Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

New OC in Theory....

Re: New OC in Theory....
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2015, 05:11:48 PM »
My memory is short, and had to go back and look at '14.  I forgot that we should have been in the hunt for it all, but for having no defense.  That could have easily been a 10-11 win team with just a break or 2 here or there even not having any defense.

Outside of the Georgia game, that team could have not only won but blown out every team in spite of the defense.

But the offense had faults too. It started in the Mississippi State game. We have not been able to score in the red zone since September of 2014.

The end of this season has given me a little hope. I'm still pissed at the state of the program. But with our defense improving, if we can get Malzahn's offense back, we should be able to compete for the West.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

jmar

« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2015, 05:09:32 AM »
Outside of the Georgia game, that team could have not only won but blown out every team in spite of the defense.

But the offense had faults too. It started in the Mississippi State game. We have not been able to score in the red zone since September of 2014.

The end of this season has given me a little hope. I'm still pissed at the state of the program. But with our defense improving, if we can get Malzahn's offense back, we should be able to compete for the West.
The conference Baylor plays in is far different defensively than the SEC.  That said, I assure you that Gus' style isn't a fight from your back mentality.  Yes, this season, it looked ugly...because it was.  After 3 games, Gus/Lashlee were waffling back and forth between grab-bagging the offense, and going untra conservative. 
Defensively yes. That conference is more like Oregon with some big athletic line play but Baylor plugs and plays, never wavering from what they do. They don't go in a shell.

Conversely our offense without the zone read is all but hamstrung. I don't recall any Counter Trey, only Power and Sweeps with Bubble Screens which is all but a run play.

Then we have much of the same happening with the pass patterns where so many times we ran the same failed pattern as if it were practice.
Where is the "genius" in limiting an offense to 12-15 plays with occasional variations? Sure it's about execution, but the opposing defenses adjust which IMO is why we often hit a wall (PUNT, PUNT) after halftime.

We might even open the third quarter with the same scripted plays we began with.
They'll never know what hit 'em.
Just give us a dual threat QB and let him move the chains.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2015, 08:33:19 AM »
While the conventional wisdom is Gus needs a dual threat QB to make things go...I still don't think it's true, it just makes things that much better when he has that, but he can absolutely function at a high level with a guy that can be a QB within the Run/Play Actiottcn passing scheme.  Conversely, no offense functions well with the likes of JJ at the controls.

Gus's system will not work without a dual threat/mobile QB.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2015, 08:55:16 AM »

The fuck did you just say?

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2015, 09:09:29 AM »
Gus's system will not work without a dual threat/mobile QB an experienced and mean H-Back that can make the big block when needed and catch the ball on a wheel route as well.

Fixt
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2015, 09:20:25 AM »
Gus' offense was good enough to win Saturday if the QB could simply hit wide open receivers and/or those receivers could catch it when he did hit them.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2015, 09:37:09 AM »
Gus' offense was good enough to win Saturday if the QB could simply hit wide open receivers and/or those receivers could catch it when he did hit them.
and we could make a tackle on Proactiv
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2015, 09:42:32 AM »

The WRs certainly did not help.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2015, 09:56:03 AM »
With where we were sitting, Ricardo Lewith was running right towards us and it was like the seas parted. Wide open and you could see JJ pick him up and turn it loose.....5 yards out of reach.  Deflating!  But then, it's pretty much a 50/50 proposition if he does hit him in stride.  No guarantee that Lewtih is going to catch it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2015, 10:48:41 AM »
The fuck did you just say?

That team was only a hair better than this one. It just had a QB that didnt LOSE games. That team got blown out against Ark and LSU, and the O stalled against good D's. His O does work best with a dual threat...period. No offense to Paul Smith or Chris Todd, but would you prefer either of those (or JJ) over Nick and Cam??

This year in a nutshell is two things:

1. We have a coach coaching with his asshole puckered and with suit wearing snarmy goons breathing down his neck

2. We seriously misfired on our QB right out of the gate and did our best to salvage what did end up being there instead of what we thought was there.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 11:10:02 AM by GH2001 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2015, 10:54:55 AM »
I think that the WR problem with catches can be attributed to them being shocked when the ball is actually thrown within reach. It has happened so few times with JJ that it's like being hit with a bolt of lightning or hitting the lottery.

"Oh shit! This one isn't 7 yards behind me and 12 foot high! I've actually got a chan.....Dammit!"
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2015, 11:06:19 AM »
I think that the WR problem with catches can be attributed to them being shocked when the ball is actually thrown within reach. It has happened so few times with JJ that it's like being hit with a bolt of lightning or hitting the lottery.

"Oh shit! This one isn't 7 yards behind me and 12 foot high! I've actually got a chan.....Dammit!"

I think we should switch Countess to receiver. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2015, 11:22:19 AM »
I was chastised by a Bama fan after telling him how little I thought of the decision to run fucking Derrick Henry again with 30 seconds left trying to get his cro magnon ass another score. 

He pointed out that if our receiver catches the ball for a wide open first down, Henry never sees the field. 

He's right, of course, but that doesn't change the fact that the trigger-fish fuck was still in there getting carries with the game in hand.  So still... fuck them until they die.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2015, 12:16:55 PM »
In Gus's third year why didn't he have this said QB on campus?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"X's and O's they haunt Gus" - Elle King

GH2001

« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2015, 12:31:07 PM »

Good question.

I think it CAN work and be serviceable with a non-dual threat. It just isn't gonna hum like we were used to seeing in 2010, 2013 and most of 2014 (I think there were some chemistry issues with Harbison and Whitehead).

I imagine in practice Jeremy looked all world and that the bets were that he would be at minimum serviceable like Chris Todd or Paul Smith. No one could have predicted fully how full tard JJ would be in game. He was on most preseason lists for anything that was good. It was simply a misfire.

Now we have Barret coming in, and as soon as shit hit the fan - you saw Gus go and grab JF3. He at least has seen the mistake and is trying to adjust.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 12:32:53 PM by GH2001 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #55 on: December 01, 2015, 12:46:14 PM »

IMO I think they thought they had it in Jeremy.  When you can't hit QB's in practice, JJ probably looked all world.  He was wrong.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

« Reply #56 on: December 01, 2015, 01:01:29 PM »
IMO I think they thought they had it in Jeremy.  When you can't hit QB's in practice, JJ probably looked all world.  He was wrong.
This is the only thing that really has me scared. He missed on Keihl and Jeremy.  I hope his new guy is lightning in a bottle.

IMO yall are giving the "offensive genius" too much leniency. Hard questions should be asked as to why the QB situation at Auburn is maybe a little better than mediocre  ever since Sean White started playing with 1 leg.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"X's and O's they haunt Gus" - Elle King

GH2001

« Reply #57 on: December 01, 2015, 02:13:29 PM »
This is the only thing that really has me scared. He missed on Keihl and Jeremy.  I hope his new guy is lightning in a bottle.

IMO yall are giving the "offensive genius" too much leniency. Hard questions should be asked as to why the QB situation at Auburn is maybe a little better than mediocre  ever since Sean White started playing with 1 leg.

I dont disagree with that at all. Its ultimately on Gus. And I think hes earned the chance to right it with the next guy, next year. He doesn't then? Well, its become a trend at that point and something will need to happen. BUt I give him a slight pass this year on Jeremy. No one saw that fuck up coming...not to the degree that it did.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #58 on: December 01, 2015, 02:20:43 PM »
I dont disagree with that at all. Its ultimately on Gus. And I think hes earned the chance to right it with the next guy, next year. He doesn't then? Well, its become a trend at that point and something will need to happen. BUt I give him a slight pass this year on Jeremy. No one saw that fuck up coming...not to the degree that it did.

This is they was Malzahn will have to sell him keeping his offensive coaching staff intact along with going all in with either JFIII or the Barrett kid. I would imagine Gus is feeling some heat regarding this which is the initial point of this thread. On another note, I am curious how Gus will sell the idea to Muschamp to stick for another year as DC.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #59 on: December 01, 2015, 06:17:34 PM »

Your concern is valid. And all you have to do is look at the depth chart where none of the scholarship QBs are Dual Threat types. So there looks to be a daring break toward more of a Pro-style signal caller with JJ already on campus, then adding White followed by Queen the following season. Tuberville is also on the roster.
Good question.

I think it CAN work and be serviceable with a non-dual threat. It just isn't gonna hum like we were used to seeing in 2010, 2013 and most of 2014 (I think there were some chemistry issues with Harbison and Whitehead).

I imagine in practice Jeremy looked all world and that the bets were that he would be at minimum serviceable like Chris Todd or Paul Smith. No one could have predicted fully how full tard JJ would be in game. He was on most preseason lists for anything that was good. It was simply a misfire.

Now we have Barret coming in, and as soon as shit hit the fan - you saw Gus go and grab JF3. He at least has seen the mistake and is trying to adjust.
I'll agree it was a misfire with JJ but Gus went totally away from recruiting Dual Threat QBs.
And now it's a clusterfuck!

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions