Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Fear of a Black Cam

Re: Fear of a Black Cam
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2016, 06:59:57 AM »
I like it. I'm hoping he starts pulling out sharpies and signs footballs. Also, I liked it when Terrell Owens stomped on the Star, fuck the Cowboys.

I for one, apparently, hopes that he dances, dabs, Supermans and smiles all around the field after winning the Superbowl.

How dare he act like he enjoys scoring TDs and winning...he needs to grow up and stop enjoying the game like he's still in park ball.

I agree. Maybe I haven't seen the right clips, but I haven't seen Cam do that much to disrespect other players. He talks trash. Yeah. He does. A lot. And he's good at it.

But how many other players have been lauded for talking trash? Here's a video from the NFL that celebrates the best trash talkers in the league: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/09000d5d82084d7e/Biggest-trash-talkers

Cam plays QB, so many expect he's supposed to be part of the country club crowd.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2016, 08:39:58 AM »
Posted this on woopig...seems germane to this discussion:

Had Cam not attended Auburn, I might dislike the guy, too.

My consternation would be with the little celebrations over mundane accomplishments.  You're an all-pro...you're supposed to get first downs.

That said, I always gave guys like Deion, TO and Ochocinco a bit of a pass because it was so fun to watch them play at their highest level (a few floors above everyone on the field at that moment).  I shrugged off the celebrations because they were backing up the boast.  They earned the right to dance and act a fool.

Since I have watched Cam closely the past 5-6 years, especially all the work with kids, I've decided he's just a really big kid at heart.  I think he's genuinely excited by those little accomplishments and his celebration is not intended to taunt the defense, but to celebrate the moment.

Or maybe I'm just rationalizing and would be hater #1 if he had gone to any other school.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2016, 09:05:54 AM »
The cot damn Germans ain't got nothing to do with this.

Agreed though.  I think he really is just a big ol' kid.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

wesfau2

« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2016, 09:16:36 AM »

Cam plays QB, so many expect he's supposed to be part of the country club crowd.

I think this has a lot to do with it as well.  Black QBs are often discounted as "athletes", implying that they don't have the mental capacity for the position.  This opinion is largely held by the old guard (read: decrepit white men) who are uncomfortable with the evolution of the game.  The traditional QB was a thoughtful white guy who had quiet reserve and a steely demeanor.  The "John Wayne" of the field, if you will.

Enter the Django-esque black QBs: Culpepper, Vick, Cam, etc.  They not only have to perform on the field, but they must also toe the line and give their best Carlton Banks impersonation to win the favor of the aforementioned old guard.  Those who don't are castigated.

I think it's great how the media narrative is now turning: Cam is gaining traction in the media (Cowherd is a huge supporter) and the haters are being exposed as bitter reactionaries.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2016, 09:55:26 AM »
I agree. Maybe I haven't seen the right clips, but I haven't seen Cam do that much to disrespect other players. He talks trash. Yeah. He does. A lot. And he's good at it.

But how many other players have been lauded for talking trash? Here's a video from the NFL that celebrates the best trash talkers in the league: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/09000d5d82084d7e/Biggest-trash-talkers

I agree with Townhall for agreeing with Prowler.

Can't believe some of the shit coming from our own fans, even if you do qualify it with "I'd feel that way if he wasn't one of our own".

When did half this board become Nolan Nawrocki?

“Very disingenuous — has a fake smile, comes off as very scripted and has a selfish, me-first makeup,”

“Always knows where the cameras are and plays to them. Has an enormous ego with a sense of entitlement that continually invites trouble and makes him believe he is above the law — does not command respect from teammates and will always struggle to win a locker room . . . Lacks accountability, focus and trustworthiness — is not punctual, seeks shortcuts and sets a bad example. Immature and has had issues with authority. Not dependable.”

Are y'all telling me y'all agree with this load of horseshit now? Heaven forbid a professional football player look like he's enjoying what he's doing out there. Heaven forbid he celebrate, which is an actual part of the pro game. Heaven forbid he "fake" smile. Jesus Christ, people, what happened to y'all over the last five years? Who hurt you?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2016, 09:55:53 AM »
I think this has a lot to do with it as well.  Black QBs are often discounted as "athletes", implying that they don't have the mental capacity for the position.  This opinion is largely held by the old guard (read: decrepit white men) who are uncomfortable with the evolution of the game.  The traditional QB was a thoughtful white guy who had quiet reserve and a steely demeanor.  The "John Wayne" of the field, if you will.

Enter the Django-esque black QBs: Culpepper, Vick, Cam, etc.  They not only have to perform on the field, but they must also toe the line and give their best Carlton Banks impersonation to win the favor of the aforementioned old guard.  Those who don't are castigated.

I think it's great how the media narrative is now turning: Cam is gaining traction in the media (Cowherd is a huge supporter) and the haters are being exposed as bitter reactionaries.

I'm a decrepit old white guy and race has nothing to do with it.  Cam is the only one bringing up race and that's a pathetic attempt to deflect from the real issue.  And what does being castrated have to do with any of this?

I've never had a problem with celebrations...little dances....pulling out a sharpie....discount double-checking. The game should be fun for the players and fans.  But when your "Look at me" parties are so over the top and go on for so long, (even after the mundane first downs) that....and here's the key...you incite brawls in the endzone...that's a problem.  These aren't decrepit old men wanting to beat his ass. These are his peers and twice within the last year those guys have said enough is enough.

They're not going after him because he's beating them.  If that were the case, you'd see a fight break out after every game.  They're going after him for the same reasons Sir Charles said I'd make sure we took his ass out.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2016, 10:11:22 AM »
Cam is such a smug sumbitch

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2016, 10:30:40 AM »
I'm a decrepit old white guy and race has nothing to do with it.  Cam is the only one bringing up race and that's a pathetic attempt to deflect from the real issue.  And what does being castrated have to do with any of this?
First of all, like I said before, I think his quote was widely misinterpreted (intentionally, for clicks) and certainly hugely magnified compared to what he actually said. He certainly didn't flatly come out and say "People hate me just because I'm black", regardless of how the headlines paraphrase.

I've never had a problem with celebrations...little dances....pulling out a sharpie....discount double-checking. The game should be fun for the players and fans.  But when your "Look at me" parties are so over the top and go on for so long, (even after the mundane first downs) that....and here's the key...you incite brawls in the endzone...that's a problem.  These aren't decrepit old men wanting to beat his ass. These are his peers and twice within the last year those guys have said enough is enough.

Link? Like, what specifically do you take issue with? The dabbing after first downs? The one-second motion of covering his face with his elbow is so egregious and abnormal? He's the only player that ever shows any emotion after even small victories such as first downs, sacks, etc.? You're acting like he's out there doing throat-slashing motions or pretending to take a shit with the football (which I still thought was hilarious when Doug Baldwin did exactly that, by the way)

All he's doing is smiling, dabbing, and dancing after touchdowns (the latter, is pretty much the standard).

What exactly is your beef grandpa? I need more specificity than "Look at me parties".
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2016, 10:34:57 AM »

I've poked a few posters in this thread--which is a private matter--but I've seen Cam over-do his celebrations to my liking. Both, at AU and Carolina. BUT, and you have a huge butt, I've always thought that he is genuine.

And I think he has a good heart for kids, sick folks, etc. He could have me completely fooled but I will believe it till proven otherwise.

How many times have we seen this guy do stuff like this in person? A bunch if you watched him after games at AU.

Yeah, he's a showboat. I can deal with it. He backs it up.

And he his career may very well end in an horrific injury. But, it will probably have nothing to do with his celebrations and more about him actually trying to be Superman.

Rushing TD last week was a prime example. He could have easily chosen to cut left and avoid contact but he has to attempt a fly over his blocker and the defender and flip head first into the endzone. Because he's Cam. And, yes, it makes the highlight reels.

He's undeniably a showboat and the definition of extreme is very subjective.

I still love the man deeply.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2016, 10:52:56 AM »
First of all, like I said before, I think his quote was widely misinterpreted (intentionally, for clicks) and certainly hugely magnified compared to what he actually said. He certainly didn't flatly come out and say "People hate me just because I'm black", regardless of how the headlines paraphrase.

Link? Like, what specifically do you take issue with? The dabbing after first downs? The one-second motion of covering his face with his elbow is so egregious and abnormal? He's the only player that ever shows any emotion after even small victories such as first downs, sacks, etc.? You're acting like he's out there doing throat-slashing motions or pretending to take a shit with the football (which I still thought was hilarious when Doug Baldwin did exactly that, by the way)

All he's doing is smiling, dabbing, and dancing after touchdowns (the latter, is pretty much the standard).

What exactly is your beef grandpa? I need more specificity than "Look at me parties".

I'm sorry.  Did you say you wanted a link?  Here's something better.  Your Saints...you know...not old men...his peers...trying to beat his ass.  While you watch this one, I'll go see if I can find the video of the Titans trying to take him out. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2016, 10:58:16 AM »

Ok, the Saints were assholes. I'm not defending them for that. This isn't about defending the Saints, it's about defending Cam.

Why aren't we talking about Loftin? We think Cam was the problem and not Loftin in that video? Seriously? For coming up and shoving him for doing the little 2 second Superman celebration?

What did CAM do specifically, that in your mind warrented them starting the fight? Why is he the only player int he NFL not allowed to have a touchdown celebration move of any kind? The video also says quote:
Saints' frustration likely played a role here. They were getting their asses kicked 17-0 in the first quarter.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 10:59:54 AM by AUChizad »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2016, 10:59:35 AM »
I'm sorry.  Did you say you wanted a link?  Here's something better.  Your Saints...you know...not old men...his peers...trying to beat his ass.  While you watch this one, I'll go see if I can find the video of the Titans trying to take him out. 

Frustration because you're getting your ass kicked will do that to a man.  More unprofessional of the Saints to give in and lash out than for Cam to dab.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #52 on: January 29, 2016, 11:00:09 AM »
Frustration because you're getting your ass kicked will do that to a man.  More unprofessional of the Saints to give in and lash out than for Cam to dab.
Exactly. This.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #53 on: January 29, 2016, 11:05:33 AM »
I still love the man deeply.

Enough to have his baby?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #54 on: January 29, 2016, 11:30:21 AM »
Ok, the Saints were assholes. I'm not defending them for that. This isn't about defending the Saints, it's about defending Cam.

Why aren't we talking about Loftin? We think Cam was the problem and not Loftin in that video? Seriously? For coming up and shoving him for doing the little 2 second Superman celebration?

What did CAM do specifically, that in your mind warrented them starting the fight? Why is he the only player int he NFL not allowed to have a touchdown celebration move of any kind? The video also says quote:

The very title of the video says that his Superman celebration set off the fight. I'll post the comments again from Sir Charles that pretty much sums it up for me.

"Let me tell you something, as much as I love Cam Newton, if I played against Cam Newton, I'd put a hit on him, no question, because they rub it in pretty good. It's fun to watch, I guess, as a fan if you like Carolina, and I like sports and they're having so much fun, but it wouldn't be a lot of fun to play against, because if you're dabbing and Supermanning and kicking my butt, I'm going to get the players together and say, 'The first guy that can hit that guy, take him out. We got to get rid of him' because they rub it in pretty good."

I'm the same way.  I've said it many times in this thread.  I love the guy.  Love what he did for Auburn.  I'm pulling for Carolina next Sunday solely because of Cam. I've just thought his on the field "celebrations" have gone well beyond the norm.  What Chuck is saying here is simple. Having fun is one thing.  Taking it to the point that now you're just rubbing it in my face....

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #55 on: January 29, 2016, 11:42:05 AM »
The very title of the video says that his Superman celebration set off the fight. I'll post the comments again from Sir Charles that pretty much sums it up for me.

"Let me tell you something, as much as I love Cam Newton, if I played against Cam Newton, I'd put a hit on him, no question, because they rub it in pretty good. It's fun to watch, I guess, as a fan if you like Carolina, and I like sports and they're having so much fun, but it wouldn't be a lot of fun to play against, because if you're dabbing and Supermanning and kicking my butt, I'm going to get the players together and say, 'The first guy that can hit that guy, take him out. We got to get rid of him' because they rub it in pretty good."

I'm the same way.  I've said it many times in this thread.  I love the guy.  Love what he did for Auburn.  I'm pulling for Carolina next Sunday solely because of Cam. I've just thought his on the field "celebrations" have gone well beyond the norm.  What Chuck is saying here is simple. Having fun is one thing.  Taking it to the point that now you're just rubbing it in my face....
I always thought that you liked having it rubbed in your face. I won't do that next time, then. You should've said something sooner.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #56 on: January 29, 2016, 11:45:08 AM »

Please explain why  pantomiming unbuttoning your shirt to reveal a Superman "S" underneath, a move that takes less than 2 seconds, is somehow worse than what 99.9% of everyone in the NFL does after touchdowns. You can't.

Explain why that's deplorable, but these are OMG THE BEST CELEBRATIONS!!!

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #57 on: January 29, 2016, 11:56:57 AM »
The showboating will only worsen. If he stops or curbs it somewhat it will look as if it's a league directive. It's all of the talk and dwarfs any other pre- game drama in all of the previous Super Bowls. Fully expect the two teams to go pre-fight WWE which is what the novice youngster appreciates about sports in general. Shame it plays such a part of the contest in and of itself. Likely to be far more entertaining than the majority of halftime shows that I've seen though. Pulling for Cam and in some small way it could actually help Auburn so WDC!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #58 on: January 29, 2016, 12:18:25 PM »
Please explain why  pantomiming unbuttoning your shirt to reveal a Superman "S" underneath, a move that takes less than 2 seconds, is somehow worse than what 99.9% of everyone in the NFL does after touchdowns. You can't.

Explain why that's deplorable, but these are OMG THE BEST CELEBRATIONS!!!

RIF!!!!!  How many times does it have to be said that celebrations are fine?  Part of the game. Part of the NFL.  Part of professional sports.  Nobody is going after these guys for doing their thing.  IT'S THE NORM.  Got it?

But entire teams, not just the Saints, are taking exception enough to his "2 second" celebration to take it to brawl level. Nobody's going after these other guys.  They are going after Cam.  Why is that?  You can't explain it away by saying they acted unprofessionally.  Get real.  A bunch of testosterone filled beasts that bang heads for a living?  The whole profession is all about machismo.  I'll take the word of an Auburn man who was one of the best professional athletes of our time.  When it gets to the point of rubbing it in their faces.... I think he recognizes that far better than anyone on this board. 

2 second celebration?  You serious, Clark?   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #59 on: January 29, 2016, 12:33:55 PM »

rubbing it in their faces 

It's too bad they don't make band-aids for feelings.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions