Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

QB 2016

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
QB 2016
« on: December 15, 2015, 10:21:51 PM »
Just finished watching a bunch of film on our incoming QB's for 2016.  Woody Barrett and John Franklin III.  First, let's assume for a second that there's nothing on campus right now that gives anyone hope for a bright future at AU. It's been said many times that we were a legit QB away from 10 or more wins and bigger things to come.  I beg to differ on some of that because our D still sucked (s).  But you digress.

Jeremy Johnson is not going to morph into Super Fucking Man and while Sean White could really do some good things at AU, I think most on here believe he's not exactly ideal to run Malzahn's system.  I also beg to differ because he's done some serious offensive shit with QB's similar to White.  But, let's talk about 2016.  Barrett and JF III (Please don't get into the RG III comparisons) come in to compete for the job.  Are either worthy?

When you compare Barrett to Franklin on film, it's not a fair fight.  Anyone thinking Franklin is going to step in here and become Nick Marshall Part Dooooo...think again.  The guy is 6' if that.  180 soaking wet with 10 pound dumbbells stuffed in his pockets.  And his only other offer besides Auburn was from Buffalo.  The film I saw was nothing more than snap the ball to him and he scrambles.  Not read option. Not pass.  Just wildcat scramble shittastic.  I haven't seen his stats. Maybe there's much more to him.  Show me.  But I face palmed after watching him and realizing we beat out Buff-A-Fucking-Lo for his services.  Don't think he threw 3 passes in the highlight reel I watched.  All snap...scramble.

Barrett?  It was a highlight film.  They call it that for a reason.  What I saw was a big, fast, physical kid who ran the read option.  Made all the throws.  Actually went through progressions.  He's 6'3" 225 and really, really tough to bring down.  Serious touch on his passes. But...

He's a true freshman.  Can you really expect a true frosh to excel under Malzahn?  We'll see when they get these guys in camp and let em' run against D1 players.  But the Debbie Downer in me thinks, Sean White better get his shit together for 2016.  Franklin does nothing for me.  Barrett looks awesome, but he's a freshman.  Jeremy Johnson is option zero.  So...

Pull it up.  Watch some film.  Tell me what you think.       
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
Re: QB 2016
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 10:25:02 PM »
I think he's going to lose a good bit of top end speed with those dumbbells in his pocket.  Unless, of course, that is teh WOD.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 11:39:35 PM »
I can't wait 'til RG...I mean, JF3 gets here.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2015, 12:11:28 AM »
I like the Barrett kid. Watched film on both. Woody is a true cowboy.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2015, 07:08:56 AM »
I like the Barrett kid. Watched film on both. Woody is a true cowboy.

He's lightyears away.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

jmar

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2015, 07:55:15 AM »
He's lightyears away.
Pretty obvious difference just looking at the thick lower body and run style. Just don't forget the maturity level. Franklin might wow right away or just provide depth. My Might do one season even. I would be hard pressed to think anyone could match with NM though. Barrett has that J.Brissett body type, only much faster and elusive.
I really like White and I hope whatever develops from this works out for him. I liken him to Conner Shaw a bit. A shame we are too fucked-up to get it right. Genius my ass.

Still, as a true fan I realize we have to fish or cut bait when it comes to what's good for the team and the future.
And if this bunch signs another pro-style QB may they be fired on the spot.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 03:47:34 PM by jmar »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2015, 08:33:38 AM »
He's lightyears away.
He runs like there's a snake in his boots
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2015, 09:07:15 AM »
Can the next coaching staff coming in here use these dudes? That's the question we should be asking.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2015, 09:44:44 AM »
So, it sounds like you guys have analyzed the film and anointed JF3 and Woody as good as you said Jeremy Johnson was going to be after you analyzed his film. Wow!

I'm stoked again.
#letwthandleevals #jf3heisman
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2015, 09:59:24 AM »
He runs like there's a snake in his boots

He reaches for the sky.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2015, 10:04:53 AM »
So, it sounds like you guys have analyzed the film and anointed JF3 and Woody as good as you said Jeremy Johnson was going to be after you analyzed his film. Wow!

I'm stoked again.

#youjustshutupthen

We're bona fide
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2015, 10:28:10 AM »

I'm stoked again.
What do we do if JJ suddenly finds his groove again...you know magically? #webebonafiedalright
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2015, 10:57:12 AM »
What do we do if JJ suddenly finds his groove again...you know magically? #webebonafiedalright

I will be too busy flying to the moon on my unicorn to worry.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2015, 12:40:46 PM »
Prowlie.  Honest assessment on why you think Franklin 3 is going to be the shiznit.  I'm not downing the guy at all. Supposedly the #1 JUCO Athlete coming out.  Same as Jason Smith last year.  So, there's something to him. I hope he or Barrett or White...hell, anybody comes in and takes control of this offense and we start clicking again. 

Let me preface this by agreeing (As much as I hate to) with WT earlier.  I was on the J. Johnson bandwagon.  I watched film.  I bought the hype. I thought he'd go down as one of the greats here.  ***Cue sound of air being let out of balloon***  So, I'm a damn fine evaluator of talent.  That's obvious.  Still, I'm not seeing what any of the fuss is over Clifford Franklin III.  He's really fast!!! Oregon fast!!!  That's about it.

If you watch all those highlights, he's not running the read option.  Nothing like it.  Most of the time he's just taking the snap and either scrambling out of the shotgun or when he's under center, he takes off around the end.  He's just fast enough to get around some JUCO kids.  A few pretty throws in there but the fact is, he averaged about 80 yards a game passing.  Less than 60% accuracy.  He rushed for 50 a game. And I know this doesn't mean he will or won't have success, but according to the sites I saw, his only other offer was from Buffalo.

Look, I'll be pulling for him or whoever is back there. And I'm sure he can do some great things with his athleticism.  Plus, he does talk the talk.  But if that's all he brings to the table, SEC defenses will cut this guy in half.  Tell me why Clifford Franklin is going to kick ass on the planez. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2015, 01:06:53 PM »
Clifford Franklin is lookin for a new ho
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2015, 02:07:31 PM »
Clifford Franklin is lookin for a new ho

I admit it.  At first I was scared.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2015, 02:18:31 PM »
Prowlie.  Honest assessment on why you think Franklin 3 is going to be the shiznit.  I'm not downing the guy at all. Supposedly the #1 JUCO Athlete coming out.  Same as Jason Smith last year.  So, there's something to him. I hope he or Barrett or White...hell, anybody comes in and takes control of this offense and we start clicking again. 

Let me preface this by agreeing (As much as I hate to) with WT earlier.  I was on the J. Johnson bandwagon.  I watched film.  I bought the hype. I thought he'd go down as one of the greats here.  ***Cue sound of air being let out of balloon***  So, I'm a damn fine evaluator of talent.  That's obvious.  Still, I'm not seeing what any of the fuss is over Clifford Franklin III.  He's really fast!!! Oregon fast!!!  That's about it.

If you watch all those highlights, he's not running the read option.  Nothing like it.  Most of the time he's just taking the snap and either scrambling out of the shotgun or when he's under center, he takes off around the end.  He's just fast enough to get around some JUCO kids.  A few pretty throws in there but the fact is, he averaged about 80 yards a game passing.  Less than 60% accuracy.  He rushed for 50 a game. And I know this doesn't mean he will or won't have success, but according to the sites I saw, his only other offer was from Buffalo.

Look, I'll be pulling for him or whoever is back there. And I'm sure he can do some great things with his athleticism.  Plus, he does talk the talk.  But if that's all he brings to the table, SEC defenses will cut this guy in half.  Tell me why Clifford Franklin is going to kick ass on the planez.
Prowler asked me to tell you that he doesn't have time to fuck with you and to not ever call him Prowlie again. Or, he'll fuck you up.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2015, 02:24:57 PM »
I look like I just jacked off an elephant.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2015, 04:31:47 PM »

But if that's all he brings to the table, SEC defenses will cut this guy in half. 

Looks like they already have?

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2015, 06:58:20 PM »

I didn't see any read options, most of the runs were designed QB runs. He's fast, faster than Marshall and he has a pretty good arm (good enough arm). Auburn just needs a QB Coach that can teach him how to read defenses...or atleast teach him to no throw into double/triple coverage. I'm thinking that there's the flaw in Gus' system, he doesn't teach the QBs how to read defenses, there's no time for it. Some of the passes are designed per the play called. So, if you have a guy like JF3 or Jason Smith (who should've been the QB this year) they have good enough arms, but their elusiveness will make the Safeties and LBers hesitate just enough. With JJ & White, no one is worried about them running, plus our receivers are subpar (we don't have a receiver that commands attention). So again, someone like JF3, Woody or Jason Smith with decent arms and fast legs will command attention...that and, IMO Coach Malzahn calls a better game with a QB that can tuck it and fly when he doesn't want to throw into double/triple coverage.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs