Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Hope This Turns Out As Good As Coleman's Story

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Hope This Turns Out As Good As Coleman's Story
« on: January 30, 2016, 11:13:48 AM »
from the dot I am a gay twerker that has no balls!!!!  I also have no idea how to use the quote function to post stories, so I annoy the piss out of others.  I like male genatalia in and around my mouth. at al

Tashawn Manning's life was turned upside just two months ago.

The 17-year-old had just wrapped up his senior season at Wekiva High School in Apopka, Florida. He had performed well for the Mustangs on the offensive and defensive lines, but had been experiencing shortness of breath down the stretch.

His coaches thought anemia may have been the root of the problem, and the Mannings decided to consult with medical professionals. The results, which came on Thanksgiving Day, were as shocking as they were serious: cancer.

Tashawn began chemotherapy the following day to treat the acute promyelocytic leukemia, and his 6-foot-4, 276-pound frame began to shrink rapidly. He dropped approximately 45 pounds in the first four weeks of his treatment, but the dramatic weight loss recently came to an end — and that's not the only good news.

"As far as the leukemia cells that were in his bone marrow, before they were saying it was at 100 percent," Tashawn's father, Buck Manning, told AL.com. "Now he is down to zero leukemia cells. God bless. He's been upbeat, he doesn't do much moping around or feeling sorry for himself. He's probably taken it way better than I probably would."

Acute promyelocytic leukemia patients tend to have a high survival rate, and Tashawn is currently in the second of four chemotherapy stages. He committed to play football at Auburn last June, but those plans are on hold until he makes a full recovery — which may take up to two and a half years.

In the meantime, Tashawn hopes to enroll in online college courses this summer, whether through Auburn or a local school. Auburn has submitted a waiver to the NCAA with the hopes of freezing his eligibility clock until he is able to return to the field.

"They support Tashawn 100 percent," Buck Manning said of the Auburn coaches. "They did a really awesome job making sure we don't worry about the scholarship or football. They've made sure the focus is where it's supposed to be."

Auburn head coach Gus Malzahn and special teams coordinator Scott Fountain have been busy on the recruiting trail with National Signing Day approaching, but took the time to visit with Tashawn at his home as recently as last week. Since his diagnosis, Tashawn has drawn inspiration and courage from offensive lineman Shon Coleman, who battled cancer for nearly three years before making his Auburn debut in 2013. Coleman is now headed to the NFL after a stellar career on the Plains.

"They spoke on the phone and Shon was giving (Tashawn) some motivation and his testimony as far as what he went through and how he handled it," Buck Manning said. "It was real good for Tashawn. I remember him coming out of that conversation thinking, 'Shon did it.' It lifted his spirits and he seemed like he could do it too."

That kind of attitude from Tashawn is nothing new. Max Purcell, the offensive line coach at Wekiva, described him as a tough kid who never complains.

"Outstanding young man," Purcell said. "He's the biggest one in the class and the best behaved kid in the classroom. We works hard at practice. He just has those characteristics that everybody loves. He's a young man who respects his teachers, respects his peers, respects his family and respects the community. He's a great citizen. You could put him in any situation and you could trust him."

As Tashawn continues to fight, the community has rallied behind him. Wekiva High School recently set up a golf tournament to raise funds while the family sought help online. More than $15,000 has been raised in the last month for Tashawn's medical expenses at GoFundMe.com. The support has been a mix of locals and Auburn fans.

"The Auburn family has come through like 'War Eagle,'" Buck Manning said. "Everyone's praying for Tashawn. Not just monetary donations — people are sending their prayers to Tashawn. We're in Orlando. So it makes me feel good that if I send my son up to Auburn he's not going to be just another athlete up there. He's not going to be someone who gets lost in the cracks. Somebody's going to be looking out and keeping track of him."

"I cannot wait to see him line up at Auburn two years from now when he's 100 percent," Purcell added. "He's going to be a really outstanding player. I don't care where they play him — offense or defense — he's going to be an outstanding player."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."