug was HUGE last year (can't think of any team in any other year that dealt with the losses we took); returning/injured players are amazing...RS hitting the field are crazy talented...Early Enrollees are looking like badasses.  If a couple of True Frosh (and I'm not counting on a single one) can contribute then we have icing on the motherfucking cake.

We play in the most difficult division in college football...but if we aren't in the top 3 (in conference...our schedule is BRUTAL) then I'll be very disappointed.

All of this is what I was eluding to. Auburn has signed 4 Top 10 classes in a row. Thinking about this years class has me reflecting on last years. It seems that was another crazy good with only a very I can remember hearing their names called. Sure, some will be weeded out but percentages tell me that Auburn fans will be in for a pleasant surprise by some recent recruits that we have forgotten about.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #156 on: February 04, 2016, 08:26:57 PM »
2015 Class was a pretty damn good class.

Byron Cowart
Video | Scouts Report
ESPN 300
#1 DE   Seffner, FL
Armwood High School   6'4''   258      93   
AUBURN
SIGNED

Kerryon Johnson
Video | Scouts Report
ESPN 300
#3 ATH   Madison, AL
Madison Academy   6'0''   200      90   
AUBURN
SIGNED

Jeffery Holland
Video | Scouts Report
ESPN 300
#4 OLB   Jacksonville, FL
Trinity Christian Academy   6'2''   226      86   
AUBURN
SIGNED

Richard McBryde
Video | Scouts Report
ESPN 300
#6 OLB   Troy, AL
Charles Henderson High School   6'2''   210      84   
AUBURN
SIGNED

Jordan Colbert
Video | Scouts Report
ESPN 300
#9 OLB   Griffin, GA
Griffin High School   6'3''   205      83   
AUBURN
SIGNED

Jovon Robinson
Video | Scouts Report
ESPN JC 50
#1 RB (JC)   Memphis, TN
Georgia Military College   6'0''   220      83   
AUBURN
SIGNED

Darius Slayton
Video | Scouts Report
ESPN 300
#18 CB   Norcross, GA
Greater Atlanta Christian School   6'1''   180      81   
AUBURN
SIGNED

Bailey Sharp
Video | Scouts Report
ESPN 300
#18 OT   Marietta, GA
Sprayberry High School   6'5''   282      81   
AUBURN
SIGNED

Darrell Williams
Video | Scouts Report
ESPN 300
#12 OLB   Birmingham, AL
Hoover High School   6'3''   226      81   
AUBURN
SIGNED

Kaleb Kim
Video | Scouts Report
ESPN 300
#17 OG   Hoschton, GA
Mill Creek High School   6'4''   280      81   
AUBURN
SIGNED

Ryan Davis
Video | Scouts Report
ESPN 300
#22 ATH   Saint Petersburg, FL
Lakewood Senior High School   5'10''   157      81   
AUBURN
SIGNED

Jason Smith
Video | Scouts Report
ESPN JC 50
#1 ATH (JC)   Mobile, AL
Mississippi Gulf Coast Comm College   6'1''   195      81   
AUBURN
SIGNED

Mike Horton
Video | Scouts Report
ESPN 300
#23 OG   Atlanta, GA
Lakeside High School   6'5''   318      80   
AUBURN
SIGNED

Marquel Harrell
Video | Scouts Report
ESPN 300
#25 OG   Fairburn, GA
Creekside High School   6'3''   310      80   
AUBURN
SIGNED

Prince Tega Wanogho Jr.
Video | Scouts Report
#26 DE   Elmore, AL
Edgewood Academy   6'8''   240      80   
AUBURN
SIGNED

Tyler Carr
Video | Scouts Report
#30 OG   Gadsden, AL
Southside High School   6'6''   316      80   
AUBURN
SIGNED

Tyler Queen
Video | Scouts Report
#17 QB-PP   Kennesaw, GA
North Cobb High School   6'2''   237      80   
AUBURN
SIGNED

Tim Irvin
Video | Scouts Report
#34 ATH   Palmetto, FL
Westminster Christian School   5'9''   190      80   
AUBURN
SIGNED

Carlton Davis
Video | Scouts Report
#39 S   Miami, FL
Miami Norland High School   6'1''   182      79   
AUBURN
SIGNED

Montavious Atkinson
Video | Scouts Report
#34 OLB   Fairburn, GA
Langston Hughes High School   6'1''   189      78   
AUBURN
SIGNED

Chandler Cox
Video | Scouts Report
#10 TE-H   Apopka, FL
Apopka High School   6'1''   227      78   
AUBURN
SIGNED

Jalen Harris
Video | Scouts Report
#14 TE-Y   Montgomery, AL
Saint James School   6'5''   236      78   
AUBURN
SIGNED

Javarius Davis
Video | Scouts Report
#70 ATH   Jacksonville, FL
Ed H. White High School   5'9''   173      78   
AUBURN
SIGNED

Jauntavius Johnson
Video | Scouts Report
#56 DT   Lincoln, AL
Lincoln High School   6'3''   330      77   
AUBURN
SIGNED

Maurice Swain
Video | Scouts Report
#9 DT (JC)   LaGrange, GA
Mississippi Gulf Coast Comm College   6'5''   300      77   
AUBURN
SIGNED

Ian Shannon
Video | Scouts Report
#5 K   Marietta, GA
Marietta High School   6'3''   205      76   
AUBURN
SIGNED

Jeremiah Dinson
Video | Scouts Report
#95 CB   Miami, FL
American High School   5'11''   180      73   
AUBURN
SIGNED
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #157 on: February 04, 2016, 09:10:58 PM »
You guys are right.
We signed four offensive linemen and four linebackers last season. Easy to forget just how good you have to be to see much action in this league as a frosh.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #158 on: February 04, 2016, 09:22:46 PM »
Really interested to see if Jauntavius Johnson progressed in his RS year.  Hit the weights etc.  We were pretty light across the down linemen last year, but if Johnson can get in the rotation along with either Brown or Jackson, we're suddenly pretty stout up the middle. 

I'm not worried about the depth at LB.  They did sign a great LB class last year (3 actual LB's. Montavious Atkinson is a DB now listed at 183) and put the RS on two of them.  Along with Deshaun Davis, I think you have 5 that can kick ass in this league.  RB not so much.  The numbers are okay.  If Jovon stays healthy, we're solid.  He goes down, there's question marks.  Dispense with the sunshine pumping.  You've got

Jovon
Roc
Carry On
Malik

I think Roc can be an every down back.  A little small but the only thing that worries me is it appears the coaches haven't had that much faith in him.  Not sure why.  He does have the ability. 

Kerryon.  Definite playmaker.  Wish he had gotten the rock more.   But, he's maybe 195 soaking wet. If he's called on to get the carries, is he going to be able to pound it up the middle on every first down....as Malzahn has this ever so slight tendency to do? 

Malik.  True freshman. Unknown.  Injured most of last year.  Has the physical tools to be a beast.

I'm not singing the blues by any means.  Like I said, if JR stays healthy, we're golden.  If not, a lot of questions remain.  You can't feel totally skippy about the depth at RB when you signed 1 each of the last 2 years and one on the current roster bolted for the NFL.     
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #159 on: February 04, 2016, 10:54:25 PM »
Funny...no rivals (IRL) are particularly incensed about these recruiting classes.

Everyone seems to think that they did well and filled needs.

Even the LSU fans who were ready to crucify Les are mollified by the solid class.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions