Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Thoughts - Smiling with a Bitter Beer Face

Thoughts - Smiling with a Bitter Beer Face
« on: November 08, 2015, 10:34:08 AM »
Auburn

- I'm still grumpy. I'm happy. But I'm grumpy.

- Jeremy Johnson did a great job last night. He didn't set the world on fire, but I do think he showed that if needed, he could keep the wheels going this season. Those wheels are kinda boxy, rickety, and worn, but I think we can still beat Idaho if JJ starts. Unlike a few weeks ago when, you know, we almost couldn't beat Jax State with him starting.

- Play calling felt better, but I think that's because our basic run plays were working with Jovon Robinson. I still don't understand what Gus is thinking.

- JJ threw the ball 9 times in our first two drives, both of which ended with touchdowns. He only threw the ball 14 more times the rest of the game. In fact, in the 1st half after going up 14-3, JJ threw the ball one more time and we ran the ball the rest of the half. Half time score? 14-3.

- We also started the game by stretching the field. Lots of end runs. Some quick throws. It opened up the run game. Then we shut it down by becoming predictable.

- Why? I mean, it worked, sorta. We finished the game with 443 yards of total offense but after the two touchdowns to open the game, we had to settle for four field goals.

- Defensively, we looked a lot better. A whole lot better. Guys were in position to make tackles, and they made them. We took advantage of the opposing team having issues, which is something most of our opponents haven't seemed to have. Still some issues in the front 7 stopping the run game, but I can't complain about our team having three interceptions and keeping their athletes from making big plays.

Alabama-LSU

- Anyone surprised? Five straight victories for Saban over Miles.

- It's the same game plan every year. Really, it's the same damn game every year. Miles runs his tailback right into Alabama's strength and then wonders why he's losing.

- You cannot defeat Alabama playing muscle ball. You definitely cannot move your offense against Alabama playing muscle ball. In fact, I don't think since 2008 that Alabama has lost a game of muscle ball outside of 2011 LSU. And even then, Alabama's defense shut down LSU's offense. LSU's defense just so happened to be comparable to Alabama's that year.

- Going back to 2008, Alabama has lost to the following teams (plus offensive system):

Florida (spread)
Utah (spread)
South Carolina (more pro-style but Spurrier likes to throw)
LSU (muscle ball)
Auburn (spread)
LSU (muscle ball)
Texas A&M (spread)
Auburn (spread)
Oklahoma (spread)
Ole Miss (spread)
Ohio State (spread)
Ole Miss (spread)

- If I were a betting man, I would have placed the largest bet I could muster on Alabama last night. It's too obvious that if a team is going to slam helmets as their game plan that Alabama is going to win. In fact, if you asked me to pick between these two BEFORE yesterday: LSU winning @Alabama or Auburn beating Alabama at home, I'd probably say it's safer to go with Auburn. At least Gus knows how to move the ball against a Saban defense.

The Melt

- I'm so over watching Alabama have the same goddamn season every year. Every year I'm told that Alabama looks a bit weaker than before. That you can look at the Ole Miss or Tennessee games. Look at the Arkansas game! Oh, their running back is overrated. Their QB actually sucks. But every year, they get better each week, catch a loss that doesn't affect them at all, and eventually go on to have a 1 or 2 loss season with a good shot at a championship.

- It's gotten so boring that I'm numb to it. Maybe Miss State or Auburn can catch them sleeping. Maybe. Probably not.

Going Forward

- Like I said, I'm grumpy. I don't think we'll beat Georgia or Alabama. I love our players giving it their all though. They seem to really care about getting better, achieving something for themselves, and making sure that Auburn doesn't fall completely off the map.

- We're going bowling. That's good. I just hope we can get one more victory over a rival and stay away from Birmingham.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
Re: Thoughts - Smiling with a Bitter Beer Face
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 10:57:25 AM »
We will beat Georgia.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I stood up, unzipped my pants, lowered my shorts and placed my bare ass on the window. That's the last thing I wanted those people to see of me."

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015, 11:29:04 AM »
Why do people keep saying JJ did a "Great" job.

He did what was asked. He didn't make but maybe two reads the whole game.

Tubs jr could have handed off 57 times and made most of those predetermined throws.

Damn happy for the win. Scared if we have to actually throw the ball with JJ.

Confused that since JJ did not throw two INTs, that folks call it a great performance. We have been conditioned poorly!

Damn good win with JR being a real deal beast!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2015, 11:33:04 AM »
The only real negative I saw was the 20 times JJ could have kept the ball on the read and gone for big yardage.  Can't recall if he ever did keep it.  Seemed scripted.  Kudos to him, though.  Came out fired up.  Managed the game and made all the throws he was asked to make.  And kudos to the staff for sending JJ out there with a game plan that fit what he's capable of right now.

All of this.

From an anonymous trusted source in the know!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2015, 11:34:01 AM »

Tubs jr could have handed off 57 times and made most of those predetermined throws.

Confused that since JJ did not throw two INTs, that folks call it a great performance. We have been conditioned poorly!

But what they asked of him, he did well. I can't take anything away from his performance. He threw some great balls. He had ONE boneheaded pass, but it didn't lead to a turnover. It looked like Gus was able to audible to some different plays throughout the game without worrying about a JJ herp derp.

My question is kinda the same one I've had for weeks now. Why is it that when something seems to be going well, we change it up? Barber's a beast? Put in Jovon. Jovon's a beast? Put Barber back in. JJ's throwing well and we're scoring touchdowns due to the dynamic offense? Stop throwing and run the ball.

It's just an observation that confuses me. I'm sure Gus has a reason. Probably to eat clock and keep our defense rested and confident. But while I was happy with the game last night, I'm still a bit grumpy that we should have had at least 8 more points (two touchdowns instead of two field goals) and who knows, maybe all four field goals could have been touchdowns.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2015, 11:36:47 AM »

Yes listen to this man, at least this once.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2015, 11:40:13 AM »
The only thing worse than having to watch Alabama thunder fuck an LSU team that refused to try to widen the field and kept sending Fournette up the middle was having to listen to Verne and Gary jerk off to it in the booth. I'm ready for that chubby fuckhole to choke to death on a pastrami sandwich.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2015, 11:55:33 AM »
Also - Anyone else notice that Tray Mathews was out with an injury and suddenly we're not giving up big plays?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2015, 12:11:00 PM »
But what they asked of him, he did well. I can't take anything away from his performance. He threw some great balls. He had ONE boneheaded pass, but it didn't lead to a turnover. It looked like Gus was able to audible to some different plays throughout the game without worrying about a JJ herp derp.

My question is kinda the same one I've had for weeks now. Why is it that when something seems to be going well, we change it up? Barber's a beast? Put in Jovon. Jovon's a beast? Put Barber back in. JJ's throwing well and we're scoring touchdowns due to the dynamic offense? Stop throwing and run the ball.

It's just an observation that confuses me. I'm sure Gus has a reason. Probably to eat clock and keep our defense rested and confident. But while I was happy with the game last night, I'm still a bit grumpy that we should have had at least 8 more points (two touchdowns instead of two field goals) and who knows, maybe all four field goals could have been touchdowns.

Agreed.

I have to also give kudos to the coaches. Finally they call the game according to the talent.

I wonder if they would have called the same type of game with SW?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2015, 01:13:12 PM »
The only thing worse than having to watch Alabama thunder fuck an LSU team that refused to try to widen the field and kept sending Fournette up the middle was having to listen to Verne and Gary jerk off to it in the booth. I'm ready for that chubby fuckhole to choke to death on a pastrami sandwich.
I was hoping the same for Musberger last night.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I stood up, unzipped my pants, lowered my shorts and placed my bare ass on the window. That's the last thing I wanted those people to see of me."

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2015, 01:15:14 PM »
JJ did a great job.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2015, 01:53:57 PM »
I kept waiting on the other shoe to drop.  I kept waiting on them to change things up, because certainly they had a plan B if they couldn't run with much success.  It looks like Miles wanted to use that game as a platform to win Fournette the Heisman and couldn't see the forest for the trees.  That's the only thing that explains their offensive gameplan.  I really think that Miles is stubborn enough to do this, which sucks for the rest of the team.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2015, 02:01:06 PM »
JJ did a great job.

YOU people always stick together!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2015, 02:08:43 PM »
Musberger actually voiced concern for Murray the A&M QB in his post game notes...but never mentioned AU CB Dinson who is likely done for the year with a leg injury inflicted on that targeting no-call.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2015, 02:55:28 PM »
Musberger actually voiced concern for Murray the A&M QB in his post game notes...but never mentioned AU CB Dinson who is likely done for the year with a leg injury inflicted on that targeting no-call.
I believe that the Auburn faithful should request an on air apology from Musberger, his LSU/bama play by play calling was really god damn unnecessary. If I wanted to know how that game was going, I would change the channel to watch it. I couldn't give two fucks about that game, but yet, every few minutes "bama's Henry just punched it into the endzone for another ALAGH BAMAGH Touchdown!!!"
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2015, 03:14:23 PM »
I believe that the Auburn faithful should request an on air apology from Musberger, his LSU/bama play by play calling was really god damn unnecessary. If I wanted to know how that game was going, I would change the channel to watch it. I couldn't give two fucks about that game, but yet, every few minutes "bama's Henry just punched it into the endzone for another ALAGH BAMAGH Touchdown!!!"

Yeah, what the hell was that?

I don't think I've watched a Palmer/Musberger game yet this year. Do they do that every game? They're pretty much advertising that their game is shit and the other games are worth paying attention to.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2015, 05:21:00 PM »
Glad y'all brought that up about Mushturder and Palmer.  Oh, and did anyone catch on the non-targeting BS, that while they were replaying it, Mushwerder said, "He went helmet to helmet, Jess".  Then they reversed the call and he says, "Got him with the shoulder, Jess."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2015, 09:13:54 AM »
My god he is horrible.  I actually felt bad for king douchebag Palmer, wondering what the fuck did I do to get stuck with this guy. The feeling passed.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2015, 09:16:42 AM »
Yeah, what the hell was that?

I don't think I've watched a Palmer/Musberger game yet this year. Do they do that every game? They're pretty much advertising that their game is shit and the other games are worth paying attention to.
Glad you brought that up I was thinking the same damn thing.  No in fact I have never seen them do that THS.  The only time I have ever seen them talk about other games is when they are showing clips. 

That was fucked up and pissed me off.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum